|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much is Harding's little cottage worth a year?
(a) 120 pounds.
(b) 100 pounds.
(c) 60 pounds.
(d) 80 pounds.
2. Who dies at the end of Chapter 20, "Farewell"?
3. Where do Harding and Eleanor move while waiting for their cottage to clear out?
(a) In with the bishop.
(b) A church basement.
(c) A boarding house.
(d) In with Grantly.
4. What Greek mythological character does Eleanor compare Harding to?
5. What do Harding and the beadsmen drink at his farewell gathering?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character is friends with Tom?
2. Who says, " I want to ask you if you can oblige me in a certain matter"?
3. Where has Bold just returned from when Eleanor goes to see him?
4. Why does the narrator feel sorry for Sir Abraham's wife?
5. A second newspaper article that speaks badly of Harding asks why an old men's home needs what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Harding rush to find Sir Abraham as soon as he gets to London?
2. What happens when Grantly tells Bold he cannot back out of the legal situation?
3. Why does Harding feel he should leave for London as soon as possible?
4. How does Harding feel by the time he is about to meet Sir Abraham?
5. What happens when Eleanor tells Mary that she cannot marry Bold?
6. Why does Eleanor decide to visit Bold at the beginning of Chapter 11 "Iphigenia"?
7. How does a magazine called "The Almshouse" portray Harding?
8. Why does Harding plan to sell his furniture when he resigns?
9. Why is Susan concerned about her father, Harding, resigning?
10. What is Grantly's idea for how Harding can remain employed?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)