|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of death is seen in the Unreal City?
(a) All of the above
(b) A painless death
(c) A symbolic death
(d) A waking death
2. How old is Lil?
3. What type of pattern is etched into the glass found in a Game of Chess?
(b) Geometric patterns
4. Where does the narrator spend his summers?
(a) The Maldahasee
(b) The Gerbertensee
(c) The Sternbergersee
(d) The Tatnoogeese
5. What do the passing seasons in the Burial of the Dead, symbolize?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Albert give Lil money?
2. In the Burial of the Dead, what does the narrator say he will show the reader under the red rock?
3. What is the relationship between Lil and Albert?
4. What does the rich woman complain of in a Game of Chess?
5. Who is bid farewell to over and over at the end of a Game of Chess?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are German statements included in the Burial of the Dead?
2. What are the walls of the rich woman’s home decorated with, and what do the decorations symbolize?
3. What happens to the narrator when he mentions hyacinths?
4. What is the significance of the title of A Game of Chess?
5. What words are repeated to Lil in A Game of Chess, and what do they mean?
6. How does the narrator describe the winter season in the Burial of the Dead?
7. What is the significance of the title Burial of the Dead?
8. What does the narrator censure Lil over in A Game of Chess?
9. Who is Albert and what is his role in A Game of Chess?
10. What is buried in a garden, and what does this symbolize?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)