|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why have the characters gathered in Section 4?
(a) A farewell dinner for Jinny.
(b) A farewell dinner for himself.
(c) A farewell dinner for Louis.
(d) A farewell dinner for Percival.
2. Who provides an elaborate description of bathing at the end of the day?
3. What is Louis's profession when the reader encounters him in Section 3?
4. Which of the children struggles with mathematics?
5. What does Bernard acknowledge about his and the other boys' first night at school?
(a) That it is the first time apart from their parents.
(b) That it is the first time apart from their sisters.
(c) That it is the first time far from home.
(d) That it is the first time sleeping in a new place.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Section 3, what common action does Jinny find "strange"?
2. In Section 2, Miss Lambert sits under a picture of whom?
3. What effect does Percival's presence have on the characters when he arrives in Section 4?
4. Who decides to "put off my hopeless desire to be Susan, to be Jinny"?
5. Who is fond of the "orderly progress" exhibited by the schoolboys?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly analyze how the characters have developed as a group in the first two sections of the novel.
2. Why is it relevant that Bernard is the first speaker in Section 4?
3. Why does Woolf use a line or two of monologue rather than dialogue to introduce the children in Section 1?
4. How does the group act differently when Percival arrives in Section 4?
5. As the characters appear in Section 2, do you feel that they are becoming more or less self-aware? Briefly explain your answer with relevant examples from the text.
6. What is the major event that occurs in Section 4, and why is it significant?
7. How are Jinny and Rhoda characterized in Section 3?
8. Describe the differences in Jinny and Rhoda's experience's while at school in Section 2.
9. Describe the attitude of the characters towards each other prior to Percival's arrival in Section 4.
10. What is the significance of having each character introduce themselves by identifying a specific image in Section 1?
This section contains 1,443 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)