|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 6, why does Jack worry that hiding his powers might become difficult?
(a) They make his arm muscles grow extremely large overnight.
(b) They cause him to lose control of his limbs.
(c) They tend to manifest during soccer play.
(d) They create great lights from his fingers.
2. From what point of view is the novel written?
(a) First person.
(b) Third person limited.
(c) Third person omniscient.
(d) Authorial voice.
3. In Chapter 6, what damage does Longbranch notice in Wylie's face when he arrives for a dinner party?
(a) Bruising around his eyes.
(b) A cut on his cheek.
(c) A burn along the right side.
(d) A broken nose.
4. Who once brought Linda to these ruins and told her of the tragedy that took place there?
5. Why does Jack believe in Chapter 3 that Linda did not ask him to drive?
(a) He would not drive fast enough.
(b) He is not experienced enough.
(c) He does not have his learner's permit.
(d) She does not want him to damage her car.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 10, to what does Jack attribute Ellen's ability to help him in the fight against Lobeck and his friends?
2. Sam Hadley tells Jack he is __________.
3. Where does Jack tell Will and Fitch to run when they are confronted by the wizard at the end of Chapter 4?
4. What does Jack suddenly realize about his aunt at the beginning of Chapter 5?
5. What does Linda tell Jack is a possible reason why he was born without his crystal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jack tell Nick about missing his medication? What does Nick say about Jack's reaction?
2. How does Linda suggest Dr. Longbranch can keep Jack from developing his powers in order to allow him to live securely and in secret with his parents until he reaches maturity?
3. In Chapter 5, why is Jack surprised by the identity of his new trainer?
4. What does Jack do when he remembers that he forgot to take his medication?
5. In Chapter 2, what object does Jack receive from Mercedes? How does Linda encourage him to wear it?
6. What do Jack, Will, and Fitch find at Susannah's grave? Who tries to take it from Jack?
7. In Chapter 6, what immediate impact does Jack feel from his new medication?
8. What does Lee find when he returns home? What does Lee know about who is responsible for what he finds?
9. In Chapter 3, Jack is attacked by a man with a saber, but does not suffer any injury. How is this possible?
10. In Chapter 8, what does Hastings teach Jack about the Games? How does Jack feel about what he is learning?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)