|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men lived in the home for old men when it first started?
2. Who says, "It's all your own fault, archdeacon"?
3. What is Dr. Grantly's first name?
4. Who is Grantly's lawyer?
5. What is the name of the beadsman who mutters "he didn't know" over and over?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bold leave angrily from his meeting with Tom?
2. What happens after Eleanor reproaches Bold for being at odds with her father?
3. What happens when Grantly tells Bold he cannot back out of the legal situation?
4. How does Grantly react when Harding tells him he will resign?
5. What is Harding's plan for he and Eleanor after the lawsuit is over?
6. Why is Harding hesitant to let Grantly take on Bold in a legal battle?
7. Why does Harding decide not to spend his second day in London in his hotel?
8. How does Bold react when he comes home and finds Eleanor there crying?
9. How is Harding's resignation received, over all?
10. What advice does Grantly's wife give him that he refuses to listen to?
Essay Topic 1
Explore the theme of mixed motives found in the book. Who in the novel seems to have mixed motives? Cite at least three characters who have mixed motives and explain what they are? What does the author seem to be saying about the nature of mankind by giving his characters mixed motives?
Essay Topic 2
Explore Eleanor's role in the novel. How does she help to drive the plot? What purpose does she serve for Harding? What about for Bold? What are her motives? What seems to be her main function in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the author's use of Greek mythology in the novel. Where can you see references to it? Why do you think the author includes these references to ancient Greek mythology? Was is surprising to see these references in a book about the Christian church?
This section contains 1,632 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)