|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the boys doing when the monologues in Section 2 return to their perspective?
(a) Walking to lunch.
(b) Going to chapel.
(c) Heading to classes.
(d) Playing at recess.
2. Who arrives to pick up Rhoda at the end of Section 1?
(b) Her Aunt.
(d) Miss Hudson.
3. Who refers to "sudden kisses" as a "crudity"?
4. How does Bernard characterize his last day at school?
(a) One final ceremony.
(b) As ambiguous in significance.
(c) An occasion for tears.
(d) An occasion for laughter.
5. Who decides to "put off my hopeless desire to be Susan, to be Jinny"?
(b) Mrs. Constable.
Short Answer Questions
1. What effect does Percival's presence have on the characters when he arrives in Section 4?
2. What is Louis doing upon the commencement of his major monologue in Section 3?
3. What does Bernard describe during his first line of monologue?
4. To where does Percival travel from England?
5. Who does Bernard refer to as a "drunken sailor?"
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the group act differently when Percival arrives in Section 4?
2. What is significant about the way Section 2 is introduced?
3. Describe the way Section 3's introduction, the italicized vignette, fits in with the rest of Section 3 as a whole.
4. How are Jinny and Rhoda characterized in Section 3?
5. Bernard is clearly becoming the most central of the six characters. Describe his characteristics as he appears in Section 3.
6. Briefly analyze Neville's attitude towards religion.
7. Why is Bernard's announcement of his engagement in Section 4 significant?
8. Describe how each character is presented in Section 1.
9. What is the major event that occurs in Section 4, and why is it significant?
10. Why is Susan so distressed after she saw Jinny kiss Louis?
This section contains 1,371 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)