|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time does Tsagaglalal say Josh and Sophie are on?
2. How do the Sorceress, Sophie and Tsagaglalal begin the ritual to help Nicholas?
3. What does Dee do to Billy the Kid?
4. Why does Sophie leave Josh?
5. Why did Abraham send Tsagaglalal to the females in Sophie's lineage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Perenelle give Nicholas and what does she say as to why she revived Nicholas?
2. Where are the former prisoners in Chapter 49 and what is Prometheus doing?
3. Where does Sophie go to think and who is waiting for her?
4. Where are the Flamels, Niten and Prometheus and how is the Lotan conquered?
5. What does Scathach watch from the mouth of the cave?
6. How does Tsagaglalal feel about immortality and why is she and Gilgamesh immortal?
7. What happens to Niccolo and Billy the Kid when they protest the release of the monsters?
8. Why is Mars Ultor worn out and who does he encounter?
9. Why is John Dee angry and how does he react to waht Machiavelli says?
10. Who watches Aten talk with Death and what do the watchers plan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Warlock belongs to the fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fantasy genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a fantasy and a historical novel mystery?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in The Warlock. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Scott chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Scott chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Scott's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Scott use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 3
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in The Warlock? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in The Warlock including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from The Warlock and your own live to support your opinion.
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)