|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bernard seem to be struggling to do during his final monologue of Section 8?
2. At one point in Section 6, Jinny says she is being "flung up, and flung down, like . . ." what?
(a) A ball being played with.
(b) A ship in the sea.
(c) The waves.
(d) A ragdoll.
3. Where do we learn Bernard travels to in Section 7?
4. How old is Jinny when the reader encounters her in Section 6?
(a) "Nearly thirty-five."
(b) "Past thirty."
(c) "Just forty."
(d) "Not yet thirty."
5. Who does Bernard decide against comforting in Section 5?
Short Answer Questions
1. On what street is Rhoda walking when the reader encounters her in Section 5?
2. In Section 6, Who remarks, "Percival has died . . . Life passes."?
3. Who has the first monologue of this Section 6?
4. What is most notable about Jinny's Section 6 monologue?
5. Who is the first speaker in Section 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Jinny appears in Section 6.
2. Why doesn't Percival's death have a strong effect on Bernard in Section 5?
3. What do the characters do after they leave the restaurant in Section 8, and what happens then?
4. Characterize the way Bernard appears in Section 5.
5. How does Bernard's role change in Section 8, and what evidence do you have to support that?
6. Why does Bernard travel to Rome in Section 7?
7. Why is it significant that Bernard is not the first speaker in Section 5?
8. Which image becomes more dominant in Section 8's introductory vignette, and what do you think it signifies?
9. What is significant about how Rhoda appears in Section 7?
10. What is most notable about Section 5's opening description and why?
This section contains 1,334 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)