|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are released in the great hall that contain birds, stones, and butterflies?
2. What speculations does Hastings make about the Red Rose's champion?
3. In Chapter 12, how does Jack disable Dr. Longbranch?
4. What does Simon Paige say to Jack before the hearing on the grievances against Jack?
5. What is the Blue Streak?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jack use magic to keep from hurting Ellen during the first part of the Games? How does this force a change in the rules?
2. What charm does Dr. Longbranch cast on Jack? How does he escape it?
3. How did Will and Fitch end up at Raven's Ghyll? For what purpose?
4. What happens to Jack as he and Linda attempt to find sanctuary in a small church near Westminster Abbey? Who does Linda say Jack needs to heal him?
5. Who is the first to put forth a warrior in the ceremony to register the warriors? Who does not have a warrior? Why not?
6. Why does Jack stop during a training bout to talk with Jeremiah? What doe he learn?
7. For what reason does Linda tell Jack that Hastings wants to make Jack fight in the Games?
8. Where does Longbranch want Jack to fight? What excuse does Longbranch come up with to hide Jack's death in the fight?
9. How does Jack manage to sneak into Ellen's room to speak to her the night before the Games? What is said?
10. Who breaks into Hastings house while Becka and Hastings are out one evening? What does this person want from Jack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How old is Jack Swift when the novel begins? Why does Jack forget to take his medication? What does Jack think the medication is for? What happens when Jack tries out for soccer after forgetting his medication? What does Jack attribute this change to? Why is Becka upset with Jack when he returns home after soccer tryouts? What does Becka make Jack take almost immediately after he walks in the door? What does Becka think Jack is taking his medication for? Who plans to come visit Jack, as the reader learns in Chapter 1? What does Jack think of this surprise visit?
Essay Topic 2
How does Jack discover that someone has tried to poison him? Why would someone want to kill Jack? Why do two wizards come to Jack's school the following day and try to take him off campus? Who does Jack ask for help? How does Jack delay leaving the school with these men? Who arrives and begs them to take her instead of Jack? Who finally manages to stop the two men attempting to kidnap Jack? How does he do this?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following objects in an essay, discussing the importance of the object and its magical properties:
3) Magic Mirror
4) Mercedes' vest.
This section contains 1,090 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)