|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sophie wonder about Aunt Agnes?
2. What does Sophie not want the other women to know?
3. What did Abraham create for the twins?
4. What is Abraham like in Chapter 54?
5. What idea does Virginia like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Scathach think about her sister Aoife?
2. How does Tsagaglalal feel about immortality and why is she and Gilgamesh immortal?
3. What does Aten choose to do despite the consequences?
4. What does Perenelle give Nicholas and what does she say as to why she revived Nicholas?
5. Why does Virginia become angry at John Dee and how does he placate her?
6. Where do Black Hawk, Mars, Odin and Hel go and what is their plan?
7. What happens to Niccolo and Billy the Kid when they protest the release of the monsters?
8. What do Machiavelli and Billy the Kid discuss about Virginia Dare?
9. What instructions does Tsagaglalal give Sophie concerning magic?
10. Where are the Flamels, Niten and Prometheus and how is the Lotan conquered?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nicholas Flamel is in some ways a larger-than-life hero. Despite incredible odds, he usually comes out on top, in this book and in the others in the series. Discuss the following:
1. Does having a larger-than-life hero make that person less of a hero? In other words, which is more admirable--a hero who ultimately always "lands on his feet," or one who strives against impossible odds and doesn't succeed?
2. Does a character have to be successful in order to be a hero? Explain your answer.
3. Choose one other character besides Rand who you might call a hero/heroine and explain why you choose that person.
4. Does every work of fiction have to have a hero? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in The Warlock? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in The Warlock including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from The Warlock and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
The Warlock belongs to the fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fantasy genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a fantasy and a historical novel mystery?
This section contains 1,119 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)