|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Section 7, which two people does Susan name as those she "thinks sometimes of"?
(a) Neville and Percival.
(b) Jinny and Rhoda.
(c) Percival and Rhoda.
(d) Bernard and Louis.
2. What is the dominant feature of the monologues during the middle of Section 8?
(a) Only Susan and Neville speak.
(b) Bernard speaks alone.
(c) There is constant interplay.
(d) Only Rhoda and Percival speak.
3. Who "gape[s] like a young bird, unsatisfied, for something that has escaped me" in Section 8?
4. In Section 7, how does the poem which Louis muses on begin?
(a) "O western wind . . ."
(b) "The rain set early in to-night . . ."
(c) "In Xanadu did Kubla Khan . . ."
(d) "One must have a mind of winter . . ."
5. In Section 5, Neville struggles to accomplish what simple act?
(a) Climbing stairs.
(c) Getting out of bed.
(d) Getting dressed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is most notable about Jinny's Section 6 monologue?
2. Which of the characters recognizes themselves as the group's strongest member in Section 5?
3. In Section 7, where is Louis's new house?
4. How does Jinny characterize her social life as it is in Section 6?
5. At one point in Section 6, Jinny says she is being "flung up, and flung down, like . . ." what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the characters feel during the dinner they share in Section 8.
2. Characterize Neville's state of mind as he appears at the end of Section 6.
3. Describe how Jinny appears in Section 6.
4. What is significant about how Rhoda appears in Section 7?
5. Describe the way Louis is characterized in Section 7.
6. Characterize the way Bernard appears in Section 5.
7. What is most notable about Section 5's opening description and why?
8. In Section 6, we encounter the three character who were omitted from the previous section. Describe their places in life at this point.
9. Describe how Susan appears in Section 6.
10. What do the characters do after they leave the restaurant in Section 8, and what happens then?
This section contains 1,371 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)