|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Clarent influence Josh?
2. Who steps in to stop Mars?
3. What does Abraham say about Scathach's sister?
4. Whose voice is heard on the vimana's communication system?
5. What does Nereus ask?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Niccolo and Billy the Kid when they protest the release of the monsters?
2. Where do Black Hawk, Mars, Odin and Hel go and what is their plan?
3. What does Aten choose to do despite the consequences?
4. What does Perenelle give Nicholas and what does she say as to why she revived Nicholas?
5. What does Abraham give Scathach?
6. Where are the Flamels, Niten and Prometheus and how is the Lotan conquered?
7. How does Tsagaglalal feel about immortality and why is she and Gilgamesh immortal?
8. Where does the Lotan come from and what does Dee do with it?
9. What happens when Prometheus and Niten come into the room where Perenelle is reviving Nicholas?
10. What does Virginia Dare tell Josh the purpose of the monsters is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in The Warlock? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in The Warlock including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from The Warlock and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Rick and Lon. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Lon and Nuke. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in Warlock help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in The Warlock. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in The Warlock. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in The Warlock. Consider the death of Mike as an random act of nature and the death of Luis as the result of conscious violence. Consider also in your answer the death of innocence in Rick from the beginning of the book to the end.
This section contains 1,119 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)