|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ellen threaten to pour Jack's drink over his head?
2. Whose voice does Jack recall hearing in his delirium while he was injured?
3. In Chapter 13, whom does Jack remember as sitting vigil with him in the church after he was injured?
4. Linda tells Jack that members of the family in America began marrying what type of people, perhaps leading to him being born without a stone?
5. In Chapter 11, who identifies the poison in Jack's drink?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jack learn about Hastings' previous relationship with Linda? What does Hastings say about the women in Jack's family?
2. Why does Jack stop during a training bout to talk with Jeremiah? What doe he learn?
3. How does Jack manage to sneak into Ellen's room to speak to her the night before the Games? What is said?
4. What do Jack and Ellen learn will happen to a player who forfeits during the Games? What is said about the use of magic by sponsors, spectators, or wagerers?
5. What theory does Fitch tell Linda about Susannah's death?
6. What is Raven's Ghyll? Why has Hastings decided to take Jack there through the back way?
7. How does Jack use magic to keep from hurting Ellen during the first part of the Games? How does this force a change in the rules?
8. Who breaks into Hastings house while Becka and Hastings are out one evening? What does this person want from Jack?
9. Who objects to Jack's participation in the Games? For what reason?
10. Why does Linda file a grievance to stop Jack from participating in the Games? Who else files a grievance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What happens during the Games? Why does Jack use magic during the Games? Why is Hastings blamed for the first spell Jack uses? How do the judges come to realize that Jack is creating the spells? What do the judges do to prevent Jack from using any more spells? How does Ellen manage to get the better of Jack during the Games? What does Ellen do instead of killing Jack? Why does Ellen refuse to kill Jack? What do the judges say the consequences of Ellen and Jack's actions will be?
Essay Topic 2
How does Jack discover that someone has tried to poison him? Why would someone want to kill Jack? Why do two wizards come to Jack's school the following day and try to take him off campus? Who does Jack ask for help? How does Jack delay leaving the school with these men? Who arrives and begs them to take her instead of Jack? Who finally manages to stop the two men attempting to kidnap Jack? How does he do this?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Becka tell Jack that she is going to Oxford, England during the summer? How does Jack feel about this news? What reason does Linda give for wanting to go to Coalton County? Why does Linda want Jack to go with her? Who else does Linda agree to take? What relative's grave does Linda take Jack to? What special skill does Linda tell Jack that this relative had? What kind of weapon does Finch believe the man on the stairs at the courthouse had? Why does Jack laugh at him? Later, what kind of weapon does Jack take from his relative's grave? What is special about this weapon? Why does Jack need this weapon?
This section contains 1,153 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)