|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Albert’s occupation?
2. In the Burial of the Dead, what frightens Marie?
3. What does Marie do until late in the night?
4. Of what does the narrator tell Lil she should be ashamed?
5. What animal symbolizes a lack of meaning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the perfumes in A Game of Chess?
2. What is the significance of the title Burial of the Dead?
3. How does the narrator describe the summer season in the Burial of the Dead?
4. How does the narrator describe the winter season in the Burial of the Dead?
5. What is called no friend to man in the Burial of the Dead, and why do you think that is?
6. What are some tarot cards that appear in the Burial of the Dead, and what do they indicate?
7. What are the walls of the rich woman’s home decorated with, and what do the decorations symbolize?
8. What does the narrator censure Lil over in A Game of Chess?
9. What is the main feeling of the Burial of the Dead?
10. What does the rich woman beg of her companion in A Game of Chess?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Historical figures are included in this poem. Who are they, and what effect does this inclusion have on the poem?
Essay Topic 2
Thunder is a very symbolic figure in this poem. Where does it appear, and what does it mean to the rest of the poem?
Essay Topic 3
Phlebas is a strange character. Who is he, and how does he appear in this poem?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)