|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls Ellen a killer and encourages her to kill Jack even after she has declared a truce?
2. What woman accompanies Susannah to Raven's Ghyll after the dragon awakens?
3. Who explains the rules of the Games to Jack and Ellen before the Games begins?
4. What structure does Fitch want to visit rather than eat lunch with Will?
5. Why does Ellen threaten to pour Jack's drink over his head?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Jack and Ellen learn will happen to a player who forfeits during the Games? What is said about the use of magic by sponsors, spectators, or wagerers?
2. Where does Longbranch want Jack to fight? What excuse does Longbranch come up with to hide Jack's death in the fight?
3. Who is ministering Jack when he wakes in Cumbria? How did she get there?
4. How did Will and Fitch end up at Raven's Ghyll? For what purpose?
5. What does Jack learn about Hastings' previous relationship with Linda? What does Hastings say about the women in Jack's family?
6. What threat does Hastings make against Jack's mother to demonstrate what might happen if he refuses to play in the Games?
7. Who breaks into Hastings house while Becka and Hastings are out one evening? What does this person want from Jack?
8. Who is the Red Rose warrior? Why does Jack tell Hastings he will not be able to kill this warrior?
9. What does Hastings admit to Jack in Cumbria? How does Jack feel about this admission?
10. What happens when Jack breaks his ankle and refuses to fight any more? What do the judges threaten to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Becka tell Jack that she is going to Oxford, England during the summer? How does Jack feel about this news? What reason does Linda give for wanting to go to Coalton County? Why does Linda want Jack to go with her? Who else does Linda agree to take? What relative's grave does Linda take Jack to? What special skill does Linda tell Jack that this relative had? What kind of weapon does Finch believe the man on the stairs at the courthouse had? Why does Jack laugh at him? Later, what kind of weapon does Jack take from his relative's grave? What is special about this weapon? Why does Jack need this weapon?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Jack Swift? What was he born without that his aunt arranged for him to have inserted? What kind of stone did Linda think Dr. Longbranch had given Jack? What kind of stone did Dr. Longbranch really give to Jack? Why did Dr. Longbranch give Jack the wrong stone? What does Dr. Longbranch expect to happen when Jack grows up? What title does Dr. Longbranch have with the White Rose? Why does Linda believe this means Dr. Longbranch wants Jack for the White Rose? How does Linda convince Dr. Longbranch to allow Jack's parents to raise him? How does Dr. Longbranch suppress Jack's powers as he grows?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following in an essay:
4) Point of View.
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)