Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who lays in bed at the beginning of Chapter 11, "Iphigenia"?
2. How is Sir Abraham described?
3. Why does the narrator, when addressing his female readers, say they do not understand Eleanor?
4. The same person who owns Crabtree Canonicorum also owns a hospitable villa on what lake?
5. What does Harding say is nice about his little cottage?
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the articles about Harding in "The Jupiter" and the two magazines that harshly attack him? What can be learned about Harding by looking at these articles? What can be learned about him from his reaction to his bad press? What does the author seem to be saying about people and gossip?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Sir Abraham. What role does he serve in the novel? How do his views on morality shed light on Harding's moral conflict for the reader? Why do you think the author gives him such exaggerated characteristics?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the description of Grantly's home. How does the description paint Grantly? Why do you think the author chooses to show Grantly's true nature through a description of his home? Why do you think he does not just explain to the reader all of Grantly's characteristics?
This section contains 258 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)