|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nick call Leander Hastings?
2. What does Jack see in the mirror Nick gives to him?
3. What is the cause of death listed for Susannah Downy in the courthouse records found in Chapter 3?
4. Why does Dr. Longbranch want to take baby Jack with her to England in the prologue?
5. In Chapter 6, Nick tells Jack that ___________created his Weirbook.
Short Essay Questions
1. What voices does Jack hear at Susannah's grave? What do they say? Why does he hear them?
2. What do Jack, Will, and Fitch find at Susannah's grave? Who tries to take it from Jack?
3. In Chapter 5, why is Jack surprised by the identity of his new trainer?
4. In Chapter 10, where does Jack learn his friends will be spending the summer? Where does Jack learn Ellen will be over the summer?
5. What does Jack tell Nick about missing his medication? What does Nick say about Jack's reaction?
6. In Chapter 7, how does Hastings force Jack to manifest his powers?
7. What does Linda tell Jack in Chapter 5 that explains the need for the sword?
8. In Chapter 7, what is the first thing Hastings wants Jack to learn to do with his powers?
9. In Chapter 8, what does Nick begin to teach Jack? What does Nick give to Jack?
10. In Chapter 2, what object does Jack receive from Mercedes? How does Linda encourage him to wear it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following in an essay:
4) Point of View.
Essay Topic 2
What happens during the Games? Why does Jack use magic during the Games? Why is Hastings blamed for the first spell Jack uses? How do the judges come to realize that Jack is creating the spells? What do the judges do to prevent Jack from using any more spells? How does Ellen manage to get the better of Jack during the Games? What does Ellen do instead of killing Jack? Why does Ellen refuse to kill Jack? What do the judges say the consequences of Ellen and Jack's actions will be?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Becka tell Jack that she is going to Oxford, England during the summer? How does Jack feel about this news? What reason does Linda give for wanting to go to Coalton County? Why does Linda want Jack to go with her? Who else does Linda agree to take? What relative's grave does Linda take Jack to? What special skill does Linda tell Jack that this relative had? What kind of weapon does Finch believe the man on the stairs at the courthouse had? Why does Jack laugh at him? Later, what kind of weapon does Jack take from his relative's grave? What is special about this weapon? Why does Jack need this weapon?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)