|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Perenelle explain to Nicholas?
2. Why does Tsagaglalal gather everyone around her?
3. What does Tsagaglalal say she created?
4. What is Perenelle's reason for giving Nicholas part of her aura?
5. What does Abraham say about Scathach's sister?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Machiavelli and Billy the Kid discuss about Virginia Dare?
2. What does Scathach think about her sister Aoife?
3. What instructions does Tsagaglalal give Sophie concerning magic?
4. Who is at the party at Tsagaglalal's house and why do they get along?
5. Where does Sophie go to think and who is waiting for her?
6. What fight does Tsagaglalal intervene in and what does she tell the fighters?
7. Why does Virginia become angry at John Dee and how does he placate her?
8. Where are the Flamels, Niten and Prometheus and how is the Lotan conquered?
9. Where do Black Hawk, Mars, Odin and Hel go and what is their plan?
10. What does Tsagaglalal tell Sophie about Josh and Sophie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Rick and Lon. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Lon and Nuke. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in Warlock help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think The Warlock is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of The Warlock, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in The Warlock. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,225 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)