|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time is it when Bernard begins his last monologue of Section 8?
(b) Nearly bed-time.
(c) Very early in the morning.
(d) Very late at night.
2. According to Section 7, what does Jinny resign herself to being in regards to the rest of her life?
3. Who has the first monologue of this Section 6?
4. How old is Jinny when the reader encounters her in Section 6?
(a) "Nearly thirty-five."
(b) "Not yet thirty."
(c) "Past thirty."
(d) "Just forty."
5. In Section 5, who does Rhoda refer to as "a snob"?
6. What about her life is Jinny bemoaning when she begins her monologue in Section 7?
(a) That she cannot bear children.
(b) That she has aged.
(c) That she cannot find a husband.
(d) That she has grown fat.
7. Generally, what word best describes the mood of Bernard at the end of section 8, as compared to the beginning?
(a) He has become more depressed.
(b) His mood has improved.
(c) He has fallen into confusion.
(d) He remains anxious and unsure.
8. Where do we find the sun at the beginning of Section 7?
(a) "Low in the sky."
(b) "Lower in the sky."
(c) "Lowest in the sky."
(d) "High in the sky."
9. To what kind of historical figures does Louis compare himself in Section 6?
(a) Members of parliament.
(b) Romantic poets.
(c) Classical philosophers.
(d) Roman consuls.
10. What kind of insect does Woolf describe in the elaborate simile at the beginning of Section 7?
(a) A dragonfly.
(b) An ant.
(c) A moth.
(d) A beetle.
11. In Section 7, where is Louis's new house?
12. Which of the characters begins Section 8?
13. In Section 7, which two people does Susan name as those she "thinks sometimes of"?
(a) Jinny and Rhoda.
(b) Bernard and Louis.
(c) Percival and Rhoda.
(d) Neville and Percival.
14. In Section 8, who contends that the characters have "destroyed something by our presence"?
15. For how long does Bernard stay where he travels in Section 7?
(a) One week.
(b) Ten days.
(c) One month.
(d) Twenty days.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Section 7, how does the poem which Louis muses on begin?
2. In the beginning of Section 5, what state does Woolf describe the sun as being in?
3. In Section 6, Who remarks, "Percival has died . . . Life passes."?
4. What time of day does the passage at the beginning of Section 5 describe?
5. What one word is repeated throughout Susan's monologue in Section 6?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)