|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Sacrifice Poles," what does Frank tell Eric to avoid on his way home?
2. How does Frank get to and from town?
3. Why was Old Saul upset when Agnes returned?
4. Where does Eric escape from in "The Sacrifice Poles"?
5. Why is Eric angry about the dog in the phone booth with him when he calls Frank?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Frank feel about his father's legs and their injury?
2. What happens when Frank fights with the rabbit in "The Snake Park"?
3. Why does Frank want his father's cordite?
4. How does Frank try to contact Eric?
5. How does Frank describe his decision to kill Esmeralda?
6. How does Frank's father feel about Frank's drinking?
7. What does Angus do when he measures items around the house?
8. How does Frank feel about his mother, Agnes?
9. In "In the Bunker," what does Frank say about women and the sea?
10. How does Frank wish Esmeralda died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is revenge a theme in this novel? What role does revenge have in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What is the author's commentary on gender roles? How does the author use Frank to deliver this message? Give examples to help support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the use of at least three literary devices in this novel. What is the effect of these? Are the devices effective? Why or why not? Give examples of each literary device in the novel.
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)