|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Will quickly agree to go to Coalton County with Jack and his aunt in Chapter 2?
2. Who does Linda tell Jack are the most powerful among the weirs?
3. From what point of view is the novel written?
4. What does the newspaper article Jack finds in the library say about the cause of death for Susannah Downy?
5. What do the two strangers steal from the soccer coach at the end of Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 5, why is Jack surprised by the identity of his new trainer?
2. What does Linda tell Jack in Chapter 5 that explains the need for the sword?
3. With whom does Jack get into a confrontation with during soccer tryouts? Why?
4. In Chapter 3, whose grave is Linda attempting to find? How old was this person when she died?
5. How does Linda suggest Dr. Longbranch can keep Jack from developing his powers in order to allow him to live securely and in secret with his parents until he reaches maturity?
6. In Chapter 8, what does Hastings teach Jack about the Games? How does Jack feel about what he is learning?
7. Who helps save Jack's life in Chapter 11? How?
8. For what reason does Linda tell Jack that Hastings wants to make Jack fight in the Games?
9. Why does Jack forget to take his medication on the morning of the soccer tryouts?
10. In Chapter 9, how does Hastings create an arena for Jack to fight in? What is special about this arena?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Dr. Longbranch? Why does she believe that she should own Jack? Why does Dr. Longbranch want Jack to fight for the White Rose? In what way does Dr. Longbranch discuss Jack as though he were a prized dog rather than a person? Why does Dr. Longbranch become upset when she learns that Hastings plans to have Jack fight for him as an independent? Why does Dr. Longbranch file suit, claiming that Jack belongs to her? Who else files suit to stop Jack from fighting in the Games? What is the result of these law suits?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Leander Hastings? What role does he play at Jack's school? Why does Linda arrange for Hastings to begin training Jack with the sword? What kind of training do they do? What is unusual about the opponents Leander provides for Jack? How does Jack fair in the beginning of his training? Why does Hastings continually push Jack to do better and better in his training? What makes the reader begin to think that Hastings might have ulterior motives in training Jack? What might these motives be?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the structure of the novel. How is the novel structured? How many narrators are there? Why does the author begin with Lee's story? What is the impact of Lee's story on the reader as the reader learns more and more about the characters in the novel? How does the author build tension in the novel? What is the purpose of the tension in this novel? How does the author use language in this novel? Is the language appropriate to the characters and the plot? How does the author use metaphor and other language devices to tell her story? Does the author develop her themes well? Can you identify some of the themes in the novel?
This section contains 2,501 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)