I. The Burial of the Dead
1. According to this poet, what is the cruelest month?
2. What does the cruelest month breed?
3. What does the cruelest month mix together?
(a) Memory and Desire
(b) Beauty and Hatred
(c) The Past and the Future
(d) Love and Death
4. What does the poet say keeps us warm in the winter?
5. What does the poet say summer does to us?
(a) Surprises us
(b) Leaves us
(c) Encourages us
(d) Baths us
6. Where does the narrator spend his summers?
(a) The Maldahasee
(b) The Sternbergersee
(c) The Tatnoogeese
(d) The Gerbertensee
7. In the Burial of the Dead, what is drunk at Hofgarten?
8. In the Burial of the Dead, why are German phrases added to the poem?
(a) To paint a vivid picture
(b) To fit the rhyme scheme
(c) To symbolize the war
(d) To confuse the reader
9. In the Burial of the Dead, what frightens Marie?
(b) A mountain
(c) A bear
(d) The snow
This section contains 3,571 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)