|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of bird narrates the section about the animal creeping among the vegetation in Part III, The Fire Sermon?
2. What does the merchant not notice about the typist in Part III, The Fire Sermon?
3. How long does the Thames run in Part III, The Fire Sermon?
4. What instrument does the narrator hear while walking along Lower Thames Street?
5. What sweats out of the river in Part III, The Fire Sermon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the title of The Fire Sermon?
2. What does Tiresias witness in The Fire Sermon?
3. Who is Mr. Eugenides in The Fire Sermon?
4. Why are Elizabeth and Leicester mentioned in The Fire Sermon, what?
5. How does The Fire Sermon end, and what does it mean?
6. What is the main idea of the last section of Death by Water?
7. In The Fire Sermon, what does Richmond, promise and how does the narrator respond to this?
8. In The Fire Sermon, what does the typist do when she comes home?
9. In The Fire Sermon, what does the typist do when her lover leaves?
10. How is Tiresias described in The Fire Sermon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Two different relationships are compared in A Game of Chess. Why does the poet included these different relationship, and what do they symbolize?
Essay Topic 2
Eliot presents the idea that lust and passion are mostly negative things. How does he make this point?
Essay Topic 3
This poem include strong religious ideas. What are some of these ideas and how are they presented?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)