|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dee do to Billy the Kid?
2. How does Clarent influence Josh?
3. For how long has Abraham followed Sophie's ancestry?
4. What is Perenelle's reason for giving Nicholas part of her aura?
5. Where is Prometheus taking the former prisoners?
Short Essay Questions
1. What instructions does Tsagaglalal give Sophie concerning magic?
2. Where does Sophie go to think and who is waiting for her?
3. What happens to Niccolo and Billy the Kid when they protest the release of the monsters?
4. What does Sohpie learn when she reads her tablet from Abraham?
5. Where is Marethyu taken and what happens while he is there?
6. Who watches Aten talk with Death and what do the watchers plan?
7. What does Scathach watch from the mouth of the cave?
8. Why does Virginia become angry at John Dee and how does he placate her?
9. What does Tsagaglalal tell Sophie about Josh and Sophie?
10. What do Machiavelli and Billy the Kid discuss about Virginia Dare?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think The Warlock is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in The Warlock? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in The Warlock including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from The Warlock and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of The Warlock, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in The Warlock. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,164 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)