|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 25, what does Ada say that Susan has sewn on the sewing machine?
2. In Chapter 38, when is the first air raid?
3. How long has Grimes wife been dead?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 22, what does Ada see from a tall hill that she climbs with Butter?
5. What book does Margaret lend Ada in Chapter 32?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ada see from the hill in Chapter 39?
2. How is Ada's birthday celebrated in Chapter 35?
3. What does Susan make in Chapter 27 to help keep Ada's bad foot warm and dry?
4. How do Jamie, Ada, and Susan spend their nights in the shelter in Chapter 39?
5. What is the dress like that Susan makes for Ada for Christmas?
6. In Chapter 36, how does Ada help the soldiers and who helps her?
7. What do Jamie and Ada get in their Christmas stockings?
8. Why are the village children evacuated in Chapter 37?
9. How is Ada greeted when she rides through the village in Chapter 32?
10. How do Ada, Jamie, and Susan decorate their Christmas tree?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author tells the story from Ada’s point of view. How does telling the story from Ada’s point of view help develop Ada as a character and help readers identify with her and her struggles?
Essay Topic 2
Why has Ada spent her life in seclusion until she is evacuated, and how has the seclusion affected her development and her life?
Essay Topic 3
When Ada breaks the sewing machine, she is terrified and goes to hide under a bed. How does Ada punish herself in that situation? How often does Ada use self-punishment for imagined wrongs that she does and why? How does she finally learn to deal with her mistakes without punishing herself?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)