|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anticant do for a living?
2. What time is it when Harding meets with Sir. Abraham?
3. How soon after his meeting with Sir Abraham does Harding go back home?
4. Who is Bold out with when Eleanor goes to see him?
5. Who recommended that Bold buy a magazine by Sentiment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Harding rush to find Sir Abraham as soon as he gets to London?
2. Why does Grantly assume that Bold wants to drop the changes against Harding?
3. Why does Bold leave angrily from his meeting with Tom?
4. Why does Sir Abraham think Harding has come to see him?
5. What happens when Grantly tells Bold he cannot back out of the legal situation?
6. How does a magazine called "The Almshouse" portray Harding?
7. What does a second newspaper article say about Harding and the lawsuit against him?
8. How does Harding feel by the time he is about to meet Sir Abraham?
9. Why does Bold suspect that he is to blame for the article in the newspaper that slanders Harding?
10. Why does Harding plan to sell his furniture when he resigns?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Looking at the ending of the story, why do you think the author gave his readers a mostly happy ending? Were you surprised by the ending? Who did not get a happy ending? Why do you think these characters did not get a happy ending? In what way was their situation different?
Essay Topic 2
Look at Harding's reasoning for giving up his position as warden. Why does he do this, even though Bold drops the lawsuit? Do you think he made the right decision? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the character of Anticant. Why is it important that Anticant cannot see anything other than "good" and "evil" within a person's motives? How does this relate to the novel as a whole? Who else in the novel seems to have trouble seeing any gray area when it comes to good and evil?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)