|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 41, what does Ada's mother say that the government wants her to pay for having her children evacuated?
2. In Chapter 24, what does Grimes set up for Ada and Butter to practice going over?
3. How many die in Chapter 23 when their battleship sinks?
4. In Chapter 34, what does the colonel serve Ada for tea when she joins him and Stephen?
5. In Chapter 41, where is the first place that the British attack on German soil?
Short Essay Questions
1. What arrangement does Ada make with Grimes to teach her to ride?
2. In Chapter 40, why does Ada become a hero?
3. How does Ada describe the ocean when she sees it in Chapter 22?
4. In Chapter 23, why does Susan tell Ada that the next time they go to the movies, they will wait in the lobby until the newsreel is over?
5. How do Ada, Jamie, and Susan decorate their Christmas tree?
6. How is Ada's birthday celebrated in Chapter 35?
7. Why does Lady Thorton pound on Susan's door in Chapter 36?
8. What is an Anderson shelter and how does Susan get one?
9. What does Ada see from the hill in Chapter 39?
10. In Chapter 36, how does Ada help the soldiers and who helps her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ada is very jumpy around Miss Smith, and she is terrified when she or Jamie do something wrong. Why does Ada act this way? What does this suggest about Ada to Miss Smith?
Essay Topic 2
When Ada breaks the sewing machine, she is terrified and goes to hide under a bed. How does Ada punish herself in that situation? How often does Ada use self-punishment for imagined wrongs that she does and why? How does she finally learn to deal with her mistakes without punishing herself?
Essay Topic 3
The title of the book indicates that the war saved Ada’s life. How did the war save Ada’s life?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)