|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What day does Ada begin working on a present for Susan in Chapter 30?
2. What does Ada do for Grimes in Chapter 24 in exchange for riding lessons?
3. In Chapter 32, when does rationing begin?
4. In Chapter 38, when is the first air raid?
5. Who helps Ada get water to the soldiers in Chapter 36?
Short Essay Questions
1. What arrangement does Ada make with Grimes to teach her to ride?
2. In Chapter 38, why does Ada not like the bomb shelter, and how does Susan try to help?
3. What do Jamie and Ada get in their Christmas stockings?
4. What happens to the "Royal Oak" in Chapter 23?
5. How does Ada describe the ocean when she sees it in Chapter 22?
6. How long does Ada wait for a response to the letter she writes her mother, and what response does she get in Chapter 34?
7. How is Ada greeted when she rides through the village in Chapter 32?
8. Why are the village children evacuated in Chapter 37?
9. What is the dress like that Susan makes for Ada for Christmas?
10. Why does Lady Thorton pound on Susan's door in Chapter 36?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Miss Smith says that there is a difference between lying and being a liar. What is the difference between lying and being a liar? Why is one acceptable and the other not?
Essay Topic 2
When Ada and Jamie first go to live in the country, Jamie wants to go home to London, but Ada does not. Why does Jamie want to go home and Ada does not? What do their feelings reveal about what home has been for them before moving to Susan’s home?
Essay Topic 3
Many chapters in the novel give a hint of an event to come. Do those hints cause suspense or are they spoilers that ruin the suspense of what is going to happen next? Why?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)