|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Kin hunting for at the beginning of the book?
2. Where does Samuel Maverick live?
3. What does Kin add to a soup they make using venison when he and Yance camp with the girls in the forest?
4. What direction does Yance decide he and Kin should go in the morning after the girls have escaped their captors?
5. What did Yance set outside Temperance's family home and then he disappeared and laid low?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Henry become the servant of a ship's captain?
2. What does Diana think of Kin when she first meets him?
3. How does Kin describe the path he watches while he hunts?
4. When Yance is in the stocks, what does a sailor tell him about Pittingel?
5. Why did the northern settlers put Yance in the stocks and how did he get free?
6. Why does Kin believe that something is on the trail he watches while he hunts?
7. Why is Reverend Blaxton considered to be eccentric?
8. How did Henry learn to speak English?
9. How does Yance describe Diana Macklin?
10. What does Diana tell Kin about Samuel Maverick?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how dialogue is used in the novel to reveal information about characters and to advance plot.
Essay Topic 2
Kin discusses the importance of reading, thinking and learning. Discuss Kin's education and what education means to Kin.
Essay Topic 3
Kin writes letters to Peter Tallis and his brother Brian to establish a claim to the land he and the others have settled. Discuss land claims in America and why Kin and the other settlers need to secure their claims.
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)