|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the girls and the Sacketts stop to pick after camping overnight?
2. What language does Henry, a slave, usually speak?
3. What color horse does Yance ride?
4. Who killed Kin's father?
5. Which of the men who are guarding Diana and Carrie wears a stocking cap with a tassel.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Diana make some of the men guarding her and Carrie leary of her?
2. What does Diana think of Kin when she first meets him?
3. Why does Yance say that he and Kin will be alone looking for the kidnapped girls?
4. What does Diana tell Kin about Samuel Maverick?
5. How did Henry become the servant of a ship's captain?
6. When Yance is in the stocks, what does a sailor tell him about Pittingel?
7. Why were the northern settlers not hunters?
8. Why is Kin cautious about helping the Indian he sees coming up the path?
9. How do Kin and Yance know that the girls have escaped their captors?
10. Why does Kin decide he will go to the West Indies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how dialogue is used in the novel to reveal information about characters and to advance plot.
Essay Topic 2
Kin learns about the girls' disappearance and that it is thought Indians took them. Discuss the theories about the girls' disappearance.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Adele Legare and her character qualities.
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)