|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first thing the reader learns in Section 5?
(a) That Bernard is divorced.
(b) That Jinny is married.
(c) That Percival has died.
(d) That Neville has moved.
2. In Section 6, who does Susan deride towards the end of her monologue?
3. Which speaker follows Susan in Section 7?
4. What significant fact do we learn about Louis's love-life in the course of his major Section 7 monologue?
(a) He is a homosexual.
(b) Rhoda has left him.
(c) He has struck up an affair with Jinny.
(d) He and Rhoda are married.
5. In Section 8, what prevents the characters from relaxing around each other?
(a) The time they have spent apart.
(b) The lack of drinks.
(c) The lack of food.
(d) The absence of Percival.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first speaker in Section 7?
2. Who is most deeply affected by the significant news in Section 5?
3. Generally, what word best describes the mood of Bernard at the end of section 8, as compared to the beginning?
4. What does Rhoda offer to Percival in Section 5?
5. At one point in Section 6, Jinny says she is being "flung up, and flung down, like . . ." what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Percival's death have a strong effect on Bernard in Section 5?
2. What in particular separates Section 7 from the prior two sections, and why is that significant?
3. Describe how the characters feel during the dinner they share in Section 8.
4. Describe how Jinny appears in Section 6.
5. Describe how Louis appears in Section 6.
6. What are the characters doing at the beginning of Section 8, and why is that important?
7. What is significant about how Rhoda appears in Section 7?
8. How does Bernard's role change in Section 8, and what evidence do you have to support that?
9. Which image becomes more dominant in Section 8's introductory vignette, and what do you think it signifies?
10. What is different about Susan in Section 7?
This section contains 1,332 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)