|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Bogus thrown out of the Iowa bar?
2. What "graduation gift" does Bogus's dad offer?
3. What request does Biggie make before sending Colm to visit Bogus and Tulpen?
4. What does Frau Tashy ask Bogus not to do at night?
5. What gift does Tulpen give Colm before he leaves her house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What clues does Bogus see around the house that foreshadow who is staying with Couth?
2. What makes the limo driver nervous on the way to Maine?
3. What change does having Colm around spur in Tulpen?
4. When Bogus returns to Tulpen, what changes are noticeable in their relationship?
5. How does Bogus reflect on the life of a prostitute?
6. How is Sprog symbolic of Bogus?
7. How does Biggie indicate that the relationship between Bogus and Tulpen is the same between Bogus and Biggie?
8. What might the statue foreshadow for the reader?
9. In what ways does Old Thak represent Ralph?
10. How does the phrase, "There was, of course, no logic to the dwarf's fear of Harold's rather large cat" relate to the movie about Bogus's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose three writing styles John Irving uses in the novel. Explain how each is used and what each particular mode contributes to the overall piece in terms of its literary style.
Essay Topic 2
Why is it significant that Tulpen names her baby Merrill? What does Merrill's birth signify in Bogus's life? What developments in Bogus's life will set Merrill's birth apart from Colm's birth?
Essay Topic 3
Focusing on the theme of generational conflict, analyze the ties between Mr. Trumper, Bogus, and Colm. How does Bogus's sexual past enter into his relationship with Mr. Trumper? Further down the family tree, how does that relationship help or hinder the relationship between Bogus and Colm?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)