|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what does Mrs. Porter wash her feet inPart III, The Fire Sermon?
2. How long has Phlebas been dead in Part IV, Death by Water?
3. Whose finger sinks into the wet bank in Part III, The Fire Sermon?
4. What type of bird narrates the section about the animal creeping among the vegetation in Part III, The Fire Sermon?
5. Where is the animal found creeping among the vegetation in Part III, The Fire Sermon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the title of The Fire Sermon?
2. What is the main idea of the last section of Death by Water?
3. Why are Elizabeth and Leicester mentioned in The Fire Sermon, what?
4. What do the words, “jug, jug, jug” refer to in The Fire Sermon?
5. How is Tiresias described in The Fire Sermon?
6. In The Fire Sermon, what does the typist do when her lover leaves?
7. Who is Mr. Eugenides in The Fire Sermon?
8. What is the main message of this section of The Fire Sermon?
9. Why is Mr. Eugenides included in The Fire Sermon?
10. What does Tiresias witness in The Fire Sermon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Phlebas is a strange character. Who is he, and how does he appear in this poem?
Essay Topic 2
The Unreal City is mentioned a number of times. What is the Unreal City and why is this city important to the narrator?
Essay Topic 3
There are many foreign languages used in this poem. What is the significance of using foreign languages?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)