|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Lucy's dog described in Chapter 16?
2. Where is Sarah from?
3. What does "CAP" refer to in the novel?
4. What is the name of Anna's husband?
5. What is the slang term used to refer to inexperienced journalists in the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is established through the exchange between Lucy and Angel in Chapter 16?
2. How does Lucy differ from the other main characters in terms of privilege?
3. How would you describe the language style of The Water Knife?
4. What is significant about the phone call between Angel and Case in Chapter 7?
5. What irony can be seen in the encounter between Lucy and Maria in Chapters 14 and 15?
6. What does Angel learn about Lucy in Chapter 13? How does this information affect him?
7. How do the antagonists for Angel, Lucy, and Maria differ?
8. What observations does Lucy make of Maria and Sarah in Chapter 14?
9. What is the purpose of the author revealing Angel's back-story in Chapter 4?
10. In Chapters 17 through 20, the three main characters finally come into direct contact with one another. How does this impact the narrative?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the term "antihero" and discuss how this term applies to Angel's character in The Water Knife. What personality traits does Angel exhibit that make him an antihero? How do Angel's actions in the novel contribute to this title? Is an antihero a protagonist or antagonist?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Maria's entrapment at the Vet's compound in the narrative. Why has Maria been held captive? What looming danger does she face while she is entrapped? How does Maria's entrapment act as a metaphor in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What statements do you think the author is making regarding climate change, drought, refugee crises, and contemporary politics in The Water Knife? How do the events in the story relate to our contemporary global society? How do they differ?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)