|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What image is Susan reminded of at the end of her monologue in Section 3?
(a) The estate at Elvedon.
(b) The waves crashing on the beach.
(c) A sermon in church.
(d) Jinny kissing Louis.
2. What does Neville declare himself to be in Section 3?
(a) A philosopher.
(b) A poet.
(c) An historian.
(d) A lover.
3. Who refers to "sudden kisses" as a "crudity"?
4. How does Bernard characterize his last day at school?
(a) One final ceremony.
(b) An occasion for laughter.
(c) As ambiguous in significance.
(d) An occasion for tears.
5. What is the dominant image in the beginning of Section 2?
(a) The sun at mid-point in the sky.
(b) Waves on the beach as the sun rises.
(c) A silent forest.
(d) The sun setting.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asserts, "One moment does not lead to another" in Section 4?
2. To what does the narrator compare the sound of the waves at the end of Section 3's beginning?
3. Where does Bernard travel towards the end of his major monologue in Section 5?
4. In Section 5, who asks, "but what is the thing that lies beneath the semblance of the thing?"
5. What significant fact does the reader learn about Bernard's life early in Section 4?
This section contains 232 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)