|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Perenelle say is very important?
2. What does Sophie need?
3. Who does Scathach scare away?
4. What does Machiavelli think will be John Dee's downfall?
5. Where are Odin, Hel and Black Hawk?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Virginia Dare tell Josh the purpose of the monsters is?
2. How do Sophie and Josh end up together and who do they meet?
3. Why is Mars Ultor worn out and who does he encounter?
4. What instructions does Tsagaglalal give Sophie concerning magic?
5. What do Machiavelli and Billy the Kid discuss about Virginia Dare?
6. What does Perenelle give Nicholas and what does she say as to why she revived Nicholas?
7. What does Scathach think about her sister Aoife?
8. Where are the Flamels, Niten and Prometheus and how is the Lotan conquered?
9. What does Sohpie learn when she reads her tablet from Abraham?
10. What is the effect of everyone reading their tablets and what does Tsagaglalal tell them about the fall of Danu Talis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Though it is not a part of The Warlock, the readers are given enough information to learn that the twins were, up until a short time ago, ordinary teenagers in modern America. Discuss the following:
1. How do you think the twins have changed from who they were before Nicolas comes into their lives?
2. Why do you think Scott chooses young, ordinary teenagers to be the heroes/heroines in the series?
3. How would the book have been different if the twins were spoiled, rich kids?
Essay Topic 2
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of The Warlock and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Warlock is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in The Warlock. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in The Warlock. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in The Warlock. Consider the death of Mike as an random act of nature and the death of Luis as the result of conscious violence. Consider also in your answer the death of innocence in Rick from the beginning of the book to the end.
This section contains 1,196 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)