|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the narrator spend his summers?
(a) The Tatnoogeese
(b) The Sternbergersee
(c) The Maldahasee
(d) The Gerbertensee
2. What does Albert want from Lil?
(a) Her money
3. What type of pattern is etched into the glass found in a Game of Chess?
(a) Geometric patterns
4. According to this poet, what is the cruelest month?
5. Why does Lil look so old?
(a) She has worked her whole life
(b) She takes strange medication
(c) She is very sick
(d) She has children
6. In the Burial of the Dead, why are German phrases added to the poem?
(a) To confuse the reader
(b) To symbolize the war
(c) To fit the rhyme scheme
(d) To paint a vivid picture
7. In a Game of Chess, what does the rich woman beg the man in the room to do?
(a) Kiss her
(b) Speak with her
(d) Declare his love for her
8. What does Albert dislike about Lil?
(a) Her hair
(b) Her teeth
(c) Her weight
(d) Her clothing
9. What is the relationship between Lil and Albert?
10. How is the carved dolphin described in a Game of Chess?
11. What negative side effect does Lil experience from the medication?
(a) It weakens her
(b) It ages her
(c) It keeps her from having children
(d) It puts her in pain
12. What do the repeated words to Lil reference?
(a) The changing seasons
(b) Aging and loss of beauty
(c) Being pregnant about to give birth
(d) Last call at the bar
13. In the Burial of the Dead, what is the person with the hyacinths called?
(a) Hyacinth Girl
(b) The Teacher
(d) The Man
14. What repeated word reference Philomel in a Game of Chess?
15. Why does Albert give Lil money?
(a) To buy new shoes
(b) To buy new teeth
(c) To buy new clothes
(d) To buy new hair
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Lil’s youngest child?
2. What meal does Lil make when she invites the narrator to diner?
3. Who give Lil the medication?
4. What is Madame Sosostris’ occupation?
5. What color is the fog in the Unreal City?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)