|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sir Abraham's title?
2. Who says, "That's woman's logic all over, Mary"?
3. Who suggests that Harding write to the newspaper that publishes a story about the lawsuit against him?
4. Who would always say, "Well, well, Mr. Harding; you're too good, much too good"?
5. Where is the newspaper that publishes a story about the lawsuit against the warden located?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bunce react when he finds out that most of the beadsmen have already signed the petition saying that they deserve a much bigger share of the hospital's money?
2. What happens when Bold sees Eleanor after missing Harding's party?
3. How does a scandal erupt out of the legal battle between Harding and the beadsmen?
4. What happens when Bold and Mary receive their party invitations?
5. How does Harding react when he reads an article about himself in the newspaper?
6. What is Harding's relationship to the Bishop of Barchester?
7. How does Hiram's Hospital come to exist?
8. What do Grantly and the bishop tell Harding that Sir Abraham has said about their legal case?
9. How does the bishop react when Harding tells him that Bold, who might marry his daughter, is looking to take legal action against him?
10. What does Harding do to make sure he does not become enemies with Bold?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the articles about Harding in "The Jupiter" and the two magazines that harshly attack him? What can be learned about Harding by looking at these articles? What can be learned about him from his reaction to his bad press? What does the author seem to be saying about people and gossip?
Essay Topic 2
Explore Eleanor's role in the novel. How does she help to drive the plot? What purpose does she serve for Harding? What about for Bold? What are her motives? What seems to be her main function in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Sir Abraham. What role does he serve in the novel? How do his views on morality shed light on Harding's moral conflict for the reader? Why do you think the author gives him such exaggerated characteristics?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)