|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Linda tells everyone her job is _______________.
(a) Painting portraits.
(b) Selling antiques.
(c) Selling art.
(d) Selling real estate.
2. In Chapter 8, why is Jack worried about his aunt, Linda?
(a) She went out with Nick several days ago and never called again.
(b) She refuses to acknowledge the conversation they had at the diner.
(c) She seemed mad at him the last time she called.
(d) She has not called since their trip to Coal Grove.
3. From what point of view is the novel written?
(a) Third person omniscient.
(b) Authorial voice.
(c) First person.
(d) Third person limited.
4. What reason does Mr. Hastings give Jack for coming to Ohio from New York?
(a) He wanted to meet the warrior that should have been a wizard.
(b) He wanted to become a teacher.
(c) He could not say no to Linda.
(d) He could not refuse Becka.
5. In Chapter 6, what damage does Longbranch notice in Wylie's face when he arrives for a dinner party?
(a) A burn along the right side.
(b) Bruising around his eyes.
(c) A cut on his cheek.
(d) A broken nose.
6. How long had Lee's family been on the run before returning to their home as Lee describes in the beginning of the prologue?
(a) A fortnight.
(b) Six months.
(c) A month.
(d) A week.
7. Where was Carrie hiding when Lee found her?
(a) The root cellar.
(b) The attic.
(c) The basement.
(d) The barn.
8. Whose mother is a member of the school board?
9. In Chapter 6, why does Jack worry that hiding his powers might become difficult?
(a) They tend to manifest during soccer play.
(b) They create great lights from his fingers.
(c) They make his arm muscles grow extremely large overnight.
(d) They cause him to lose control of his limbs.
10. What truth does Jack learn about many of his neighbors that surprises him?
(a) They are all normal people who just care about him.
(b) They are all wizards.
(c) They are all warriors.
(d) Many of them are either weir or know about the guilds.
11. Where did Dr. Longbranch get the stone that she implanted in Jack?
(a) A warrior who died in the Games.
(b) From a distant relative of Jack's.
(c) A White Rose warrior killed by Red Rose agents.
(d) From Jack's father.
12. In what year does Lee's story take place?
13. What is different about Susannah's grave as compared to the graves around it?
(a) Susannah's is overgrown while the others are well tended.
(b) Susannah's is stuck off by itself.
(c) Susannah's is the only one without a stone.
(d) Susannah's grave is well tended where the others have become overgrown with weeds.
14. What happens to the wizard following Linda into the ruins when he steps into the yard?
(a) He falls to the ground in pain.
(b) He disappears.
(c) He is attacked by mythical creatures.
(d) He dies.
15. What class do Jack and Ellen discuss in homeroom in Chapter 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. What shortage does Dr. Longbranch hope Jack's surgery might prove an end to?
2. Where does Jack tell Will and Fitch to run when they are confronted by the wizard at the end of Chapter 4?
3. In Chapter 6, Nick tells Jack that ___________created his Weirbook.
4. Why does Linda want to go to Coalton County in Chapter 2?
5. In Chapter 9, what does Jack think his training is leading him toward?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)