|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. One whole room of Nick's apartment is dedicated to _____________.
2. Where does Jack tell Will and Fitch to run when they are confronted by the wizard at the end of Chapter 4?
3. In Chapter 8, what problems does Jack point out about the Rules of Engagement?
4. What will be Leander Hastings' primary job at Trinity High School?
5. What caused Jack to stay up too late the night before his soccer tryouts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jack learn about Hastings' previous relationship with Linda? What does Hastings say about the women in Jack's family?
2. In Chapter 10, where does Jack learn his friends will be spending the summer? Where does Jack learn Ellen will be over the summer?
3. In Chapter 3, Jack is attacked by a man with a saber, but does not suffer any injury. How is this possible?
4. What does Jack tell Nick about missing his medication? What does Nick say about Jack's reaction?
5. In Chapter 5, why is Jack surprised by the identity of his new trainer?
6. In Chapter 2, what object does Jack receive from Mercedes? How does Linda encourage him to wear it?
7. What do Ellen and Jack still do even though they are no longer required to train to fight in the Games? For what reason?
8. Who finally discovers the location of Susannah's grave? Where is it?
9. Why does Linda file a grievance to stop Jack from participating in the Games? Who else files a grievance?
10. Who objects to Jack's participation in the Games? For what reason?
Essay Topic 1
Who is Jack Swift? What was he born without that his aunt arranged for him to have inserted? What kind of stone did Linda think Dr. Longbranch had given Jack? What kind of stone did Dr. Longbranch really give to Jack? Why did Dr. Longbranch give Jack the wrong stone? What does Dr. Longbranch expect to happen when Jack grows up? What title does Dr. Longbranch have with the White Rose? Why does Linda believe this means Dr. Longbranch wants Jack for the White Rose? How does Linda convince Dr. Longbranch to allow Jack's parents to raise him? How does Dr. Longbranch suppress Jack's powers as he grows?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Lee? What does his father do for a living? What does Lee come home to find? Who is Carrie? Why does Lee believe the Roses did not hurt Carrie? Why does Carrie say it would be better if she left? Who does Carrie say the Roses are looking for? What is Lee? Why does this make him safer than Carrie? What has happened to Lee and Carrie's mother? What does Carrie instruct Lee to do for their mother? Who is waiting for Lee when he begins to leave Carrie's hiding place? Why does the leader say they killed Lee's father? What is the name of the warrior who hurts Lee? What does Lee swear to be rather than the bear he had been to that point? Who does the reader later learn Lee to be in the plot of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Jack visit with Dr. Longbranch when he first arrives in England? What spell does Dr. Longbranch attempt to cast over Jack? How does this spell fail? What does Dr. Longbranch say she wants Jack to do in the Games? What does Dr. Longbranch suggest they might do with Jack if he survives the Games? How does Jack and Linda escape from Dr. Longbranch? Who tries to kill Linda on the streets? Where do Jack and Linda go for refuge? Who finally comes and rescues Jack? Why does Linda agree to tell everyone Jack is dead?
This section contains 2,453 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)