|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the boys doing when the monologues in Section 2 return to their perspective?
(a) Walking to lunch.
(b) Playing at recess.
(c) Heading to classes.
(d) Going to chapel.
2. How does Wolfe describe the birds' song at the beginning of the first section?
(a) "A blank melody outside."
(b) "A disruptive cacophony."
(c) "Barely audible."
(d) "Like the chiming of bells."
3. What significant fact do we learn about Louis's love-life in the course of his major Section 7 monologue?
(a) He and Rhoda are married.
(b) He is a homosexual.
(c) He has struck up an affair with Jinny.
(d) Rhoda has left him.
4. In the beginning of Section 5, what state does Woolf describe the sun as being in?
(a) Nearly its brightest.
(b) Its dullest.
(c) Its most merciful.
(d) Its most uncompromising.
5. Who did Bernard seek to comfort during Section 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "Now let us issue from the darkness of solitude" at one point in Section 4?
2. In Section 6, Who remarks, "Percival has died . . . Life passes."?
3. What phrase does Susan use to describe her position in life as it is in Section 7?
4. With what is Neville most unhappy as he appears in Section 4?
5. In what city is Bernard in the beginning of Section 4?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)