|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is happening to Aten's body?
2. For what does Perenelle need Sophie and Tsagaglalal?
3. Who gives Marethyu information?
4. With whom is Sophie escaping?
5. Why does Aten want to protect the visitors?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Marethyu showing Scathach and the others and why are they confused?
2. Where is Niten taking Sophie and what does he tell her?
3. What does Dee tell Josh to do on their way to Alcatraz and how do Josh's memories help him in this task?
4. What happens after Sophie becomes aware of the scent of Jasmine?
5. What does Sophie at first believe when she wakes in her aunt's house and what does she do when she realizes otherwise?
6. What significant choice does Josh make?
7. Where is Promotheseus driving a Jeep and why is he weak?
8. Describe the conversation that takes place among Machiavelli, Billy the Kid and Nereus.
9. How are Anubis and Aten experiencing the change?
10. What happens to Coatlicue just after John Dee brings her into the world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of The Warlock and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Warlock is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The Warlock belongs to the fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fantasy genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a fantasy and a historical novel mystery?
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Rick and Lon. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Lon and Nuke. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in Warlock help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)