|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the italicized prose at the beginning of the first section describe?
(a) A day yet to begin.
(b) The moon rising in the sky.
(c) The clouds covering the sun.
(d) The sun at midday.
2. How does Wolfe describe the birds' song at the beginning of the first section?
(a) "Barely audible."
(b) "A blank melody outside."
(c) "A disruptive cacophony."
(d) "Like the chiming of bells."
3. Who does Bernard refer to as a "drunken sailor?"
(d) Dr. Crane.
4. Who says, "Now let us issue from the darkness of solitude" at one point in Section 4?
5. What is the first speaker musing on at the beginning of Section 3?
(a) The nature of identity.
(b) Whether there is an afterlife.
(c) The form of waves.
(d) Classical poets.
6. Who decides to "put off my hopeless desire to be Susan, to be Jinny"?
(c) Mrs. Constable.
7. To what does the narrator compare the sound of the waves at the end of Section 3's beginning?
(a) Mongol hordes.
(b) British infantry.
(c) Roman soldiers.
(d) Turbaned warriors.
8. What does Bernard describe during his first line of monologue?
(a) A globe.
(b) A spider's web.
(c) Fruity smells.
(d) An elephant.
9. Who is picking flowers alone in the novel's first section?
10. What is the name of the cook at school?
(a) Miss Hudson.
(b) Miss Lambert.
(d) Miss Curry.
11. Whose "mind is far too complex to be roused by any single activity"?
12. Who is primarily focused on appearances early in Section 2?
13. Who asserts, "The words of authority are corrupted by those who speak them"?
14. What do the characters wish to do with the moment they share in the restaurant in Section 4?
(a) Forget it.
(b) Cherish it.
(c) Tarnish it.
(d) Meditate on it.
15. Who asserts, "One moment does not lead to another" in Section 4?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "I am one person--myself"?
2. Why is one of the characters not permitted to go on the walk in Section 1?
3. How did the character who witnesses the kiss in Section 1 react to it?
4. Which subject do the children appear to have a strong grasp of?
5. How does Bernard characterize his last day at school?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)