|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator describe Harding's usual mood?
2. Who does Anticant condemn harshly?
3. Who recommended that Bold buy a magazine by Sentiment?
4. How much is Harding's little cottage worth a year?
5. What is the last name of Tom, who works at a powerful newspaper?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Eleanor tells Mary that she cannot marry Bold?
2. Why does Harding feel he should leave for London as soon as possible?
3. Why does Grantly assume that Bold wants to drop the changes against Harding?
4. How does Harding respond when Sir Abraham asks him why is concerned for his reputation?
5. How does Grantly react when Harding tells him he will resign?
6. Why does Harding say he is going to London?
7. What is Grantly's idea for how Harding can remain employed?
8. How does Bold feel when he reads about Harding in a magazine called "The Almshouse"?
9. Why does Harding decide not to spend his second day in London in his hotel?
10. How does a magazine called "The Almshouse" portray Harding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore Harding's willingness to fight to give up his position as warden. Why does Harding suddenly decide to fight? How has he acted prior to this? What examples can you think of for times he did not fight for what he wanted? Why do you think he chooses this time to not let Grantly boss him around? Is it important that Grantly and Susan think he is being foolish? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Sir Abraham. What role does he serve in the novel? How do his views on morality shed light on Harding's moral conflict for the reader? Why do you think the author gives him such exaggerated characteristics?
Essay Topic 3
Looking at the ending of the story, why do you think the author gave his readers a mostly happy ending? Were you surprised by the ending? Who did not get a happy ending? Why do you think these characters did not get a happy ending? In what way was their situation different?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)