|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first speaker musing on at the beginning of Section 3?
(a) The nature of identity.
(b) Whether there is an afterlife.
(c) The form of waves.
(d) Classical poets.
2. Who witnessed the kiss in the garden through a chink in the hedge in Section 1?
3. Who says, "Now let us issue from the darkness of solitude" at one point in Section 4?
4. Why have the characters gathered in Section 4?
(a) A farewell dinner for Percival.
(b) A farewell dinner for himself.
(c) A farewell dinner for Jinny.
(d) A farewell dinner for Louis.
5. With what is Neville most unhappy as he appears in Section 4?
(a) That his food is cold.
(b) That Susan does not love him as he loves her.
(c) That Percival has not yet arrived.
(d) That Bernard is rude to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is picking flowers alone in the novel's first section?
2. Who asserts, "One moment does not lead to another" in Section 4?
3. In Section 4, how would you characterize the characters' attitude towards each other?
4. What "ceremony" does Bernard dislike so much?
5. Who tells Rhoda in Section 1 that someone has arrived to pick her up?
Short Essay Questions
1. Bernard is clearly becoming the most central of the six characters. Describe his characteristics as he appears in Section 3.
2. As the characters appear in Section 2, do you feel that they are becoming more or less self-aware? Briefly explain your answer with relevant examples from the text.
3. What is the significance of having each character introduce themselves by identifying a specific image in Section 1?
4. When the characters change locations in the text, it is not always noticeable. Identify why this is and the effect on the reader.
5. Describe the differences in Jinny and Rhoda's experience's while at school in Section 2.
6. How does the group act differently when Percival arrives in Section 4?
7. What is significant about displaying the children in school in the novel's first section?
8. Which of the boys seems to have the strongest attachment to Percival? Please provide some evidence in your answer.
9. Briefly analyze Neville's attitude towards religion.
10. Describe the attitude of the characters towards each other prior to Percival's arrival in Section 4.
This section contains 1,428 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)