|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the two dominant images of Section 8's introduction?
(a) The sun sinking as the waves become the dominant image.
(b) Both the waves and the sun are sinking in power.
(c) The nighttime sky and the calm waters.
(d) The waves receding as the sun burns brighter.
2. At one point in Section 6, Jinny says she is being "flung up, and flung down, like . . ." what?
(a) A ship in the sea.
(b) A ball being played with.
(c) A ragdoll.
(d) The waves.
3. What are the characters doing as their monologues progress in Section 8?
(a) They are still in the restaurant, eating.
(b) Going to Percival's grave.
(c) Riding to Elvedon together.
(d) Walking together through the streets.
4. What one word is repeated throughout Susan's monologue in Section 6?
5. How does Jinny characterize her social life as it is in Section 6?
(a) Constant, but boring.
(b) Altogether absent.
(c) Constant and vibrant.
(d) No longer important to her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who notices the hand-holding between two characters in Section 8?
2. Where do we find the sun at the beginning of Section 7?
3. Who "gape[s] like a young bird, unsatisfied, for something that has escaped me" in Section 8?
4. On what street is Rhoda walking when the reader encounters her in Section 5?
5. What separates Neville's monologue from the others in Section 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Percival's death have a strong effect on Bernard in Section 5?
2. What is the significance of the way the birds are depicted in Section 7's introduction?
3. What is different about Susan in Section 7?
4. How does Bernard's role change in Section 8, and what evidence do you have to support that?
5. Describe how Susan appears in Section 6.
6. The first thing the reader learns in Section 5 is that Percival has died. How did he die, and who does it seem to have the strongest effect on?
7. Why does Bernard travel to Rome in Section 7?
8. Why is it significant that Bernard is not the first speaker in Section 5?
9. Describe how Louis appears in Section 6.
10. What in particular separates Section 7 from the prior two sections, and why is that significant?
This section contains 1,405 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)