|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What emblem appears on Jack's tunic for the Games?
2. What woman accompanies Susannah to Raven's Ghyll after the dragon awakens?
3. Why does Linda claim that Jack's status as a warrior should be overruled?
4. What new weapon has Jack added to his arsenal since taking the memories of Jeremiah Brooks?
5. Who explains the rules of the Games to Jack and Ellen before the Games begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the Red Rose warrior? Why does Jack tell Hastings he will not be able to kill this warrior?
2. What do Jack and Ellen learn will happen to a player who forfeits during the Games? What is said about the use of magic by sponsors, spectators, or wagerers?
3. How does Jack use magic to keep from hurting Ellen during the first part of the Games? How does this force a change in the rules?
4. What charm does Dr. Longbranch cast on Jack? How does he escape it?
5. How does Jack manage to sneak into Ellen's room to speak to her the night before the Games? What is said?
6. What does Hastings tell Jack will happen if the Rules of Engagement are ever broken? What does this have to do with the origin of the Weir stones?
7. What happens to Jack as he and Linda attempt to find sanctuary in a small church near Westminster Abbey? Who does Linda say Jack needs to heal him?
8. Who breaks into Hastings house while Becka and Hastings are out one evening? What does this person want from Jack?
9. Who is the first to put forth a warrior in the ceremony to register the warriors? Who does not have a warrior? Why not?
10. Why does Jack stop during a training bout to talk with Jeremiah? What doe he learn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What happens during the Games? Why does Jack use magic during the Games? Why is Hastings blamed for the first spell Jack uses? How do the judges come to realize that Jack is creating the spells? What do the judges do to prevent Jack from using any more spells? How does Ellen manage to get the better of Jack during the Games? What does Ellen do instead of killing Jack? Why does Ellen refuse to kill Jack? What do the judges say the consequences of Ellen and Jack's actions will be?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Jack visit with Dr. Longbranch when he first arrives in England? What spell does Dr. Longbranch attempt to cast over Jack? How does this spell fail? What does Dr. Longbranch say she wants Jack to do in the Games? What does Dr. Longbranch suggest they might do with Jack if he survives the Games? How does Jack and Linda escape from Dr. Longbranch? Who tries to kill Linda on the streets? Where do Jack and Linda go for refuge? Who finally comes and rescues Jack? Why does Linda agree to tell everyone Jack is dead?
Essay Topic 3
What happens when Linda and Hastings prevent the judges from killing Jack and Ellen at the end of the Games? Who invades the arena and begins to kill some of the judges? Who else appears? What does this person say the judges have awakened with their unfair games? What rule changes are made as a result of Ellen and Jack's tournament? What is Trinity to become for the guilds? Do these new rules solve the problems Leander Hastings was attempting to fix by having Jack fight?
This section contains 1,167 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)