|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does Lee's story take place?
2. What is Mr. Hastings response when Jack asks if the power he feels when he holds Shadowslayer is coming from the sword or from within himself?
3. Why does Dr. Longbranch want to take baby Jack with her to England in the prologue?
4. What is the cause of death listed for Susannah Downy in the courthouse records found in Chapter 3?
5. Rather than attend a party, Jack decides to walk home with whom in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 3, whose grave is Linda attempting to find? How old was this person when she died?
2. What surgery did Dr. Longbranch perform on Jackson Swift as an infant? For what reason?
3. What does Jack tell Nick about missing his medication? What does Nick say about Jack's reaction?
4. How does Linda suggest Dr. Longbranch can keep Jack from developing his powers in order to allow him to live securely and in secret with his parents until he reaches maturity?
5. What does Jack learn about Hastings' previous relationship with Linda? What does Hastings say about the women in Jack's family?
6. What habit have Hastings and Becka gotten into since Jack's recovery? How does Jack feel about Becka's continuing presence?
7. In Chapter 10, where does Jack learn his friends will be spending the summer? Where does Jack learn Ellen will be over the summer?
8. What does Hastings admit to Jack in Cumbria? How does Jack feel about this admission?
9. With whom does Jack get into a confrontation with during soccer tryouts? Why?
10. What happens to Jack as he and Linda attempt to find sanctuary in a small church near Westminster Abbey? Who does Linda say Jack needs to heal him?
Essay Topic 1
Who is Leander Hastings? What role does he play at Jack's school? Why does Linda arrange for Hastings to begin training Jack with the sword? What kind of training do they do? What is unusual about the opponents Leander provides for Jack? How does Jack fair in the beginning of his training? Why does Hastings continually push Jack to do better and better in his training? What makes the reader begin to think that Hastings might have ulterior motives in training Jack? What might these motives be?
Essay Topic 2
How does Jack discover that someone has tried to poison him? Why would someone want to kill Jack? Why do two wizards come to Jack's school the following day and try to take him off campus? Who does Jack ask for help? How does Jack delay leaving the school with these men? Who arrives and begs them to take her instead of Jack? Who finally manages to stop the two men attempting to kidnap Jack? How does he do this?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Jack visit with Dr. Longbranch when he first arrives in England? What spell does Dr. Longbranch attempt to cast over Jack? How does this spell fail? What does Dr. Longbranch say she wants Jack to do in the Games? What does Dr. Longbranch suggest they might do with Jack if he survives the Games? How does Jack and Linda escape from Dr. Longbranch? Who tries to kill Linda on the streets? Where do Jack and Linda go for refuge? Who finally comes and rescues Jack? Why does Linda agree to tell everyone Jack is dead?
This section contains 2,530 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)