|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who refers to "sudden kisses" as a "crudity"?
2. In what city is Bernard in the beginning of Section 4?
3. What physical feature does Rhoda struggle to identify on others?
(a) The posture.
(b) The hands.
(c) The face.
(d) The eyes.
4. What does Neville declare himself to be in Section 3?
(a) A philosopher.
(b) A poet.
(c) An historian.
(d) A lover.
5. How is the singing of the birds described in Section 3's opening?
6. Which character opens Section 2's monologues?
7. What is the first speaker musing on at the beginning of Section 3?
(a) The nature of identity.
(b) Whether there is an afterlife.
(c) Classical poets.
(d) The form of waves.
8. How does Wolfe describe the birds' song at the beginning of the first section?
(a) "A disruptive cacophony."
(b) "Like the chiming of bells."
(c) "A blank melody outside."
(d) "Barely audible."
9. Who provides an elaborate description of bathing at the end of the day?
10. What does the italicized prose at the beginning of the first section describe?
(a) The clouds covering the sun.
(b) The moon rising in the sky.
(c) A day yet to begin.
(d) The sun at midday.
11. Who is picking flowers alone in the novel's first section?
12. What are the children doing as the novel begins?
(a) Playing in the garden.
(b) Saying grace before dinner.
(c) Waking up.
(d) Going to bed.
13. Who is the first character to speak?
14. To what does the narrator compare the sound of the waves at the end of Section 3's beginning?
(a) Turbaned warriors.
(b) Roman soldiers.
(c) Mongol hordes.
(d) British infantry.
15. What is Louis doing upon the commencement of his major monologue in Section 3?
(b) Reading and eating.
(c) Meeting Susan.
(d) Meeting Bernard and Neville.
Short Answer Questions
1. After reading the opening to Section 4, about what time of day is it?
2. Who arrives to pick up Rhoda at the end of Section 1?
3. What significant fact does the reader learn about Bernard's life early in Section 4?
4. Which of the female characters seems most content with her place in life when the reader encounters her in Section 3?
5. What is Louis's profession when the reader encounters him in Section 3?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)