|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who lays in bed at the beginning of Chapter 11, "Iphigenia"?
2. How is Sir Abraham described?
3. Why does the narrator, when addressing his female readers, say they do not understand Eleanor?
4. The same person who owns Crabtree Canonicorum also owns a hospitable villa on what lake?
5. What does Harding say is nice about his little cottage?
Essay Topic 1
Look at the relationship between Grantly and his father, the bishop. What roles do Grantly and his father play at the church? What roles do they seem to play in their families? How does the bishop seem to feel about his son? How does Grantly seem to feel about the bishop? Why do you think the bishop always lets his son take charge of situations?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the use of foreshadowing in the novel. What instances of foreshadowing appear early in the novel? How do they eventually play out in the novel? What purpose do these hints from the author serve to the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Looking at the ending of the story, why do you think the author gave his readers a mostly happy ending? Were you surprised by the ending? Who did not get a happy ending? Why do you think these characters did not get a happy ending? In what way was their situation different?
This section contains 1,148 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)