|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Scathach recognize as belonging to the Anpu?
2. What are Anpu?
3. What happens to all Great Elders?
4. Where do the Anpu appear?
5. Where are Nicholas and Perenelle's allies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Niten taking Sophie and what does he tell her?
2. What happens to the police officers outside a building which Dee and Virginia approach and how do Dee, Dare and Josh feel about it?
3. Who goes into Xibalba and what do they do?
4. Why is Prometheusus upset and about what does he agree with Scathach?
5. Describe the conversation that takes place among Machiavelli, Billy the Kid and Nereus.
6. Who does Zephaniah spot in Paris and what does she consider them?
7. What is Nicholas Flamel's condition and what does Perenelle want to do?
8. What does Scathach contemplate in their volcanic prison, and what does Joan of Arc feel?
9. What does Billy the Kid ask Josh and how does he come to think he may have an answer to the question?
10. What happens after Sophie becomes aware of the scent of Jasmine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Warlock belongs to the fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fantasy genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a fantasy and a historical novel mystery?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Warlock based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if The Warlock is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider Warlock a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in The Warlock. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Scott chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Scott chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Scott's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Scott use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)