|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Harding says a second newspaper article that speaks badly of him will be read all the clergymen in what city?
2. Which character is friends with Tom?
3. Why does the narrator feel sorry for Sir Abraham's wife?
4. What does Harding plan to sell to pay his consultation fees?
5. The narrator says Eleanor is worthy of being the daughter of whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Grantly assume that Bold wants to drop the changes against Harding?
2. What is Harding's plan for he and Eleanor after the lawsuit is over?
3. How does Harding feel by the time he is about to meet Sir Abraham?
4. How does Harding respond when Sir Abraham asks him why is concerned for his reputation?
5. What happens when Eleanor tells Mary that she cannot marry Bold?
6. What happens to the beadsmen when their warden resigns?
7. Why does Bold suspect that he is to blame for the article in the newspaper that slanders Harding?
8. Why does Eleanor decide to visit Bold at the beginning of Chapter 11 "Iphigenia"?
9. Why does Sir Abraham think Harding has come to see him?
10. How does Bold react when he comes home and finds Eleanor there crying?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the relationship between Grantly and his father, the bishop. What roles do Grantly and his father play at the church? What roles do they seem to play in their families? How does the bishop seem to feel about his son? How does Grantly seem to feel about the bishop? Why do you think the bishop always lets his son take charge of situations?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the relationship between Harding and the bishop. Why do you think they are so close? How are they alike? How they different? How do they interact with each other? What role does the bishop play for Harding?
Essay Topic 3
Explore Eleanor's role in the novel. How does she help to drive the plot? What purpose does she serve for Harding? What about for Bold? What are her motives? What seems to be her main function in the novel?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)