|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how long can Cypress 1 run on its own water without even dipping into the Colorado River supply?
2. What book does Angel reach for on Lucy's shelf in Chapter 16?
3. Who was killed by the Vet's pets when Sarah attended a party at his compound?
4. Where is Lucy meeting with the Chinese engineer in Chapter 19?
5. Where was Lucy's friend's murdered body discovered?
Short Essay Questions
1. What paradox can be seen in Angel's character? How is this paradox illustrated in Chapter 1?
2. What does Angel learn about Lucy in Chapter 13? How does this information affect him?
3. How is Angel's character introduced in Chapter 1? What does the author reveal about his character in this chapter?
4. What irony can be seen in the encounter between Lucy and Maria in Chapters 14 and 15?
5. What is the purpose of the author revealing Angel's back-story in Chapter 4?
6. How do the antagonists for Angel, Lucy, and Maria differ?
7. What is the inciting event that sets the narrative into motion?
8. What is revealed through the change in the narrative's focus in Chapter 11?
9. How is the narrative of The Water Knife related?
10. What is illustrated for the reader in the first encounter between Lucy and Maria in Chapter 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the setting of The Water Knife. When and where does the action largely take place in the novel? How would you relate this setting to your community today? What has created the setting of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
How is the theme of water and drought illustrated in the novel? What are examples of imagery and symbolism that reinforce this theme? How does the author explore this theme through character, action, and setting?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of betrayal in The Water Knife. What characters commit acts of betrayal in the novel? To what means are these acts committed? How are the main characters in the story affected by betrayal?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)