|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Eugenides have in his pocket?
2. What does the narrator say humble people expect from him in Part III, The Fire Sermon?
3. What cries near Phlebas’s body in Part IV, Death by Water?
(c) The wind
4. What does the narrator hear rattling in Part III, The Fire Sermon?
5. What does the narrator compare to Phlebas in Part IV, Death by Water?
(b) The reader
(c) All sailors
Short Answer Questions
1. What language does Mr. Eugenides use he speaks to the narrator?
2. Where are bones of the bodies littered on the ground cast in Part III, The Fire Sermon?
3. How is the belly of the animal that creeps through the vegetation described in Part III, The Fire Sermon?
4. What is Mr. Eugenides’s occupation?
5. What language is used after Mrs. Porter is described in Part III, The Fire Sermon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mr. Eugenides included in The Fire Sermon?
2. What do the words, “jug, jug, jug” refer to in The Fire Sermon?
3. How is Mrs. Porter described in The Fire Sermon?
4. What does the river mentioned at the beginning of The Fire Sermon symbolize?
5. What is the significance of the title Death by Water?
6. Why are Elizabeth and Leicester mentioned in The Fire Sermon, what?
7. In The Fire Sermon, what does the typist do when she comes home?
8. What is the main idea of the last section of Death by Water?
9. Who is Mr. Eugenides in The Fire Sermon?
10. In The Fire Sermon, what does Richmond, promise and how does the narrator respond to this?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)