• In Chapter 1, Ada’s mother screams at her and hits her because Ada is at the window trying to talk to someone.
• Ada has a crippled foot, and her mother will not let her leave their apartment.
• While her mother is talking, Ada notices blood on the floor, and she slides over it to keep her mother from seeing it.
• Ada’s mother tells her to fix tea and make dinner.
• Ada says that her story starts in 1939, four years prior, when World War II began.
• Ada does not know much about Hitler or what is going on in the world.
• Ada’s brother now goes outside and plays.
• She hates being alone in the apartment, and she tries to make him stay with her.
• When he resists her efforts and cries, she decides she has to teach herself to walk.
• Ada hopes her mother will...
This section contains 9,808 words
(approx. 33 pages at 300 words per page)