Short Answer Questions
1. What does the italicized prose at the beginning of the first section describe?
2. How does Wolfe describe the birds' song at the beginning of the first section?
3. What are the children doing as the novel begins?
4. Who is the first character to speak?
5. What does Bernard describe during his first line of monologue?
6. Who hears "something stamping"?
7. Who kissed Louis in the garden?
8. Who witnessed the kiss in the garden through a chink in the hedge in Section 1?
This section contains 3,899 words
(approx. 13 pages at 300 words per page)