|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To which poet does Bernard compare himself to the point of attempting imitation in Section 3?
(a) Robert Burns.
(b) John Keats.
(c) Lord Byron.
(d) Samuel Taylor Coleridge.
2. Who asserts, "One moment does not lead to another" in Section 4?
3. Who does Bernard refer to as "the authentics" in Section 4?
(a) Neville and Jinny.
(b) Jinny and Susan.
(c) Louis and Rhoda.
(d) Susan and Rhoda.
4. What is the dominant image in the beginning of Section 2?
(a) Waves on the beach as the sun rises.
(b) The sun at mid-point in the sky.
(c) A silent forest.
(d) The sun setting.
5. To where does Percival travel from England?
(a) To Australia.
(b) To America.
(c) To India.
(d) To Africa.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is enamored with the light caused by Miss Lambert's ring?
2. Whose "mind is far too complex to be roused by any single activity"?
3. With what is Neville most unhappy as he appears in Section 4?
4. In Section 4, how would you characterize the characters' attitude towards each other?
5. What are the boys doing when the monologues in Section 2 return to their perspective?
Short Essay Questions
1. Bernard is clearly becoming the most central of the six characters. Describe his characteristics as he appears in Section 3.
2. Describe the way Section 3's introduction, the italicized vignette, fits in with the rest of Section 3 as a whole.
3. Characterize Bernard's attitude towards Louis as described in Section 3.
4. What is the significance of having each character introduce themselves by identifying a specific image in Section 1?
5. As the characters appear in Section 2, do you feel that they are becoming more or less self-aware? Briefly explain your answer with relevant examples from the text.
6. Briefly analyze how the characters have developed as a group in the first two sections of the novel.
7. Describe the boys' experiences in chapel while at school in Section 2.
8. Why is Susan so distressed after she saw Jinny kiss Louis?
9. What is the major event that occurs in Section 4, and why is it significant?
10. Which of the characters appears most at ease in Section 3, and why?
This section contains 1,427 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)