|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What structure does Fitch want to visit rather than eat lunch with Will?
(a) Big Ben.
(b) The Louvre.
(c) The Citadel.
(d) Westminster Abbey.
2. What does Simon Paige say to Jack before the hearing on the grievances against Jack?
(a) He knows Ellen is looking forward to killing Jack.
(b) He hopes there are no hard feelings.
(c) May the best man win.
(d) He cannot wait to see his blood spill.
3. What do voices say in Jack's mind as he approaches the grounds where the Games are played?
(a) Old warriors warning him away.
(b) Old warriors giving him tips.
(c) Old ghosts telling him the history of the area.
(d) Old ghosts wishing him luck.
4. What group does Hastings accuse Linda of abandoning to rescue Jack?
(a) The Trinity High School Soccer club.
(b) The Chaucerian Group.
(c) The Trinity High School summer camp.
(d) The Shakesperean Group.
5. What feature of Hastings' house does Becka extoll to Jack?
(a) The television room.
(b) The library.
(c) The kitchen.
(d) The garden.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Linda in Chapter 11, who is the premier wizard with the Red Rose?
2. What is Hastings accused of having done to deserve punishment?
3. In Chapter 14, Jeremiah Brooks says he was used by _____________ in the same way Jack is being used now.
4. What speculations does Hastings make about the Red Rose's champion?
5. How many bouts does Jeremiah claim to have fought before he died?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Jack and Ellen learn will happen to a player who forfeits during the Games? What is said about the use of magic by sponsors, spectators, or wagerers?
2. Where does Longbranch want Jack to fight? What excuse does Longbranch come up with to hide Jack's death in the fight?
3. Who helps save Jack's life in Chapter 11? How?
4. What happens to Jack as he and Linda attempt to find sanctuary in a small church near Westminster Abbey? Who does Linda say Jack needs to heal him?
5. For what reason does Linda tell Jack that Hastings wants to make Jack fight in the Games?
6. How does Jack manage to sneak into Ellen's room to speak to her the night before the Games? What is said?
7. What charm does Dr. Longbranch cast on Jack? How does he escape it?
8. What does Hastings admit to Jack in Cumbria? How does Jack feel about this admission?
9. What threat does Hastings make against Jack's mother to demonstrate what might happen if he refuses to play in the Games?
10. At the amusement park, Ellen pretends to throw a slushy on Jack, but misses and hits the water. What happens next? Why did Ellen do this?
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)