|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Josh like Machiavelli better than John Dee?
2. What is weakened helping the Flamels track Josh?
3. Who does Perenelle try to calm?
4. What does Scathach feel about this new prison?
5. What does Tsagaglalal bring over for their ritual?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to two teenaged hoods who approach a seemingly harmless drunk?
2. Describe the conversation that takes place among Machiavelli, Billy the Kid and Nereus.
3. What does Dee tell Josh to do on their way to Alcatraz and how do Josh's memories help him in this task?
4. Who is in a glass tower and what does he tell his visitor?
5. Why is Prometheusus upset and about what does he agree with Scathach?
6. Who does Zephaniah spot in Paris and what does she consider them?
7. Who is following Odin and what transpires between them?
8. What is Marethyu showing Scathach and the others and why are they confused?
9. What happens to the police officers outside a building which Dee and Virginia approach and how do Dee, Dare and Josh feel about it?
10. What happens to Coatlicue just after John Dee brings her into the world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Michael Scott.
2. What in Scott's background may have helped him in writing The Warlock? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Warlock based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if The Warlock is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider Warlock a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 3
The Warlock is one book in a series of novels involving Nicholas and the twins. Discuss the following.
1. What are a couple advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are a couple disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)