|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the relationship between Lil and Albert?
2. Why does Lil take the medication?
(a) She is in a lot of pain
(b) She wants to end a pregnancy
(c) She is bleeding a lot
(d) She wants to lose weight
3. What revives the dull roots in the Burial of the Dead?
(a) Fresh air
(b) Good soil
(d) Spring rain
4. Whom does the narrator know in the Unreal City?
5. What does the poet say keeps us warm in the winter?
6. In the Burial of the Dead, what author does the poet mirror in his first lines?
7. From where does the narrator know someone in the Unreal City?
(a) A battle
(b) A congregation
(c) A journey
(d) A class
8. What meal does Lil make when she invites the narrator to diner?
(a) Hot Gammon
(b) Rack of lamb
(c) Fish and Chips
(d) Kidney Pie
9. How many years is Albert away before returning to Lil in a Game of Chess?
10. Why doesn’t Lil have any more children than she does now?
(a) She is too old
(b) Her husband has been gone
(c) Her husband is injured
(d) She aborts her pregnancies
11. In a Game of Chess, what time does the hot water come for the rich woman?
12. What casts a glitter in the room at the beginning in a Game of Chess?
13. Why is Albert away from Lil?
(a) He is making his fortune
(b) He is in the Army
(c) He is in prison
(d) He is helping his dying mother
14. Of what does the narrator tell Lil she should be ashamed?
(a) Hiding money
(b) Aborting a child
(c) Fearing her husband
(d) Looking so old
15. What time is important in the Unreal City?
(a) The strike of 7
(b) The strike of 12
(c) The strike of 9
(d) The strike of 8
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Burial of the Dead, why are German phrases added to the poem?
2. In the Burial of the Dead, what is drunk at Hofgarten?
3. What words are repeated to Lil in a Game of Chess?
4. What repeated word reference Philomel in a Game of Chess?
5. What war ends shortly before the publication of the Burial of the Dead?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)