|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What woman accompanies Susannah to Raven's Ghyll after the dragon awakens?
2. Why does Dr. Longbranch suggest a story of Jack's death to Linda?
3. According to Hastings, whom was he not allowed to train in Susannah's family?
4. In Chapter 14, what does Jack find comforting about staying in Cumbria?
5. Where was the last Games held?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Will and Fitch end up at Raven's Ghyll? For what purpose?
2. What does Jack learn about Hastings' previous relationship with Linda? What does Hastings say about the women in Jack's family?
3. Who breaks into Hastings house while Becka and Hastings are out one evening? What does this person want from Jack?
4. Why does Jack stop during a training bout to talk with Jeremiah? What doe he learn?
5. What happens when Jack breaks his ankle and refuses to fight any more? What do the judges threaten to do?
6. Who objects to Jack's participation in the Games? For what reason?
7. Who helps save Jack's life in Chapter 11? How?
8. What habit have Hastings and Becka gotten into since Jack's recovery? How does Jack feel about Becka's continuing presence?
9. What does Hastings tell Jack will happen if the Rules of Engagement are ever broken? What does this have to do with the origin of the Weir stones?
10. What happens to Jack as he and Linda attempt to find sanctuary in a small church near Westminster Abbey? Who does Linda say Jack needs to heal him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Jack's opponent in the Games? How does Jack feel when he learns about the identity of this opponent? What does this person tell Jack was her role in Trinity when Jack thought she was just another student at Trinity High School? Why does Jack go to see this opponent the night before the Games? How? Does this meeting serve to help or make matters worse for Jack? What does Jack say to this opponent that makes the reader fear Jack will lose the Games due to his own inability to kill his opponent?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the structure of the novel. How is the novel structured? How many narrators are there? Why does the author begin with Lee's story? What is the impact of Lee's story on the reader as the reader learns more and more about the characters in the novel? How does the author build tension in the novel? What is the purpose of the tension in this novel? How does the author use language in this novel? Is the language appropriate to the characters and the plot? How does the author use metaphor and other language devices to tell her story? Does the author develop her themes well? Can you identify some of the themes in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Who is kidnapped in England and taken to the site of the Games in order to persuade Jack to fight for a different team? How does Jack react to this kidnapping? How does Hastings secure the lives of those kidnapped? Why does Hastings not try harder to send the kidnapped teens home? How do these two kidnapped figures impact Jack in the hours before the Games are to begin? What kind of mental state is Jack in as he prepares for the Games? What are the stakes should Jack win? Should Jack lose? Who will be most affected by Jack's loss?
This section contains 1,118 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)