|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are the characters gathering in Section 8?
(a) A cafe in London.
(b) Neville's home in Liverpool.
(c) Louis' home in Surrey.
(d) A restaurant in Hampton Court.
2. Who does Bernard decide against comforting in Section 5?
3. To what kind of historical figures does Louis compare himself in Section 6?
(a) Romantic poets.
(b) Roman consuls.
(c) Members of parliament.
(d) Classical philosophers.
4. Who is the first speaker in Section 7?
5. What are the two dominant images of Section 8's introduction?
(a) The sun sinking as the waves become the dominant image.
(b) Both the waves and the sun are sinking in power.
(c) The nighttime sky and the calm waters.
(d) The waves receding as the sun burns brighter.
6. In Section 8, who contends that the characters have "destroyed something by our presence"?
7. Which of the characters recognizes themselves as the group's strongest member in Section 5?
8. Which of the characters begins Section 8?
9. What does Rhoda offer to Percival in Section 5?
10. In Section 5, who does Rhoda refer to as "a snob"?
11. What is the dominant feature of the monologues during the middle of Section 8?
(a) Only Rhoda and Percival speak.
(b) There is constant interplay.
(c) Bernard speaks alone.
(d) Only Susan and Neville speak.
12. What is the effect of the sun's beams at the beginning of Section 5?
(a) They turn everything they touch white.
(b) They burn and destroy what they touch.
(c) They produce a glare off of everything they touch.
(d) They clearly define the objects they touch.
13. Which speaker follows Susan in Section 7?
14. What does Neville conclude at the end of his Section 6 monologue?
(a) That Percival had no effect on him.
(b) That he will commit suicide.
(c) That, despite his love for Percival, he could find another man to love.
(d) That Percival's death has paralyzed him.
15. What are the characters doing as their monologues progress in Section 8?
(a) Going to Percival's grave.
(b) Walking together through the streets.
(c) Riding to Elvedon together.
(d) They are still in the restaurant, eating.
Short Answer Questions
1. Generally, what word best describes the mood of Bernard at the end of section 8, as compared to the beginning?
2. By the end of Section 6, what can we say for sure about Neville's feelings towards Percival?
3. In Section 8, when does Bernard arrive in relation to the other characters?
4. In Section 6, who does Susan deride towards the end of her monologue?
5. In Section 8, what happens between Rhoda and Louis?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)