|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is holding Louis's hand in Section 8?
2. Where do we learn Bernard travels to in Section 7?
3. Where do we find the sun at the beginning of Section 7?
(a) "Low in the sky."
(b) "Lower in the sky."
(c) "Lowest in the sky."
(d) "High in the sky."
4. Who is Section 6's last speaker?
5. What separates Neville's monologue from the others in Section 6?
(a) He is the most content of any of the characters.
(b) He is least troubled by Percival's death.
(c) He is least aware of aging.
(d) He is most aware of aging.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what street is Rhoda walking when the reader encounters her in Section 5?
2. Who notices the hand-holding between two characters in Section 8?
3. Who refers to "the hieroglyphs written on other people's faces" in Section 6?
4. In Section 6, who does Susan deride towards the end of her monologue?
5. What one word is repeated throughout Susan's monologue in Section 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the structure of Section 5 parallel the development of the characters?
2. How is Section 6's opening description distinct, and what should the reader expect from the rest of the section?
3. What do the characters do after they leave the restaurant in Section 8, and what happens then?
4. Characterize Neville's state of mind as he appears at the end of Section 6.
5. Which image becomes more dominant in Section 8's introductory vignette, and what do you think it signifies?
6. Characterize the way Bernard appears in Section 5.
7. What is the significance of the way the birds are depicted in Section 7's introduction?
8. What are the characters doing at the beginning of Section 8, and why is that important?
9. Why does Bernard travel to Rome in Section 7?
10. Describe the way Louis is characterized in Section 7.
This section contains 1,297 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)