|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Aoife drag into the shadowland?
2. Where does the couple appear?
3. To whom does Machiavelli introduce Billy the Kid?
4. About what does Scathach think?
5. Whose head is becoming a jackal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Zephaniah spot in Paris and what does she consider them?
2. Where is Niten taking Sophie and what does he tell her?
3. How does Dr. John Dee change Josh and why?
4. What does Perenelle try to do as they are riding in the Jeep and what does she know about her and husband?
5. How does Sophie feel about Perenelle and what does Perenelle tell Sophie?
6. Where is Promotheseus driving a Jeep and why is he weak?
7. What is Nicholas Flamel's condition and what does Perenelle want to do?
8. What does Scathach contemplate in their volcanic prison, and what does Joan of Arc feel?
9. What significant choice does Josh make?
10. Why does Abraham create the book and what part is Mars supposed to play in the upcoming confrontation with John Dee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Though it is not a part of The Warlock, the readers are given enough information to learn that the twins were, up until a short time ago, ordinary teenagers in modern America. Discuss the following:
1. How do you think the twins have changed from who they were before Nicolas comes into their lives?
2. Why do you think Scott chooses young, ordinary teenagers to be the heroes/heroines in the series?
3. How would the book have been different if the twins were spoiled, rich kids?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in The Warlock.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of The Warlock. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of The Warlock. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think The Warlock is? Explain your response.
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)