|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is called the Son of Man in the Burial of the Dead?
2. Why doesn’t Lil have any more children than she does now?
3. In the Burial of the Dead, what does the narrator say he will show the reader under the red rock?
4. In a Game of Chess, what does the rich woman end up doing with her lover?
5. What had undone many people in the Unreal City?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the main feeling of the Burial of the Dead?
2. What words are repeated to Lil in A Game of Chess, and what do they mean?
3. What is called no friend to man in the Burial of the Dead, and why do you think that is?
4. What does the narrator censure Lil over in A Game of Chess?
5. What has altered Lil’s health in A Game of Chess?
6. Why are German statements included in the Burial of the Dead?
7. How does the narrator describe the summer season in the Burial of the Dead?
8. What are some tarot cards that appear in the Burial of the Dead, and what do they indicate?
9. What is the significance of the title Burial of the Dead?
10. What is the main complaint of the rich woman in A Game of Chess?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Each section of this poem has a meaningful and telling title. Discuss the significance of each title.
Essay Topic 2
All of the seasons are described at the beginning of the poem. Why is this, and what does this foreshadow?
Essay Topic 3
Hyperbole is a literary device that is used throughout this poem. Provide examples of hyperbole and how does this literary device affect the story line?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)