|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the speakers expresses an appreciation for natural beauty in Section 3?
2. What is the name of the boys' headmaster?
(a) Dr. Crane.
(b) Dr. Ramsay.
(d) Dr. Bloom.
3. Who provides an elaborate description of bathing at the end of the day?
4. Who arrives to pick up Rhoda at the end of Section 1?
(a) Her Aunt.
(c) Miss Hudson.
5. What physical feature does Rhoda struggle to identify on others?
(a) The posture.
(b) The hands.
(c) The eyes.
(d) The face.
6. Who is picking flowers alone in the novel's first section?
7. What is all that Neville possesses?
(a) A bible.
(b) A large trunk.
(c) A book of phrases.
(d) One bag.
8. What is Louis doing upon the commencement of his major monologue in Section 3?
(b) Meeting Bernard and Neville.
(c) Reading and eating.
(d) Meeting Susan.
9. What image is Susan reminded of at the end of her monologue in Section 3?
(a) Jinny kissing Louis.
(b) The estate at Elvedon.
(c) A sermon in church.
(d) The waves crashing on the beach.
10. Who utters Section 4's final words, "Now Percival is gone"?
11. Who is enamored with the light caused by Miss Lambert's ring?
12. How does Wolfe describe the birds' song at the beginning of the first section?
(a) "A blank melody outside."
(b) "A disruptive cacophony."
(c) "Like the chiming of bells."
(d) "Barely audible."
13. What do the characters wish to do with the moment they share in the restaurant in Section 4?
(a) Meditate on it.
(b) Tarnish it.
(c) Cherish it.
(d) Forget it.
14. Whose "mind is far too complex to be roused by any single activity"?
15. With what is Neville most unhappy as he appears in Section 4?
(a) That his food is cold.
(b) That Susan does not love him as he loves her.
(c) That Bernard is rude to him.
(d) That Percival has not yet arrived.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "Now let us issue from the darkness of solitude" at one point in Section 4?
2. What word does Louis use to characterize himself in Section 3?
3. How old is Rhoda in Section 3?
4. Who does Bernard refer to as "the authentics" in Section 4?
5. How would you characterize Neville's attitude as he waits for the others to arrive in Section 4?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)