|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the newspaper article Jack finds in the library say about the cause of death for Susannah Downy?
(a) A gun wound.
(b) Crush injuries from a horse.
(c) A broken neck.
(d) A gash to the chest.
2. Why does Will quickly agree to go to Coalton County with Jack and his aunt in Chapter 2?
(a) He wants to escape family game night.
(b) He thinks Linda is pretty.
(c) He likes to help people out.
(d) He wants to stay in a hotel with a pool.
3. Where was Carrie hiding when Lee found her?
(a) The attic.
(b) The basement.
(c) The root cellar.
(d) The barn.
4. In Chapter 6, why does Jack tell Becka he has moved his medicine to the bathroom?
(a) It's more convenient to keep it with the other medicines.
(b) It will be easier to remember if he takes it before brushing his teeth.
(c) It tastes better first thing in the morning.
(d) He can remember it better if he sees it first thing in the morning.
5. Whose mother is a member of the school board?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Will not want Linda to drop him off at his house at the end of the weekend?
2. What is different about Susannah's grave as compared to the graves around it?
3. What is the name of the wizard who follows Linda to the ruins?
4. What does Jack consider as Nick's specialty when it comes to school subjects?
5. What do Jack, Will, and Fitch do after leaving the library in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lee find when he returns home? What does Lee know about who is responsible for what he finds?
2. How does Linda suggest Dr. Longbranch can keep Jack from developing his powers in order to allow him to live securely and in secret with his parents until he reaches maturity?
3. How does Jack manage to sneak into Ellen's room to speak to her the night before the Games? What is said?
4. What charm does Dr. Longbranch cast on Jack? How does he escape it?
5. What reason does the leader of the Red Roses give for the murder of Lee's father?
6. In Chapter 5, why is Jack surprised by the identity of his new trainer?
7. Who is the Red Rose warrior? Why does Jack tell Hastings he will not be able to kill this warrior?
8. For what trip is Jack packing at the end of Chapter 11? What does he pack?
9. What does Linda tell Jack in Chapter 5 that explains the need for the sword?
10. What do Jack and Ellen learn will happen to a player who forfeits during the Games? What is said about the use of magic by sponsors, spectators, or wagerers?
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)