|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Timo tell Lucy to meet him when he calls in Chapter 34?
2. What was written on the knuckles of the man who held a gun to Angel in Mexico?
3. From whom are the Pima people descended, according to Lucy in Chapter 27?
4. How hot is the heat described as when Maria sits in the cage in Chapter 35?
5. Which of the dams were the first to come down in Colorado?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the theme of power explored in Chapter 35?
2. How does Maria respond to the different circumstances she faces in Chapter 25?
3. How do Lucy's and Maria's circumstances compare in this section of the novel?
4. How does Maria's concern regarding the water rights differ from those of the other main characters in Chapter 23?
5. How does Lucy's betrayal of Angel play out in Chapter 36?
6. How are the characters of Angel and Toomie contrasted against one another in Chapter 29?
7. What is revealed through Maria's observation of Angel's concern for Lucy in Chapter 22?
8. How does Maria manage to escape the Vet's compound in Chapter 38?
9. What decision does Maria make in Chapter 33? Why?
10. What symbolism can be seen in Angel's conversation with Case in Chapter 31?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are the characters of Lucy and Angel differentiated and juxtaposed against one another in the beginning of the novel? How do these characters change once they have begin interacting with one another? What causes this change?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the setting of The Water Knife. When and where does the action largely take place in the novel? How would you relate this setting to your community today? What has created the setting of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of power in The Water Knife. Who in the novel holds the most power? How is this power illustrated? What or who are the symbols of power in Lucy's, Angel's, and Maria's story lines?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)