|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What physical feature does Rhoda struggle to identify on others?
(a) The hands.
(b) The eyes.
(c) The face.
(d) The posture.
2. What makes Jinny feel "native" in her environment?
(a) The music.
(b) A picture on the wall.
(c) The people constantly passing her.
(d) The gaudiness of her surroundings.
3. Who refers to all the happenings as "scuffling and hubbub"?
4. In Section 4, how would you characterize the characters' attitude towards each other?
(a) Mostly favorable.
(c) Generally negative.
5. Who professes that Bernard looks composed?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the female characters does Neville express respect for?
2. Who says, "I am one person--myself"?
3. Who did Bernard seek to comfort during Section 1?
4. In Section 3, what common action does Jinny find "strange"?
5. How does Bernard characterize his last day at school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Woolf use a line or two of monologue rather than dialogue to introduce the children in Section 1?
2. Describe in your own words the scene at the very beginning of Section 1, and offer an idea of why Woolf would begin this novel in such a way.
3. Bernard is clearly becoming the most central of the six characters. Describe his characteristics as he appears in Section 3.
4. Why is it relevant that Bernard is the first speaker in Section 4?
5. Describe how Neville and Bernard are different as they appear in Section 3.
6. What is the major event that occurs in Section 4, and why is it significant?
7. Why is Susan so distressed after she saw Jinny kiss Louis?
8. Describe the boys' experiences in chapel while at school in Section 2.
9. As the characters appear in Section 2, do you feel that they are becoming more or less self-aware? Briefly explain your answer with relevant examples from the text.
10. What is significant about the opening description to Section 4?
This section contains 1,626 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)