Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year does Lee's story take place?
2. What is Mr. Hastings response when Jack asks if the power he feels when he holds Shadowslayer is coming from the sword or from within himself?
3. Why does Dr. Longbranch want to take baby Jack with her to England in the prologue?
(a) She always wanted kids.
(b) She is afraid Becka cannot care for him properly.
(c) She does not trust Becka to keep quiet about the surgery.
(d) To protect him from others because his value has doubled due to the surgery.
4. What is the cause of death listed for Susannah Downy in the courthouse records found in Chapter 3?
(d) Child birth.
5. Rather than attend a party, Jack decides to walk home with whom in Chapter 10?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jack believe in Chapter 3 that Linda did not ask him to drive?
2. What is different about Susannah's grave as compared to the graves around it?
3. From what point of view is the novel written?
4. What is Dr. Longbranch's stone?
5. From what war does Lee's neighbors think the 'bandits' who attacked Lee's family were remnants of?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 3, whose grave is Linda attempting to find? How old was this person when she died?
2. What surgery did Dr. Longbranch perform on Jackson Swift as an infant? For what reason?
3. What does Jack tell Nick about missing his medication? What does Nick say about Jack's reaction?
4. How does Linda suggest Dr. Longbranch can keep Jack from developing his powers in order to allow him to live securely and in secret with his parents until he reaches maturity?
5. What does Jack learn about Hastings' previous relationship with Linda? What does Hastings say about the women in Jack's family?
6. What habit have Hastings and Becka gotten into since Jack's recovery? How does Jack feel about Becka's continuing presence?
7. In Chapter 10, where does Jack learn his friends will be spending the summer? Where does Jack learn Ellen will be over the summer?
8. What does Hastings admit to Jack in Cumbria? How does Jack feel about this admission?
9. With whom does Jack get into a confrontation with during soccer tryouts? Why?
10. What happens to Jack as he and Linda attempt to find sanctuary in a small church near Westminster Abbey? Who does Linda say Jack needs to heal him?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)