|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Greek mythological character does Eleanor compare Harding to?
2. The narrator says Eleanor will receive sympathy from girls younger than what age?
3. What do Harding and the beadsmen drink at his farewell gathering?
4. A second newspaper article published about Harding what the last of how many leaders in the paper?
5. Which character is friends with Tom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bold leave angrily from his meeting with Tom?
2. How does a magazine called "The Almshouse" portray Harding?
3. Why does Eleanor decide to visit Bold at the beginning of Chapter 11 "Iphigenia"?
4. How does Tom seem to feel about his position at the newspaper?
5. How does Harding feel by the time he is about to meet Sir Abraham?
6. What happens when Grantly tells Bold he cannot back out of the legal situation?
7. What is Grantly's idea for how Harding can remain employed?
8. What happens to the beadsmen when their warden resigns?
9. Why does Harding rush to find Sir Abraham as soon as he gets to London?
10. Why does Sir Abraham think Harding has come to see him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore Harding's willingness to fight to give up his position as warden. Why does Harding suddenly decide to fight? How has he acted prior to this? What examples can you think of for times he did not fight for what he wanted? Why do you think he chooses this time to not let Grantly boss him around? Is it important that Grantly and Susan think he is being foolish? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the relationship between John Bold and his sister Mary. Describe how Bold and Mary interact with each other. What sense do you get about their dynamic? Why do you think they have such a close relationship? What techniques does the author use to portray their closeness to the reader? Why do you think he presents a brother and sister who are five years apart with such a close relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Sir Abraham. What role does he serve in the novel? How do his views on morality shed light on Harding's moral conflict for the reader? Why do you think the author gives him such exaggerated characteristics?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)