|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who refers to all the happenings as "scuffling and hubbub"?
2. Who is enamored with the light caused by Miss Lambert's ring?
3. Who utters Section 4's final words, "Now Percival is gone"?
4. Which of the children struggles with mathematics?
5. Who arrives to pick up Rhoda at the end of Section 1?
(a) Miss Hudson.
(d) Her Aunt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the children doing as the novel begins?
2. Who remarks, "The world is entire, and I am outside of it . . ."?
3. What is Louis's profession when the reader encounters him in Section 3?
4. Who decides to "put off my hopeless desire to be Susan, to be Jinny"?
5. Who refers to "sudden kisses" as a "crudity"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of having each character introduce themselves by identifying a specific image in Section 1?
2. Describe in your own words the scene at the very beginning of Section 1, and offer an idea of why Woolf would begin this novel in such a way.
3. What is the novel's final image, and discuss its importance.
4. What is most notable about Section 5's opening description and why?
5. Characterize the way Bernard appears in Section 5.
6. Discuss Woolf's decision to use the passage of a single day as a metaphor for the varied lives of all six characters in the novel.
7. What is significant about displaying the children in school in the novel's first section?
8. Describe the boys' experiences in chapel while at school in Section 2.
9. Briefly analyze Neville's attitude towards religion.
10. Why does Bernard travel to Rome in Section 7?
This section contains 1,431 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)