|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Bold that Eleanor has come to see him?
2. What is the name of the cottage Eleanor and Harding decide to live in?
3. How does Grantly pay his and Harding's legal fees?
4. Who does Harding want to see immediately when he arrives in London?
5. How much money does Grantly tell Harding he will have when he resigns?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore Eleanor's role in the novel. How does she help to drive the plot? What purpose does she serve for Harding? What about for Bold? What are her motives? What seems to be her main function in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the relationship between Harding and the bishop. Why do you think they are so close? How are they alike? How they different? How do they interact with each other? What role does the bishop play for Harding?
Essay Topic 3
Explore Harding's willingness to fight to give up his position as warden. Why does Harding suddenly decide to fight? How has he acted prior to this? What examples can you think of for times he did not fight for what he wanted? Why do you think he chooses this time to not let Grantly boss him around? Is it important that Grantly and Susan think he is being foolish? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,155 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)