|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what event in Bernard's life does the major news in Section 5 coincide?
(a) Jinny's engagement.
(b) His wedding.
(c) The death of his father.
(d) The birth of his first child.
2. What phrase does Susan use to describe her position in life as it is in Section 7?
(a) That she, "divests herself of her authority."
(b) That she is "not one of those who find their satisfaction in one person, or in infinity."
(c) That she is, "no longer young. No longer part of the procession."
(d) She has "reached the summit of her desires."
3. What significant fact do we learn about Susan's life in Section 6?
(a) That she is in love with Louis.
(b) That she has a baby.
(c) That she is dying.
(d) That she had an affair with Percival.
4. In Section 8, who oddly compares herself to a dog?
5. What is the first thing the reader learns in Section 5?
(a) That Neville has moved.
(b) That Jinny is married.
(c) That Bernard is divorced.
(d) That Percival has died.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the dominant feature of the monologues during the middle of Section 8?
2. What is the best way to characterize the tone of Bernard's first Section 8 monologue?
3. Who has the first monologue of this Section 6?
4. Generally, what word best describes the mood of Bernard at the end of section 8, as compared to the beginning?
5. What should the reader infer that Rhoda is thinking about at the end of her Section 7 monologue?
Short Essay Questions
1. Characterize Neville's state of mind as he appears at the end of Section 6.
2. In Section 6, we encounter the three character who were omitted from the previous section. Describe their places in life at this point.
3. Describe how Louis appears in Section 6.
4. How does Bernard's role change in Section 8, and what evidence do you have to support that?
5. Why doesn't Percival's death have a strong effect on Bernard in Section 5?
6. Characterize the way Bernard appears in Section 5.
7. Elaborate on what Rhoda identifies as the problems the characters have faced in their lives in Section 8.
8. Describe how Susan appears in Section 6.
9. Describe how Jinny appears in Section 6.
10. Describe how the characters feel during the dinner they share in Section 8.
This section contains 1,398 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)