|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character opens Section 2's monologues?
2. What "ceremony" does Bernard dislike so much?
(a) Going to school.
(b) Celebrating holidays.
(c) Formal farewells.
(d) Having a family dinner.
3. With what is Neville most unhappy as he appears in Section 4?
(a) That his food is cold.
(b) That Percival has not yet arrived.
(c) That Susan does not love him as he loves her.
(d) That Bernard is rude to him.
4. What physical feature does Rhoda struggle to identify on others?
(a) The eyes.
(b) The posture.
(c) The hands.
(d) The face.
5. Why is one of the characters not permitted to go on the walk in Section 1?
(a) The character is considered too sickly.
(b) The character has to finish grammar exercises.
(c) The character has to go to the playing fields.
(d) The character has to picked up by an aunt.
6. Who is the first of the female speakers in Section 3?
(d) Miss Lambert.
7. What does Bernard describe during his first line of monologue?
(a) Fruity smells.
(b) An elephant.
(c) A globe.
(d) A spider's web.
8. When he is alone, who "is nothing" in Section 4?
9. Who is picking flowers alone in the novel's first section?
10. What is the dominant image in the beginning of Section 2?
(a) Waves on the beach as the sun rises.
(b) The sun setting.
(c) A silent forest.
(d) The sun at mid-point in the sky.
11. What is the name of the boys' headmaster?
(a) Dr. Ramsay.
(c) Dr. Bloom.
(d) Dr. Crane.
12. In Section 3, what common action does Jinny find "strange"?
13. Who is this Section 4's opening speaker?
14. Who asserts, "The words of authority are corrupted by those who speak them"?
15. What is Louis doing upon the commencement of his major monologue in Section 3?
(a) Meeting Susan.
(c) Meeting Bernard and Neville.
(d) Reading and eating.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asserts, "One moment does not lead to another" in Section 4?
2. Who instigated the kiss in the garden?
3. Who repeats variations of the phrase, "I will gather my flowers and present them--Oh! to whom?"
4. What word best describes Rhoda's tone in Section 1?
5. What makes Jinny feel "native" in her environment?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)