Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men lived in the home for old men when it first started?
2. Who says, "It's all your own fault, archdeacon"?
3. What is Dr. Grantly's first name?
4. Who is Grantly's lawyer?
5. What is the name of the beadsman who mutters "he didn't know" over and over?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bold leave angrily from his meeting with Tom?
2. What happens after Eleanor reproaches Bold for being at odds with her father?
3. What happens when Grantly tells Bold he cannot back out of the legal situation?
4. How does Grantly react when Harding tells him he will resign?
5. What is Harding's plan for he and Eleanor after the lawsuit is over?
6. Why is Harding hesitant to let Grantly take on Bold in a legal battle?
7. Why does Harding decide not to spend his second day in London in his hotel?
8. How does Bold react when he comes home and finds Eleanor there crying?
9. How is Harding's resignation received, over all?
10. What advice does Grantly's wife give him that he refuses to listen to?
Essay Topic 1
Look at the relationship between Grantly and his father, the bishop. What roles do Grantly and his father play at the church? What roles do they seem to play in their families? How does the bishop seem to feel about his son? How does Grantly seem to feel about the bishop? Why do you think the bishop always lets his son take charge of situations?
Essay Topic 2
Look at Harding's reasoning for giving up his position as warden. Why does he do this, even though Bold drops the lawsuit? Do you think he made the right decision? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the articles about Harding in "The Jupiter" and the two magazines that harshly attack him? What can be learned about Harding by looking at these articles? What can be learned about him from his reaction to his bad press? What does the author seem to be saying about people and gossip?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)