|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who refers to "the hieroglyphs written on other people's faces" in Section 6?
2. Who does Bernard decide against comforting in Section 5?
3. Who do Bernard and Rhoda assert Percival was in love with?
4. Which speaker follows Susan in Section 7?
5. Where do we learn Bernard travels to in Section 7?
6. Where do we find the sun at the beginning of Section 7?
(a) "Lower in the sky."
(b) "Low in the sky."
(c) "High in the sky."
(d) "Lowest in the sky."
7. What kind of insect does Woolf describe in the elaborate simile at the beginning of Section 7?
(a) A dragonfly.
(b) A beetle.
(c) A moth.
(d) An ant.
8. What two emotions seem to dominate Rhoda's Section 7 monologue?
(a) Aggressiveness and anger.
(b) Indifference and depression.
(c) Contentment and joy.
(d) Anger and resentment.
9. In Section 7, which two people does Susan name as those she "thinks sometimes of"?
(a) Bernard and Louis.
(b) Jinny and Rhoda.
(c) Neville and Percival.
(d) Percival and Rhoda.
10. What is the best way to characterize the tone of Bernard's first Section 8 monologue?
(c) Uneasy or anxious.
11. In Section 6, who does Susan deride towards the end of her monologue?
12. As the reader encounters him in Section 7, toward whom does Neville express some resentment or jealousy?
13. On what street is Rhoda walking when the reader encounters her in Section 5?
(a) Hampton Court.
(b) Strawberry Hill.
(c) Comstock Hill.
(d) Oxford Street.
14. Where has the sun moved to at the beginning of Section 6?
(a) It is just rising.
(b) It is past the mid-point in the sky.
(c) It is not out at all because it is night.
(d) It is setting.
15. What one word is repeated throughout Susan's monologue in Section 6?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who notices the hand-holding between two characters in Section 8?
2. How old is Jinny when the reader encounters her in Section 6?
3. What phrase does Susan use to describe her position in life as it is in Section 7?
4. What does Bernard seem to be struggling to do during his final monologue of Section 8?
5. Where are the characters gathering in Section 8?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)