|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what point of view is the novel written?
2. In Chapter 9, why does Hastings say he can no longer serve as Jack's opponent?
3. Whom does Jack notice as paying more romantic interest in him despite her boyfriend?
4. What does Jack see in the mirror Nick gives to him?
5. What is Dr. Longbranch's stone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Jack, Will, and Fitch find at Susannah's grave? Who tries to take it from Jack?
2. What happens the first time Hastings sends Jack an opponent in his special arena?
3. What reason does the leader of the Red Roses give for the murder of Lee's father?
4. In Chapter 8, what does Hastings teach Jack about the Games? How does Jack feel about what he is learning?
5. What does Linda tell Jack in Chapter 5 that explains the need for the sword?
6. What surgery did Dr. Longbranch perform on Jackson Swift as an infant? For what reason?
7. In Chapter 7, what is the first thing Hastings wants Jack to learn to do with his powers?
8. In Chapter 6, what immediate impact does Jack feel from his new medication?
9. Who is listed as the person who found Susannah's body after her death? What is the significance of this?
10. What does Jack tell Nick about missing his medication? What does Nick say about Jack's reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following relationships in detail:
1) Hastings and Becka
2) Linda and Becka
3) Longbranch and Jack
4) Jack and Hastings.
Essay Topic 2
How does Jack discover that someone has tried to poison him? Why would someone want to kill Jack? Why do two wizards come to Jack's school the following day and try to take him off campus? Who does Jack ask for help? How does Jack delay leaving the school with these men? Who arrives and begs them to take her instead of Jack? Who finally manages to stop the two men attempting to kidnap Jack? How does he do this?
Essay Topic 3
What is Jack's relationship with Ellen? Why do Ellen and Leesha have a confrontation? Why does Jack agree to walk Ellen home during Leesha's party? How does Jack feel about Ellen? Why does Jack end up having a fight with Garret? How did this come about? How did it end? What does Jack's relationship with Ellen suggest about his personality? What does it say about his position in relation to the Roses and the Games?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)