|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells Rhoda in Section 1 that someone has arrived to pick her up?
(b) Mrs. Constable.
2. What is the name of the cook at school?
(a) Miss Curry.
(b) Miss Lambert.
(c) Miss Hudson.
3. Who kissed Louis in the garden?
4. Which of the female characters does Neville express respect for?
5. What is Louis doing upon the commencement of his major monologue in Section 3?
(a) Meeting Susan.
(b) Meeting Bernard and Neville.
(d) Reading and eating.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who professes that Bernard looks composed?
2. Who "only understands cries of love, hate, rage and pain"?
3. Who utters Section 4's final words, "Now Percival is gone"?
4. Whose "mind is far too complex to be roused by any single activity"?
5. What word does Louis use to characterize himself in Section 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Neville and Bernard are different as they appear in Section 3.
2. Briefly analyze Neville's attitude towards religion.
3. Why is Bernard's announcement of his engagement in Section 4 significant?
4. Why doesn't Percival's death have a strong effect on Bernard in Section 5?
5. When the characters change locations in the text, it is not always noticeable. Identify why this is and the effect on the reader.
6. In Section 6, we encounter the three character who were omitted from the previous section. Describe their places in life at this point.
7. What is the significance of having each character introduce themselves by identifying a specific image in Section 1?
8. Why is Susan so distressed after she saw Jinny kiss Louis?
9. Bernard is clearly becoming the most central of the six characters. Describe his characteristics as he appears in Section 3.
10. Describe the boys' experiences in chapel while at school in Section 2.
This section contains 1,426 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)