|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Lucy's friend that has been found murdered in Chapter 2?
2. What is Julio's last name?
3. What book does Angel reach for on Lucy's shelf in Chapter 16?
4. What is the name of Lucy's dog?
5. For how long can Cypress 1 run on its own water without even dipping into the Colorado River supply?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the theme of choices illustrated in Chapter 8?
2. What is revealed through the change in the narrative's focus in Chapter 11?
3. What motif appears in Chapter 16? What does this motif foreshadow?
4. How does Maria's perspective differ from those of the other main characters when she is introduced in Chapter 3?
5. What is the inciting event that sets the narrative into motion?
6. How would you describe the language style of The Water Knife?
7. What irony can be seen in the encounter between Lucy and Maria in Chapters 14 and 15?
8. How do the antagonists for Angel, Lucy, and Maria differ?
9. How are the events in Chapter 15 significant in terms of Maria's role in the story?
10. How is the narrative of The Water Knife related?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are the characters of Lucy and Angel differentiated and juxtaposed against one another in the beginning of the novel? How do these characters change once they have begin interacting with one another? What causes this change?
Essay Topic 2
What makes Lucy try to take the water rights in the end of the novel? Do you think she is justified in doing so? Why or why not? What obstacle does this action present to the other main characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Sarah and Maria in the novel. Where and when did Sarah and Maria meet? What led them to living with one another? What does Sarah do for survival? What happens to her in the course of the story?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)