|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What effect does Percival's presence have on the characters when he arrives in Section 4?
(a) It calms them.
(b) It causes them to leave.
(c) It enrages them.
(d) It confuses them.
2. Which subject do the children appear to have a strong grasp of?
(a) English Grammar.
3. Who provides an elaborate description of bathing at the end of the day?
4. What makes Jinny feel "native" in her environment?
(a) The people constantly passing her.
(b) A picture on the wall.
(c) The music.
(d) The gaudiness of her surroundings.
5. What does Neville declare himself to be in Section 3?
(a) A poet.
(b) A lover.
(c) An historian.
(d) A philosopher.
6. Which of the children struggles with mathematics?
7. Who utters Section 4's final words, "Now Percival is gone"?
8. Who is fond of the "orderly progress" exhibited by the schoolboys?
(d) Dr. Crane.
9. Who does Bernard refer to as a "drunken sailor?"
(a) Dr. Crane.
10. To where does Percival travel from England?
(a) To America.
(b) To India.
(c) To Africa.
(d) To Australia.
11. To which poet does Bernard compare himself to the point of attempting imitation in Section 3?
(a) Lord Byron.
(b) Robert Burns.
(c) Samuel Taylor Coleridge.
(d) John Keats.
12. Who did Bernard seek to comfort during Section 1?
13. Who asserts, "One moment does not lead to another" in Section 4?
14. What are the children doing as the novel begins?
(a) Waking up.
(b) Saying grace before dinner.
(c) Going to bed.
(d) Playing in the garden.
15. What word does Louis use to characterize himself in Section 3?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the character who witnesses the kiss in Section 1 react to it?
2. In Section 2, Miss Lambert sits under a picture of whom?
3. Who is picking flowers alone in the novel's first section?
4. Who asserts, "The words of authority are corrupted by those who speak them"?
5. How does Wolfe describe the birds' song at the beginning of the first section?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)