|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Section 7, which two people does Susan name as those she "thinks sometimes of"?
(a) Jinny and Rhoda.
(b) Neville and Percival.
(c) Percival and Rhoda.
(d) Bernard and Louis.
2. What does Bernard seem to be struggling to do during his final monologue of Section 8?
3. As the reader encounters him in Section 7, toward whom does Neville express some resentment or jealousy?
4. When Neville hears the significant news in Section 5, to what does he compare it?
(a) The end of his life.
(b) The kiss between Jinny and Louis.
(c) The loss of a family member.
(d) Waking from a dream.
5. In Section 8, what happens between Rhoda and Louis?
(a) They do not speak to each other.
(b) They talk and rectify their past differences.
(c) They agree to get married.
(d) They fight in private.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Section 7, how does the poem which Louis muses on begin?
2. What time is it when Bernard begins his last monologue of Section 8?
3. What is Susan doing when she begins her Section 7 monologue?
4. What two emotions seem to dominate Rhoda's Section 7 monologue?
5. What does Rhoda offer to Percival in Section 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bernard's role change in Section 8, and what evidence do you have to support that?
2. What is significant about how Rhoda appears in Section 7?
3. The first thing the reader learns in Section 5 is that Percival has died. How did he die, and who does it seem to have the strongest effect on?
4. Describe how Susan appears in Section 6.
5. How does the structure of Section 5 parallel the development of the characters?
6. Describe how the characters feel during the dinner they share in Section 8.
7. Elaborate on what Rhoda identifies as the problems the characters have faced in their lives in Section 8.
8. What is most notable about Section 5's opening description and why?
9. Characterize Neville's state of mind as he appears at the end of Section 6.
10. What do the characters do after they leave the restaurant in Section 8, and what happens then?
This section contains 1,367 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)