|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the wizard following Linda into the ruins when he steps into the yard?
2. How many people appear to be searching for Jack as he makes his way home?
3. How long had Lee's family been on the run before returning to their home as Lee describes in the beginning of the prologue?
4. What explanation does Will make for Garrett slamming into the net during soccer tryouts?
5. What class do Jack and Ellen discuss in homeroom in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What voices does Jack hear at Susannah's grave? What do they say? Why does he hear them?
2. In Chapter 2, what object does Jack receive from Mercedes? How does Linda encourage him to wear it?
3. What does Jack tell Nick about missing his medication? What does Nick say about Jack's reaction?
4. In Chapter 7, how does Hastings force Jack to manifest his powers?
5. What reason does the leader of the Red Roses give for the murder of Lee's father?
6. In Chapter 3, Jack is attacked by a man with a saber, but does not suffer any injury. How is this possible?
7. Why does Jack forget to take his medication on the morning of the soccer tryouts?
8. In Chapter 8, what does Nick begin to teach Jack? What does Nick give to Jack?
9. What does Nick give to Jack in Chapter 6? What is the purpose of this item?
10. In Chapter 10, where does Jack learn his friends will be spending the summer? Where does Jack learn Ellen will be over the summer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following in an essay:
4) Point of View.
Essay Topic 2
Who is Jack's opponent in the Games? How does Jack feel when he learns about the identity of this opponent? What does this person tell Jack was her role in Trinity when Jack thought she was just another student at Trinity High School? Why does Jack go to see this opponent the night before the Games? How? Does this meeting serve to help or make matters worse for Jack? What does Jack say to this opponent that makes the reader fear Jack will lose the Games due to his own inability to kill his opponent?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Leander Hastings? What role does he play at Jack's school? Why does Linda arrange for Hastings to begin training Jack with the sword? What kind of training do they do? What is unusual about the opponents Leander provides for Jack? How does Jack fair in the beginning of his training? Why does Hastings continually push Jack to do better and better in his training? What makes the reader begin to think that Hastings might have ulterior motives in training Jack? What might these motives be?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)