|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To where does Percival travel from England?
(a) To Australia.
(b) To America.
(c) To India.
(d) To Africa.
2. In what city is Bernard in the beginning of Section 4?
3. What are the children doing as the novel begins?
(a) Saying grace before dinner.
(b) Waking up.
(c) Going to bed.
(d) Playing in the garden.
4. What does Bernard describe during his first line of monologue?
(a) Fruity smells.
(b) A globe.
(c) A spider's web.
(d) An elephant.
5. Which subject do the children appear to have a strong grasp of?
(c) English Grammar.
6. Who refers to "sudden kisses" as a "crudity"?
7. Which of the speakers expresses an appreciation for natural beauty in Section 3?
8. What significant fact does the reader learn about Bernard's life early in Section 4?
(a) He has become famous.
(b) He is on his way to a funeral.
(c) He is engaged to be married.
(d) He is dying.
9. How is the singing of the birds described in Section 3's opening?
10. Who provides an elaborate description of bathing at the end of the day?
11. How did the character who witnesses the kiss in Section 1 react to it?
(a) With anger and confusion.
(b) With fear and despair.
(c) With joy and excitement.
(d) By also trying to kiss Louis.
12. Who witnessed the kiss in the garden through a chink in the hedge in Section 1?
13. In Section 2, Miss Lambert sits under a picture of whom?
(a) Queen Alexandra.
(b) Queen Elizabeth.
(c) Queen Victoria.
(d) King James I.
14. Who is this Section 4's opening speaker?
15. How would you characterize Neville's attitude as he waits for the others to arrive in Section 4?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Bernard refer to as "the authentics" in Section 4?
2. Who begins Section 3?
3. What is the first speaker musing on at the beginning of Section 3?
4. What is the dominant image in the beginning of Section 2?
5. Who utters Section 4's final words, "Now Percival is gone"?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)