|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What repeated word reference Philomel in a Game of Chess?
2. In the Burial of the Dead, what do hyacinths symbolize?
3. What about Madame Sosostris does the narrator say is wicked?
(a) Her coins
(b) Her hands
(c) Her cards
(d) Her eyes
4. Of what does Lil accuse the narrator?
(a) Sleeping with her husband
(b) Stealing money
(c) Breaking the law
(d) Cheating on her husband
5. Why does Albert give Lil money?
(a) To buy new teeth
(b) To buy new hair
(c) To buy new shoes
(d) To buy new clothes
Short Answer Questions
1. In a Game of Chess, what does the rich woman end up doing with her lover?
2. What does the poet say summer does to us?
3. Where does the narrator spend his summers?
4. Who is buried in the first section of the Burial of the Dead?
5. What is the relationship between Lil and Albert?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the title of A Game of Chess?
2. What stroke of the clock is mentioned in Burial of the Dead, and why?
3. What is the main complaint of the rich woman in A Game of Chess?
4. How does the second section A Game of Chess end, and what does this ending signify?
5. What is the main message of A Game of Chess?
6. How is the setting of the first part of A Game of Chess described?
7. What do hyacinths symbolize, and why are they included in the Burial of the Dead?
8. Who is Madame Sosostris, and how does the narrator describe her?
9. What has altered Lil’s health in A Game of Chess?
10. According to the narrator, what is the cruelest month and why?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)