|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 13, what did Merrill try to teach Bogus?
2. How does Bogus feel about his truck?
3. While the rest of the studio crew is reviewing footage, where does Ralph send the errand boy?
4. How did Bogus convince Biggie he's been faithful?
5. What was spilled on the man in the men's room?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Biggie's letters differ, and which did she send?
2. How did Bogus's letter to Biggie differ from his daily interactions with her?
3. How are Bogus's plumbing problems symbolic of his medical issues?
4. In Chapter 18, what comparison does Bogus make between Akthelt and Gunnel and his life?
5. What makes Tulpen change her mind about her offer at the end of Chapter 12?
6. Why did Bogus describe Merrill as "the great illusion of my life"?
7. How did Bogus violate the girl in the country?
8. Describe the difference between Bogus's worry for the mouse versus his worry for the turtles and fish.
9. How did the dictionary symbolize Bogus's work ethic in life?
10. What caused Biggie and Bogus to fight in Chapter 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At various points in the novel, it is clear that Bogus's relationship with Tulpen begins to mirror his relationship with Biggie. The similarities between the women and the fact that Bogus hasn't changed makes this possible. However, both women have differences in the way they interact with Bogus, and this shapes Bogus's character along the way. Compare and contrast Biggie and Tulpen and the effect they have on Bogus.
Essay Topic 2
Couth doesn't only play the father figure to Bogus, but to Colm and Biggie as well. Give at least two examples per character of how Couth fathers the character and the effect it has on him or her.
Essay Topic 3
The poem of Akthelt and Gunnel is added to give Bogus another lens through which to examine his life. Find and support at least four connections between the Akthelt and Gunnel story and the main story of Bogus's life. In what ways can writing his thesis help Bogus to grow?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)