|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time is it when Bernard begins his last monologue of Section 8?
(a) Nearly bed-time.
(b) Very early in the morning.
(d) Very late at night.
2. In Section 8, what prevents the characters from relaxing around each other?
(a) The lack of drinks.
(b) The time they have spent apart.
(c) The absence of Percival.
(d) The lack of food.
3. As the reader encounters him in Section 7, toward whom does Neville express some resentment or jealousy?
4. What significant fact do we learn about Susan's life in Section 6?
(a) That she is in love with Louis.
(b) That she is dying.
(c) That she has a baby.
(d) That she had an affair with Percival.
5. On what street is Rhoda walking when the reader encounters her in Section 5?
(a) Oxford Street.
(b) Strawberry Hill.
(c) Hampton Court.
(d) Comstock Hill.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rhoda offer to Percival in Section 5?
2. What two emotions seem to dominate Rhoda's Section 7 monologue?
3. Which of the characters recognizes themselves as the group's strongest member in Section 5?
4. What is Susan doing when she begins her Section 7 monologue?
5. Where are the characters gathering in Section 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What in particular separates Section 7 from the prior two sections, and why is that significant?
2. Which image becomes more dominant in Section 8's introductory vignette, and what do you think it signifies?
3. What are the characters doing at the beginning of Section 8, and why is that important?
4. Describe how Jinny appears in Section 6.
5. The first thing the reader learns in Section 5 is that Percival has died. How did he die, and who does it seem to have the strongest effect on?
6. Describe the way Louis is characterized in Section 7.
7. Describe how Susan appears in Section 6.
8. What is different about Susan in Section 7?
9. How does Bernard's role change in Section 8, and what evidence do you have to support that?
10. What is most notable about Section 5's opening description and why?
This section contains 1,398 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)