|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the cafe where Will, Jack, and Fitch wait repeatedly to meet with Linda or speak to her on the phone?
2. Who once brought Linda to these ruins and told her of the tragedy that took place there?
3. Where was Carrie hiding when Lee found her?
4. What type of surgery does Jack believe Dr. Longbranch performed on him when he was an infant?
5. According to Hastings, who are the people that he conjures up with his charms for Jack to practice against?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 6, what immediate impact does Jack feel from his new medication?
2. What does Jack do when he remembers that he forgot to take his medication?
3. In Chapter 8, what does Nick begin to teach Jack? What does Nick give to Jack?
4. What surgery did Dr. Longbranch perform on Jackson Swift as an infant? For what reason?
5. Why does Jack forget to take his medication on the morning of the soccer tryouts?
6. In Chapter 10, where does Jack learn his friends will be spending the summer? Where does Jack learn Ellen will be over the summer?
7. What voices does Jack hear at Susannah's grave? What do they say? Why does he hear them?
8. Who finally discovers the location of Susannah's grave? Where is it?
9. In Chapter 7, what is the first thing Hastings wants Jack to learn to do with his powers?
10. What does Linda tell Jack in Chapter 5 that explains the need for the sword?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What happens during the Games? Why does Jack use magic during the Games? Why is Hastings blamed for the first spell Jack uses? How do the judges come to realize that Jack is creating the spells? What do the judges do to prevent Jack from using any more spells? How does Ellen manage to get the better of Jack during the Games? What does Ellen do instead of killing Jack? Why does Ellen refuse to kill Jack? What do the judges say the consequences of Ellen and Jack's actions will be?
Essay Topic 2
How old is Jack Swift when the novel begins? Why does Jack forget to take his medication? What does Jack think the medication is for? What happens when Jack tries out for soccer after forgetting his medication? What does Jack attribute this change to? Why is Becka upset with Jack when he returns home after soccer tryouts? What does Becka make Jack take almost immediately after he walks in the door? What does Becka think Jack is taking his medication for? Who plans to come visit Jack, as the reader learns in Chapter 1? What does Jack think of this surprise visit?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Jack's opponent in the Games? How does Jack feel when he learns about the identity of this opponent? What does this person tell Jack was her role in Trinity when Jack thought she was just another student at Trinity High School? Why does Jack go to see this opponent the night before the Games? How? Does this meeting serve to help or make matters worse for Jack? What does Jack say to this opponent that makes the reader fear Jack will lose the Games due to his own inability to kill his opponent?
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)