|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to Jack's house to walk to school with him in Chapter 1?
2. In Chapter 9, why does Hastings say he can no longer serve as Jack's opponent?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 8, what type of fighting are Jack and Mr. Hastings participating in?
4. In Chapter 9, what happens when Hastings drives Jack home to get Shadowslayer before their practice session?
5. Where was Carrie hiding when Lee found her?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 7, what is the first thing Hastings wants Jack to learn to do with his powers?
2. Who finally discovers the location of Susannah's grave? Where is it?
3. Who confronts Jack after the championship game? What happens?
4. What does Nick give to Jack in Chapter 6? What is the purpose of this item?
5. In Chapter 2, where does Becka tell Jack she has gotten a fellowship for that summer?
6. In Chapter 5, why is Jack surprised by the identity of his new trainer?
7. What voices does Jack hear at Susannah's grave? What do they say? Why does he hear them?
8. How does Linda suggest Dr. Longbranch can keep Jack from developing his powers in order to allow him to live securely and in secret with his parents until he reaches maturity?
9. In Chapter 8, what does Hastings teach Jack about the Games? How does Jack feel about what he is learning?
10. What does Jack do when he remembers that he forgot to take his medication?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Dr. Longbranch? Why does she believe that she should own Jack? Why does Dr. Longbranch want Jack to fight for the White Rose? In what way does Dr. Longbranch discuss Jack as though he were a prized dog rather than a person? Why does Dr. Longbranch become upset when she learns that Hastings plans to have Jack fight for him as an independent? Why does Dr. Longbranch file suit, claiming that Jack belongs to her? Who else files suit to stop Jack from fighting in the Games? What is the result of these law suits?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Jack visit with Dr. Longbranch when he first arrives in England? What spell does Dr. Longbranch attempt to cast over Jack? How does this spell fail? What does Dr. Longbranch say she wants Jack to do in the Games? What does Dr. Longbranch suggest they might do with Jack if he survives the Games? How does Jack and Linda escape from Dr. Longbranch? Who tries to kill Linda on the streets? Where do Jack and Linda go for refuge? Who finally comes and rescues Jack? Why does Linda agree to tell everyone Jack is dead?
Essay Topic 3
What happens during the Games? Why does Jack use magic during the Games? Why is Hastings blamed for the first spell Jack uses? How do the judges come to realize that Jack is creating the spells? What do the judges do to prevent Jack from using any more spells? How does Ellen manage to get the better of Jack during the Games? What does Ellen do instead of killing Jack? Why does Ellen refuse to kill Jack? What do the judges say the consequences of Ellen and Jack's actions will be?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)