|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the characters begins Section 8?
2. What is Susan doing when she begins her Section 7 monologue?
(a) Alone in her room at Elvedon.
(b) Walking with her son in the garden.
(c) Speaking with Bernard.
(d) Playing with her daughters.
3. What does Bernard seem to be struggling to do during his final monologue of Section 8?
4. Who is holding Louis's hand in Section 8?
5. How does Jinny characterize her social life as it is in Section 6?
(a) Altogether absent.
(b) Constant, but boring.
(c) No longer important to her.
(d) Constant and vibrant.
6. Who has the first monologue of this Section 6?
7. What about her life is Jinny bemoaning when she begins her monologue in Section 7?
(a) That she cannot find a husband.
(b) That she has aged.
(c) That she has grown fat.
(d) That she cannot bear children.
8. Who do Bernard and Rhoda assert Percival was in love with?
9. In the beginning of Section 5, what state does Woolf describe the sun as being in?
(a) Its most uncompromising.
(b) Nearly its brightest.
(c) Its most merciful.
(d) Its dullest.
10. Which speaker follows Susan in Section 7?
11. In Section 8, what happens between Rhoda and Louis?
(a) They fight in private.
(b) They do not speak to each other.
(c) They talk and rectify their past differences.
(d) They agree to get married.
12. What time of day does the passage at the beginning of Section 5 describe?
(c) Late night.
13. As the reader encounters him in Section 7, toward whom does Neville express some resentment or jealousy?
14. What kind of insect does Woolf describe in the elaborate simile at the beginning of Section 7?
(a) A moth.
(b) An ant.
(c) A dragonfly.
(d) A beetle.
15. For how long does Bernard stay where he travels in Section 7?
(a) Twenty days.
(b) Ten days.
(c) One month.
(d) One week.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Section 5, how does Bernard describe Percival's presence in the lives of the other characters?
2. In Section 7, which two people does Susan name as those she "thinks sometimes of"?
3. Who "gape[s] like a young bird, unsatisfied, for something that has escaped me" in Section 8?
4. At one point in Section 6, Jinny says she is being "flung up, and flung down, like . . ." what?
5. In Section 8, who says, "I have been torn apart"?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)