|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has kept Mars safe?
2. What does Dee tell Josh to do?
3. Why did Virginia go overboard earlier?
4. How does Perenelle feel about Nicholas dying?
5. What couple enters where the Anpu are?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conversation that takes place among Machiavelli, Billy the Kid and Nereus.
2. How does Dr. John Dee change Josh and why?
3. Where are Sophie and Niten escaping from and why is Sophie upset?
4. What does Sophie at first believe when she wakes in her aunt's house and what does she do when she realizes otherwise?
5. How does Sophie feel about Perenelle using Sophie's aura, and what does Sophie decide?
6. What happens to the group on Danu Talis?
7. Who is in a glass tower and what does he tell his visitor?
8. How does Sophie feel about Perenelle and what does Perenelle tell Sophie?
9. About what do Machiavelli and Billy the Kid feel conflicted?
10. Who do Dee and Dare notice following and what happens to make Dee change his plans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Though it is not a part of The Warlock, the readers are given enough information to learn that the twins were, up until a short time ago, ordinary teenagers in modern America. Discuss the following:
1. How do you think the twins have changed from who they were before Nicolas comes into their lives?
2. Why do you think Scott chooses young, ordinary teenagers to be the heroes/heroines in the series?
3. How would the book have been different if the twins were spoiled, rich kids?
Essay Topic 2
Whenever reading a science fiction or fantasy novel, one must become familiar with new terminology that explains concepts or ideas that are not a part of the "real" world. In the case of The Warlock, much of the setting may seem familiar to the reader (i.e. there are woods, mountains, rivers, oceans, etc), though there are new ideas and terms to learn. Discuss the following:
1. Find five terms that are a part of the world of The Warlock that occur in the "real" world but are used differently in The Warlock.
2. Define the words as used in in The Warlock world and compare those five words as to how they are currently used in the American English language.
3. There are ways of learning about a new world or time when reading a science fiction or fantasy novel. Discuss the ways you were able to understand the world of The Warlock. Did you have to look up any words? What does it mean to learn a word through its context? Do you have to do that in The Warlock? What word(s)?
4. Were there any words you never really understood from The Warlock? Which ones?
Essay Topic 3
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think The Warlock is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)