|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Harding asks Bold if who will ever get use of her limb again?
2. What is Sir Abraham's title?
3. What is Bold's occupation?
4. What is the name of the beadsman who fully supports Harding?
5. The beadsman who fully supports Harding holds what position at the old men's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Grantly say when he confronts the beadsmen about taking legal action?
2. How do Bold and the beadsmen feel when they read an article about Harding in the newspaper?
3. How does Hiram's Hospital come to exist?
4. Why does Harding tell Eleanor to go for a walk after he gets done visiting at the bishop's palace?
5. How do Grantly and his lawyer prepare for the possibility that the beadsmen will take legal action against Harding?
6. Why does Bold take issue with the charitable men's home?
7. What happens when Bold goes to visit Harding, hoping to demand a detailed statement of the hospital's accounts?
8. What is Harding's relationship to the Bishop of Barchester?
9. Why is Harding hesitant to let Grantly take on Bold in a legal battle?
10. How does a newspaper article describe Harding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore Eleanor's role in the novel. How does she help to drive the plot? What purpose does she serve for Harding? What about for Bold? What are her motives? What seems to be her main function in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the perspective used by the author for this novel. What kind of narrator does the reader get? Why do you think the author felt third-person was the best perspective for this novel? What is gained from this perspective? Do you feel like you missed out on anything by having a third-person narrator telling the story? How would the novel be different if it was written in first-person?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the relationship between Grantly and his father, the bishop. What roles do Grantly and his father play at the church? What roles do they seem to play in their families? How does the bishop seem to feel about his son? How does Grantly seem to feel about the bishop? Why do you think the bishop always lets his son take charge of situations?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)