|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sophie not want the other women to know?
2. What choice will Sophie have to make?
3. What is Perenelle's reason for giving Nicholas part of her aura?
4. Who is enjoying a party?
5. What does Virginia say Billy the Kid deserves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Abraham give Scathach?
2. Where does the Lotan come from and what does Dee do with it?
3. Where is Marethyu taken and what happens while he is there?
4. Why is Mars Ultor worn out and who does he encounter?
5. Where are the Flamels, Niten and Prometheus and how is the Lotan conquered?
6. What does Sohpie learn when she reads her tablet from Abraham?
7. What fight does Tsagaglalal intervene in and what does she tell the fighters?
8. What does Perenelle give Nicholas and what does she say as to why she revived Nicholas?
9. What does Scathach think about her sister Aoife?
10. Where does Sophie go to think and who is waiting for her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Warlock belongs to the fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fantasy genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a fantasy and a historical novel mystery?
Essay Topic 2
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Michael Scott.
2. What in Scott's background may have helped him in writing The Warlock? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in The Warlock.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of The Warlock. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of The Warlock. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 1,120 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)