|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the narrator weep at beginning of Part III, The Fire Sermon?
2. What is Mr. Eugenides’s occupation?
3. How does the Thames run at the beginning of Part III, The Fire Sermon?
4. Who is described as rudely forced in Part III, The Fire Sermon?
5. How long does the Thames run in Part III, The Fire Sermon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the title of The Fire Sermon?
2. How is Tiresias described in The Fire Sermon?
3. What is the significance of the title Death by Water?
4. In The Fire Sermon, what does the typist do when her lover leaves?
5. What is the main idea of the last section of Death by Water?
6. In The Fire Sermon, what does Richmond, promise and how does the narrator respond to this?
7. Who is Mr. Eugenides in The Fire Sermon?
8. What do the words, “jug, jug, jug” refer to in The Fire Sermon?
9. What does the river mentioned at the beginning of The Fire Sermon symbolize?
10. Why is Mr. Eugenides included in The Fire Sermon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many foreign languages used in this poem. What is the significance of using foreign languages?
Essay Topic 2
All of the seasons are described at the beginning of the poem. Why is this, and what does this foreshadow?
Essay Topic 3
The figure of Philomel is included in many sections of this poem. Who is she and why is she included in this poem?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)