|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who makes up most of the spectators at the Games as far as Jack can tell in Chapter 15?
2. Who accuses Hastings of using charms to influence the outcome of the games?
3. What structure does Fitch want to visit rather than eat lunch with Will?
4. According to Hastings, whom was he not allowed to train in Susannah's family?
5. What do voices say in Jack's mind as he approaches the grounds where the Games are played?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hastings admit to Jack in Cumbria? How does Jack feel about this admission?
2. Why does Jack stop during a training bout to talk with Jeremiah? What doe he learn?
3. What threat does Hastings make against Jack's mother to demonstrate what might happen if he refuses to play in the Games?
4. Who is ministering Jack when he wakes in Cumbria? How did she get there?
5. What happens to Jack as he and Linda attempt to find sanctuary in a small church near Westminster Abbey? Who does Linda say Jack needs to heal him?
6. How does Jack manage to sneak into Ellen's room to speak to her the night before the Games? What is said?
7. At the amusement park, Ellen pretends to throw a slushy on Jack, but misses and hits the water. What happens next? Why did Ellen do this?
8. Who is the Red Rose warrior? Why does Jack tell Hastings he will not be able to kill this warrior?
9. Why does Linda file a grievance to stop Jack from participating in the Games? Who else files a grievance?
10. For what reason does Linda tell Jack that Hastings wants to make Jack fight in the Games?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Jack visit with Dr. Longbranch when he first arrives in England? What spell does Dr. Longbranch attempt to cast over Jack? How does this spell fail? What does Dr. Longbranch say she wants Jack to do in the Games? What does Dr. Longbranch suggest they might do with Jack if he survives the Games? How does Jack and Linda escape from Dr. Longbranch? Who tries to kill Linda on the streets? Where do Jack and Linda go for refuge? Who finally comes and rescues Jack? Why does Linda agree to tell everyone Jack is dead?
Essay Topic 2
What happens during the Games? Why does Jack use magic during the Games? Why is Hastings blamed for the first spell Jack uses? How do the judges come to realize that Jack is creating the spells? What do the judges do to prevent Jack from using any more spells? How does Ellen manage to get the better of Jack during the Games? What does Ellen do instead of killing Jack? Why does Ellen refuse to kill Jack? What do the judges say the consequences of Ellen and Jack's actions will be?
Essay Topic 3
How does Jack discover that someone has tried to poison him? Why would someone want to kill Jack? Why do two wizards come to Jack's school the following day and try to take him off campus? Who does Jack ask for help? How does Jack delay leaving the school with these men? Who arrives and begs them to take her instead of Jack? Who finally manages to stop the two men attempting to kidnap Jack? How does he do this?
This section contains 1,158 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)