|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Cody first thinks he spots land, what does it turn out to be?
(a) A fog bank.
(b) An iceberg.
(c) A ship.
(d) A cloud.
2. What do Brian and Sophie notice about the dolphins?
(a) They seem to trust the boat and its crew.
(b) They seem to want to investigate the boat and its crew.
(c) They seem afraid of the boat and its crew.
(d) They seem not to notice the boat and its crew.
3. Who does Sophie overhear talking about Uncle Stew losing his job?
(a) Uncle Stew and Uncle Mo.
(b) Brian and Uncle Dock.
(c) Uncle Stew and Uncle Dock.
(d) Brian and Uncle Mo.
4. Who is the one person who doesn't cry in the midst of the storm?
(c) Uncle Mo.
5. How does Cody contact the ship?
(a) UHF radio.
(b) Ham radio.
(c) VHF radio.
(d) Flag signals.
6. What does Brian call the little black bird?
(a) The storm bird.
(b) The omen bird.
(c) The orphan bird.
(d) The lonely bird.
7. When the winds pick up, what do the sailors do to the mainsail?
(a) They let it out to make it bigger.
(b) They tie it to make it smaller.
(c) They attach it to an additional sail.
(d) They bring it down and replace it with a wind-sail.
8. What does the crew of The Wanderer do while they eat their food, after arriving on land?
(b) They talk wildly among themselves.
(c) They tell their story to strangers.
(d) They sing a song.
9. The first night out on the ocean, what appears in the water around the boat?
(a) Phosphorescent plankton.
(b) A seaweed forest.
(c) Gulper eels.
(d) Sea turtles.
10. What kind of "life insurance" does Sophie imagine getting at the end of Chapter 33?
(a) Insurance that life will be happy.
(b) Insurance that life will be interesting.
(c) Insurance that life will be long.
(d) Insurance that life will be quiet and stable.
11. In the two-person watches at the beginning of the ocean voyages, who is Sophie on duty with?
(b) Uncle Dock.
(c) Uncle Stew.
(d) Uncle Mo.
12. What animals come to The Wanderer on its way out of the Bay of Fundy?
13. What does Sophie think, as the wave breaks over her and she is inside the water?
(a) Hold that breath, Sophie.
(b) The wave, oh, the wave!
(c) Stay facing up, Sophie.
(d) This is it, Sophie.
14. What does Brian say he felt like when the wave hit?
(a) A mouse trapped by a cat.
(b) A turnip in a soup-pot.
(c) Ice cream in a blender.
(d) A chicken in a meat market.
15. How do the travelers get from Ireland to Wales?
(a) On a ferry.
(b) In a plane.
(c) Through a tunnel.
(d) On a bridge.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Uncle Mo give his family as presents?
2. How fast are the winds?
3. What is the difference between the wave in Sophie's dream and the wave that hit the boat?
4. What similarity does Brian notice and comment on among Sophie's Bompie stories?
5. What does Uncle Dock say, when Cody asks if Sophie knows what happened to her parents?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)