|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tsagaglalal say she created?
2. Who is worn out from his trip?
3. What happens when Sophie thinks about wanting to talk with Josh?
4. What does Sophie need?
5. Who does Scathach scare away?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is at the party at Tsagaglalal's house and why do they get along?
2. What happens when Prometheus and Niten come into the room where Perenelle is reviving Nicholas?
3. What instructions does Tsagaglalal give Sophie concerning magic?
4. Why is Mars Ultor worn out and who does he encounter?
5. What do Machiavelli and Billy the Kid discuss about Virginia Dare?
6. What does Abraham give Scathach?
7. Where does the Lotan come from and what does Dee do with it?
8. Who watches Aten talk with Death and what do the watchers plan?
9. What does Perenelle give Nicholas and what does she say as to why she revived Nicholas?
10. What fight does Tsagaglalal intervene in and what does she tell the fighters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in The Warlock? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in The Warlock including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from The Warlock and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Though it is not a part of The Warlock, the readers are given enough information to learn that the twins were, up until a short time ago, ordinary teenagers in modern America. Discuss the following:
1. How do you think the twins have changed from who they were before Nicolas comes into their lives?
2. Why do you think Scott chooses young, ordinary teenagers to be the heroes/heroines in the series?
3. How would the book have been different if the twins were spoiled, rich kids?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in The Warlock. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Scott chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Scott chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Scott's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Scott use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)