|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who refers to all the happenings as "scuffling and hubbub"?
2. What does Bernard acknowledge about his and the other boys' first night at school?
(a) That it is the first time apart from their sisters.
(b) That it is the first time far from home.
(c) That it is the first time apart from their parents.
(d) That it is the first time sleeping in a new place.
3. What physical feature does Rhoda struggle to identify on others?
(a) The hands.
(b) The posture.
(c) The face.
(d) The eyes.
4. Who provides an elaborate description of bathing at the end of the day?
5. Who asserts, "One moment does not lead to another" in Section 4?
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the singing of the birds described in Section 3's opening?
2. Who professes that Bernard looks composed?
3. Who tells Rhoda in Section 1 that someone has arrived to pick her up?
4. How does Rhoda characterize herself at the end of Section 3?
5. When he is alone, who "is nothing" in Section 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the characters change locations in the text, it is not always noticeable. Identify why this is and the effect on the reader.
2. Why is Susan so distressed after she saw Jinny kiss Louis?
3. Briefly analyze Neville's attitude towards religion.
4. Describe how each character is presented in Section 1.
5. What is significant about the way Section 2 is introduced?
6. Describe the fears, or the lack of fears, that the characters articulate in Section 3.
7. What is the significance of having each character introduce themselves by identifying a specific image in Section 1?
8. What is significant about the opening description to Section 4?
9. Describe the boys' experiences in chapel while at school in Section 2.
10. Why is it relevant that Bernard is the first speaker in Section 4?
This section contains 1,667 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)