|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time of day does the passage at the beginning of Section 5 describe?
(c) Late night.
2. Where are the characters gathering in Section 8?
(a) Louis' home in Surrey.
(b) Neville's home in Liverpool.
(c) A cafe in London.
(d) A restaurant in Hampton Court.
3. As the reader encounters him in Section 7, toward whom does Neville express some resentment or jealousy?
4. Who do Bernard and Rhoda assert Percival was in love with?
5. In Section 7, where is Louis's new house?
Short Answer Questions
1. On what street is Rhoda walking when the reader encounters her in Section 5?
2. What should the reader infer that Rhoda is thinking about at the end of her Section 7 monologue?
3. In Section 6, who does Susan deride towards the end of her monologue?
4. What about her life is Jinny bemoaning when she begins her monologue in Section 7?
5. What is the dominant feature of the monologues during the middle of Section 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the way the birds are depicted in Section 7's introduction?
2. Describe the way Louis is characterized in Section 7.
3. Which image becomes more dominant in Section 8's introductory vignette, and what do you think it signifies?
4. Why doesn't Percival's death have a strong effect on Bernard in Section 5?
5. Describe how the characters feel during the dinner they share in Section 8.
6. What is significant about how Rhoda appears in Section 7?
7. Characterize the way Bernard appears in Section 5.
8. What is different about Susan in Section 7?
9. Describe how Susan appears in Section 6.
10. Elaborate on what Rhoda identifies as the problems the characters have faced in their lives in Section 8.
This section contains 1,359 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)