|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to Jack's house to walk to school with him in Chapter 1?
2. Why does Will quickly agree to go to Coalton County with Jack and his aunt in Chapter 2?
3. What is the Rules of Engagement?
4. In Chapter 10, what does Jack say he would like to be when he grows up?
5. Where does Jack tell Will and Fitch to run when they are confronted by the wizard at the end of Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jack do when he remembers that he forgot to take his medication?
2. What does Nick give to Jack in Chapter 6? What is the purpose of this item?
3. In Chapter 2, what object does Jack receive from Mercedes? How does Linda encourage him to wear it?
4. Who finally discovers the location of Susannah's grave? Where is it?
5. In Chapter 10, where does Jack learn his friends will be spending the summer? Where does Jack learn Ellen will be over the summer?
6. With whom does Jack get into a confrontation with during soccer tryouts? Why?
7. In Chapter 6, what immediate impact does Jack feel from his new medication?
8. What reason does the leader of the Red Roses give for the murder of Lee's father?
9. What happens the first time Hastings sends Jack an opponent in his special arena?
10. In Chapter 3, whose grave is Linda attempting to find? How old was this person when she died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Dr. Longbranch? Why does she believe that she should own Jack? Why does Dr. Longbranch want Jack to fight for the White Rose? In what way does Dr. Longbranch discuss Jack as though he were a prized dog rather than a person? Why does Dr. Longbranch become upset when she learns that Hastings plans to have Jack fight for him as an independent? Why does Dr. Longbranch file suit, claiming that Jack belongs to her? Who else files suit to stop Jack from fighting in the Games? What is the result of these law suits?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Jack's opponent in the Games? How does Jack feel when he learns about the identity of this opponent? What does this person tell Jack was her role in Trinity when Jack thought she was just another student at Trinity High School? Why does Jack go to see this opponent the night before the Games? How? Does this meeting serve to help or make matters worse for Jack? What does Jack say to this opponent that makes the reader fear Jack will lose the Games due to his own inability to kill his opponent?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Leander Hastings? What role does he play at Jack's school? Why does Linda arrange for Hastings to begin training Jack with the sword? What kind of training do they do? What is unusual about the opponents Leander provides for Jack? How does Jack fair in the beginning of his training? Why does Hastings continually push Jack to do better and better in his training? What makes the reader begin to think that Hastings might have ulterior motives in training Jack? What might these motives be?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)