|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lucy's captor use to beat her with in Chapter 24?
(a) An electrical cord.
(b) A sock filled with soap.
(c) A belt.
(d) A bicycle chain.
2. What does Lucy make out from the window of the home where she's held captive in Chapter 24?
(a) The Klamath River.
(b) The Ohio River.
(c) The CAP canal.
(d) The Hoover Dam.
3. What are the religious fanatics referred to in the novel?
(b) Merry Perrys.
4. Who does the man at the bar threaten to hurt if Lucy doesn't comply and hand over Angel in Chapter 34?
(a) Toomie and his family.
(b) Timo and his family.
(c) Maria and her family.
(d) Anna and her family.
5. On what river were the dams destroyed, according to the news stories in Chapter 23?
(a) The Trinity River.
(b) The Klamath River.
(c) The Hyde River.
(d) The Gunnison River.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which dam came down second in Colorado?
2. In Chapter 34, Lucy thinks, "This is what fear does ... It makes you" what?
3. Why does Lucy's captor say he can't access Jamie's accounts in Chapter 24?
4. What does "La Santa Muerte" translate to in English?
5. What kind of business cards did Timo's visitors flash when they came to talk to him in Chapter 34?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the reversal of character between Angel and Lucy illustrated in Chapter 27?
2. Where do Angel and Lucy go in Chapter 28? Why? How is this setting described?
3. What is revealed through Maria's observation of Angel's concern for Lucy in Chapter 22?
4. What symbolism can be seen in Angel's conversation with Case in Chapter 31?
5. What moral choice does Lucy face in Chapter 34? What is significant about her decision?
6. Why does Maria free the Vet's wild animals in Chapter 38?
7. What irony can be seen in the relationship between Angel and Maria in Chapter 26?
8. How is Angel's character revealed to the reader from Maria's perspective in Chapter 22?
9. How are the themes of danger and violence explored in Chapter 32?
10. What decision does Maria make in Chapter 33? Why?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)