|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the Burial of the Dead, why are German phrases added to the poem?
(a) To confuse the reader
(b) To fit the rhyme scheme
(c) To symbolize the war
(d) To paint a vivid picture
2. To what does the poet compare the chair in section II of a Game of Chess?
(a) A vault
(b) A gallows
(c) A throne
(d) A stock
3. Why does Lil look so old?
(a) She takes strange medication
(b) She has children
(c) She has worked her whole life
(d) She is very sick
4. What does Marie do until late in the night?
5. What does the narrator say must be kept from the garden?
(a) The sun
(b) The dog
(c) The children
(d) The elements
Short Answer Questions
1. According to this poet, what is the cruelest month?
2. What does the cruelest month mix together?
3. What does Albert dislike about Lil?
4. What language is used at the end the Burial of the Dead?
5. What does the narrator fear disturbs the thing that was planted in a garden?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has altered Lil’s health in A Game of Chess?
2. What has Lil been given money for in A Game of Chess?
3. What is called no friend to man in the Burial of the Dead, and why do you think that is?
4. What do hyacinths symbolize, and why are they included in the Burial of the Dead?
5. What stroke of the clock is mentioned in Burial of the Dead, and why?
6. What is buried in a garden, and what does this symbolize?
7. According to the narrator, what is the cruelest month and why?
8. What happens to the narrator when he mentions hyacinths?
9. How is Lil’s marriage described in A Game of Chess?
10. What are the walls of the rich woman’s home decorated with, and what do the decorations symbolize?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)