|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says, "I am one person--myself"?
2. What makes Jinny feel "native" in her environment?
(a) The gaudiness of her surroundings.
(b) A picture on the wall.
(c) The people constantly passing her.
(d) The music.
3. Whose "mind is far too complex to be roused by any single activity"?
4. What is the name of the cook at school?
(a) Miss Curry.
(b) Miss Lambert.
(c) Miss Hudson.
5. To what does the narrator compare the sound of the waves at the end of Section 3's beginning?
(a) Roman soldiers.
(b) Mongol hordes.
(c) British infantry.
(d) Turbaned warriors.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character closes Section 2?
2. With what is Neville most unhappy as he appears in Section 4?
3. Who refers to "sudden kisses" as a "crudity"?
4. Who decides to "put off my hopeless desire to be Susan, to be Jinny"?
5. How old is Rhoda in Section 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the group act differently when Percival arrives in Section 4?
2. Why is Susan so distressed after she saw Jinny kiss Louis?
3. Which of the characters appears most at ease in Section 3, and why?
4. Describe the boys' experiences in chapel while at school in Section 2.
5. Describe the attitude of the characters towards each other prior to Percival's arrival in Section 4.
6. What is significant about the opening description to Section 4?
7. Describe the way Section 3's introduction, the italicized vignette, fits in with the rest of Section 3 as a whole.
8. As the characters appear in Section 2, do you feel that they are becoming more or less self-aware? Briefly explain your answer with relevant examples from the text.
9. Overall, what should the reader take away as most significant from Section 1?
10. Why is Bernard's announcement of his engagement in Section 4 significant?
This section contains 1,418 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)