|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dr. Longbranch want to take baby Jack with her to England in the prologue?
2. What is the Rules of Engagement?
3. What is Mr. Hastings response when Jack asks if the power he feels when he holds Shadowslayer is coming from the sword or from within himself?
4. How many people appear to be searching for Jack as he makes his way home?
5. What does Jack consider as Nick's specialty when it comes to school subjects?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lee find when he returns home? What does Lee know about who is responsible for what he finds?
2. Who finally discovers the location of Susannah's grave? Where is it?
3. In Chapter 7, how does Hastings force Jack to manifest his powers?
4. In Chapter 8, what does Hastings teach Jack about the Games? How does Jack feel about what he is learning?
5. What voices does Jack hear at Susannah's grave? What do they say? Why does he hear them?
6. What does Jack tell Nick about missing his medication? What does Nick say about Jack's reaction?
7. In Chapter 2, what object does Jack receive from Mercedes? How does Linda encourage him to wear it?
8. In Chapter 6, what immediate impact does Jack feel from his new medication?
9. In Chapter 2, where does Becka tell Jack she has gotten a fellowship for that summer?
10. What reason does the leader of the Red Roses give for the murder of Lee's father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following in an essay:
4) Point of View.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the structure of the novel. How is the novel structured? How many narrators are there? Why does the author begin with Lee's story? What is the impact of Lee's story on the reader as the reader learns more and more about the characters in the novel? How does the author build tension in the novel? What is the purpose of the tension in this novel? How does the author use language in this novel? Is the language appropriate to the characters and the plot? How does the author use metaphor and other language devices to tell her story? Does the author develop her themes well? Can you identify some of the themes in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Jack visit with Dr. Longbranch when he first arrives in England? What spell does Dr. Longbranch attempt to cast over Jack? How does this spell fail? What does Dr. Longbranch say she wants Jack to do in the Games? What does Dr. Longbranch suggest they might do with Jack if he survives the Games? How does Jack and Linda escape from Dr. Longbranch? Who tries to kill Linda on the streets? Where do Jack and Linda go for refuge? Who finally comes and rescues Jack? Why does Linda agree to tell everyone Jack is dead?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)