|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Grantly's youngest daughter called?
2. It is well-known that Grantly always defends the side of what?
3. Who suggests that Harding write to the newspaper that publishes a story about the lawsuit against him?
4. Whose home is called Plumstead Episcopi?
5. How often does the newspaper that publishes a story about the lawsuit against the warden come out?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Bold and the beadsmen feel when they read an article about Harding in the newspaper?
2. What does Harding do to make sure he does not become enemies with Bold?
3. What happens after Eleanor reproaches Bold for being at odds with her father?
4. What happens when Bold goes to visit Harding, hoping to demand a detailed statement of the hospital's accounts?
5. How does a newspaper article describe Harding?
6. Why does Bold take issue with the charitable men's home?
7. What happens when Bold and Mary receive their party invitations?
8. Why does the narrator say he has made up the town of Barchester?
9. How do the inmates at the hospital react when they hear about reforms in other churches?
10. How does Bunce react when he finds out that most of the beadsmen have already signed the petition saying that they deserve a much bigger share of the hospital's money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the author's use of Greek mythology in the novel. Where can you see references to it? Why do you think the author includes these references to ancient Greek mythology? Was is surprising to see these references in a book about the Christian church?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the theme of mixed motives found in the book. Who in the novel seems to have mixed motives? Cite at least three characters who have mixed motives and explain what they are? What does the author seem to be saying about the nature of mankind by giving his characters mixed motives?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the relationship between Harding and the bishop. Why do you think they are so close? How are they alike? How they different? How do they interact with each other? What role does the bishop play for Harding?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)