|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is buried in the first section of the Burial of the Dead?
(a) Jewish refugees
2. What does the narrator call Lil because she is ambivalent about her marriage?
(a) A fool
(b) All of the above
(c) A heathen
(d) A whore
3. What does the rich woman wait for at the end of her section in a Game of Chess?
(a) A knock on the door
(b) The clock to chime
(c) The war to end
(d) Her lover to die
4. What color is the fog in the Unreal City?
5. What do the repeated words to Lil reference?
(a) Last call at the bar
(b) Being pregnant about to give birth
(c) The changing seasons
(d) Aging and loss of beauty
6. To what does the poet compare the chair in section II of a Game of Chess?
(a) A gallows
(b) A stock
(c) A throne
(d) A vault
7. In the Burial of the Dead, what do hyacinths symbolize?
8. What does the poet say summer does to us?
(a) Leaves us
(b) Encourages us
(c) Surprises us
(d) Baths us
9. What is Albert’s occupation?
10. What gem is used to describe someone’s eye in a Game of Chess?
11. How old is Lil?
12. In the Burial of the Dead, what is the person with the hyacinths called?
(a) Hyacinth Girl
(c) The Teacher
(d) The Man
13. What insult is given at the end of the Burial of the Dead?
14. Where does the narrator spend his summers?
(a) The Sternbergersee
(b) The Maldahasee
(c) The Tatnoogeese
(d) The Gerbertensee
15. In a Game of Chess, how does the rich woman threaten to walk down the street?
(a) With other men
(b) In servants dress
(c) With her hair down
Short Answer Questions
1. Who give Lil the medication?
2. What is the feeling of the first section of the Burial of the Dead?
3. In a Game of Chess, what does the rich woman end up doing with her lover?
4. In a Game of Chess, what type of perfume does the rich woman own?
5. In a Game of Chess, what time does the hot water come for the rich woman?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)