|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Lucy's sister?
2. Who is Lucy's friend that has been found murdered in Chapter 2?
3. What is Lucy's last name?
4. What is "da dong" translated as in Chapter 14?
5. What kind of car does Angel drive?
Short Essay Questions
1. What character transformation begins to occur in Chapter 11?
2. How does Maria's perspective differ from those of the other main characters when she is introduced in Chapter 3?
3. What is revealed through the change in the narrative's focus in Chapter 11?
4. What paradox can be seen in Angel's character? How is this paradox illustrated in Chapter 1?
5. How are the events in Chapter 15 significant in terms of Maria's role in the story?
6. What is established through the exchange between Lucy and Angel in Chapter 16?
7. What motif appears in Chapter 16? What does this motif foreshadow?
8. What irony can be seen in the encounter between Lucy and Maria in Chapters 14 and 15?
9. How do the antagonists for Angel, Lucy, and Maria differ?
10. What is the inciting event that sets the narrative into motion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of power in The Water Knife. Who in the novel holds the most power? How is this power illustrated? What or who are the symbols of power in Lucy's, Angel's, and Maria's story lines?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Maria's circumstances when her character is introduced in the novel. Where is Maria from? Where does she live? How does she survive? What struggles does she face?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Julio in The Water Knife. What is Julio's relationship with Angel? For what power does Julio work? What are Julio's main objectives in the novel? Does he achieve those objectives? Why or why not?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)