|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Harding wait for his appointment with Sir Abraham?
2. What do critics say Anticant cannot do?
3. What time is it when Harding gets back to his London hotel from meeting with Sir Abraham?
4. Who accompanied Grantly to London to find Harding?
5. In what country has Anticant spent most of his earlier days?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bold feel when he reads about Harding in a magazine called "The Almshouse"?
2. How does Bold react when he comes home and finds Eleanor there crying?
3. What happens when Eleanor tells Mary that she cannot marry Bold?
4. How does Harding feel by the time he is about to meet Sir Abraham?
5. What does a second newspaper article say about Harding and the lawsuit against him?
6. How does a magazine called "The Almshouse" portray Harding?
7. How does Harding respond when Sir Abraham asks him why is concerned for his reputation?
8. Why does Harding feel he should leave for London as soon as possible?
9. What is Grantly's idea for how Harding can remain employed?
10. What happens to the beadsmen when their warden resigns?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore Harding's willingness to fight to give up his position as warden. Why does Harding suddenly decide to fight? How has he acted prior to this? What examples can you think of for times he did not fight for what he wanted? Why do you think he chooses this time to not let Grantly boss him around? Is it important that Grantly and Susan think he is being foolish? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the character of Tom Towers. How is he portrayed? Why is the description of his office important? What does it say about him? Why is it important that his articles are written anonymously? What point is the author trying to make through the character traits and personality of Tom?
Essay Topic 3
Explore Bold's attempt at reforming the church and the hospital. What is Bold trying to accomplish with his reform? Why is he so concerned with Hiram's will? Why has he taken on the church? Why has he taken on Harding? How does Grantly feel about Bold's attempt at reform?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)