|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Sophie reluctant to join Perenelle and Tsagaglalal?
2. What does Dee not know about the Codex?
3. Who is experiencing the change along with Aten?
4. Who does Aoife drag into the shadowland?
5. Where is Sophie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where are Dee, Dare and Josh headed and how does Dare handle their pursuers?
2. Describe the conversation that takes place among Machiavelli, Billy the Kid and Nereus.
3. What happens after Sophie becomes aware of the scent of Jasmine?
4. How does Sophie feel about Perenelle using Sophie's aura, and what does Sophie decide?
5. What happens to the police officers outside a building which Dee and Virginia approach and how do Dee, Dare and Josh feel about it?
6. What happens to two teenaged hoods who approach a seemingly harmless drunk?
7. Who is following Odin and what transpires between them?
8. What significant choice does Josh make?
9. What does Dee tell Josh to do on their way to Alcatraz and how do Josh's memories help him in this task?
10. What happens to the group on Danu Talis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in The Warlock. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Scott chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Scott chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Scott's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Scott use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 2
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think The Warlock is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Rick and Lon. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Lon and Nuke. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in Warlock help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
This section contains 1,238 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)