|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What poem does Dock recite from, when the boat reaches sight of land?
(a) The Ocean's Song.
(b) Out of the Rolling Ocean, the Crowd.
(c) The ocean said to me once.
(d) The Rime of the Ancient Mariner.
2. When Cody first thinks he spots land, what does it turn out to be?
(a) A cloud.
(b) A fog bank.
(c) An iceberg.
(d) A ship.
3. Who gets into a fight, as the boat approaches land?
(a) Uncle Stew and Uncle Mo.
(b) Uncle Mo and Cody.
(c) Uncle Stew and Brian.
(d) Uncle Mo and Uncle Dock.
4. Where does the crew of The Wanderer go to get food once they arrive on land?
(a) To a pub.
(b) To a vending machine.
(c) To a fast-food drive-through.
(d) To a fancy restaurant.
5. Does Bompie remember the stories Sophie tells him?
(a) Yes, except for the parts about being in the water.
(b) Yes, he remembers everything Sophie recounts.
(c) No, he doesn't remember them at all.
(d) No, except for one story.
6. What do the voyagers conclude that the blips they're seeing on their radar are?
(a) Rain clouds.
(b) Wind funnels.
(c) Small boats.
7. What does Cody's dad say about dolphins?
(a) Too bad they're just fish.
(b) Makes you want to draw them.
(c) Makes you wish you were a fish.
(d) Crazy life for a mammal.
8. Who ends up staying behind to start the repair work on The Wanderer?
(a) A hired man.
(b) Uncle Stew.
(c) Uncle Dock.
(d) Uncle Mo.
9. What does Sophie do when she finally realizes that she's telling Bompie her own story?
(a) She faints.
(b) She runs out of the room.
(c) She starts to scream.
(d) She starts to cry.
10. What does Sophie think, as the wave breaks over her and she is inside the water?
(a) Hold that breath, Sophie.
(b) The wave, oh, the wave!
(c) Stay facing up, Sophie.
(d) This is it, Sophie.
11. What animals come to The Wanderer on its way out of the Bay of Fundy?
12. What does Uncle Mo give his family as presents?
13. What not-so-good news do the travelers get when they call home?
(a) They learn that a job prospect for Stew has fallen through.
(b) They learn that Sophie's parents have been frantic with worry.
(c) They learn that Bompie is unwell.
(d) They learn that Cody's mother is leaving his father.
14. What is the difference between the wave in Sophie's dream and the wave that hit the boat?
(a) Its color.
(b) Its texture.
(c) Its size.
(d) Its shape.
15. What job does Uncle Stew get?
(a) A job with a company that tracks fish populations.
(b) A job with a company that charts the ocean's bottom.
(c) A job with a company that makes sail boats.
(d) A job with a company that tracks ocean temperatures.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brian call the little black bird?
2. What similarity does Brian notice and comment on among Sophie's Bompie stories?
3. What type of ship does Cody contact?
4. Who does Bompie look like?
5. What does Brian insist Sophie is doing regarding her parents?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)