|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Section 4, how would you characterize the characters' attitude towards each other?
(b) Generally negative.
(c) Mostly favorable.
2. To where does Percival travel from England?
(a) To America.
(b) To India.
(c) To Australia.
(d) To Africa.
3. Who provides an elaborate description of bathing at the end of the day?
4. How does Rhoda react to the party in Section 3?
(a) She is scared and nervous.
(b) She is nauseous and delirious.
(c) She is bored and disinterested.
(d) She is excited and confident.
5. Who kissed Louis in the garden?
6. What word best describes Rhoda's tone in Section 1?
7. What does Neville declare himself to be in Section 3?
(a) A philosopher.
(b) A lover.
(c) A poet.
(d) An historian.
8. What does Bernard describe during his first line of monologue?
(a) Fruity smells.
(b) An elephant.
(c) A spider's web.
(d) A globe.
9. What makes Jinny feel "native" in her environment?
(a) The gaudiness of her surroundings.
(b) A picture on the wall.
(c) The music.
(d) The people constantly passing her.
10. Who tells Rhoda in Section 1 that someone has arrived to pick her up?
(c) Mrs. Constable.
11. How does Rhoda characterize herself at the end of Section 3?
(a) As a girl.
(b) As a fighter.
(c) As a woman.
(d) As a lover.
12. Who "only understands cries of love, hate, rage and pain"?
13. Who is fond of the "orderly progress" exhibited by the schoolboys?
(b) Dr. Crane.
14. With what is Neville most unhappy as he appears in Section 4?
(a) That Percival has not yet arrived.
(b) That Bernard is rude to him.
(c) That his food is cold.
(d) That Susan does not love him as he loves her.
15. What does Bernard acknowledge about his and the other boys' first night at school?
(a) That it is the first time apart from their parents.
(b) That it is the first time sleeping in a new place.
(c) That it is the first time apart from their sisters.
(d) That it is the first time far from home.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who professes that Bernard looks composed?
2. What significant fact does the reader learn about Bernard's life early in Section 4?
3. Who hears "something stamping"?
4. Who professes, without reservation, "Life will divide us"?
5. Who does Bernard refer to as "the authentics" in Section 4?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)