|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who meets Harding at the train station when he goes home?
2. The same person who owns Crabtree Canonicorum also owns a hospitable villa on what lake?
3. Which character is friends with Tom?
4. Harding says a second newspaper article that speaks badly of him will be read all the clergymen in what city?
5. How much is Harding's little cottage worth a year?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Susan concerned about her father, Harding, resigning?
2. Why does Grantly assume that Bold wants to drop the changes against Harding?
3. How does Grantly react when Harding tells him he will resign?
4. Why does Sir Abraham think Harding has come to see him?
5. Why does Eleanor decide to visit Bold at the beginning of Chapter 11 "Iphigenia"?
6. How does Bold feel when he reads about Harding in a magazine called "The Almshouse"?
7. Why does Harding plan to sell his furniture when he resigns?
8. How does a magazine called "The Almshouse" portray Harding?
9. What happens when Grantly tells Bold he cannot back out of the legal situation?
10. Why does Harding rush to find Sir Abraham as soon as he gets to London?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore Bold's attempt at reforming the church and the hospital. What is Bold trying to accomplish with his reform? Why is he so concerned with Hiram's will? Why has he taken on the church? Why has he taken on Harding? How does Grantly feel about Bold's attempt at reform?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the use of foreshadowing in the novel. What instances of foreshadowing appear early in the novel? How do they eventually play out in the novel? What purpose do these hints from the author serve to the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the relationship between Harding and the bishop. Why do you think they are so close? How are they alike? How they different? How do they interact with each other? What role does the bishop play for Harding?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)