|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What woman accompanies Susannah to Raven's Ghyll after the dragon awakens?
2. What do voices say in Jack's mind as he approaches the grounds where the Games are played?
3. Linda tells Jack that members of the family in America began marrying what type of people, perhaps leading to him being born without a stone?
4. What does Hastings claim he does with Susannah's warrior stone?
5. What is the shape of Jack's scar from the surgery he underwent as an infant?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the first to put forth a warrior in the ceremony to register the warriors? Who does not have a warrior? Why not?
2. How does Jack use magic to keep from hurting Ellen during the first part of the Games? How does this force a change in the rules?
3. Who is ministering Jack when he wakes in Cumbria? How did she get there?
4. What does Jack learn about Hastings' previous relationship with Linda? What does Hastings say about the women in Jack's family?
5. What threat does Hastings make against Jack's mother to demonstrate what might happen if he refuses to play in the Games?
6. What charm does Dr. Longbranch cast on Jack? How does he escape it?
7. Who helps save Jack's life in Chapter 11? How?
8. What is Raven's Ghyll? Why has Hastings decided to take Jack there through the back way?
9. Who is the Red Rose warrior? Why does Jack tell Hastings he will not be able to kill this warrior?
10. Why does Jack stop during a training bout to talk with Jeremiah? What doe he learn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What happens during the Games? Why does Jack use magic during the Games? Why is Hastings blamed for the first spell Jack uses? How do the judges come to realize that Jack is creating the spells? What do the judges do to prevent Jack from using any more spells? How does Ellen manage to get the better of Jack during the Games? What does Ellen do instead of killing Jack? Why does Ellen refuse to kill Jack? What do the judges say the consequences of Ellen and Jack's actions will be?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following in an essay:
4) Point of View.
Essay Topic 3
Who is Dr. Longbranch? Why does she believe that she should own Jack? Why does Dr. Longbranch want Jack to fight for the White Rose? In what way does Dr. Longbranch discuss Jack as though he were a prized dog rather than a person? Why does Dr. Longbranch become upset when she learns that Hastings plans to have Jack fight for him as an independent? Why does Dr. Longbranch file suit, claiming that Jack belongs to her? Who else files suit to stop Jack from fighting in the Games? What is the result of these law suits?
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)