|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Section 7, how does the poem which Louis muses on begin?
(a) "One must have a mind of winter . . ."
(b) "In Xanadu did Kubla Khan . . ."
(c) "The rain set early in to-night . . ."
(d) "O western wind . . ."
2. Who is Section 6's last speaker?
3. What do we learn from the end of Louis's major monologue in Section 6?
(a) That he has moved in with Susan.
(b) That he is having an affair with Jinny.
(c) That he is having an affair with Rhoda.
(d) That he and Neville have begun an affair.
4. What time of day does the passage at the beginning of Section 5 describe?
(b) Late night.
5. What should the reader infer that Rhoda is thinking about at the end of her Section 7 monologue?
(a) Falling in love.
(c) Bearing children.
6. Where does Bernard travel towards the end of his major monologue in Section 5?
(a) Louis' office.
(b) Susan's home.
(c) Neville's flat.
(d) Jinny's house.
7. In Section 5, how does Bernard describe Percival's presence in the lives of the other characters?
(a) As spiritual.
(b) As a conductor.
(c) As a mediator.
(d) As didactic.
8. What one word is repeated throughout Susan's monologue in Section 6?
9. Who does Bernard decide against comforting in Section 5?
10. Which of the characters begins Section 8?
11. What significant fact do we learn about Louis's love-life in the course of his major Section 7 monologue?
(a) He and Rhoda are married.
(b) He has struck up an affair with Jinny.
(c) He is a homosexual.
(d) Rhoda has left him.
12. In Section 7, where is Louis's new house?
13. On what street is Rhoda walking when the reader encounters her in Section 5?
(a) Oxford Street.
(b) Comstock Hill.
(c) Hampton Court.
(d) Strawberry Hill.
14. What kind of insect does Woolf describe in the elaborate simile at the beginning of Section 7?
(a) A beetle.
(b) A dragonfly.
(c) An ant.
(d) A moth.
15. In Section 8, who contends that the characters have "destroyed something by our presence"?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Section 7, what does Jinny resign herself to being in regards to the rest of her life?
2. Who is holding Louis's hand in Section 8?
3. What two emotions seem to dominate Rhoda's Section 7 monologue?
4. What is Susan doing when she begins her Section 7 monologue?
5. What is the first thing the reader learns in Section 5?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)