|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is holding Louis's hand in Section 8?
2. Where are the characters gathering in Section 8?
(a) Neville's home in Liverpool.
(b) A cafe in London.
(c) Louis' home in Surrey.
(d) A restaurant in Hampton Court.
3. On what street is Rhoda walking when the reader encounters her in Section 5?
(a) Hampton Court.
(b) Oxford Street.
(c) Strawberry Hill.
(d) Comstock Hill.
4. To what kind of historical figures does Louis compare himself in Section 6?
(a) Romantic poets.
(b) Members of parliament.
(c) Roman consuls.
(d) Classical philosophers.
5. What time is it when Bernard begins his last monologue of Section 8?
(a) Nearly bed-time.
(b) Very early in the morning.
(c) Very late at night.
6. What significant fact do we learn about Louis's love-life in the course of his major Section 7 monologue?
(a) He is a homosexual.
(b) He and Rhoda are married.
(c) He has struck up an affair with Jinny.
(d) Rhoda has left him.
7. What should the reader infer that Rhoda is thinking about at the end of her Section 7 monologue?
(b) Falling in love.
(c) Bearing children.
8. By the end of Section 6, what can we say for sure about Neville's feelings towards Percival?
(a) That Percival confused him.
(b) That he felt Percival unduely held a position of high-regard.
(c) That he hated Percival.
(d) That he was in love with Percival.
9. In Section 5, who does Rhoda refer to as "a snob"?
10. In Section 6, who does Susan deride towards the end of her monologue?
11. According to Section 7, what does Jinny resign herself to being in regards to the rest of her life?
12. In Section 8, who says, "I have been torn apart"?
13. With what event in Bernard's life does the major news in Section 5 coincide?
(a) The birth of his first child.
(b) Jinny's engagement.
(c) His wedding.
(d) The death of his father.
14. Who has the first monologue of this Section 6?
15. Who is the next speaker in Section 7?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is most notable about Jinny's Section 6 monologue?
2. What is Susan doing when she begins her Section 7 monologue?
3. Where do we find the sun at the beginning of Section 7?
4. What time of day does the passage at the beginning of Section 5 describe?
5. In Section 7, how does the poem which Louis muses on begin?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)