|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What stone should Dr. Longbranch have inserted in Jack during the surgery?
2. What does Nick tell Jack is the main product among agents in the Trade?
3. In Chapter 10, to what does Jack attribute Ellen's ability to help him in the fight against Lobeck and his friends?
4. Who does Linda say can be the only one to open the object Jack is to find at Susannah's grave?
5. Linda tells everyone her job is _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 2, what object does Jack receive from Mercedes? How does Linda encourage him to wear it?
2. What does Jack do when he remembers that he forgot to take his medication?
3. In Chapter 10, where does Jack learn his friends will be spending the summer? Where does Jack learn Ellen will be over the summer?
4. Who confronts Jack after the championship game? What happens?
5. In Chapter 8, what does Hastings teach Jack about the Games? How does Jack feel about what he is learning?
6. What does Jack tell Nick about missing his medication? What does Nick say about Jack's reaction?
7. In Chapter 3, whose grave is Linda attempting to find? How old was this person when she died?
8. What surgery did Dr. Longbranch perform on Jackson Swift as an infant? For what reason?
9. How does Linda suggest Dr. Longbranch can keep Jack from developing his powers in order to allow him to live securely and in secret with his parents until he reaches maturity?
10. In Chapter 2, where does Becka tell Jack she has gotten a fellowship for that summer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Jack visit with Dr. Longbranch when he first arrives in England? What spell does Dr. Longbranch attempt to cast over Jack? How does this spell fail? What does Dr. Longbranch say she wants Jack to do in the Games? What does Dr. Longbranch suggest they might do with Jack if he survives the Games? How does Jack and Linda escape from Dr. Longbranch? Who tries to kill Linda on the streets? Where do Jack and Linda go for refuge? Who finally comes and rescues Jack? Why does Linda agree to tell everyone Jack is dead?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Hastings take Jack to Cambria? What is in Cambria? Who joins them there? What is the relationship between Hastings and Becka? For what reason? Why does Linda arrive in Cambria? What does Linda think Hastings has done in the past? Why does Linda think Hastings has been so helpful in training Jack? Why does Hastings admit that he wants Jack to fight in the Games? Why does Jack agree to fight in the Games as an independent with Hastings as his sponsor?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Lee? What does his father do for a living? What does Lee come home to find? Who is Carrie? Why does Lee believe the Roses did not hurt Carrie? Why does Carrie say it would be better if she left? Who does Carrie say the Roses are looking for? What is Lee? Why does this make him safer than Carrie? What has happened to Lee and Carrie's mother? What does Carrie instruct Lee to do for their mother? Who is waiting for Lee when he begins to leave Carrie's hiding place? Why does the leader say they killed Lee's father? What is the name of the warrior who hurts Lee? What does Lee swear to be rather than the bear he had been to that point? Who does the reader later learn Lee to be in the plot of the novel?
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)