|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What proof does Linda offer for the surgery that left Jack with a warrior's stone rather than a wizard's stone?
2. Who accuses Hastings of using charms to influence the outcome of the games?
3. What is the destination of the train Will and Fitch are waiting for?
4. According to Linda, who was born a warrior in Hastings family?
5. What does Hastings say is the reward of winning the Games?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the Red Rose warrior? Why does Jack tell Hastings he will not be able to kill this warrior?
2. Who is the first to put forth a warrior in the ceremony to register the warriors? Who does not have a warrior? Why not?
3. What happens to Jack as he and Linda attempt to find sanctuary in a small church near Westminster Abbey? Who does Linda say Jack needs to heal him?
4. What happens when Jack breaks his ankle and refuses to fight any more? What do the judges threaten to do?
5. Why does Jack stop during a training bout to talk with Jeremiah? What doe he learn?
6. What theory does Fitch tell Linda about Susannah's death?
7. For what reason does Linda tell Jack that Hastings wants to make Jack fight in the Games?
8. Who helps save Jack's life in Chapter 11? How?
9. Who is ministering Jack when he wakes in Cumbria? How did she get there?
10. What habit have Hastings and Becka gotten into since Jack's recovery? How does Jack feel about Becka's continuing presence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Becka tell Jack that she is going to Oxford, England during the summer? How does Jack feel about this news? What reason does Linda give for wanting to go to Coalton County? Why does Linda want Jack to go with her? Who else does Linda agree to take? What relative's grave does Linda take Jack to? What special skill does Linda tell Jack that this relative had? What kind of weapon does Finch believe the man on the stairs at the courthouse had? Why does Jack laugh at him? Later, what kind of weapon does Jack take from his relative's grave? What is special about this weapon? Why does Jack need this weapon?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Jack visit with Dr. Longbranch when he first arrives in England? What spell does Dr. Longbranch attempt to cast over Jack? How does this spell fail? What does Dr. Longbranch say she wants Jack to do in the Games? What does Dr. Longbranch suggest they might do with Jack if he survives the Games? How does Jack and Linda escape from Dr. Longbranch? Who tries to kill Linda on the streets? Where do Jack and Linda go for refuge? Who finally comes and rescues Jack? Why does Linda agree to tell everyone Jack is dead?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Ellen move in with Will and his family? What does everyone think happened to Ellen's parents? What happens in the relationship between Ellen and Jack after the Games? What happens in the relationship between Linda and Hastings after the Games? How is this a change? What is the relationship with Hastings and Becka like? What does Jack come to realize is happening to Becka the more time she spends with Hastings? How does Jack's relationship with Nick change after the Games? What do Ellen and Jack often sneak off to do even though they no longer need to train as warriors? Why?
This section contains 1,123 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)