|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Carrie hiding when Lee found her?
(a) The barn.
(b) The attic.
(c) The root cellar.
(d) The basement.
2. Where does Jack tell Will and Fitch to run when they are confronted by the wizard at the end of Chapter 4?
(a) The church.
(b) The car.
(c) The hotel.
(d) The grave.
3. From what point of view is the novel written?
(a) First person.
(b) Authorial voice.
(c) Third person limited.
(d) Third person omniscient.
4. Sam Hadley tells Jack he is __________.
(a) An archeologist.
(b) A historian.
(c) A college professor.
(d) A genealogy researcher.
5. What occupation was listed for Susannah Downy in the records at the courthouse in Chapter 3?
(b) Merchant's wife.
(c) Farmer's wife.
6. What do the two strangers steal from the soccer coach at the end of Chapter 1?
(a) The team roster.
(b) The tryout list.
(c) His car keys.
(d) His soccer balls.
7. Who suggests in Chapter 3 that Linda separate from the boys in Coal Grove to draw off the strange attacker?
8. What does Jack see in the mirror Nick gives to him?
(a) His mother being attacked.
(b) Himself dying in the tournament.
(c) Himself being sold at auction.
(d) His aunt being attacked.
9. Why does Linda want to go to Coalton County in Chapter 2?
(a) A vacation.
(b) Antique shopping.
(c) Genealogy research.
(d) Research for a book.
10. In Chapter 9, what happens when Hastings drives Jack home to get Shadowslayer before their practice session?
(a) Mercedes makes Hastings leave.
(b) Hastings flirts with Becka.
(c) Nick and Hastings argue.
(d) Hastings is rude to Becka.
11. What caused Jack to stay up too late the night before his soccer tryouts?
(b) A new video game.
(c) A movie marathon.
(d) A new book.
12. In Chapter 6, why does Jack tell Becka he has moved his medicine to the bathroom?
(a) It will be easier to remember if he takes it before brushing his teeth.
(b) It tastes better first thing in the morning.
(c) He can remember it better if he sees it first thing in the morning.
(d) It's more convenient to keep it with the other medicines.
13. What does the newspaper article Jack finds in the library say about the cause of death for Susannah Downy?
(a) A gun wound.
(b) A gash to the chest.
(c) Crush injuries from a horse.
(d) A broken neck.
14. What does Jack suddenly realize about his aunt at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) She is his real mother.
(b) She is a warrior.
(c) She is an enchanter.
(d) She is lying to him.
15. Whom does Jack notice as paying more romantic interest in him despite her boyfriend?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jack gets the vest from Mercedes, what other gift from Mercedes does it remind him of?
2. In Chapter 8, what problems does Jack point out about the Rules of Engagement?
3. One whole room of Nick's apartment is dedicated to _____________.
4. What is the occupation of Lee's father?
5. What is the Rules of Engagement?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)