|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what street is Rhoda walking when the reader encounters her in Section 5?
(a) Oxford Street.
(b) Comstock Hill.
(c) Strawberry Hill.
(d) Hampton Court.
2. For how long does Bernard stay where he travels in Section 7?
(a) Ten days.
(b) One month.
(c) One week.
(d) Twenty days.
3. In Section 5, who does Rhoda refer to as "a snob"?
4. As the reader encounters him in Section 7, toward whom does Neville express some resentment or jealousy?
5. Whose Section 6 monologue features a musing on the passing of seasons?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do we learn from the end of Louis's major monologue in Section 6?
2. In Section 6, Who remarks, "Percival has died . . . Life passes."?
3. What time is it when Bernard begins his last monologue of Section 8?
4. What phrase does Susan use to describe her position in life as it is in Section 7?
5. What two emotions seem to dominate Rhoda's Section 7 monologue?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the way the birds are depicted in Section 7's introduction?
2. Describe how Jinny appears in Section 6.
3. Describe how Louis appears in Section 6.
4. Why doesn't Percival's death have a strong effect on Bernard in Section 5?
5. Characterize the way Bernard appears in Section 5.
6. How is Section 6's opening description distinct, and what should the reader expect from the rest of the section?
7. How does Bernard's role change in Section 8, and what evidence do you have to support that?
8. What do the characters do after they leave the restaurant in Section 8, and what happens then?
9. How does the structure of Section 5 parallel the development of the characters?
10. The first thing the reader learns in Section 5 is that Percival has died. How did he die, and who does it seem to have the strongest effect on?
This section contains 1,397 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)