|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the crew do to practice radio code?
(a) Ask for food by radio-code names.
(b) Have special radio-code conversations a half-hour a day.
(c) Make fake radio-code calls to each other.
(d) Call each other by abbreviated radio-code versions of their names.
2. In Sophie's story, how does the little kid feel when people say the kid's parents have gone to heaven, a wonderful place?
3. In his story about Rosalie, what does Uncle Dock trade for a boat rental?
(a) His fishing rod.
(b) His tackle box.
(c) His camera.
(d) His bicycle.
4. On Sophie's first night home, what food does her dad make?
(a) Barbequed chicken.
(b) Blackened catfish.
(c) Steak kabobs.
(d) Pork chops.
5. What does Sophie wish, as the travelers cross through Wales?
(a) That they would get to Bompie's quicker.
(b) That they could go home.
(c) That they would never see the sea again.
(d) That they would stop more.
6. How does Rosalie appear, when the travelers arrive at the house where she is?
7. During the storm, what kind of music does Sophie imagine should be playing?
(b) Hard rock.
8. What does Brian accuse Sophie of, when she's upset about the job she gets?
9. What does Uncle Dock say, when Cody asks if Sophie knows what happened to her parents?
(a) She must know at some level, but he doesn't know if she knows consciously.
(b) She doesn't know.
(c) She knows because she was there when it happened.
(d) She knows because she was told about it later.
10. Why does Uncle Stew order Cody to turn off the electrics?
(a) So they don't attract lightning.
(b) So they don't interfere with other ships.
(c) To lessen the danger from water that sloshes on deck.
(d) To save on power.
11. What does Sophie think, as the wave breaks over her and she is inside the water?
(a) The wave, oh, the wave!
(b) This is it, Sophie.
(c) Hold that breath, Sophie.
(d) Stay facing up, Sophie.
12. In the two-person watches at the beginning of the ocean voyages, who is Sophie on duty with?
(a) Uncle Stew.
(b) Uncle Dock.
(c) Uncle Mo.
13. When the winds pick up, what do the sailors do to the mainsail?
(a) They attach it to an additional sail.
(b) They let it out to make it bigger.
(c) They bring it down and replace it with a wind-sail.
(d) They tie it to make it smaller.
14. Who does Sophie overhear talking about Uncle Stew losing his job?
(a) Uncle Stew and Uncle Mo.
(b) Brian and Uncle Dock.
(c) Uncle Stew and Uncle Dock.
(d) Brian and Uncle Mo.
15. How does Cody contact the ship?
(a) Flag signals.
(b) Ham radio.
(c) VHF radio.
(d) UHF radio.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the gigantic wave that approaches behind the boat while Sophie is watching and Cody is at the wheel?
2. What does Uncle Stew do for a living?
3. Who ends up staying behind to start the repair work on The Wanderer?
4. After the wave hits, who pulls Sophie below the hatch?
5. What kind of knot does Cody learn from Sophie?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)