|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the character who witnesses the kiss in Section 1 react to it?
(a) With anger and confusion.
(b) With fear and despair.
(c) With joy and excitement.
(d) By also trying to kiss Louis.
2. What image is Susan reminded of at the end of her monologue in Section 3?
(a) A sermon in church.
(b) The waves crashing on the beach.
(c) The estate at Elvedon.
(d) Jinny kissing Louis.
3. What is Louis doing upon the commencement of his major monologue in Section 3?
(a) Meeting Susan.
(b) Meeting Bernard and Neville.
(c) Reading and eating.
4. Who utters Section 4's final words, "Now Percival is gone"?
5. Who shifts in his seat in Section 2 so that he might catch a glimpse of Percival?
(a) Dr. Crane.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asserts, "One moment does not lead to another" in Section 4?
2. What is Louis's profession when the reader encounters him in Section 3?
3. Who is fond of the "orderly progress" exhibited by the schoolboys?
4. What word best describes Rhoda's tone in Section 1?
5. Who hears "something stamping"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is different about Susan in Section 7?
2. In Section 6, we encounter the three character who were omitted from the previous section. Describe their places in life at this point.
3. Elaborate on what Rhoda identifies as the problems the characters have faced in their lives in Section 8.
4. What is the major event that occurs in Section 4, and why is it significant?
5. Characterize the way Bernard appears in Section 5.
6. Describe how the characters feel during the dinner they share in Section 8.
7. What is the novel's final image, and discuss its importance.
8. What do the characters do after they leave the restaurant in Section 8, and what happens then?
9. Discuss Woolf's decision to use the passage of a single day as a metaphor for the varied lives of all six characters in the novel.
10. As the characters appear in Section 2, do you feel that they are becoming more or less self-aware? Briefly explain your answer with relevant examples from the text.
This section contains 1,433 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)