Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does Lee's story take place?
2. What is Mr. Hastings response when Jack asks if the power he feels when he holds Shadowslayer is coming from the sword or from within himself?
3. Why does Dr. Longbranch want to take baby Jack with her to England in the prologue?
4. What is the cause of death listed for Susannah Downy in the courthouse records found in Chapter 3?
5. Rather than attend a party, Jack decides to walk home with whom in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 3, whose grave is Linda attempting to find? How old was this person when she died?
2. What surgery did Dr. Longbranch perform on Jackson Swift as an infant? For what reason?
3. What does Jack tell Nick about missing his medication? What does Nick say about Jack's reaction?
4. How does Linda suggest Dr. Longbranch can keep Jack from developing his powers in order to allow him to live securely and in secret with his parents until he reaches maturity?
5. What does Jack learn about Hastings' previous relationship with Linda? What does Hastings say about the women in Jack's family?
6. What habit have Hastings and Becka gotten into since Jack's recovery? How does Jack feel about Becka's continuing presence?
7. In Chapter 10, where does Jack learn his friends will be spending the summer? Where does Jack learn Ellen will be over the summer?
8. What does Hastings admit to Jack in Cumbria? How does Jack feel about this admission?
9. With whom does Jack get into a confrontation with during soccer tryouts? Why?
10. What happens to Jack as he and Linda attempt to find sanctuary in a small church near Westminster Abbey? Who does Linda say Jack needs to heal him?
Essay Topic 1
What happens during the Games? Why does Jack use magic during the Games? Why is Hastings blamed for the first spell Jack uses? How do the judges come to realize that Jack is creating the spells? What do the judges do to prevent Jack from using any more spells? How does Ellen manage to get the better of Jack during the Games? What does Ellen do instead of killing Jack? Why does Ellen refuse to kill Jack? What do the judges say the consequences of Ellen and Jack's actions will be?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the structure of the novel. How is the novel structured? How many narrators are there? Why does the author begin with Lee's story? What is the impact of Lee's story on the reader as the reader learns more and more about the characters in the novel? How does the author build tension in the novel? What is the purpose of the tension in this novel? How does the author use language in this novel? Is the language appropriate to the characters and the plot? How does the author use metaphor and other language devices to tell her story? Does the author develop her themes well? Can you identify some of the themes in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following relationships in an essay:
1) Lee and Carrie
2) Lee and Wylie
3) Linda and Longbranch
4) Jack, Will, and Fitch.
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)