|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Section 6, Who remarks, "Percival has died . . . Life passes."?
2. In Section 8, who oddly compares herself to a dog?
3. Where has the sun moved to at the beginning of Section 6?
(a) It is setting.
(b) It is not out at all because it is night.
(c) It is just rising.
(d) It is past the mid-point in the sky.
4. Where do we find the sun at the beginning of Section 7?
(a) "High in the sky."
(b) "Low in the sky."
(c) "Lowest in the sky."
(d) "Lower in the sky."
5. Who is most deeply affected by the significant news in Section 5?
6. What one word is repeated throughout Susan's monologue in Section 6?
7. What does Neville conclude at the end of his Section 6 monologue?
(a) That, despite his love for Percival, he could find another man to love.
(b) That he will commit suicide.
(c) That Percival's death has paralyzed him.
(d) That Percival had no effect on him.
8. Where are the characters gathering in Section 8?
(a) A restaurant in Hampton Court.
(b) Neville's home in Liverpool.
(c) Louis' home in Surrey.
(d) A cafe in London.
9. In Section 7, how does the poem which Louis muses on begin?
(a) "In Xanadu did Kubla Khan . . ."
(b) "One must have a mind of winter . . ."
(c) "O western wind . . ."
(d) "The rain set early in to-night . . ."
10. Which of the characters begins Section 8?
11. On what street is Rhoda walking when the reader encounters her in Section 5?
(a) Comstock Hill.
(b) Strawberry Hill.
(c) Hampton Court.
(d) Oxford Street.
12. What is Susan doing when she begins her Section 7 monologue?
(a) Playing with her daughters.
(b) Alone in her room at Elvedon.
(c) Walking with her son in the garden.
(d) Speaking with Bernard.
13. When Neville hears the significant news in Section 5, to what does he compare it?
(a) The kiss between Jinny and Louis.
(b) The end of his life.
(c) The loss of a family member.
(d) Waking from a dream.
14. In Section 7, where is Louis's new house?
15. What time is it when Bernard begins his last monologue of Section 8?
(b) Very early in the morning.
(c) Nearly bed-time.
(d) Very late at night.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rhoda offer to Percival in Section 5?
2. What do we learn from the end of Louis's major monologue in Section 6?
3. How old is Jinny when the reader encounters her in Section 6?
4. Generally, what word best describes the mood of Bernard at the end of section 8, as compared to the beginning?
5. What is the best way to characterize the tone of Bernard's first Section 8 monologue?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)