|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the dominant image in the beginning of Section 2?
(a) The sun at mid-point in the sky.
(b) Waves on the beach as the sun rises.
(c) The sun setting.
(d) A silent forest.
2. What word does Louis use to characterize himself in Section 3?
3. To where does Percival travel from England?
(a) To India.
(b) To America.
(c) To Australia.
(d) To Africa.
4. What makes Jinny feel "native" in her environment?
(a) The gaudiness of her surroundings.
(b) The people constantly passing her.
(c) A picture on the wall.
(d) The music.
5. What is significant about what day it is at the end of Section 2?
(a) It is the boys' last day at school.
(b) It is the last day of the boys' first term at school.
(c) It is the boys' first day of their second year at school.
(d) It is the last day of summer.
6. Which of the speakers expresses an appreciation for natural beauty in Section 3?
7. What does the italicized prose at the beginning of the first section describe?
(a) The sun at midday.
(b) A day yet to begin.
(c) The moon rising in the sky.
(d) The clouds covering the sun.
8. Whose "mind is far too complex to be roused by any single activity"?
9. What is Louis's profession when the reader encounters him in Section 3?
10. Who begins Section 3?
11. How does Rhoda characterize herself at the end of Section 3?
(a) As a fighter.
(b) As a woman.
(c) As a lover.
(d) As a girl.
12. Who provides an elaborate description of bathing at the end of the day?
13. What is Louis doing upon the commencement of his major monologue in Section 3?
(b) Reading and eating.
(c) Meeting Susan.
(d) Meeting Bernard and Neville.
14. Which of the characters muses on a book that he wishes to keep when he is older?
15. What is the name of the boys' headmaster?
(b) Dr. Ramsay.
(c) Dr. Bloom.
(d) Dr. Crane.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who "only understands cries of love, hate, rage and pain"?
2. How did the character who witnesses the kiss in Section 1 react to it?
3. Which of the female characters does Neville express respect for?
4. Who is the first of the female speakers in Section 3?
5. Who kissed Louis in the garden?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)