|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abraham say after hearing the news Prometheus brings?
2. Who does Aoife drag into the shadowland?
3. Who do two teens watch walk past them?
4. Where is Josh going?
5. Who are the Sack Men following?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the author of the Prologue and what does she say about Nicholas Flamel?
2. How are Anubis and Aten experiencing the change?
3. What does Scathach think about her sister Aoife?
4. Describe the conversation that takes place among Machiavelli, Billy the Kid and Nereus.
5. What is Marethyu showing Scathach and the others and why are they confused?
6. What does Tsagaglalal tell Sophie about Josh and Sophie?
7. Why is Mars Ultor worn out and who does he encounter?
8. Who is at the party at Tsagaglalal's house and why do they get along?
9. How does Sophie feel about Perenelle and what does Perenelle tell Sophie?
10. About what do Machiavelli and Billy the Kid feel conflicted?
Essay Topic 1
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as The Warlock help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading The Warlock? Why or why not?
3. Choose one specific incident in The Warlock to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 2
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think The Warlock is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in The Warlock. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Scott chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Scott chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Scott's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Scott use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
This section contains 1,133 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)