|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Section 7, which two people does Susan name as those she "thinks sometimes of"?
(a) Percival and Rhoda.
(b) Jinny and Rhoda.
(c) Bernard and Louis.
(d) Neville and Percival.
2. In Section 6, Who remarks, "Percival has died . . . Life passes."?
3. Where do we learn Bernard travels to in Section 7?
4. What is the first thing the reader learns in Section 5?
(a) That Neville has moved.
(b) That Bernard is divorced.
(c) That Jinny is married.
(d) That Percival has died.
5. In Section 8, what prevents the characters from relaxing around each other?
(a) The time they have spent apart.
(b) The lack of food.
(c) The absence of Percival.
(d) The lack of drinks.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Section 6, who does Susan deride towards the end of her monologue?
2. As the reader encounters him in Section 7, toward whom does Neville express some resentment or jealousy?
3. Who is most deeply affected by the significant news in Section 5?
4. What is the best way to characterize the tone of Bernard's first Section 8 monologue?
5. Who "gape[s] like a young bird, unsatisfied, for something that has escaped me" in Section 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the characters feel during the dinner they share in Section 8.
2. What is significant about how Rhoda appears in Section 7?
3. What are the characters doing at the beginning of Section 8, and why is that important?
4. What is different about Susan in Section 7?
5. Describe how Louis appears in Section 6.
6. Elaborate on what Rhoda identifies as the problems the characters have faced in their lives in Section 8.
7. What in particular separates Section 7 from the prior two sections, and why is that significant?
8. In Section 6, we encounter the three character who were omitted from the previous section. Describe their places in life at this point.
9. Which image becomes more dominant in Section 8's introductory vignette, and what do you think it signifies?
10. What do the characters do after they leave the restaurant in Section 8, and what happens then?
This section contains 1,347 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)