|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Bold think dropping the lawsuit will cost?
2. When does Harding say he will resign from the old men's home?
3. How much money does Grantly tell Harding he will have when he resigns?
4. Why does the narrator feel sorry for Sir Abraham's wife?
5. What does Harding say is nice about his little cottage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Harding feel he should leave for London as soon as possible?
2. How is Harding's resignation received, over all?
3. Why does Harding rush to find Sir Abraham as soon as he gets to London?
4. How does Tom seem to feel about his position at the newspaper?
5. Why does Harding decide not to spend his second day in London in his hotel?
6. What does a second newspaper article say about Harding and the lawsuit against him?
7. How does Bold react when he comes home and finds Eleanor there crying?
8. What happens to the beadsmen when their warden resigns?
9. Why is Susan concerned about her father, Harding, resigning?
10. How does a magazine called "The Almshouse" portray Harding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Sir Abraham. What role does he serve in the novel? How do his views on morality shed light on Harding's moral conflict for the reader? Why do you think the author gives him such exaggerated characteristics?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the relationship between Grantly and his father, the bishop. What roles do Grantly and his father play at the church? What roles do they seem to play in their families? How does the bishop seem to feel about his son? How does Grantly seem to feel about the bishop? Why do you think the bishop always lets his son take charge of situations?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the author's use of Greek mythology in the novel. Where can you see references to it? Why do you think the author includes these references to ancient Greek mythology? Was is surprising to see these references in a book about the Christian church?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)