|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose "mind is far too complex to be roused by any single activity"?
2. In Section 3, what common action does Jinny find "strange"?
3. What does the italicized prose at the beginning of the first section describe?
(a) The sun at midday.
(b) The clouds covering the sun.
(c) The moon rising in the sky.
(d) A day yet to begin.
4. Who shifts in his seat in Section 2 so that he might catch a glimpse of Percival?
(b) Dr. Crane.
5. Who says, "Now let us issue from the darkness of solitude" at one point in Section 4?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who repeats variations of the phrase, "I will gather my flowers and present them--Oh! to whom?"
2. What effect does Percival's presence have on the characters when he arrives in Section 4?
3. Which of the female characters does Neville express respect for?
4. What is Louis's profession when the reader encounters him in Section 3?
5. With what is Neville most unhappy as he appears in Section 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Bernard is clearly becoming the most central of the six characters. Describe his characteristics as he appears in Section 3.
2. Which of the boys seems to have the strongest attachment to Percival? Please provide some evidence in your answer.
3. Why is Susan so distressed after she saw Jinny kiss Louis?
4. Why does Woolf use a line or two of monologue rather than dialogue to introduce the children in Section 1?
5. Characterize how Louis expresses his differences from Neville and Bernard in Section 3.
6. Why is Bernard's announcement of his engagement in Section 4 significant?
7. What is the major event that occurs in Section 4, and why is it significant?
8. When the characters change locations in the text, it is not always noticeable. Identify why this is and the effect on the reader.
9. Describe the differences in Jinny and Rhoda's experience's while at school in Section 2.
10. Describe the boys' experiences in chapel while at school in Section 2.
This section contains 1,461 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)