|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hastings claim he does with Susannah's warrior stone?
2. What is the shape of Jack's scar from the surgery he underwent as an infant?
3. In Chapter 15, what does Jack feel is an appropriate name for the mountain Hastings is forcing him to climb?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 16, why do people continuously knock on Jack's door?
5. In Chapter 12, who has a champion that it plans on putting forward for a tournament on Midsummer's Day?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the amusement park, Ellen pretends to throw a slushy on Jack, but misses and hits the water. What happens next? Why did Ellen do this?
2. Where does Longbranch want Jack to fight? What excuse does Longbranch come up with to hide Jack's death in the fight?
3. Who breaks into Hastings house while Becka and Hastings are out one evening? What does this person want from Jack?
4. For what trip is Jack packing at the end of Chapter 11? What does he pack?
5. Why does Linda file a grievance to stop Jack from participating in the Games? Who else files a grievance?
6. What do Jack and Ellen learn will happen to a player who forfeits during the Games? What is said about the use of magic by sponsors, spectators, or wagerers?
7. How does Jack manage to sneak into Ellen's room to speak to her the night before the Games? What is said?
8. Who helps save Jack's life in Chapter 11? How?
9. What threat does Hastings make against Jack's mother to demonstrate what might happen if he refuses to play in the Games?
10. What charm does Dr. Longbranch cast on Jack? How does he escape it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Lee? What does his father do for a living? What does Lee come home to find? Who is Carrie? Why does Lee believe the Roses did not hurt Carrie? Why does Carrie say it would be better if she left? Who does Carrie say the Roses are looking for? What is Lee? Why does this make him safer than Carrie? What has happened to Lee and Carrie's mother? What does Carrie instruct Lee to do for their mother? Who is waiting for Lee when he begins to leave Carrie's hiding place? Why does the leader say they killed Lee's father? What is the name of the warrior who hurts Lee? What does Lee swear to be rather than the bear he had been to that point? Who does the reader later learn Lee to be in the plot of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following in an essay:
4) Point of View.
Essay Topic 3
Who is Dr. Longbranch? Why does she believe that she should own Jack? Why does Dr. Longbranch want Jack to fight for the White Rose? In what way does Dr. Longbranch discuss Jack as though he were a prized dog rather than a person? Why does Dr. Longbranch become upset when she learns that Hastings plans to have Jack fight for him as an independent? Why does Dr. Longbranch file suit, claiming that Jack belongs to her? Who else files suit to stop Jack from fighting in the Games? What is the result of these law suits?
This section contains 1,142 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)