|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the two dominant images of Section 8's introduction?
(a) The waves receding as the sun burns brighter.
(b) The nighttime sky and the calm waters.
(c) The sun sinking as the waves become the dominant image.
(d) Both the waves and the sun are sinking in power.
2. What significant fact does the reader learn about Bernard's life early in Section 4?
(a) He is engaged to be married.
(b) He has become famous.
(c) He is on his way to a funeral.
(d) He is dying.
3. Who is the first of the female speakers in Section 3?
(a) Miss Lambert.
4. After reading the opening to Section 4, about what time of day is it?
(b) Late afternoon.
5. What time of day does the passage at the beginning of Section 5 describe?
(d) Late night.
Short Answer Questions
1. What effect does Percival's presence have on the characters when he arrives in Section 4?
2. According to Section 7, what does Jinny resign herself to being in regards to the rest of her life?
3. Who witnessed the kiss in the garden through a chink in the hedge in Section 1?
4. Who "gape[s] like a young bird, unsatisfied, for something that has escaped me" in Section 8?
5. What is the effect of the sun's beams at the beginning of Section 5?
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)