|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Greek mythological character does Eleanor compare Harding to?
2. How long does Mary say Bold will be gone when Eleanor visits him?
3. Where do Harding and Eleanor move while waiting for their cottage to clear out?
4. Who tells Bold that Eleanor has come to see him?
5. Who is Bold out with when Eleanor goes to see him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Harding rush to find Sir Abraham as soon as he gets to London?
2. How does Bold feel when he reads about Harding in a magazine called "The Almshouse"?
3. How does Bold react when he comes home and finds Eleanor there crying?
4. Why does Harding say he is going to London?
5. How is Harding's resignation received, over all?
6. How does Harding respond when Sir Abraham asks him why is concerned for his reputation?
7. Why does Harding plan to sell his furniture when he resigns?
8. Why does Harding decide not to spend his second day in London in his hotel?
9. How does Grantly react when Harding tells him he will resign?
10. Why does Harding feel he should leave for London as soon as possible?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the use of foreshadowing in the novel. What instances of foreshadowing appear early in the novel? How do they eventually play out in the novel? What purpose do these hints from the author serve to the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the theme of mixed motives found in the book. Who in the novel seems to have mixed motives? Cite at least three characters who have mixed motives and explain what they are? What does the author seem to be saying about the nature of mankind by giving his characters mixed motives?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the author's use of Greek mythology in the novel. Where can you see references to it? Why do you think the author includes these references to ancient Greek mythology? Was is surprising to see these references in a book about the Christian church?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)