|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Linda gain entrance into the courthouse in Coal Grove?
2. Linda tells everyone her job is _______________.
3. Why does Linda want to go to Coalton County in Chapter 2?
4. What object does Mr. Hastings want Jack to move with nothing but his magic?
5. What does Mr. Hastings tell Jack is the first step to controlling his powers?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 3, whose grave is Linda attempting to find? How old was this person when she died?
2. What voices does Jack hear at Susannah's grave? What do they say? Why does he hear them?
3. What reason does the leader of the Red Roses give for the murder of Lee's father?
4. What surgery did Dr. Longbranch perform on Jackson Swift as an infant? For what reason?
5. What does Lee find when he returns home? What does Lee know about who is responsible for what he finds?
6. What happens the first time Hastings sends Jack an opponent in his special arena?
7. How does Linda suggest Dr. Longbranch can keep Jack from developing his powers in order to allow him to live securely and in secret with his parents until he reaches maturity?
8. Who finally discovers the location of Susannah's grave? Where is it?
9. What does Jack do when he remembers that he forgot to take his medication?
10. What does Nick give to Jack in Chapter 6? What is the purpose of this item?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following objects in an essay, discussing the importance of the object and its magical properties:
3) Magic Mirror
4) Mercedes' vest.
Essay Topic 2
Who is kidnapped in England and taken to the site of the Games in order to persuade Jack to fight for a different team? How does Jack react to this kidnapping? How does Hastings secure the lives of those kidnapped? Why does Hastings not try harder to send the kidnapped teens home? How do these two kidnapped figures impact Jack in the hours before the Games are to begin? What kind of mental state is Jack in as he prepares for the Games? What are the stakes should Jack win? Should Jack lose? Who will be most affected by Jack's loss?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the structure of the novel. How is the novel structured? How many narrators are there? Why does the author begin with Lee's story? What is the impact of Lee's story on the reader as the reader learns more and more about the characters in the novel? How does the author build tension in the novel? What is the purpose of the tension in this novel? How does the author use language in this novel? Is the language appropriate to the characters and the plot? How does the author use metaphor and other language devices to tell her story? Does the author develop her themes well? Can you identify some of the themes in the novel?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)