|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Timo tell Lucy to meet him when he calls in Chapter 34?
2. What character is the focus of Chapter 29?
3. Which dam came down second in Colorado?
4. On what river were the dams destroyed, according to the news stories in Chapter 23?
5. What happens when Angel goes to pay at the gas station in Chapter 36?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Maria manage to escape the Vet's compound in Chapter 38?
2. How have the changes in Lucy's circumstances impacted her role in the novel in Chapter 21?
3. What is revealed through Maria's observation of Angel's concern for Lucy in Chapter 22?
4. What decision does Maria make in Chapter 33? Why?
5. Why does Maria free the Vet's wild animals in Chapter 38?
6. What is ironic about Angel's relationship with Maria when they first meet in Chapters 22 and 23?
7. How do Lucy's and Maria's circumstances compare in this section of the novel?
8. What is significant about the allusions to Relic Jones in Chapter 34?
9. How is the theme of power explored in Chapter 35?
10. How does Maria respond to the different circumstances she faces in Chapter 25?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Maria's circumstances when her character is introduced in the novel. Where is Maria from? Where does she live? How does she survive? What struggles does she face?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the character of Julio in The Water Knife. What is Julio's relationship with Angel? For what power does Julio work? What are Julio's main objectives in the novel? Does he achieve those objectives? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the setting of The Water Knife. When and where does the action largely take place in the novel? How would you relate this setting to your community today? What has created the setting of the novel?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)