|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first name of the man who, centuries before the story opens, started a home for the old and destitute men of the city?
2. Who says, "For heaven's sake, don't let us have division in the camp."?
(b) The bishop.
3. Who does the narrator compare Bold to in Chapter 6?
(a) Judas Iscariot.
(c) Wang Jingwei.
(d) Guy Fawkes.
4. Who is the saint of music that the narrator refers to in Chapter 5, "Dr. Grantly Visits the Hospital"?
(b) St. Helena.
(c) St. Faith.
(d) St. Cecilia.
5. What is the name of the made up cathedral town where the story takes place?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the narrator describe as "a man somewhat shy of speaking of himself"?
2. What is the relationship between Harding and the bishop?
3. What is the last name of the beadsman named Jonathon?
4. Grantly says a local newspaper has taken up a case against the Dean of where?
5. Who is Bold's lawyer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Bold and Mary receive their party invitations?
2. What happens when Bold goes to visit Harding, hoping to demand a detailed statement of the hospital's accounts?
3. What is Harding's relationship to the Bishop of Barchester?
4. How does a scandal erupt out of the legal battle between Harding and the beadsmen?
5. What does Grantly do after he decides to nip the beadsmens' rebellion in the bud.
6. What does Grantly warn Harding that will happen if he gives up his position?
7. How do Harding and Grantly feel about Bold's attempts to create reform?
8. How does the bishop react when Harding tells him that Bold, who might marry his daughter, is looking to take legal action against him?
9. How does Hiram's Hospital come to exist?
10. Why does Harding tell Eleanor to go for a walk after he gets done visiting at the bishop's palace?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)