|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Linda take Jack to tell him the secrets of his heritage?
2. Who does Linda say can be the only one to open the object Jack is to find at Susannah's grave?
3. Why does Linda want to go to Coalton County in Chapter 2?
4. Of what stone is Lee the only one of four children to show the telltale signs?
5. What is the cause of death listed for Susannah Downy in the courthouse records found in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What threat does Hastings make against Jack's mother to demonstrate what might happen if he refuses to play in the Games?
2. Who is the Red Rose warrior? Why does Jack tell Hastings he will not be able to kill this warrior?
3. What reason does the leader of the Red Roses give for the murder of Lee's father?
4. What is Raven's Ghyll? Why has Hastings decided to take Jack there through the back way?
5. What theory does Fitch tell Linda about Susannah's death?
6. Why does Susannah claim the dragon has awakened? What is the result of this?
7. In Chapter 9, how does Hastings create an arena for Jack to fight in? What is special about this arena?
8. For what reason does Linda tell Jack that Hastings wants to make Jack fight in the Games?
9. In Chapter 7, how does Hastings force Jack to manifest his powers?
10. For what trip is Jack packing at the end of Chapter 11? What does he pack?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following in an essay:
4) Point of View.
Essay Topic 2
Who is kidnapped in England and taken to the site of the Games in order to persuade Jack to fight for a different team? How does Jack react to this kidnapping? How does Hastings secure the lives of those kidnapped? Why does Hastings not try harder to send the kidnapped teens home? How do these two kidnapped figures impact Jack in the hours before the Games are to begin? What kind of mental state is Jack in as he prepares for the Games? What are the stakes should Jack win? Should Jack lose? Who will be most affected by Jack's loss?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following objects in an essay, discussing the importance of the object and its magical properties:
3) Magic Mirror
4) Mercedes' vest.
This section contains 2,460 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)