Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does Lee's story take place?
2. What is Mr. Hastings response when Jack asks if the power he feels when he holds Shadowslayer is coming from the sword or from within himself?
3. Why does Dr. Longbranch want to take baby Jack with her to England in the prologue?
4. What is the cause of death listed for Susannah Downy in the courthouse records found in Chapter 3?
5. Rather than attend a party, Jack decides to walk home with whom in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 3, whose grave is Linda attempting to find? How old was this person when she died?
2. What surgery did Dr. Longbranch perform on Jackson Swift as an infant? For what reason?
3. What does Jack tell Nick about missing his medication? What does Nick say about Jack's reaction?
4. How does Linda suggest Dr. Longbranch can keep Jack from developing his powers in order to allow him to live securely and in secret with his parents until he reaches maturity?
5. What does Jack learn about Hastings' previous relationship with Linda? What does Hastings say about the women in Jack's family?
6. What habit have Hastings and Becka gotten into since Jack's recovery? How does Jack feel about Becka's continuing presence?
7. In Chapter 10, where does Jack learn his friends will be spending the summer? Where does Jack learn Ellen will be over the summer?
8. What does Hastings admit to Jack in Cumbria? How does Jack feel about this admission?
9. With whom does Jack get into a confrontation with during soccer tryouts? Why?
10. What happens to Jack as he and Linda attempt to find sanctuary in a small church near Westminster Abbey? Who does Linda say Jack needs to heal him?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the structure of the novel. How is the novel structured? How many narrators are there? Why does the author begin with Lee's story? What is the impact of Lee's story on the reader as the reader learns more and more about the characters in the novel? How does the author build tension in the novel? What is the purpose of the tension in this novel? How does the author use language in this novel? Is the language appropriate to the characters and the plot? How does the author use metaphor and other language devices to tell her story? Does the author develop her themes well? Can you identify some of the themes in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Jack Swift? What was he born without that his aunt arranged for him to have inserted? What kind of stone did Linda think Dr. Longbranch had given Jack? What kind of stone did Dr. Longbranch really give to Jack? Why did Dr. Longbranch give Jack the wrong stone? What does Dr. Longbranch expect to happen when Jack grows up? What title does Dr. Longbranch have with the White Rose? Why does Linda believe this means Dr. Longbranch wants Jack for the White Rose? How does Linda convince Dr. Longbranch to allow Jack's parents to raise him? How does Dr. Longbranch suppress Jack's powers as he grows?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Lee? What does his father do for a living? What does Lee come home to find? Who is Carrie? Why does Lee believe the Roses did not hurt Carrie? Why does Carrie say it would be better if she left? Who does Carrie say the Roses are looking for? What is Lee? Why does this make him safer than Carrie? What has happened to Lee and Carrie's mother? What does Carrie instruct Lee to do for their mother? Who is waiting for Lee when he begins to leave Carrie's hiding place? Why does the leader say they killed Lee's father? What is the name of the warrior who hurts Lee? What does Lee swear to be rather than the bear he had been to that point? Who does the reader later learn Lee to be in the plot of the novel?
This section contains 1,176 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)