Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does Lee's story take place?
2. What is Mr. Hastings response when Jack asks if the power he feels when he holds Shadowslayer is coming from the sword or from within himself?
3. Why does Dr. Longbranch want to take baby Jack with her to England in the prologue?
4. What is the cause of death listed for Susannah Downy in the courthouse records found in Chapter 3?
5. Rather than attend a party, Jack decides to walk home with whom in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 3, whose grave is Linda attempting to find? How old was this person when she died?
2. What surgery did Dr. Longbranch perform on Jackson Swift as an infant? For what reason?
3. What does Jack tell Nick about missing his medication? What does Nick say about Jack's reaction?
4. How does Linda suggest Dr. Longbranch can keep Jack from developing his powers in order to allow him to live securely and in secret with his parents until he reaches maturity?
5. What does Jack learn about Hastings' previous relationship with Linda? What does Hastings say about the women in Jack's family?
6. What habit have Hastings and Becka gotten into since Jack's recovery? How does Jack feel about Becka's continuing presence?
7. In Chapter 10, where does Jack learn his friends will be spending the summer? Where does Jack learn Ellen will be over the summer?
8. What does Hastings admit to Jack in Cumbria? How does Jack feel about this admission?
9. With whom does Jack get into a confrontation with during soccer tryouts? Why?
10. What happens to Jack as he and Linda attempt to find sanctuary in a small church near Westminster Abbey? Who does Linda say Jack needs to heal him?
What happens when Linda and Hastings prevent the judges from killing Jack and Ellen at the end of the Games? Who invades the arena and begins to kill some of the judges? Who else appears? What does this person say the judges have awakened with their unfair games? What rule changes are made as a result of Ellen and Jack's tournament? What is Trinity to become for the guilds? Do these new rules solve the problems Leander Hastings was attempting to fix by having Jack fight?
Who is Leander Hastings? What role does he play at Jack's school? Why does Linda arrange for Hastings to begin training Jack with the sword? What kind of training do they do? What is unusual about the opponents Leander provides for Jack? How does Jack fair in the beginning of his training? Why does Hastings continually push Jack to do better and better in his training? What makes the reader begin to think that Hastings might have ulterior motives in training Jack? What might these motives be?
Who is Lee? What does his father do for a living? What does Lee come home to find? Who is Carrie? Why does Lee believe the Roses did not hurt Carrie? Why does Carrie say it would be better if she left? Who does Carrie say the Roses are looking for? What is Lee? Why does this make him safer than Carrie? What has happened to Lee and Carrie's mother? What does Carrie instruct Lee to do for their mother? Who is waiting for Lee when he begins to leave Carrie's hiding place? Why does the leader say they killed Lee's father? What is the name of the warrior who hurts Lee? What does Lee swear to be rather than the bear he had been to that point? Who does the reader later learn Lee to be in the plot of the novel?
This section contains 1,119 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)