|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Catherine Case say she is when she talks on the phone with Angel in Chapter 31?
2. Where are the license plates from on the car that Lucy has borrowed from Charlene in Chapter 34?
3. How does Angel get past the worker as he and Maria escape through the tunnels in Chapter 24?
4. What kind of business cards did Timo's visitors flash when they came to talk to him in Chapter 34?
5. What character's perspective does Chapter 37 focus on?
Short Essay Questions
1. How have the changes in Lucy's circumstances impacted her role in the novel in Chapter 21?
2. Where do Angel and Lucy go in Chapter 28? Why? How is this setting described?
3. What symbolism can be seen in Angel's conversation with Case in Chapter 31?
4. How is the theme of power explored in Chapter 35?
5. How are the themes of danger and violence explored in Chapter 32?
6. How are the characters of Angel and Toomie contrasted against one another in Chapter 29?
7. How does Maria's concern regarding the water rights differ from those of the other main characters in Chapter 23?
8. What is revealed through Maria's observation of Angel's concern for Lucy in Chapter 22?
9. How has the perspective changed in Chapter 37? Why is this significant?
10. How does Lucy's betrayal of Angel play out in Chapter 36?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of betrayal in The Water Knife. What characters commit acts of betrayal in the novel? To what means are these acts committed? How are the main characters in the story affected by betrayal?
Essay Topic 2
What is Lucy's profession? How does Lucy's profession help her in the course of the novel? How does it hinder her? How does her profession influence her outlook on life?
Essay Topic 3
How is the theme of water and drought illustrated in the novel? What are examples of imagery and symbolism that reinforce this theme? How does the author explore this theme through character, action, and setting?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)