|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Harding not to write to the newspaper that publishes a story about the lawsuit against him?
2. Whose home is called Plumstead Episcopi?
3. According to Hiram's will, how many paid employees can the hospital have?
4. Who does Grantly worry will attempt to talk to Sir Abraham?
5. Who says, "Sir Abraham has given most minute attention to the case"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Eleanor reproaches Bold for being at odds with her father?
2. What advice does Grantly's wife give him that he refuses to listen to?
3. How does Harding react when Eleanor describes Bold as her enemy?
4. What happens when Bold and Mary receive their party invitations?
5. How does the charitable men's home manage its money?
6. How does a scandal erupt out of the legal battle between Harding and the beadsmen?
7. How do Harding and Grantly feel about Bold's attempts to create reform?
8. What does Grantly say when he confronts the beadsmen about taking legal action?
9. What does Harding do to make sure he does not become enemies with Bold?
10. Why is Eleanor not worried about seeing Bold when she goes to see Mary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the use of foreshadowing in the novel. What instances of foreshadowing appear early in the novel? How do they eventually play out in the novel? What purpose do these hints from the author serve to the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Explore Bold's attempt at reforming the church and the hospital. What is Bold trying to accomplish with his reform? Why is he so concerned with Hiram's will? Why has he taken on the church? Why has he taken on Harding? How does Grantly feel about Bold's attempt at reform?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the beadsmen and their willingness to turn on Harding. Why do so many of them sign the petition against him? What do they hope to achieve? How do they end up?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)