|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does "CAP" refer to in the novel?
(a) The Central Amazon Project.
(b) The Central America Project.
(c) The Creative Application of Plantlife.
(d) The Central Arizona Project.
2. Where is Lucy from?
(c) New York.
3. Lucy relates in Chapter 14 that Ratan was sent to Phoenix to serve as chief hydrologist on what project?
(a) The Phoenix Rising project.
(b) The Verde Aquifer project.
(c) The NWAS Project.
(d) The Scarlet Letter project.
4. Where is Lucy meeting with the Chinese engineer in Chapter 19?
(a) Saguaro Coffee.
(b) Cafe Ole.
(c) The Four Seasons.
(d) The Hilton 6.
5. Who was killed by the Vet's pets when Sarah attended a party at his compound?
(a) Catherine Case.
(b) Ray Torres and Andy.
(c) Dona Arroyo and Franz.
(d) Tammy Bayless.
Short Answer Questions
1. What television show does Angel watch in his hotel room in Chapter 13?
2. What words are tattooed on Angel's back?
3. What company has merged with the New York Times in the novel?
4. What kind of animals does the Vet keep as pets?
5. Where does Julio say the Coca-Cola bottling plant is relocating in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the theme of choices illustrated in Chapter 8?
2. How does Maria's perspective differ from those of the other main characters when she is introduced in Chapter 3?
3. What is significant about the phone call between Angel and Case in Chapter 7?
4. How does Lucy differ from the other main characters in terms of privilege?
5. In Chapters 17 through 20, the three main characters finally come into direct contact with one another. How does this impact the narrative?
6. How is Lucy's character juxtaposed against Angel's in Chapter 2?
7. What does Angel learn about Lucy in Chapter 13? How does this information affect him?
8. What is the inciting event that sets the narrative into motion?
9. What is established through the exchange between Lucy and Angel in Chapter 16?
10. How are the events in Chapter 15 significant in terms of Maria's role in the story?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)