|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who begins Section 3?
2. Who witnessed the kiss in the garden through a chink in the hedge in Section 1?
3. What is the first speaker musing on at the beginning of Section 3?
(a) Classical poets.
(b) The nature of identity.
(c) The form of waves.
(d) Whether there is an afterlife.
4. Who is the first of the female speakers in Section 3?
(d) Miss Lambert.
5. How did the character who witnesses the kiss in Section 1 react to it?
(a) By also trying to kiss Louis.
(b) With joy and excitement.
(c) With fear and despair.
(d) With anger and confusion.
6. How does Bernard characterize his last day at school?
(a) An occasion for tears.
(b) An occasion for laughter.
(c) As ambiguous in significance.
(d) One final ceremony.
7. What significant fact does the reader learn about Bernard's life early in Section 4?
(a) He is dying.
(b) He has become famous.
(c) He is on his way to a funeral.
(d) He is engaged to be married.
8. Whose "mind is far too complex to be roused by any single activity"?
9. Who is the first character to speak?
10. What is Louis doing upon the commencement of his major monologue in Section 3?
(a) Reading and eating.
(c) Meeting Bernard and Neville.
(d) Meeting Susan.
11. With what is Neville most unhappy as he appears in Section 4?
(a) That his food is cold.
(b) That Bernard is rude to him.
(c) That Percival has not yet arrived.
(d) That Susan does not love him as he loves her.
12. Who is enamored with the light caused by Miss Lambert's ring?
13. What word does Louis use to characterize himself in Section 3?
14. Who repeats variations of the phrase, "I will gather my flowers and present them--Oh! to whom?"
15. Which of the speakers expresses an appreciation for natural beauty in Section 3?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the characters do upon Percival's arrival in Section 4?
2. How is the singing of the birds described in Section 3's opening?
3. Which of the girls is first to speak in Section 2?
4. What is the name of the cook at school?
5. In what city is Bernard in the beginning of Section 4?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)