|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What picks Phlebas’s bones in Part IV, Death by Water?
2. What language is used after Mrs. Porter is described in Part III, The Fire Sermon?
3. How long does the Thames run in Part III, The Fire Sermon?
4. What does the merchant not notice about the typist in Part III, The Fire Sermon?
5. How many times is the word, ‘Twit’ repeated in succession in Part III, The Fire Sermon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the main message of this section of The Fire Sermon?
2. In The Fire Sermon, what does Richmond, promise and how does the narrator respond to this?
3. How is Tiresias described in The Fire Sermon?
4. In The Fire Sermon, what does the typist do when her lover leaves?
5. Why are Elizabeth and Leicester mentioned in The Fire Sermon, what?
6. What do the words, “jug, jug, jug” refer to in The Fire Sermon?
7. What does Tiresias witness in The Fire Sermon?
8. What does the river mentioned at the beginning of The Fire Sermon symbolize?
9. How is Mrs. Porter described in The Fire Sermon?
10. What is the significance of the title Death by Water?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hyperbole is a literary device that is used throughout this poem. Provide examples of hyperbole and how does this literary device affect the story line?
Essay Topic 2
There are many foreign languages used in this poem. What is the significance of using foreign languages?
Essay Topic 3
Lil is a very important character in the story. Why is this and what message does her presence send?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)