|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the wizard following Linda into the ruins when he steps into the yard?
(a) He is attacked by mythical creatures.
(b) He dies.
(c) He disappears.
(d) He falls to the ground in pain.
2. In Chapter 8, why is Jack worried about his aunt, Linda?
(a) She refuses to acknowledge the conversation they had at the diner.
(b) She seemed mad at him the last time she called.
(c) She went out with Nick several days ago and never called again.
(d) She has not called since their trip to Coal Grove.
3. What occupation was listed for Susannah Downy in the records at the courthouse in Chapter 3?
(b) Merchant's wife.
(c) Farmer's wife.
4. What does Nick call Leander Hastings?
(a) A Master, one who knows many magical arts.
(b) A rogue Warrior, meaning he does not follow the rules.
(c) An International Criminal, wanted by all the weirs for crimes against the Rules of Engagement.
(d) A Sorcerer, one who can use spells to get his way.
5. Why does Dr. Longbranch want to take baby Jack with her to England in the prologue?
(a) She is afraid Becka cannot care for him properly.
(b) She always wanted kids.
(c) To protect him from others because his value has doubled due to the surgery.
(d) She does not trust Becka to keep quiet about the surgery.
6. According to Hastings, who are the people that he conjures up with his charms for Jack to practice against?
(a) Champions from the past, long dead.
(b) Spirits from the Netherland.
(c) Figments of his imagination.
(d) Ghosts from the local cemeteries.
7. What is the cause of death listed for Susannah Downy in the courthouse records found in Chapter 3?
(c) Child birth.
8. In Chapter 9, why does Hastings say he can no longer serve as Jack's opponent?
(a) Jack is now using Shadowslayer.
(b) Jack needs to learn what it feels like to kill.
(c) Jack has gotten too strong for him.
(d) Jack has gotten too good for his skills.
9. What is the Rules of Engagement?
(a) The bible of Warrior techniques.
(b) The bible of the Weir tournament.
(c) A manual explaning swordplay.
(d) A book that teaches war techniques.
10. From what point of view is the novel written?
(a) Third person omniscient.
(b) First person.
(c) Third person limited.
(d) Authorial voice.
11. What class do Jack and Ellen discuss in homeroom in Chapter 1?
12. Linda tells everyone her job is _______________.
(a) Painting portraits.
(b) Selling art.
(c) Selling real estate.
(d) Selling antiques.
13. What does Hastings tell Jack to think of his opponents in the arena he has created?
(a) As a sports tournament.
(b) As a video game on a larger scale.
(c) As a chess game on a larger scale.
(d) As a movie set.
14. In Chapter 6, what damage does Longbranch notice in Wylie's face when he arrives for a dinner party?
(a) Bruising around his eyes.
(b) A burn along the right side.
(c) A broken nose.
(d) A cut on his cheek.
15. At the beginning of Chapter 8, what type of fighting are Jack and Mr. Hastings participating in?
Short Answer Questions
1. One whole room of Nick's apartment is dedicated to _____________.
2. Why does Jack believe in Chapter 3 that Linda did not ask him to drive?
3. Who does Linda tell Jack are the most powerful among the weirs?
4. What does Jack consider as Nick's specialty when it comes to school subjects?
5. What shortage does Dr. Longbranch hope Jack's surgery might prove an end to?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)