Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who lays in bed at the beginning of Chapter 11, "Iphigenia"?
2. How is Sir Abraham described?
3. Why does the narrator, when addressing his female readers, say they do not understand Eleanor?
4. The same person who owns Crabtree Canonicorum also owns a hospitable villa on what lake?
5. What does Harding say is nice about his little cottage?
Essay Topic 1
Explore Eleanor's role in the novel. How does she help to drive the plot? What purpose does she serve for Harding? What about for Bold? What are her motives? What seems to be her main function in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the theme of mixed motives found in the book. Who in the novel seems to have mixed motives? Cite at least three characters who have mixed motives and explain what they are? What does the author seem to be saying about the nature of mankind by giving his characters mixed motives?
Essay Topic 3
Look at Harding's reasoning for giving up his position as warden. Why does he do this, even though Bold drops the lawsuit? Do you think he made the right decision? Why or why not?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)