|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator warn Lil will happen if she does not give Albert what he wants?
(a) He will take it if she does not give it
(b) He will beat her
(c) He will leave her
(d) He will find it elsewhere
2. What author pens the elegant rag spoken in a Game of Chess?
3. What is the name of Lil’s youngest child?
4. Who keeps the hours in the Unreal City?
(a) Saint Andrew
(b) Saint Anthony
(c) Saint Theresa Wanterford
(d) Saint Mary Woolnoth
5. What do the repeated words to Lil reference?
(a) Aging and loss of beauty
(b) Last call at the bar
(c) Being pregnant about to give birth
(d) The changing seasons
Short Answer Questions
1. How many cupids are carved into the glass found in a Game of Chess?
2. Why does Lil look so old?
3. In the Burial of the Dead, what is not found under the red rock?
4. What color is the fog in the Unreal City?
5. What creates fiery points around the rich woman in a Game of Chess?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the Unreal City in the Burial of the Dead?
2. What is the main feeling of the Burial of the Dead?
3. Why is Mylae mentioned in Burial of the Dead?
4. What words are repeated to Lil in A Game of Chess, and what do they mean?
5. How does the narrator describe the winter season in the Burial of the Dead?
6. What happens to the narrator when he mentions hyacinths?
7. How does the second section A Game of Chess end, and what does this ending signify?
8. What is the significance of the title of A Game of Chess?
9. What is the main message of A Game of Chess?
10. What is the significance of the perfumes in A Game of Chess?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)