|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first thing the reader learns in Section 5?
(a) That Bernard is divorced.
(b) That Jinny is married.
(c) That Percival has died.
(d) That Neville has moved.
2. What are the two dominant images of Section 8's introduction?
(a) The nighttime sky and the calm waters.
(b) Both the waves and the sun are sinking in power.
(c) The sun sinking as the waves become the dominant image.
(d) The waves receding as the sun burns brighter.
3. In Section 8, who oddly compares herself to a dog?
4. What significant fact do we learn about Susan's life in Section 6?
(a) That she is dying.
(b) That she had an affair with Percival.
(c) That she has a baby.
(d) That she is in love with Louis.
5. What is the best way to characterize the tone of Bernard's first Section 8 monologue?
(b) Uneasy or anxious.
6. Which of the characters recognizes themselves as the group's strongest member in Section 5?
7. What is the effect of the sun's beams at the beginning of Section 5?
(a) They produce a glare off of everything they touch.
(b) They turn everything they touch white.
(c) They clearly define the objects they touch.
(d) They burn and destroy what they touch.
8. Where are the characters gathering in Section 8?
(a) A cafe in London.
(b) A restaurant in Hampton Court.
(c) Louis' home in Surrey.
(d) Neville's home in Liverpool.
9. By the end of Section 6, what can we say for sure about Neville's feelings towards Percival?
(a) That Percival confused him.
(b) That he was in love with Percival.
(c) That he felt Percival unduely held a position of high-regard.
(d) That he hated Percival.
10. Who is the next speaker in Section 7?
11. What one word is repeated throughout Susan's monologue in Section 6?
12. In Section 8, when does Bernard arrive in relation to the other characters?
13. As the reader encounters him in Section 7, toward whom does Neville express some resentment or jealousy?
14. When Neville hears the significant news in Section 5, to what does he compare it?
(a) The end of his life.
(b) The loss of a family member.
(c) The kiss between Jinny and Louis.
(d) Waking from a dream.
15. What are the characters doing as their monologues progress in Section 8?
(a) Walking together through the streets.
(b) They are still in the restaurant, eating.
(c) Going to Percival's grave.
(d) Riding to Elvedon together.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Section 8, what happens between Rhoda and Louis?
2. Which of the characters appears most able to move on from the significant news in Section 5?
3. In Section 8, who says, "I have been torn apart"?
4. Who does Bernard decide against comforting in Section 5?
5. What kind of insect does Woolf describe in the elaborate simile at the beginning of Section 7?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)