|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Jinny when the reader encounters her in Section 6?
(a) "Not yet thirty."
(b) "Nearly thirty-five."
(c) "Past thirty."
(d) "Just forty."
2. What are the characters doing as their monologues progress in Section 8?
(a) They are still in the restaurant, eating.
(b) Going to Percival's grave.
(c) Walking together through the streets.
(d) Riding to Elvedon together.
3. Which of the characters recognizes themselves as the group's strongest member in Section 5?
4. When Neville hears the significant news in Section 5, to what does he compare it?
(a) The end of his life.
(b) Waking from a dream.
(c) The kiss between Jinny and Louis.
(d) The loss of a family member.
5. Who has the first monologue of this Section 6?
Short Answer Questions
1. To what kind of historical figures does Louis compare himself in Section 6?
2. What significant fact do we learn about Louis's love-life in the course of his major Section 7 monologue?
3. Who notices the hand-holding between two characters in Section 8?
4. What is the effect of the sun's beams at the beginning of Section 5?
5. Who is the next speaker in Section 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Susan appears in Section 6.
2. Elaborate on what Rhoda identifies as the problems the characters have faced in their lives in Section 8.
3. How does the structure of Section 5 parallel the development of the characters?
4. Why is it significant that Bernard is not the first speaker in Section 5?
5. The first thing the reader learns in Section 5 is that Percival has died. How did he die, and who does it seem to have the strongest effect on?
6. Describe how the characters feel during the dinner they share in Section 8.
7. Characterize Neville's state of mind as he appears at the end of Section 6.
8. What are the characters doing at the beginning of Section 8, and why is that important?
9. Which image becomes more dominant in Section 8's introductory vignette, and what do you think it signifies?
10. What do the characters do after they leave the restaurant in Section 8, and what happens then?
This section contains 1,356 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)