|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom show Bold that angers him?
2. How long does Harding wait for his appointment with Sir Abraham?
3. Where is Anticant from?
4. What color is Sir Abraham's hair?
5. About how old is Sir Abraham?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Harding's resignation received, over all?
2. How does Grantly react when Harding tells him he will resign?
3. Why is Susan concerned about her father, Harding, resigning?
4. How does Bold respond when Eleanor begs him to promise that he will stop the legal proceedings against her father?
5. What is Grantly's idea for how Harding can remain employed?
6. What is Harding's plan for he and Eleanor after the lawsuit is over?
7. Why does Grantly assume that Bold wants to drop the changes against Harding?
8. Why does Eleanor decide to visit Bold at the beginning of Chapter 11 "Iphigenia"?
9. What happens to the beadsmen when their warden resigns?
10. Why does Bold suspect that he is to blame for the article in the newspaper that slanders Harding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the relationship between Harding and the bishop. Why do you think they are so close? How are they alike? How they different? How do they interact with each other? What role does the bishop play for Harding?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the character of Anticant. Why is it important that Anticant cannot see anything other than "good" and "evil" within a person's motives? How does this relate to the novel as a whole? Who else in the novel seems to have trouble seeing any gray area when it comes to good and evil?
Essay Topic 3
Looking at the ending of the story, why do you think the author gave his readers a mostly happy ending? Were you surprised by the ending? Who did not get a happy ending? Why do you think these characters did not get a happy ending? In what way was their situation different?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)