|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the destructive wave hits the boat, how does Cody say he feels?
(a) As if he's a part of the ocean.
(b) As if he's having a dream.
(c) As if he's watching a movie.
(d) As if he's in a prison.
2. Who ends up staying behind to start the repair work on The Wanderer?
(a) Uncle Dock.
(b) Uncle Stew.
(c) Uncle Mo.
(d) A hired man.
3. What do the voyagers conclude that the blips they're seeing on their radar are?
(b) Small boats.
(c) Wind funnels.
(d) Rain clouds.
4. What does the crew of The Wanderer do while they eat their food, after arriving on land?
(b) They sing a song.
(c) They talk wildly among themselves.
(d) They tell their story to strangers.
5. What is the difference between the wave in Sophie's dream and the wave that hit the boat?
(a) Its shape.
(b) Its size.
(c) Its color.
(d) Its texture.
6. What kind of knot does Cody learn from Sophie?
(a) A clove hitch.
(b) A double constrictor knot.
(c) An alpine coil.
(d) A power cinch.
7. What color blanket does the little kid lie down on in the story Sophie tells Cody?
8. Who keeps looking over Sophie's shoulder while she tries to write in her journal in the car?
(a) Uncle Mo.
(d) Uncle Stew.
9. How do the travelers get from Ireland to Wales?
(a) On a bridge.
(b) On a ferry.
(c) In a plane.
(d) Through a tunnel.
10. What does Uncle Dock say, when Cody asks if Sophie knows what happened to her parents?
(a) She knows because she was there when it happened.
(b) She doesn't know.
(c) She must know at some level, but he doesn't know if she knows consciously.
(d) She knows because she was told about it later.
11. On Sophie's first night home, what food does her dad make?
(a) Steak kabobs.
(b) Barbequed chicken.
(c) Blackened catfish.
(d) Pork chops.
12. What is Sophie doing that causes her to kneel on the deck just before she suddenly looks up and can't see anyone on deck?
(a) Repairing a leak.
(b) Examining a pump.
(c) Tying her shoe.
(d) Fastening a line.
13. Where does Cody sleep on his first night at Bompie's house?
(a) On a rollaway bed.
(b) On the couch.
(c) In a chair.
(d) On the floor.
14. What purpose do end knots serve?
(a) To secure lines to the mast.
(b) To stop lines from pulling away from the deck fastenings.
(c) To secure lines to each other.
(d) To stop lines from slipping through gromments.
15. What does Sophie do when she finally realizes that she's telling Bompie her own story?
(a) She faints.
(b) She starts to scream.
(c) She starts to cry.
(d) She runs out of the room.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the crew do to practice radio code?
2. In Sophie's story, what do Bompie and his father do after Bompie brings his father a pie?
3. During the storm, what kind of music does Sophie imagine should be playing?
4. Who does Bompie look like?
5. How fast are the winds?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)