|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nick tell Jack is the main product among agents in the Trade?
2. What object does Mr. Hastings want Jack to move with nothing but his magic?
3. What does Jack consider as Nick's specialty when it comes to school subjects?
4. What does Hastings tell Jack to think of his opponents in the arena he has created?
5. Who comes to Jack's house to walk to school with him in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surgery did Dr. Longbranch perform on Jackson Swift as an infant? For what reason?
2. In Chapter 5, why is Jack surprised by the identity of his new trainer?
3. Who confronts Jack after the championship game? What happens?
4. In Chapter 3, Jack is attacked by a man with a saber, but does not suffer any injury. How is this possible?
5. What happens the first time Hastings sends Jack an opponent in his special arena?
6. In Chapter 2, where does Becka tell Jack she has gotten a fellowship for that summer?
7. How does Linda suggest Dr. Longbranch can keep Jack from developing his powers in order to allow him to live securely and in secret with his parents until he reaches maturity?
8. In Chapter 2, what object does Jack receive from Mercedes? How does Linda encourage him to wear it?
9. In Chapter 7, what is the first thing Hastings wants Jack to learn to do with his powers?
10. What does Lee find when he returns home? What does Lee know about who is responsible for what he finds?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Jack visit with Dr. Longbranch when he first arrives in England? What spell does Dr. Longbranch attempt to cast over Jack? How does this spell fail? What does Dr. Longbranch say she wants Jack to do in the Games? What does Dr. Longbranch suggest they might do with Jack if he survives the Games? How does Jack and Linda escape from Dr. Longbranch? Who tries to kill Linda on the streets? Where do Jack and Linda go for refuge? Who finally comes and rescues Jack? Why does Linda agree to tell everyone Jack is dead?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Becka tell Jack that she is going to Oxford, England during the summer? How does Jack feel about this news? What reason does Linda give for wanting to go to Coalton County? Why does Linda want Jack to go with her? Who else does Linda agree to take? What relative's grave does Linda take Jack to? What special skill does Linda tell Jack that this relative had? What kind of weapon does Finch believe the man on the stairs at the courthouse had? Why does Jack laugh at him? Later, what kind of weapon does Jack take from his relative's grave? What is special about this weapon? Why does Jack need this weapon?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Jack's opponent in the Games? How does Jack feel when he learns about the identity of this opponent? What does this person tell Jack was her role in Trinity when Jack thought she was just another student at Trinity High School? Why does Jack go to see this opponent the night before the Games? How? Does this meeting serve to help or make matters worse for Jack? What does Jack say to this opponent that makes the reader fear Jack will lose the Games due to his own inability to kill his opponent?
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)