|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who "gape[s] like a young bird, unsatisfied, for something that has escaped me" in Section 8?
2. Which of the characters begins Section 8?
3. Who is Section 6's last speaker?
4. In Section 6, who does Susan deride towards the end of her monologue?
5. For how long does Bernard stay where he travels in Section 7?
(a) Ten days.
(b) Twenty days.
(c) One week.
(d) One month.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do we learn Bernard travels to in Section 7?
2. In Section 8, when does Bernard arrive in relation to the other characters?
3. What kind of insect does Woolf describe in the elaborate simile at the beginning of Section 7?
4. What is Susan doing when she begins her Section 7 monologue?
5. What do we learn from the end of Louis's major monologue in Section 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Characterize Neville's state of mind as he appears at the end of Section 6.
2. Describe the way Louis is characterized in Section 7.
3. Why does Bernard travel to Rome in Section 7?
4. In Section 6, we encounter the three character who were omitted from the previous section. Describe their places in life at this point.
5. What are the characters doing at the beginning of Section 8, and why is that important?
6. Describe how the characters feel during the dinner they share in Section 8.
7. What is different about Susan in Section 7?
8. What do the characters do after they leave the restaurant in Section 8, and what happens then?
9. How does Bernard's role change in Section 8, and what evidence do you have to support that?
10. Which image becomes more dominant in Section 8's introductory vignette, and what do you think it signifies?
This section contains 1,334 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)