|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Nicholas and Perenelle's allies?
2. In what does Joan of Arc have faith?
3. Where is Sophie?
4. How does Virginia Dare use her flute?
5. Into what had Dee changed Josh?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dee tell Josh to do on their way to Alcatraz and how do Josh's memories help him in this task?
2. How are Anubis and Aten experiencing the change?
3. About what do Machiavelli and Billy the Kid feel conflicted?
4. What does Scathach contemplate in their volcanic prison, and what does Joan of Arc feel?
5. What significant choice does Josh make?
6. What does Sophie at first believe when she wakes in her aunt's house and what does she do when she realizes otherwise?
7. What happens to Coatlicue just after John Dee brings her into the world?
8. What does Perenelle try to do as they are riding in the Jeep and what does she know about her and husband?
9. Who is the author of the Prologue and what does she say about Nicholas Flamel?
10. Who does Zephaniah spot in Paris and what does she consider them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Warlock based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if The Warlock is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider Warlock a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 2
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think The Warlock is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in The Warlock.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of The Warlock. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of The Warlock. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)