|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is experiencing the change along with Aten?
2. What are Anpu?
3. About what does Scathach think?
4. Where is Abraham the Mage?
5. Whose actions threaten every Shadowrealm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sophie at first believe when she wakes in her aunt's house and what does she do when she realizes otherwise?
2. What is Marethyu showing Scathach and the others and why are they confused?
3. How does Sophie feel about Perenelle using Sophie's aura, and what does Sophie decide?
4. Where are Dee, Dare and Josh headed and how does Dare handle their pursuers?
5. Who is in a glass tower and what does he tell his visitor?
6. What does Billy the Kid ask Josh and how does he come to think he may have an answer to the question?
7. Who is following Odin and what transpires between them?
8. How does Dr. John Dee change Josh and why?
9. Who do Dee and Dare notice following and what happens to make Dee change his plans?
10. Where are Sophie and Niten escaping from and why is Sophie upset?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in The Warlock.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of The Warlock. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of The Warlock. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of interesting questions raised by The Warlock. Questions that Scott most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Scott' agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Scott' probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Scott and see if/where his life may have influenced his writing.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of The Warlock, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in The Warlock. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)