|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sophie think, as the wave breaks over her and she is inside the water?
(a) This is it, Sophie.
(b) Hold that breath, Sophie.
(c) Stay facing up, Sophie.
(d) The wave, oh, the wave!
2. What does Brian say he felt like when the wave hit?
(a) A turnip in a soup-pot.
(b) A chicken in a meat market.
(c) A mouse trapped by a cat.
(d) Ice cream in a blender.
3. What job does Uncle Stew get?
(a) A job with a company that makes sail boats.
(b) A job with a company that charts the ocean's bottom.
(c) A job with a company that tracks fish populations.
(d) A job with a company that tracks ocean temperatures.
4. What level does Uncle Dock say the gale is?
5. What does Cody's dad say about dolphins?
(a) Too bad they're just fish.
(b) Makes you wish you were a fish.
(c) Makes you want to draw them.
(d) Crazy life for a mammal.
6. What breaks in the wind?
(a) The jib.
(b) The main boom.
(c) The spreader.
(d) The masthead.
7. What did Cody's dad ask him after getting off the phone with Cody's mother?
(a) Where's Sophie?
(b) Don't you have chores?
(c) What are you looking at?
(d) Want a pizza?
8. What does Uncle Dock injure in the wave?
(a) His arm.
(b) His back.
(c) His neck.
(d) His leg.
9. What do the crew do to practice radio code?
(a) Have special radio-code conversations a half-hour a day.
(b) Call each other by abbreviated radio-code versions of their names.
(c) Ask for food by radio-code names.
(d) Make fake radio-code calls to each other.
10. What job does Sophie always end up with in the windstorm?
(a) Bailing out the water.
(b) Managing the jib.
(c) Fastening the boom.
(d) Handling the helm.
11. During the storm, what kind of music does Sophie imagine should be playing?
(a) Hard rock.
12. What does Cody catch his father juggling, as the group starts out to sea?
13. What color is the gigantic wave that approaches behind the boat while Sophie is watching and Cody is at the wheel?
14. Who ends up staying behind to start the repair work on The Wanderer?
(a) Uncle Dock.
(b) Uncle Mo.
(c) Uncle Stew.
(d) A hired man.
15. What similarity does Brian notice and comment on among Sophie's Bompie stories?
(a) Bompie always gets into trouble in water.
(b) Bompie always disobeys his father.
(c) Bompie always creates conflict with other people.
(d) Bompie always tells the truth about his accidents.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who brings Bompie an apple pie?
2. After the wave hits, who pulls Sophie below the hatch?
3. What does Sophie do when she finally realizes that she's telling Bompie her own story?
4. Who decides to stay in England and take care of Bompie?
5. What name does Cody give the black bird that visits the boat?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)