|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sweats out of the river in Part III, The Fire Sermon?
(a) Rainbows of muck
(b) Oil and tar
(c) Life and death
2. What language is used after Mrs. Porter is described in Part III, The Fire Sermon?
3. What does the narrator compare to Phlebas in Part IV, Death by Water?
(b) All sailors
(c) The reader
4. What color are the bodies littered on the ground in Part III, The Fire Sermon?
5. Where are bones of the bodies littered on the ground cast in Part III, The Fire Sermon?
(a) The bin
(b) The garret
(c) The water
(d) The foxes hole
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times is the word, ‘Twit’ repeated in succession in Part III, The Fire Sermon?
2. How long has Phlebas been dead in Part IV, Death by Water?
3. What happens season will Sweeney be brought to Mrs. Porter?
4. What departs at the beginning of Part III, The Fire Sermon?
5. What picks Phlebas’s bones in Part IV, Death by Water?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the words, “jug, jug, jug” refer to in The Fire Sermon?
2. What is the significance of the title Death by Water?
3. How is Tiresias described in The Fire Sermon?
4. In The Fire Sermon, what does the typist do when she comes home?
5. How does The Fire Sermon end, and what does it mean?
6. Who is Phlebas in Death by Water?
7. How is Mrs. Porter described in The Fire Sermon?
8. What is the main message of this section of The Fire Sermon?
9. What does the river mentioned at the beginning of The Fire Sermon symbolize?
10. Why are Elizabeth and Leicester mentioned in The Fire Sermon, what?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)