Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Into what had Dee changed Josh?
2. Why does Perenelle ask to be alone with Nicholas along with Sophie and Tsagaglalal?
3. Where does the couple appear?
4. What does the time where Scathach, Joan of Arc, Saint-Germain, Palamedes, and William Shakespeare now are precede?
5. What do the teens plan to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Perenelle try to do as they are riding in the Jeep and what does she know about her and husband?
2. How does Sophie feel about Perenelle using Sophie's aura, and what does Sophie decide?
3. What happens to Coatlicue just after John Dee brings her into the world?
4. Describe the conversation that takes place among Machiavelli, Billy the Kid and Nereus.
5. Where is Niten taking Sophie and what does he tell her?
6. What does Abraham give Scathach?
7. What happens to the group on Danu Talis?
8. What does Virginia Dare tell Josh the purpose of the monsters is?
9. How does Sophie feel about Perenelle and what does Perenelle tell Sophie?
10. Where does Sophie go to think and who is waiting for her?
Essay Topic 1
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of The Warlock and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Warlock is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The Warlock is one book in a series of novels involving Nicholas and the twins. Discuss the following.
1. What are a couple advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are a couple disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in The Warlock.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of The Warlock. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of The Warlock. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)