|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the characters muses on a book that he wishes to keep when he is older?
2. Which character closes Section 2?
3. How old is Rhoda in Section 3?
(a) Not yet 21.
(b) Almost 15.
(c) Just turned 19.
(d) Just turned 25.
4. Who decides to "put off my hopeless desire to be Susan, to be Jinny"?
(c) Mrs. Constable.
5. Who does Bernard refer to as "the authentics" in Section 4?
(a) Neville and Jinny.
(b) Jinny and Susan.
(c) Louis and Rhoda.
(d) Susan and Rhoda.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the singing of the birds described in Section 3's opening?
2. Who is the first character to speak?
3. What "ceremony" does Bernard dislike so much?
4. Which of the children struggles with mathematics?
5. Who is primarily focused on appearances early in Section 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Susan so distressed after she saw Jinny kiss Louis?
2. Briefly analyze how the characters have developed as a group in the first two sections of the novel.
3. Describe in your own words the scene at the very beginning of Section 1, and offer an idea of why Woolf would begin this novel in such a way.
4. Describe the boys' experiences in chapel while at school in Section 2.
5. Describe how each character is presented in Section 1.
6. Describe the way Section 3's introduction, the italicized vignette, fits in with the rest of Section 3 as a whole.
7. What is significant about displaying the children in school in the novel's first section?
8. How are Jinny and Rhoda characterized in Section 3?
9. What is significant about the way Section 2 is introduced?
10. What is significant about the opening description to Section 4?
This section contains 1,494 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)