|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the dominant feature of the monologues during the middle of Section 8?
(a) Bernard speaks alone.
(b) Only Rhoda and Percival speak.
(c) There is constant interplay.
(d) Only Susan and Neville speak.
2. What do we learn from the end of Louis's major monologue in Section 6?
(a) That he and Neville have begun an affair.
(b) That he is having an affair with Jinny.
(c) That he is having an affair with Rhoda.
(d) That he has moved in with Susan.
3. In Section 7, how does the poem which Louis muses on begin?
(a) "In Xanadu did Kubla Khan . . ."
(b) "The rain set early in to-night . . ."
(c) "One must have a mind of winter . . ."
(d) "O western wind . . ."
4. Who "gape[s] like a young bird, unsatisfied, for something that has escaped me" in Section 8?
5. What two emotions seem to dominate Rhoda's Section 7 monologue?
(a) Indifference and depression.
(b) Aggressiveness and anger.
(c) Anger and resentment.
(d) Contentment and joy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the characters doing as their monologues progress in Section 8?
2. What is the effect of the sun's beams at the beginning of Section 5?
3. What is Susan doing when she begins her Section 7 monologue?
4. Which of the characters begins Section 8?
5. In Section 8, when does Bernard arrive in relation to the other characters?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about how Rhoda appears in Section 7?
2. Characterize Neville's state of mind as he appears at the end of Section 6.
3. What is most notable about Section 5's opening description and why?
4. How does the structure of Section 5 parallel the development of the characters?
5. In Section 6, we encounter the three character who were omitted from the previous section. Describe their places in life at this point.
6. Describe how Louis appears in Section 6.
7. Why doesn't Percival's death have a strong effect on Bernard in Section 5?
8. The first thing the reader learns in Section 5 is that Percival has died. How did he die, and who does it seem to have the strongest effect on?
9. What is different about Susan in Section 7?
10. Describe how the characters feel during the dinner they share in Section 8.
This section contains 1,453 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)