|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the weather change after D'Orsay writes in the Rules of Engagement?
2. What new fighting skills does Jack have after Hastings bonds his memories with Jeremiah's?
3. What does Simon Paige say to Jack before the hearing on the grievances against Jack?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 16, why do people continuously knock on Jack's door?
5. Who makes up most of the spectators at the Games as far as Jack can tell in Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jack learn about Hastings' previous relationship with Linda? What does Hastings say about the women in Jack's family?
2. What theory does Fitch tell Linda about Susannah's death?
3. What does Hastings admit to Jack in Cumbria? How does Jack feel about this admission?
4. Why is Jack called out of class in Chapter 11? What does Jack believe is happening?
5. What habit have Hastings and Becka gotten into since Jack's recovery? How does Jack feel about Becka's continuing presence?
6. How does Jack use magic to keep from hurting Ellen during the first part of the Games? How does this force a change in the rules?
7. Who is ministering Jack when he wakes in Cumbria? How did she get there?
8. Where does Longbranch want Jack to fight? What excuse does Longbranch come up with to hide Jack's death in the fight?
9. What threat does Hastings make against Jack's mother to demonstrate what might happen if he refuses to play in the Games?
10. Why does Susannah claim the dragon has awakened? What is the result of this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is kidnapped in England and taken to the site of the Games in order to persuade Jack to fight for a different team? How does Jack react to this kidnapping? How does Hastings secure the lives of those kidnapped? Why does Hastings not try harder to send the kidnapped teens home? How do these two kidnapped figures impact Jack in the hours before the Games are to begin? What kind of mental state is Jack in as he prepares for the Games? What are the stakes should Jack win? Should Jack lose? Who will be most affected by Jack's loss?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following in an essay:
4) Point of View.
Essay Topic 3
What happens during the Games? Why does Jack use magic during the Games? Why is Hastings blamed for the first spell Jack uses? How do the judges come to realize that Jack is creating the spells? What do the judges do to prevent Jack from using any more spells? How does Ellen manage to get the better of Jack during the Games? What does Ellen do instead of killing Jack? Why does Ellen refuse to kill Jack? What do the judges say the consequences of Ellen and Jack's actions will be?
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)