|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does Lee's story take place?
2. Linda tells everyone her job is _______________.
3. What is Dr. Longbranch's stone?
4. What does Nick call Leander Hastings?
5. Rather than attend a party, Jack decides to walk home with whom in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Will and Fitch end up at Raven's Ghyll? For what purpose?
2. In Chapter 2, what object does Jack receive from Mercedes? How does Linda encourage him to wear it?
3. What do Ellen and Jack still do even though they are no longer required to train to fight in the Games? For what reason?
4. In Chapter 10, where does Jack learn his friends will be spending the summer? Where does Jack learn Ellen will be over the summer?
5. Where does Longbranch want Jack to fight? What excuse does Longbranch come up with to hide Jack's death in the fight?
6. Who confronts Jack after the championship game? What happens?
7. What does Jack tell Nick about missing his medication? What does Nick say about Jack's reaction?
8. What does Hastings admit to Jack in Cumbria? How does Jack feel about this admission?
9. Who is ministering Jack when he wakes in Cumbria? How did she get there?
10. What habit have Hastings and Becka gotten into since Jack's recovery? How does Jack feel about Becka's continuing presence?
Essay Topic 1
Who is Jack's opponent in the Games? How does Jack feel when he learns about the identity of this opponent? What does this person tell Jack was her role in Trinity when Jack thought she was just another student at Trinity High School? Why does Jack go to see this opponent the night before the Games? How? Does this meeting serve to help or make matters worse for Jack? What does Jack say to this opponent that makes the reader fear Jack will lose the Games due to his own inability to kill his opponent?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Lee? What does his father do for a living? What does Lee come home to find? Who is Carrie? Why does Lee believe the Roses did not hurt Carrie? Why does Carrie say it would be better if she left? Who does Carrie say the Roses are looking for? What is Lee? Why does this make him safer than Carrie? What has happened to Lee and Carrie's mother? What does Carrie instruct Lee to do for their mother? Who is waiting for Lee when he begins to leave Carrie's hiding place? Why does the leader say they killed Lee's father? What is the name of the warrior who hurts Lee? What does Lee swear to be rather than the bear he had been to that point? Who does the reader later learn Lee to be in the plot of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Leander Hastings? What role does he play at Jack's school? Why does Linda arrange for Hastings to begin training Jack with the sword? What kind of training do they do? What is unusual about the opponents Leander provides for Jack? How does Jack fair in the beginning of his training? Why does Hastings continually push Jack to do better and better in his training? What makes the reader begin to think that Hastings might have ulterior motives in training Jack? What might these motives be?
This section contains 2,438 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)