|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the first character to speak?
2. Which subject do the children appear to have a strong grasp of?
(a) English Grammar.
3. Who is not permitted to go on the walk?
4. Which character closes Section 2?
5. To which poet does Bernard compare himself to the point of attempting imitation in Section 3?
(a) Samuel Taylor Coleridge.
(b) Lord Byron.
(c) John Keats.
(d) Robert Burns.
6. What is all that Neville possesses?
(a) One bag.
(b) A bible.
(c) A book of phrases.
(d) A large trunk.
7. What does Bernard acknowledge about his and the other boys' first night at school?
(a) That it is the first time apart from their sisters.
(b) That it is the first time apart from their parents.
(c) That it is the first time sleeping in a new place.
(d) That it is the first time far from home.
8. What is the name of the boys' headmaster?
(a) Dr. Bloom.
(b) Dr. Ramsay.
(c) Dr. Crane.
9. What significant fact does the reader learn about Bernard's life early in Section 4?
(a) He is dying.
(b) He is engaged to be married.
(c) He is on his way to a funeral.
(d) He has become famous.
10. Which of the children struggles with mathematics?
11. In Section 2, Miss Lambert sits under a picture of whom?
(a) Queen Elizabeth.
(b) Queen Victoria.
(c) Queen Alexandra.
(d) King James I.
12. Who begins Section 3?
13. Who is fond of the "orderly progress" exhibited by the schoolboys?
(d) Dr. Crane.
14. Which character opens Section 2's monologues?
15. What is Bernard doing at the beginning of Section 3?
(a) Talking to Percival.
(b) Meeting Susan.
(c) Eating dinner.
(d) Writing a letter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who refers to all the happenings as "scuffling and hubbub"?
2. How would you characterize Neville's attitude as he waits for the others to arrive in Section 4?
3. Which of the characters muses on a book that he wishes to keep when he is older?
4. Who does Bernard refer to as a "drunken sailor?"
5. Who arrives to pick up Rhoda at the end of Section 1?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)