|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Anticant from?
2. Who says, "I am sure he loves you better than anything in the world."
3. Who does Harding want to see immediately when he arrives in London?
4. Who says, "Don't you know that their attorneys have noticed us that they have withdrawn the suit"?
5. What does Harding plan to sell to pay his consultation fees?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bold react when he comes home and finds Eleanor there crying?
2. Why does Eleanor decide to visit Bold at the beginning of Chapter 11 "Iphigenia"?
3. What does a second newspaper article say about Harding and the lawsuit against him?
4. What is Grantly's idea for how Harding can remain employed?
5. How is Harding's resignation received, over all?
6. What happens when Grantly tells Bold he cannot back out of the legal situation?
7. Why is Susan concerned about her father, Harding, resigning?
8. Why does Bold suspect that he is to blame for the article in the newspaper that slanders Harding?
9. What is Harding's plan for he and Eleanor after the lawsuit is over?
10. How does Harding respond when Sir Abraham asks him why is concerned for his reputation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the use of foreshadowing in the novel. What instances of foreshadowing appear early in the novel? How do they eventually play out in the novel? What purpose do these hints from the author serve to the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Looking at the ending of the story, why do you think the author gave his readers a mostly happy ending? Were you surprised by the ending? Who did not get a happy ending? Why do you think these characters did not get a happy ending? In what way was their situation different?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the motives of Harding and Grantly throughout the novel. What drives each one? Which one seems to be more moral? Why? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)