|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Julio say the Coca-Cola bottling plant is relocating in Chapter 13?
2. What is Angel's last name in the narrative?
3. What drug does Sarah give to Maria in Chapter 15?
4. What are the residents of the Taiyang called in the novel?
5. What color hair does Catherine Case have?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Angel's character introduced in Chapter 1? What does the author reveal about his character in this chapter?
2. What is revealed through the change in the narrative's focus in Chapter 11?
3. How would you describe the language style of The Water Knife?
4. How are the events in Chapter 15 significant in terms of Maria's role in the story?
5. How does Lucy differ from the other main characters in terms of privilege?
6. What is the purpose of the author revealing Angel's back-story in Chapter 4?
7. What observations does Lucy make of Maria and Sarah in Chapter 14?
8. How is the narrative of The Water Knife related?
9. How is the theme of choices illustrated in Chapter 8?
10. What is significant about the phone call between Angel and Case in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are the characters of Lucy and Angel differentiated and juxtaposed against one another in the beginning of the novel? How do these characters change once they have begin interacting with one another? What causes this change?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Maria's circumstances when her character is introduced in the novel. Where is Maria from? Where does she live? How does she survive? What struggles does she face?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the plot structure of The Water Knife. Is the story related in a linear or nonlinear narrative? Where in the story does the exposition transition to rising action? Where do the climax, falling action, and denouement occur?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)