|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose "mind is far too complex to be roused by any single activity"?
2. Who refers to all the happenings as "scuffling and hubbub"?
3. Which of the characters muses on a book that he wishes to keep when he is older?
4. To which poet does Bernard compare himself to the point of attempting imitation in Section 3?
(a) John Keats.
(b) Robert Burns.
(c) Lord Byron.
(d) Samuel Taylor Coleridge.
5. What do the characters wish to do with the moment they share in the restaurant in Section 4?
(a) Forget it.
(b) Cherish it.
(c) Meditate on it.
(d) Tarnish it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who remarks, "The world is entire, and I am outside of it . . ."?
2. Who asserts, "The words of authority are corrupted by those who speak them"?
3. What is Bernard doing at the beginning of Section 3?
4. What does the italicized prose at the beginning of the first section describe?
5. To where does Percival travel from England?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which of the boys seems to have the strongest attachment to Percival? Please provide some evidence in your answer.
2. What is significant about the way Section 2 is introduced?
3. How does the group act differently when Percival arrives in Section 4?
4. Describe the fears, or the lack of fears, that the characters articulate in Section 3.
5. Describe how each character is presented in Section 1.
6. Why is it relevant that Bernard is the first speaker in Section 4?
7. Characterize how Louis expresses his differences from Neville and Bernard in Section 3.
8. Describe the differences in Jinny and Rhoda's experience's while at school in Section 2.
9. Which of the characters appears most at ease in Section 3, and why?
10. What is the significance of having each character introduce themselves by identifying a specific image in Section 1?
This section contains 1,495 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)