Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who lays in bed at the beginning of Chapter 11, "Iphigenia"?
2. How is Sir Abraham described?
3. Why does the narrator, when addressing his female readers, say they do not understand Eleanor?
4. The same person who owns Crabtree Canonicorum also owns a hospitable villa on what lake?
5. What does Harding say is nice about his little cottage?
Essay Topic 1
Look at the author's use of Greek mythology in the novel. Where can you see references to it? Why do you think the author includes these references to ancient Greek mythology? Was is surprising to see these references in a book about the Christian church?
Essay Topic 2
Look at Harding's reasoning for giving up his position as warden. Why does he do this, even though Bold drops the lawsuit? Do you think he made the right decision? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the relationship between John Bold and his sister Mary. Describe how Bold and Mary interact with each other. What sense do you get about their dynamic? Why do you think they have such a close relationship? What techniques does the author use to portray their closeness to the reader? Why do you think he presents a brother and sister who are five years apart with such a close relationship?
This section contains 264 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)