|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the wizard who follows Linda to the ruins?
2. Why does Will quickly agree to go to Coalton County with Jack and his aunt in Chapter 2?
3. In Chapter 10, what does Jack say he would like to be when he grows up?
4. From what war does Lee's neighbors think the 'bandits' who attacked Lee's family were remnants of?
5. What truth does Jack learn about many of his neighbors that surprises him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Linda tell Jack in Chapter 5 that explains the need for the sword?
2. In Chapter 10, where does Jack learn his friends will be spending the summer? Where does Jack learn Ellen will be over the summer?
3. Who finally discovers the location of Susannah's grave? Where is it?
4. In Chapter 8, what does Hastings teach Jack about the Games? How does Jack feel about what he is learning?
5. In Chapter 2, where does Becka tell Jack she has gotten a fellowship for that summer?
6. What does Jack do when he remembers that he forgot to take his medication?
7. In Chapter 3, Jack is attacked by a man with a saber, but does not suffer any injury. How is this possible?
8. What reason does the leader of the Red Roses give for the murder of Lee's father?
9. Who is listed as the person who found Susannah's body after her death? What is the significance of this?
10. In Chapter 8, what does Nick begin to teach Jack? What does Nick give to Jack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following in an essay:
4) Point of View.
Essay Topic 2
What is Jack's relationship with Ellen? Why do Ellen and Leesha have a confrontation? Why does Jack agree to walk Ellen home during Leesha's party? How does Jack feel about Ellen? Why does Jack end up having a fight with Garret? How did this come about? How did it end? What does Jack's relationship with Ellen suggest about his personality? What does it say about his position in relation to the Roses and the Games?
Essay Topic 3
Who is kidnapped in England and taken to the site of the Games in order to persuade Jack to fight for a different team? How does Jack react to this kidnapping? How does Hastings secure the lives of those kidnapped? Why does Hastings not try harder to send the kidnapped teens home? How do these two kidnapped figures impact Jack in the hours before the Games are to begin? What kind of mental state is Jack in as he prepares for the Games? What are the stakes should Jack win? Should Jack lose? Who will be most affected by Jack's loss?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)