|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the saint of music that the narrator refers to in Chapter 5, "Dr. Grantly Visits the Hospital"?
(a) St. Faith.
(b) St. Cecilia.
(c) St. Helena.
2. What relation is Grantly to Harding?
3. What is Harding's first name?
4. What is Dr. Grantly's first name?
5. The narrator guesses Bold is how old?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the beadsman who mutters "he didn't know" over and over?
2. What is Grantly's youngest daughter called?
3. Who says, "Personal emnity! Going to do!"?
4. How many years older is Mary than Bold?
5. Grantly says a local newspaper has taken up a case against how many bishops?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator say he has made up the town of Barchester?
2. How does Hiram's Hospital come to exist?
3. How does Harding react when he reads an article about himself in the newspaper?
4. How do Bold and the beadsmen feel when they read an article about Harding in the newspaper?
5. How do Grantly and his lawyer prepare for the possibility that the beadsmen will take legal action against Harding?
6. What happens when Bold goes to visit Harding, hoping to demand a detailed statement of the hospital's accounts?
7. How does a newspaper article describe Harding?
8. How do Harding and Grantly feel about Bold's attempts to create reform?
9. What do Grantly and the bishop tell Harding when he asks what should be done about the slander the Jupiter published against him?
10. What does Grantly say when he confronts the beadsmen about taking legal action?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)