|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bernard describe during his first line of monologue?
(a) An elephant.
(b) A spider's web.
(c) Fruity smells.
(d) A globe.
2. Who professes that Bernard looks composed?
3. Which of the speakers expresses an appreciation for natural beauty in Section 3?
4. To what does the narrator compare the sound of the waves at the end of Section 3's beginning?
(a) Mongol hordes.
(b) Roman soldiers.
(c) Turbaned warriors.
(d) British infantry.
5. Who does Bernard refer to as a "drunken sailor?"
(a) Dr. Crane.
6. What word does Louis use to characterize himself in Section 3?
7. With what is Neville most unhappy as he appears in Section 4?
(a) That his food is cold.
(b) That Bernard is rude to him.
(c) That Percival has not yet arrived.
(d) That Susan does not love him as he loves her.
8. What significant fact does the reader learn about Bernard's life early in Section 4?
(a) He is dying.
(b) He has become famous.
(c) He is engaged to be married.
(d) He is on his way to a funeral.
9. To which poet does Bernard compare himself to the point of attempting imitation in Section 3?
(a) Samuel Taylor Coleridge.
(b) Robert Burns.
(c) John Keats.
(d) Lord Byron.
10. What is all that Neville possesses?
(a) One bag.
(b) A bible.
(c) A large trunk.
(d) A book of phrases.
11. Which of the female characters seems most content with her place in life when the reader encounters her in Section 3?
(a) Miss Lambert.
12. In what city is Bernard in the beginning of Section 4?
13. Who instigated the kiss in the garden?
14. In Section 3, what common action does Jinny find "strange"?
15. Which of the children struggles with mathematics?
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the children doing as the novel begins?
2. Who decides to "put off my hopeless desire to be Susan, to be Jinny"?
3. Who is this Section 4's opening speaker?
4. What is Bernard doing at the beginning of Section 3?
5. When he is alone, who "is nothing" in Section 4?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)