|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bernard acknowledge about his and the other boys' first night at school?
(a) That it is the first time apart from their parents.
(b) That it is the first time apart from their sisters.
(c) That it is the first time sleeping in a new place.
(d) That it is the first time far from home.
2. Who is enamored with the light caused by Miss Lambert's ring?
3. How does Wolfe describe the birds' song at the beginning of the first section?
(a) "Barely audible."
(b) "A disruptive cacophony."
(c) "Like the chiming of bells."
(d) "A blank melody outside."
4. What word does Louis use to characterize himself in Section 3?
5. In what city is Bernard in the beginning of Section 4?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which subject do the children appear to have a strong grasp of?
2. What are the children doing as the novel begins?
3. Who says, "Now let us issue from the darkness of solitude" at one point in Section 4?
4. What does the italicized prose at the beginning of the first section describe?
5. Why is one of the characters not permitted to go on the walk in Section 1?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)