|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is fond of the "orderly progress" exhibited by the schoolboys?
(a) Dr. Crane.
2. What do the characters do upon Percival's arrival in Section 4?
(a) Immediately begin recalling the past.
(b) Stand to greet him.
(c) Fall silent.
(d) Stand and leave.
3. How does Rhoda react to the party in Section 3?
(a) She is excited and confident.
(b) She is bored and disinterested.
(c) She is scared and nervous.
(d) She is nauseous and delirious.
4. To what does the narrator compare the sound of the waves at the end of Section 3's beginning?
(a) Turbaned warriors.
(b) Roman soldiers.
(c) Mongol hordes.
(d) British infantry.
5. How would you characterize Neville's attitude as he waits for the others to arrive in Section 4?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asserts, "One moment does not lead to another" in Section 4?
2. What is the first speaker musing on at the beginning of Section 3?
3. In Section 2, Miss Lambert sits under a picture of whom?
4. When he is alone, who "is nothing" in Section 4?
5. Who says, "I am one person--myself"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the differences in Jinny and Rhoda's experience's while at school in Section 2.
2. Which of the characters appears most at ease in Section 3, and why?
3. As the characters appear in Section 2, do you feel that they are becoming more or less self-aware? Briefly explain your answer with relevant examples from the text.
4. Describe how Neville and Bernard are different as they appear in Section 3.
5. Which of the boys seems to have the strongest attachment to Percival? Please provide some evidence in your answer.
6. Describe the fears, or the lack of fears, that the characters articulate in Section 3.
7. Why is it relevant that Bernard is the first speaker in Section 4?
8. Describe the attitude of the characters towards each other prior to Percival's arrival in Section 4.
9. What is the significance of having each character introduce themselves by identifying a specific image in Section 1?
10. Describe how each character is presented in Section 1.
This section contains 1,604 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)