|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Josh trust more than the Flamels?
2. What happens to all Great Elders?
3. Why is Sophie reluctant to join Perenelle and Tsagaglalal?
4. How does Virginia Dare use her flute?
5. For how long does Perenelle want to revive Nicholas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where are Sophie and Niten escaping from and why is Sophie upset?
2. How does Sophie feel about Perenelle using Sophie's aura, and what does Sophie decide?
3. What happens to the group on Danu Talis?
4. What is Marethyu showing Scathach and the others and why are they confused?
5. About what do Machiavelli and Billy the Kid feel conflicted?
6. How are Anubis and Aten experiencing the change?
7. Who goes into Xibalba and what do they do?
8. Who is the author of the Prologue and what does she say about Nicholas Flamel?
9. Where are Dee, Dare and Josh headed and how does Dare handle their pursuers?
10. What happens to the police officers outside a building which Dee and Virginia approach and how do Dee, Dare and Josh feel about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in The Warlock.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of The Warlock. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of The Warlock. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in The Warlock. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in The Warlock. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in The Warlock. Consider the death of Mike as an random act of nature and the death of Luis as the result of conscious violence. Consider also in your answer the death of innocence in Rick from the beginning of the book to the end.
Essay Topic 3
The Warlock is one book in a series of novels involving Nicholas and the twins. Discuss the following.
1. What are a couple advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are a couple disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)