|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Rhoda in Section 3?
(a) Just turned 25.
(b) Just turned 19.
(c) Almost 15.
(d) Not yet 21.
2. Who refers to "sudden kisses" as a "crudity"?
3. What are the children doing as the novel begins?
(a) Saying grace before dinner.
(b) Going to bed.
(c) Waking up.
(d) Playing in the garden.
4. What word best describes Rhoda's tone in Section 1?
5. Who refers to all the happenings as "scuffling and hubbub"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is enamored with the light caused by Miss Lambert's ring?
2. Who tells Rhoda in Section 1 that someone has arrived to pick her up?
3. Which subject do the children appear to have a strong grasp of?
4. What does Neville declare himself to be in Section 3?
5. Who did Bernard seek to comfort during Section 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly analyze Neville's attitude towards religion.
2. How does the group act differently when Percival arrives in Section 4?
3. When the characters change locations in the text, it is not always noticeable. Identify why this is and the effect on the reader.
4. What is significant about the way Section 2 is introduced?
5. Describe the boys' experiences in chapel while at school in Section 2.
6. What is significant about displaying the children in school in the novel's first section?
7. Characterize Bernard's attitude towards Louis as described in Section 3.
8. What is significant about the opening description to Section 4?
9. Describe the attitude of the characters towards each other prior to Percival's arrival in Section 4.
10. Describe in your own words the scene at the very beginning of Section 1, and offer an idea of why Woolf would begin this novel in such a way.
This section contains 1,460 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)