|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 6, why does Jack worry that hiding his powers might become difficult?
2. What is Becka not good at that Jack had to take control of as a young child?
3. In Chapter 10, to what does Jack attribute Ellen's ability to help him in the fight against Lobeck and his friends?
4. In Chapter 6, why does Jack tell Becka he has moved his medicine to the bathroom?
5. Why does Dr. Longbranch want to take baby Jack with her to England in the prologue?
Short Essay Questions
1. What voices does Jack hear at Susannah's grave? What do they say? Why does he hear them?
2. Who is listed as the person who found Susannah's body after her death? What is the significance of this?
3. In Chapter 8, what does Nick begin to teach Jack? What does Nick give to Jack?
4. In Chapter 2, what object does Jack receive from Mercedes? How does Linda encourage him to wear it?
5. In Chapter 2, where does Becka tell Jack she has gotten a fellowship for that summer?
6. What does Jack do when he remembers that he forgot to take his medication?
7. In Chapter 3, Jack is attacked by a man with a saber, but does not suffer any injury. How is this possible?
8. In Chapter 10, where does Jack learn his friends will be spending the summer? Where does Jack learn Ellen will be over the summer?
9. How does Linda suggest Dr. Longbranch can keep Jack from developing his powers in order to allow him to live securely and in secret with his parents until he reaches maturity?
10. What reason does the leader of the Red Roses give for the murder of Lee's father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Jack discover that someone has tried to poison him? Why would someone want to kill Jack? Why do two wizards come to Jack's school the following day and try to take him off campus? Who does Jack ask for help? How does Jack delay leaving the school with these men? Who arrives and begs them to take her instead of Jack? Who finally manages to stop the two men attempting to kidnap Jack? How does he do this?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Hastings take Jack to Cambria? What is in Cambria? Who joins them there? What is the relationship between Hastings and Becka? For what reason? Why does Linda arrive in Cambria? What does Linda think Hastings has done in the past? Why does Linda think Hastings has been so helpful in training Jack? Why does Hastings admit that he wants Jack to fight in the Games? Why does Jack agree to fight in the Games as an independent with Hastings as his sponsor?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Jack visit with Dr. Longbranch when he first arrives in England? What spell does Dr. Longbranch attempt to cast over Jack? How does this spell fail? What does Dr. Longbranch say she wants Jack to do in the Games? What does Dr. Longbranch suggest they might do with Jack if he survives the Games? How does Jack and Linda escape from Dr. Longbranch? Who tries to kill Linda on the streets? Where do Jack and Linda go for refuge? Who finally comes and rescues Jack? Why does Linda agree to tell everyone Jack is dead?
This section contains 1,118 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)