|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who meets Harding at the train station when he goes home?
2. In what country has Anticant spent most of his earlier days?
3. What is the last name of Tom, who works at a powerful newspaper?
4. Who is Bold out with when Eleanor goes to see him?
5. Harding says a second newspaper article that speaks badly of him will be read all the clergymen in what city?
Essay Topic 1
Look at Harding's reasoning for giving up his position as warden. Why does he do this, even though Bold drops the lawsuit? Do you think he made the right decision? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the use of foreshadowing in the novel. What instances of foreshadowing appear early in the novel? How do they eventually play out in the novel? What purpose do these hints from the author serve to the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the motives of Harding and Grantly throughout the novel. What drives each one? Which one seems to be more moral? Why? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,129 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)