|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 16, why do people continuously knock on Jack's door?
2. What structure exists in Raven's Ghyll?
3. Whom does Linda interrogate Jack about after his return from the amusement park?
4. According to Linda, who was born a warrior in Hastings family?
5. What does Hastings say is the reward of winning the Games?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Linda file a grievance to stop Jack from participating in the Games? Who else files a grievance?
2. At the amusement park, Ellen pretends to throw a slushy on Jack, but misses and hits the water. What happens next? Why did Ellen do this?
3. What is Raven's Ghyll? Why has Hastings decided to take Jack there through the back way?
4. What happens to Jack as he and Linda attempt to find sanctuary in a small church near Westminster Abbey? Who does Linda say Jack needs to heal him?
5. What do Jack and Ellen learn will happen to a player who forfeits during the Games? What is said about the use of magic by sponsors, spectators, or wagerers?
6. What does Hastings tell Jack will happen if the Rules of Engagement are ever broken? What does this have to do with the origin of the Weir stones?
7. Why is Jack called out of class in Chapter 11? What does Jack believe is happening?
8. What habit have Hastings and Becka gotten into since Jack's recovery? How does Jack feel about Becka's continuing presence?
9. How does Jack manage to sneak into Ellen's room to speak to her the night before the Games? What is said?
10. What charm does Dr. Longbranch cast on Jack? How does he escape it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following relationships in detail:
1) Hastings and Becka
2) Linda and Becka
3) Longbranch and Jack
4) Jack and Hastings.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Ellen move in with Will and his family? What does everyone think happened to Ellen's parents? What happens in the relationship between Ellen and Jack after the Games? What happens in the relationship between Linda and Hastings after the Games? How is this a change? What is the relationship with Hastings and Becka like? What does Jack come to realize is happening to Becka the more time she spends with Hastings? How does Jack's relationship with Nick change after the Games? What do Ellen and Jack often sneak off to do even though they no longer need to train as warriors? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Dr. Longbranch? Why does she believe that she should own Jack? Why does Dr. Longbranch want Jack to fight for the White Rose? In what way does Dr. Longbranch discuss Jack as though he were a prized dog rather than a person? Why does Dr. Longbranch become upset when she learns that Hastings plans to have Jack fight for him as an independent? Why does Dr. Longbranch file suit, claiming that Jack belongs to her? Who else files suit to stop Jack from fighting in the Games? What is the result of these law suits?
This section contains 1,149 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)