|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Linda tell Jack are the most powerful among the weirs?
2. Where did Dr. Longbranch get the stone that she implanted in Jack?
3. Why does Will quickly agree to go to Coalton County with Jack and his aunt in Chapter 2?
4. Who once brought Linda to these ruins and told her of the tragedy that took place there?
5. What is Becka not good at that Jack had to take control of as a young child?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who finally discovers the location of Susannah's grave? Where is it?
2. Who is listed as the person who found Susannah's body after her death? What is the significance of this?
3. In Chapter 3, Jack is attacked by a man with a saber, but does not suffer any injury. How is this possible?
4. In Chapter 3, whose grave is Linda attempting to find? How old was this person when she died?
5. With whom does Jack get into a confrontation with during soccer tryouts? Why?
6. What does Linda tell Jack in Chapter 5 that explains the need for the sword?
7. In Chapter 9, how does Hastings create an arena for Jack to fight in? What is special about this arena?
8. What does Lee find when he returns home? What does Lee know about who is responsible for what he finds?
9. In Chapter 7, what is the first thing Hastings wants Jack to learn to do with his powers?
10. What reason does the leader of the Red Roses give for the murder of Lee's father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Jack discover that someone has tried to poison him? Why would someone want to kill Jack? Why do two wizards come to Jack's school the following day and try to take him off campus? Who does Jack ask for help? How does Jack delay leaving the school with these men? Who arrives and begs them to take her instead of Jack? Who finally manages to stop the two men attempting to kidnap Jack? How does he do this?
Essay Topic 2
Who is kidnapped in England and taken to the site of the Games in order to persuade Jack to fight for a different team? How does Jack react to this kidnapping? How does Hastings secure the lives of those kidnapped? Why does Hastings not try harder to send the kidnapped teens home? How do these two kidnapped figures impact Jack in the hours before the Games are to begin? What kind of mental state is Jack in as he prepares for the Games? What are the stakes should Jack win? Should Jack lose? Who will be most affected by Jack's loss?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Jack's opponent in the Games? How does Jack feel when he learns about the identity of this opponent? What does this person tell Jack was her role in Trinity when Jack thought she was just another student at Trinity High School? Why does Jack go to see this opponent the night before the Games? How? Does this meeting serve to help or make matters worse for Jack? What does Jack say to this opponent that makes the reader fear Jack will lose the Games due to his own inability to kill his opponent?
This section contains 1,112 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)