|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say will probably happen to Eleanor if she goes to visit Bold?
2. How much does Bold think dropping the lawsuit will cost?
3. What is Sentiment's first name?
4. How long does Mary say Bold will be gone when Eleanor visits him?
5. The narrator says Eleanor will receive sympathy from girls younger than what age?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sir Abraham think Harding has come to see him?
2. How does Bold respond when Eleanor begs him to promise that he will stop the legal proceedings against her father?
3. Why does Bold leave angrily from his meeting with Tom?
4. What happens when Eleanor tells Mary that she cannot marry Bold?
5. Why does Harding plan to sell his furniture when he resigns?
6. What happens to the beadsmen when their warden resigns?
7. Why does Eleanor decide to visit Bold at the beginning of Chapter 11 "Iphigenia"?
8. Why does Harding feel he should leave for London as soon as possible?
9. How does Grantly react when Harding tells him he will resign?
10. How is Harding's resignation received, over all?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the theme of mixed motives found in the book. Who in the novel seems to have mixed motives? Cite at least three characters who have mixed motives and explain what they are? What does the author seem to be saying about the nature of mankind by giving his characters mixed motives?
Essay Topic 2
Explore Eleanor's role in the novel. How does she help to drive the plot? What purpose does she serve for Harding? What about for Bold? What are her motives? What seems to be her main function in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the relationship between Harding and the bishop. Why do you think they are so close? How are they alike? How they different? How do they interact with each other? What role does the bishop play for Harding?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)