|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the children doing as the novel begins?
(a) Waking up.
(b) Playing in the garden.
(c) Saying grace before dinner.
(d) Going to bed.
2. Who decides to "put off my hopeless desire to be Susan, to be Jinny"?
(d) Mrs. Constable.
3. Which of the children struggles with mathematics?
4. What is the name of the cook at school?
(a) Miss Curry.
(b) Miss Lambert.
(c) Miss Hudson.
5. Which of the speakers expresses an appreciation for natural beauty in Section 3?
6. What is the first speaker musing on at the beginning of Section 3?
(a) The form of waves.
(b) Whether there is an afterlife.
(c) Classical poets.
(d) The nature of identity.
7. What is the name of the boys' headmaster?
(a) Dr. Bloom.
(b) Dr. Crane.
(d) Dr. Ramsay.
8. What makes Jinny feel "native" in her environment?
(a) The music.
(b) A picture on the wall.
(c) The gaudiness of her surroundings.
(d) The people constantly passing her.
9. To where does Percival travel from England?
(a) To Australia.
(b) To Africa.
(c) To India.
(d) To America.
10. Who professes that Bernard looks composed?
11. What does the italicized prose at the beginning of the first section describe?
(a) The clouds covering the sun.
(b) The moon rising in the sky.
(c) A day yet to begin.
(d) The sun at midday.
12. Who is this Section 4's opening speaker?
13. Who remarks, "The world is entire, and I am outside of it . . ."?
14. Who refers to all the happenings as "scuffling and hubbub"?
15. To what does the narrator compare the sound of the waves at the end of Section 3's beginning?
(a) Turbaned warriors.
(b) Roman soldiers.
(c) Mongol hordes.
(d) British infantry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is one of the characters not permitted to go on the walk in Section 1?
2. What is Louis doing upon the commencement of his major monologue in Section 3?
3. How does Rhoda characterize herself at the end of Section 3?
4. What word does Louis use to characterize himself in Section 3?
5. What do the characters wish to do with the moment they share in the restaurant in Section 4?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)