|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the man who comes and sits with Lucy after Timo leaves the bar in Chapter 34?
2. At what time does the man at the bar tell Lucy to hand off Angel in Chapter 34?
3. How old was Angel when he encountered a killer face-to-face in Mexico?
4. When does Lucy say the water rights were granted to the Pima people on the Colorado River in Chapter 27?
5. What character is the central focus in Chapter 33?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Maria respond to the different circumstances she faces in Chapter 25?
2. How is the theme of perspective explored in Chapter 32?
3. How is Angel's character revealed to the reader from Maria's perspective in Chapter 22?
4. How does Maria's concern regarding the water rights differ from those of the other main characters in Chapter 23?
5. What is revealed through Maria's observation of Angel's concern for Lucy in Chapter 22?
6. Where do Angel and Lucy go in Chapter 28? Why? How is this setting described?
7. What is ironic about Angel's relationship with Maria when they first meet in Chapters 22 and 23?
8. What irony can be seen in Angel's conversation with Case in Chapter 31?
9. How are the characters of Angel and Toomie contrasted against one another in Chapter 29?
10. How does the narrative perspective change in Chapter 23?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Maria's entrapment at the Vet's compound in the narrative. Why has Maria been held captive? What looming danger does she face while she is entrapped? How does Maria's entrapment act as a metaphor in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of power in The Water Knife. Who in the novel holds the most power? How is this power illustrated? What or who are the symbols of power in Lucy's, Angel's, and Maria's story lines?
Essay Topic 3
Define the term "antihero" and discuss how this term applies to Angel's character in The Water Knife. What personality traits does Angel exhibit that make him an antihero? How do Angel's actions in the novel contribute to this title? Is an antihero a protagonist or antagonist?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)