Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year does Lee's story take place?
2. What is Mr. Hastings response when Jack asks if the power he feels when he holds Shadowslayer is coming from the sword or from within himself?
3. Why does Dr. Longbranch want to take baby Jack with her to England in the prologue?
(a) She always wanted kids.
(b) She is afraid Becka cannot care for him properly.
(c) She does not trust Becka to keep quiet about the surgery.
(d) To protect him from others because his value has doubled due to the surgery.
4. What is the cause of death listed for Susannah Downy in the courthouse records found in Chapter 3?
(d) Child birth.
5. Rather than attend a party, Jack decides to walk home with whom in Chapter 10?
6. Why does Jack believe in Chapter 3 that Linda did not ask him to drive?
(a) He is not experienced enough.
(b) He does not have his learner's permit.
(c) He would not drive fast enough.
(d) She does not want him to damage her car.
7. What is different about Susannah's grave as compared to the graves around it?
(a) Susannah's grave is well tended where the others have become overgrown with weeds.
(b) Susannah's is the only one without a stone.
(c) Susannah's is stuck off by itself.
(d) Susannah's is overgrown while the others are well tended.
8. From what point of view is the novel written?
(a) Authorial voice.
(b) First person.
(c) Third person limited.
(d) Third person omniscient.
9. What is Dr. Longbranch's stone?
10. From what war does Lee's neighbors think the 'bandits' who attacked Lee's family were remnants of?
(a) The Revolutionary War.
(b) The Civil War.
(c) The Mexican War.
(d) The Spanish-American War.
11. Who suggests in Chapter 3 that Linda separate from the boys in Coal Grove to draw off the strange attacker?
12. What does Hastings tell Jack to think of his opponents in the arena he has created?
(a) As a chess game on a larger scale.
(b) As a movie set.
(c) As a sports tournament.
(d) As a video game on a larger scale.
13. When Jack gets the vest from Mercedes, what other gift from Mercedes does it remind him of?
(a) A favorite teddy bear.
(b) A childhood sweater.
(c) A pair of baby booties.
(d) A baby blanket.
14. What does Jack suddenly realize about his aunt at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) She is lying to him.
(b) She is an enchanter.
(c) She is his real mother.
(d) She is a warrior.
15. What class do Jack and Ellen discuss in homeroom in Chapter 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. What stone should Dr. Longbranch have inserted in Jack during the surgery?
2. Whom does Jack notice as paying more romantic interest in him despite her boyfriend?
3. What will be Leander Hastings' primary job at Trinity High School?
4. How does Linda gain entrance into the courthouse in Coal Grove?
5. How long had Lee's family been on the run before returning to their home as Lee describes in the beginning of the prologue?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)