|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the rich woman complain of in a Game of Chess?
2. What author pens the elegant rag spoken in a Game of Chess?
3. What meal does Lil make when she invites the narrator to diner?
4. In a Game of Chess, what does the rich woman beg the man in the room to do?
5. What about Madame Sosostris does the narrator say is wicked?
Short Essay Questions
1. What stroke of the clock is mentioned in Burial of the Dead, and why?
2. What is the significance of the perfumes in A Game of Chess?
3. What do the rich woman and her companion do together, and what does this activity mean?
4. What words are repeated to Lil in A Game of Chess, and what do they mean?
5. Why are German statements included in the Burial of the Dead?
6. How does the narrator describe the winter season in the Burial of the Dead?
7. What is the significance of the title of A Game of Chess?
8. How does the second section A Game of Chess end, and what does this ending signify?
9. Why is Mylae mentioned in Burial of the Dead?
10. What is the main feeling of the Burial of the Dead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Two different relationships are compared in A Game of Chess. Why does the poet included these different relationship, and what do they symbolize?
Essay Topic 2
Historical figures are included in this poem. Who are they, and what effect does this inclusion have on the poem?
Essay Topic 3
Phlebas is a strange character. Who is he, and how does he appear in this poem?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)