|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Odin, Hel and Black Hawk's common enemy?
2. Who is enjoying a party?
3. Why does Dee find Machiavelli's statement humorous?
4. What does the Book of the Dead spell do to the creatures when John Dee uses it?
5. What does Prometheus show off to the others?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Scathach watch from the mouth of the cave?
2. Where is Marethyu taken and what happens while he is there?
3. How does Tsagaglalal feel about immortality and why is she and Gilgamesh immortal?
4. Where are the Flamels, Niten and Prometheus and how is the Lotan conquered?
5. What does Perenelle give Nicholas and what does she say as to why she revived Nicholas?
6. Who watches Aten talk with Death and what do the watchers plan?
7. Where does Sophie go to think and who is waiting for her?
8. Where are the former prisoners in Chapter 49 and what is Prometheus doing?
9. Why does Virginia become angry at John Dee and how does he placate her?
10. Where does the Lotan come from and what does Dee do with it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Michael Scott.
2. What in Scott's background may have helped him in writing The Warlock? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an important part of what makes The Warlock interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Rick. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Mrs. Fisher. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Erik. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think The Warlock is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
This section contains 1,151 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)