|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time is it when Bernard begins his last monologue of Section 8?
(a) Very late at night.
(b) Very early in the morning.
(d) Nearly bed-time.
2. Which of the characters appears most able to move on from the significant news in Section 5?
3. Generally, what word best describes the mood of Bernard at the end of section 8, as compared to the beginning?
(a) He has become more depressed.
(b) He has fallen into confusion.
(c) He remains anxious and unsure.
(d) His mood has improved.
4. What kind of insect does Woolf describe in the elaborate simile at the beginning of Section 7?
(a) A dragonfly.
(b) A moth.
(c) A beetle.
(d) An ant.
5. In Section 8, who oddly compares herself to a dog?
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the characters doing as their monologues progress in Section 8?
2. What about her life is Jinny bemoaning when she begins her monologue in Section 7?
3. In Section 8, who contends that the characters have "destroyed something by our presence"?
4. What separates Neville's monologue from the others in Section 6?
5. In Section 7, how does the poem which Louis muses on begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it significant that Bernard is not the first speaker in Section 5?
2. Why does Bernard travel to Rome in Section 7?
3. Describe the way Louis is characterized in Section 7.
4. Which image becomes more dominant in Section 8's introductory vignette, and what do you think it signifies?
5. Describe how Susan appears in Section 6.
6. What is different about Susan in Section 7?
7. Characterize Neville's state of mind as he appears at the end of Section 6.
8. Why doesn't Percival's death have a strong effect on Bernard in Section 5?
9. What are the characters doing at the beginning of Section 8, and why is that important?
10. How is Section 6's opening description distinct, and what should the reader expect from the rest of the section?
This section contains 1,363 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)