|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Section 6's last speaker?
2. What phrase does Susan use to describe her position in life as it is in Section 7?
(a) That she is, "no longer young. No longer part of the procession."
(b) That she is "not one of those who find their satisfaction in one person, or in infinity."
(c) That she, "divests herself of her authority."
(d) She has "reached the summit of her desires."
3. Which of the characters recognizes themselves as the group's strongest member in Section 5?
4. What are the two dominant images of Section 8's introduction?
(a) The waves receding as the sun burns brighter.
(b) The sun sinking as the waves become the dominant image.
(c) The nighttime sky and the calm waters.
(d) Both the waves and the sun are sinking in power.
5. In Section 8, what happens between Rhoda and Louis?
(a) They agree to get married.
(b) They fight in private.
(c) They talk and rectify their past differences.
(d) They do not speak to each other.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Section 6, who does Susan deride towards the end of her monologue?
2. Who does Bernard decide against comforting in Section 5?
3. Who do Bernard and Rhoda assert Percival was in love with?
4. Who is the next speaker in Section 7?
5. Where do we find the sun at the beginning of Section 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Section 6, we encounter the three character who were omitted from the previous section. Describe their places in life at this point.
2. Describe how Louis appears in Section 6.
3. How is Section 6's opening description distinct, and what should the reader expect from the rest of the section?
4. What is significant about how Rhoda appears in Section 7?
5. Describe how the characters feel during the dinner they share in Section 8.
6. Why doesn't Percival's death have a strong effect on Bernard in Section 5?
7. The first thing the reader learns in Section 5 is that Percival has died. How did he die, and who does it seem to have the strongest effect on?
8. Describe how Susan appears in Section 6.
9. What is most notable about Section 5's opening description and why?
10. What do the characters do after they leave the restaurant in Section 8, and what happens then?
This section contains 1,366 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)