|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last name of Tom, who works at a powerful newspaper?
2. Who accompanied Grantly to London to find Harding?
3. Who meets Harding at the train station when he goes home?
4. How does Grantly pay his and Harding's legal fees?
5. What time is it when Harding meets with Sir. Abraham?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bold suspect that he is to blame for the article in the newspaper that slanders Harding?
2. Why does Bold leave angrily from his meeting with Tom?
3. What happens when Grantly tells Bold he cannot back out of the legal situation?
4. Why does Harding rush to find Sir Abraham as soon as he gets to London?
5. Why does Harding decide not to spend his second day in London in his hotel?
6. How does a magazine called "The Almshouse" portray Harding?
7. How is Harding's resignation received, over all?
8. How does Bold respond when Eleanor begs him to promise that he will stop the legal proceedings against her father?
9. How does Harding feel by the time he is about to meet Sir Abraham?
10. What is Harding's plan for he and Eleanor after the lawsuit is over?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the articles about Harding in "The Jupiter" and the two magazines that harshly attack him? What can be learned about Harding by looking at these articles? What can be learned about him from his reaction to his bad press? What does the author seem to be saying about people and gossip?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the motives of Harding and Grantly throughout the novel. What drives each one? Which one seems to be more moral? Why? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Sir Abraham. What role does he serve in the novel? How do his views on morality shed light on Harding's moral conflict for the reader? Why do you think the author gives him such exaggerated characteristics?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)