|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time of day does the passage at the beginning of Section 5 describe?
(b) Late night.
2. By the end of Section 6, what can we say for sure about Neville's feelings towards Percival?
(a) That he felt Percival unduely held a position of high-regard.
(b) That he hated Percival.
(c) That Percival confused him.
(d) That he was in love with Percival.
3. What does Bernard seem to be struggling to do during his final monologue of Section 8?
4. What are the characters doing as their monologues progress in Section 8?
(a) Going to Percival's grave.
(b) Walking together through the streets.
(c) Riding to Elvedon together.
(d) They are still in the restaurant, eating.
5. What are the two dominant images of Section 8's introduction?
(a) The nighttime sky and the calm waters.
(b) The sun sinking as the waves become the dominant image.
(c) The waves receding as the sun burns brighter.
(d) Both the waves and the sun are sinking in power.
6. What should the reader infer that Rhoda is thinking about at the end of her Section 7 monologue?
(b) Falling in love.
(c) Bearing children.
7. In Section 8, who says, "I have been torn apart"?
8. What phrase does Susan use to describe her position in life as it is in Section 7?
(a) That she is, "no longer young. No longer part of the procession."
(b) That she is "not one of those who find their satisfaction in one person, or in infinity."
(c) She has "reached the summit of her desires."
(d) That she, "divests herself of her authority."
9. Who is the next speaker in Section 7?
10. Who has the first monologue of this Section 6?
11. What time is it when Bernard begins his last monologue of Section 8?
(a) Very late at night.
(b) Very early in the morning.
(d) Nearly bed-time.
12. When Neville hears the significant news in Section 5, to what does he compare it?
(a) The kiss between Jinny and Louis.
(b) Waking from a dream.
(c) The end of his life.
(d) The loss of a family member.
13. Who is holding Louis's hand in Section 8?
14. What is the first thing the reader learns in Section 5?
(a) That Neville has moved.
(b) That Percival has died.
(c) That Bernard is divorced.
(d) That Jinny is married.
15. In Section 5, Neville struggles to accomplish what simple act?
(a) Getting out of bed.
(b) Climbing stairs.
(d) Getting dressed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do we find the sun at the beginning of Section 7?
2. What two emotions seem to dominate Rhoda's Section 7 monologue?
3. In Section 8, who oddly compares herself to a dog?
4. What one word is repeated throughout Susan's monologue in Section 6?
5. What does Neville conclude at the end of his Section 6 monologue?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)