|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the speakers expresses an appreciation for natural beauty in Section 3?
2. Who is enamored with the light caused by Miss Lambert's ring?
3. With what is Neville most unhappy as he appears in Section 4?
(a) That Bernard is rude to him.
(b) That his food is cold.
(c) That Susan does not love him as he loves her.
(d) That Percival has not yet arrived.
4. Who professes that Bernard looks composed?
5. Who tells Rhoda in Section 1 that someone has arrived to pick her up?
(b) Mrs. Constable.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why have the characters gathered in Section 4?
2. Who decides to "put off my hopeless desire to be Susan, to be Jinny"?
3. How did the character who witnesses the kiss in Section 1 react to it?
4. After reading the opening to Section 4, about what time of day is it?
5. Who instigated the kiss in the garden?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Susan so distressed after she saw Jinny kiss Louis?
2. Why does Woolf use a line or two of monologue rather than dialogue to introduce the children in Section 1?
3. Describe the differences in Jinny and Rhoda's experience's while at school in Section 2.
4. How does the group act differently when Percival arrives in Section 4?
5. Describe how Neville and Bernard are different as they appear in Section 3.
6. Describe the way Section 3's introduction, the italicized vignette, fits in with the rest of Section 3 as a whole.
7. Describe in your own words the scene at the very beginning of Section 1, and offer an idea of why Woolf would begin this novel in such a way.
8. Why is it relevant that Bernard is the first speaker in Section 4?
9. Characterize how Louis expresses his differences from Neville and Bernard in Section 3.
10. How are Jinny and Rhoda characterized in Section 3?
This section contains 1,586 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)