|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first charm Jack conjures to protect himself from Ellen?
2. In Chapter 15, what does Jack feel is an appropriate name for the mountain Hastings is forcing him to climb?
3. How does the weather change after D'Orsay writes in the Rules of Engagement?
4. What place does Dr. Longbranch suggest for Jack to visit?
5. Whom does Fitch see outside of a Christmas shop, apparently hunting for someone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What habit have Hastings and Becka gotten into since Jack's recovery? How does Jack feel about Becka's continuing presence?
2. What theory does Fitch tell Linda about Susannah's death?
3. Who breaks into Hastings house while Becka and Hastings are out one evening? What does this person want from Jack?
4. What happens when Jack breaks his ankle and refuses to fight any more? What do the judges threaten to do?
5. For what trip is Jack packing at the end of Chapter 11? What does he pack?
6. For what reason does Linda tell Jack that Hastings wants to make Jack fight in the Games?
7. What does Jack learn about Hastings' previous relationship with Linda? What does Hastings say about the women in Jack's family?
8. What does Hastings admit to Jack in Cumbria? How does Jack feel about this admission?
9. What is Raven's Ghyll? Why has Hastings decided to take Jack there through the back way?
10. Why does Linda file a grievance to stop Jack from participating in the Games? Who else files a grievance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Jack's relationship with Ellen? Why do Ellen and Leesha have a confrontation? Why does Jack agree to walk Ellen home during Leesha's party? How does Jack feel about Ellen? Why does Jack end up having a fight with Garret? How did this come about? How did it end? What does Jack's relationship with Ellen suggest about his personality? What does it say about his position in relation to the Roses and the Games?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following objects in an essay, discussing the importance of the object and its magical properties:
3) Magic Mirror
4) Mercedes' vest.
Essay Topic 3
Who is Lee? What does his father do for a living? What does Lee come home to find? Who is Carrie? Why does Lee believe the Roses did not hurt Carrie? Why does Carrie say it would be better if she left? Who does Carrie say the Roses are looking for? What is Lee? Why does this make him safer than Carrie? What has happened to Lee and Carrie's mother? What does Carrie instruct Lee to do for their mother? Who is waiting for Lee when he begins to leave Carrie's hiding place? Why does the leader say they killed Lee's father? What is the name of the warrior who hurts Lee? What does Lee swear to be rather than the bear he had been to that point? Who does the reader later learn Lee to be in the plot of the novel?
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)