|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the dominant feature of the monologues during the middle of Section 8?
(a) Only Rhoda and Percival speak.
(b) There is constant interplay.
(c) Only Susan and Neville speak.
(d) Bernard speaks alone.
2. Who is the first speaker in Section 7?
3. Who is the next speaker in Section 7?
4. In the beginning of Section 5, what state does Woolf describe the sun as being in?
(a) Its dullest.
(b) Its most uncompromising.
(c) Its most merciful.
(d) Nearly its brightest.
5. What is Susan doing when she begins her Section 7 monologue?
(a) Walking with her son in the garden.
(b) Alone in her room at Elvedon.
(c) Speaking with Bernard.
(d) Playing with her daughters.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the characters appears most able to move on from the significant news in Section 5?
2. In Section 5, how does Bernard describe Percival's presence in the lives of the other characters?
3. What are the characters doing as their monologues progress in Section 8?
4. In Section 7, where is Louis's new house?
5. Which of the characters recognizes themselves as the group's strongest member in Section 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Percival's death have a strong effect on Bernard in Section 5?
2. What are the characters doing at the beginning of Section 8, and why is that important?
3. Which image becomes more dominant in Section 8's introductory vignette, and what do you think it signifies?
4. The first thing the reader learns in Section 5 is that Percival has died. How did he die, and who does it seem to have the strongest effect on?
5. What is different about Susan in Section 7?
6. Describe how the characters feel during the dinner they share in Section 8.
7. Why does Bernard travel to Rome in Section 7?
8. Characterize Neville's state of mind as he appears at the end of Section 6.
9. How does the structure of Section 5 parallel the development of the characters?
10. How does Bernard's role change in Section 8, and what evidence do you have to support that?
This section contains 1,360 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)