|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who saves Billy?
2. What does Scathach realize about Marethyu?
3. What does Nereus ask?
4. About what does Abraham explain in his letter to Sophie?
5. What does Sophie know about Josh?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is at the party at Tsagaglalal's house and why do they get along?
2. What does Scathach think about her sister Aoife?
3. What does Perenelle give Nicholas and what does she say as to why she revived Nicholas?
4. Why is Mars Ultor worn out and who does he encounter?
5. What does Scathach watch from the mouth of the cave?
6. How does Tsagaglalal feel about immortality and why is she and Gilgamesh immortal?
7. Why does Virginia become angry at John Dee and how does he placate her?
8. What does Tsagaglalal tell Sophie about Josh and Sophie?
9. Who watches Aten talk with Death and what do the watchers plan?
10. What does Abraham give Scathach?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Though it is not a part of The Warlock, the readers are given enough information to learn that the twins were, up until a short time ago, ordinary teenagers in modern America. Discuss the following:
1. How do you think the twins have changed from who they were before Nicolas comes into their lives?
2. Why do you think Scott chooses young, ordinary teenagers to be the heroes/heroines in the series?
3. How would the book have been different if the twins were spoiled, rich kids?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of The Warlock, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in The Warlock. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The Warlock belongs to the fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fantasy genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a fantasy and a historical novel mystery?
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)