|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which subject do the children appear to have a strong grasp of?
(d) English Grammar.
2. How does Bernard characterize his last day at school?
(a) An occasion for laughter.
(b) As ambiguous in significance.
(c) An occasion for tears.
(d) One final ceremony.
3. What does Bernard acknowledge about his and the other boys' first night at school?
(a) That it is the first time apart from their sisters.
(b) That it is the first time far from home.
(c) That it is the first time sleeping in a new place.
(d) That it is the first time apart from their parents.
4. Who says, "I am one person--myself"?
5. Who provides an elaborate description of bathing at the end of the day?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who professes that Bernard looks composed?
2. Who is the first character to speak?
3. What word best describes Rhoda's tone in Section 1?
4. Which of the characters muses on a book that he wishes to keep when he is older?
5. What physical feature does Rhoda struggle to identify on others?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the boys' experiences in chapel while at school in Section 2.
2. What is significant about displaying the children in school in the novel's first section?
3. How does the group act differently when Percival arrives in Section 4?
4. Describe in your own words the scene at the very beginning of Section 1, and offer an idea of why Woolf would begin this novel in such a way.
5. Briefly analyze Neville's attitude towards religion.
6. Why is it relevant that Bernard is the first speaker in Section 4?
7. When the characters change locations in the text, it is not always noticeable. Identify why this is and the effect on the reader.
8. Describe the fears, or the lack of fears, that the characters articulate in Section 3.
9. Describe the differences in Jinny and Rhoda's experience's while at school in Section 2.
10. What is significant about the opening description to Section 4?
This section contains 1,664 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)