|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who witnessed the kiss in the garden through a chink in the hedge in Section 1?
2. To what does the narrator compare the sound of the waves at the end of Section 3's beginning?
(a) Turbaned warriors.
(b) Roman soldiers.
(c) British infantry.
(d) Mongol hordes.
3. What significant fact does the reader learn about Bernard's life early in Section 4?
(a) He is on his way to a funeral.
(b) He is dying.
(c) He is engaged to be married.
(d) He has become famous.
4. Who instigated the kiss in the garden?
5. How does Rhoda characterize herself at the end of Section 3?
(a) As a girl.
(b) As a fighter.
(c) As a lover.
(d) As a woman.
6. How did the character who witnesses the kiss in Section 1 react to it?
(a) By also trying to kiss Louis.
(b) With anger and confusion.
(c) With joy and excitement.
(d) With fear and despair.
7. Who is enamored with the light caused by Miss Lambert's ring?
8. After reading the opening to Section 4, about what time of day is it?
(a) Late afternoon.
9. Which of the speakers expresses an appreciation for natural beauty in Section 3?
10. With what is Neville most unhappy as he appears in Section 4?
(a) That Susan does not love him as he loves her.
(b) That Percival has not yet arrived.
(c) That Bernard is rude to him.
(d) That his food is cold.
11. Who does Bernard refer to as "the authentics" in Section 4?
(a) Louis and Rhoda.
(b) Neville and Jinny.
(c) Susan and Rhoda.
(d) Jinny and Susan.
12. Who takes the children for a "brisk walk"?
(a) Mis Curry.
(c) Miss Hudson.
(d) Mrs. Constable.
13. What is Bernard doing at the beginning of Section 3?
(a) Meeting Susan.
(b) Eating dinner.
(c) Talking to Percival.
(d) Writing a letter.
14. Who kissed Louis in the garden?
15. What do the characters do upon Percival's arrival in Section 4?
(a) Stand and leave.
(b) Fall silent.
(c) Immediately begin recalling the past.
(d) Stand to greet him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Bernard seek to comfort during Section 1?
2. What is Louis's profession when the reader encounters him in Section 3?
3. Who is not permitted to go on the walk?
4. Which of the characters muses on a book that he wishes to keep when he is older?
5. Who shifts in his seat in Section 2 so that he might catch a glimpse of Percival?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)