|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 10, what does Jack say he would like to be when he grows up?
2. What truth does Jack learn about many of his neighbors that surprises him?
3. What does Jack see in the mirror Nick gives to him?
4. What explanation does Will make for Garrett slamming into the net during soccer tryouts?
5. Where does Mr. Hastings take Jack in Chapter 7 for their first training session?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 6, what immediate impact does Jack feel from his new medication?
2. What does Nick give to Jack in Chapter 6? What is the purpose of this item?
3. In Chapter 2, where does Becka tell Jack she has gotten a fellowship for that summer?
4. In Chapter 7, how does Hastings force Jack to manifest his powers?
5. What voices does Jack hear at Susannah's grave? What do they say? Why does he hear them?
6. How does Linda suggest Dr. Longbranch can keep Jack from developing his powers in order to allow him to live securely and in secret with his parents until he reaches maturity?
7. In Chapter 2, what object does Jack receive from Mercedes? How does Linda encourage him to wear it?
8. Who is listed as the person who found Susannah's body after her death? What is the significance of this?
9. In Chapter 9, how does Hastings create an arena for Jack to fight in? What is special about this arena?
10. What surgery did Dr. Longbranch perform on Jackson Swift as an infant? For what reason?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What happens during the Games? Why does Jack use magic during the Games? Why is Hastings blamed for the first spell Jack uses? How do the judges come to realize that Jack is creating the spells? What do the judges do to prevent Jack from using any more spells? How does Ellen manage to get the better of Jack during the Games? What does Ellen do instead of killing Jack? Why does Ellen refuse to kill Jack? What do the judges say the consequences of Ellen and Jack's actions will be?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Jack's opponent in the Games? How does Jack feel when he learns about the identity of this opponent? What does this person tell Jack was her role in Trinity when Jack thought she was just another student at Trinity High School? Why does Jack go to see this opponent the night before the Games? How? Does this meeting serve to help or make matters worse for Jack? What does Jack say to this opponent that makes the reader fear Jack will lose the Games due to his own inability to kill his opponent?
Essay Topic 3
How does Jack discover that someone has tried to poison him? Why would someone want to kill Jack? Why do two wizards come to Jack's school the following day and try to take him off campus? Who does Jack ask for help? How does Jack delay leaving the school with these men? Who arrives and begs them to take her instead of Jack? Who finally manages to stop the two men attempting to kidnap Jack? How does he do this?
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)