|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Linda interrogate Jack about after his return from the amusement park?
2. What proof does Linda offer for the surgery that left Jack with a warrior's stone rather than a wizard's stone?
3. Why does Linda claim that Jack's status as a warrior should be overruled?
4. Where was the last Games held?
5. What does Hastings hope will happen before Linda finds out Jack is playing in the Games?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what trip is Jack packing at the end of Chapter 11? What does he pack?
2. What threat does Hastings make against Jack's mother to demonstrate what might happen if he refuses to play in the Games?
3. Why does Linda file a grievance to stop Jack from participating in the Games? Who else files a grievance?
4. Why is Jack called out of class in Chapter 11? What does Jack believe is happening?
5. How does Jack manage to sneak into Ellen's room to speak to her the night before the Games? What is said?
6. Why does Susannah claim the dragon has awakened? What is the result of this?
7. What does Hastings admit to Jack in Cumbria? How does Jack feel about this admission?
8. Who is the first to put forth a warrior in the ceremony to register the warriors? Who does not have a warrior? Why not?
9. What happens when Jack breaks his ankle and refuses to fight any more? What do the judges threaten to do?
10. Who objects to Jack's participation in the Games? For what reason?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Jack discover that someone has tried to poison him? Why would someone want to kill Jack? Why do two wizards come to Jack's school the following day and try to take him off campus? Who does Jack ask for help? How does Jack delay leaving the school with these men? Who arrives and begs them to take her instead of Jack? Who finally manages to stop the two men attempting to kidnap Jack? How does he do this?
Essay Topic 2
What is Jack's relationship with Ellen? Why do Ellen and Leesha have a confrontation? Why does Jack agree to walk Ellen home during Leesha's party? How does Jack feel about Ellen? Why does Jack end up having a fight with Garret? How did this come about? How did it end? What does Jack's relationship with Ellen suggest about his personality? What does it say about his position in relation to the Roses and the Games?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Lee? What does his father do for a living? What does Lee come home to find? Who is Carrie? Why does Lee believe the Roses did not hurt Carrie? Why does Carrie say it would be better if she left? Who does Carrie say the Roses are looking for? What is Lee? Why does this make him safer than Carrie? What has happened to Lee and Carrie's mother? What does Carrie instruct Lee to do for their mother? Who is waiting for Lee when he begins to leave Carrie's hiding place? Why does the leader say they killed Lee's father? What is the name of the warrior who hurts Lee? What does Lee swear to be rather than the bear he had been to that point? Who does the reader later learn Lee to be in the plot of the novel?
This section contains 1,156 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)