|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Linda tell Jack in Chapter 5 that he should not trust?
(a) Will and Fitch.
(b) Ellen and Leesha.
(c) Everyone, but especially Dr. Longbranch.
2. Who once brought Linda to these ruins and told her of the tragedy that took place there?
3. What occupation was listed for Susannah Downy in the records at the courthouse in Chapter 3?
(a) Farmer's wife.
(c) Merchant's wife.
4. What is Dr. Longbranch's stone?
5. In Chapter 9, why does Hastings say he can no longer serve as Jack's opponent?
(a) Jack is now using Shadowslayer.
(b) Jack has gotten too good for his skills.
(c) Jack needs to learn what it feels like to kill.
(d) Jack has gotten too strong for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mr. Hastings response when Jack asks if the power he feels when he holds Shadowslayer is coming from the sword or from within himself?
2. Who suggests in Chapter 3 that Linda separate from the boys in Coal Grove to draw off the strange attacker?
3. What is the name of the cafe where Will, Jack, and Fitch wait repeatedly to meet with Linda or speak to her on the phone?
4. From what war does Lee's neighbors think the 'bandits' who attacked Lee's family were remnants of?
5. What stone should Dr. Longbranch have inserted in Jack during the surgery?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 3, Jack is attacked by a man with a saber, but does not suffer any injury. How is this possible?
2. In Chapter 6, what immediate impact does Jack feel from his new medication?
3. In Chapter 9, how does Hastings create an arena for Jack to fight in? What is special about this arena?
4. With whom does Jack get into a confrontation with during soccer tryouts? Why?
5. Who confronts Jack after the championship game? What happens?
6. In Chapter 2, what object does Jack receive from Mercedes? How does Linda encourage him to wear it?
7. In Chapter 8, what does Nick begin to teach Jack? What does Nick give to Jack?
8. How does Linda suggest Dr. Longbranch can keep Jack from developing his powers in order to allow him to live securely and in secret with his parents until he reaches maturity?
9. In Chapter 7, how does Hastings force Jack to manifest his powers?
10. What does Lee find when he returns home? What does Lee know about who is responsible for what he finds?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)