|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the last Games held?
2. What does Linda tell Jack that the branch of the family began using as their emblem rather than the Red or White Rose?
3. What woman accompanies Susannah to Raven's Ghyll after the dragon awakens?
4. According to Linda, who was born a warrior in Hastings family?
5. Who surrounds Jack in the moments before the Games are to begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jack manage to sneak into Ellen's room to speak to her the night before the Games? What is said?
2. What do Jack and Ellen learn will happen to a player who forfeits during the Games? What is said about the use of magic by sponsors, spectators, or wagerers?
3. How did Will and Fitch end up at Raven's Ghyll? For what purpose?
4. What happens to Jack as he and Linda attempt to find sanctuary in a small church near Westminster Abbey? Who does Linda say Jack needs to heal him?
5. At the amusement park, Ellen pretends to throw a slushy on Jack, but misses and hits the water. What happens next? Why did Ellen do this?
6. What does Hastings tell Jack will happen if the Rules of Engagement are ever broken? What does this have to do with the origin of the Weir stones?
7. Why does Linda file a grievance to stop Jack from participating in the Games? Who else files a grievance?
8. What habit have Hastings and Becka gotten into since Jack's recovery? How does Jack feel about Becka's continuing presence?
9. Why does Jack stop during a training bout to talk with Jeremiah? What doe he learn?
10. For what reason does Linda tell Jack that Hastings wants to make Jack fight in the Games?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the structure of the novel. How is the novel structured? How many narrators are there? Why does the author begin with Lee's story? What is the impact of Lee's story on the reader as the reader learns more and more about the characters in the novel? How does the author build tension in the novel? What is the purpose of the tension in this novel? How does the author use language in this novel? Is the language appropriate to the characters and the plot? How does the author use metaphor and other language devices to tell her story? Does the author develop her themes well? Can you identify some of the themes in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Lee? What does his father do for a living? What does Lee come home to find? Who is Carrie? Why does Lee believe the Roses did not hurt Carrie? Why does Carrie say it would be better if she left? Who does Carrie say the Roses are looking for? What is Lee? Why does this make him safer than Carrie? What has happened to Lee and Carrie's mother? What does Carrie instruct Lee to do for their mother? Who is waiting for Lee when he begins to leave Carrie's hiding place? Why does the leader say they killed Lee's father? What is the name of the warrior who hurts Lee? What does Lee swear to be rather than the bear he had been to that point? Who does the reader later learn Lee to be in the plot of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What is Jack's relationship with Ellen? Why do Ellen and Leesha have a confrontation? Why does Jack agree to walk Ellen home during Leesha's party? How does Jack feel about Ellen? Why does Jack end up having a fight with Garret? How did this come about? How did it end? What does Jack's relationship with Ellen suggest about his personality? What does it say about his position in relation to the Roses and the Games?
This section contains 1,276 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)