|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Will quickly agree to go to Coalton County with Jack and his aunt in Chapter 2?
(a) He wants to escape family game night.
(b) He wants to stay in a hotel with a pool.
(c) He thinks Linda is pretty.
(d) He likes to help people out.
2. From what war does Lee's neighbors think the 'bandits' who attacked Lee's family were remnants of?
(a) The Revolutionary War.
(b) The Civil War.
(c) The Spanish-American War.
(d) The Mexican War.
3. Why does Linda want to go to Coalton County in Chapter 2?
(a) Antique shopping.
(b) Research for a book.
(c) A vacation.
(d) Genealogy research.
4. What does the newspaper article Jack finds in the library say about the cause of death for Susannah Downy?
(a) A gash to the chest.
(b) Crush injuries from a horse.
(c) A gun wound.
(d) A broken neck.
5. What does Linda tell Jack is a possible reason why he was born without his crystal?
(a) His father's family history.
(b) The spell of a wizard.
(c) A simple birth defect.
(d) Mixed blood.
Short Answer Questions
1. What occupation was listed for Susannah Downy in the records at the courthouse in Chapter 3?
2. When Jack gets the vest from Mercedes, what other gift from Mercedes does it remind him of?
3. What happens to the wizard following Linda into the ruins when he steps into the yard?
4. What will be Leander Hastings' primary job at Trinity High School?
5. How does Linda gain entrance into the courthouse in Coal Grove?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 2, where does Becka tell Jack she has gotten a fellowship for that summer?
2. Who finally discovers the location of Susannah's grave? Where is it?
3. In Chapter 9, how does Hastings create an arena for Jack to fight in? What is special about this arena?
4. What surgery did Dr. Longbranch perform on Jackson Swift as an infant? For what reason?
5. What does Linda tell Jack in Chapter 5 that explains the need for the sword?
6. How does Linda suggest Dr. Longbranch can keep Jack from developing his powers in order to allow him to live securely and in secret with his parents until he reaches maturity?
7. What reason does the leader of the Red Roses give for the murder of Lee's father?
8. In Chapter 5, why is Jack surprised by the identity of his new trainer?
9. Who confronts Jack after the championship game? What happens?
10. In Chapter 6, what immediate impact does Jack feel from his new medication?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)