Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does Lee's story take place?
2. What is Mr. Hastings response when Jack asks if the power he feels when he holds Shadowslayer is coming from the sword or from within himself?
3. Why does Dr. Longbranch want to take baby Jack with her to England in the prologue?
4. What is the cause of death listed for Susannah Downy in the courthouse records found in Chapter 3?
5. Rather than attend a party, Jack decides to walk home with whom in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 3, whose grave is Linda attempting to find? How old was this person when she died?
2. What surgery did Dr. Longbranch perform on Jackson Swift as an infant? For what reason?
3. What does Jack tell Nick about missing his medication? What does Nick say about Jack's reaction?
4. How does Linda suggest Dr. Longbranch can keep Jack from developing his powers in order to allow him to live securely and in secret with his parents until he reaches maturity?
5. What does Jack learn about Hastings' previous relationship with Linda? What does Hastings say about the women in Jack's family?
6. What habit have Hastings and Becka gotten into since Jack's recovery? How does Jack feel about Becka's continuing presence?
7. In Chapter 10, where does Jack learn his friends will be spending the summer? Where does Jack learn Ellen will be over the summer?
8. What does Hastings admit to Jack in Cumbria? How does Jack feel about this admission?
9. With whom does Jack get into a confrontation with during soccer tryouts? Why?
10. What happens to Jack as he and Linda attempt to find sanctuary in a small church near Westminster Abbey? Who does Linda say Jack needs to heal him?
Discuss one of the following relationships in detail:
1) Hastings and Becka
2) Linda and Becka
3) Longbranch and Jack
4) Jack and Hastings.
Why does Becka tell Jack that she is going to Oxford, England during the summer? How does Jack feel about this news? What reason does Linda give for wanting to go to Coalton County? Why does Linda want Jack to go with her? Who else does Linda agree to take? What relative's grave does Linda take Jack to? What special skill does Linda tell Jack that this relative had? What kind of weapon does Finch believe the man on the stairs at the courthouse had? Why does Jack laugh at him? Later, what kind of weapon does Jack take from his relative's grave? What is special about this weapon? Why does Jack need this weapon?
Who is Jack Swift? What was he born without that his aunt arranged for him to have inserted? What kind of stone did Linda think Dr. Longbranch had given Jack? What kind of stone did Dr. Longbranch really give to Jack? Why did Dr. Longbranch give Jack the wrong stone? What does Dr. Longbranch expect to happen when Jack grows up? What title does Dr. Longbranch have with the White Rose? Why does Linda believe this means Dr. Longbranch wants Jack for the White Rose? How does Linda convince Dr. Longbranch to allow Jack's parents to raise him? How does Dr. Longbranch suppress Jack's powers as he grows?
This section contains 1,046 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)