|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the voyagers conclude that the blips they're seeing on their radar are?
(a) Small boats.
(b) Rain clouds.
(d) Wind funnels.
2. What is the difference between the wave in Sophie's dream and the wave that hit the boat?
(a) Its texture.
(b) Its size.
(c) Its color.
(d) Its shape.
3. What job does Sophie always end up with in the windstorm?
(a) Fastening the boom.
(b) Bailing out the water.
(c) Managing the jib.
(d) Handling the helm.
4. Who decides to stay in England and take care of Bompie?
(a) Uncle Stew.
(b) Uncle Dock.
(c) Uncle Mo.
(d) Cody and Brian.
5. In the two-person watches at the beginning of the ocean voyages, who is Sophie on duty with?
(a) Uncle Mo.
(c) Uncle Stew.
(d) Uncle Dock.
6. When the winds pick up, what do the sailors do to the mainsail?
(a) They bring it down and replace it with a wind-sail.
(b) They tie it to make it smaller.
(c) They attach it to an additional sail.
(d) They let it out to make it bigger.
7. In Sophie's story, how does the little kid feel when people say the kid's parents have gone to heaven, a wonderful place?
8. What does Cody do after dreaming about Sophie's story about Bompie and his father?
(a) Cody goes up and sits on the deck, staring at the water.
(b) Cody wakes up his father.
(c) Cody wakes up Sophie.
(d) Cody gets up and wanders restlessly around the boat.
9. Who keeps looking over Sophie's shoulder while she tries to write in her journal in the car?
(c) Uncle Mo.
(d) Uncle Stew.
10. After the destructive wave hits the boat, how does Cody say he feels?
(a) As if he's a part of the ocean.
(b) As if he's in a prison.
(c) As if he's having a dream.
(d) As if he's watching a movie.
11. How many miles has The Wanderer traveled, at the beginning of Chapter 35?
(a) Around 1,800.
(b) Around 800.
(c) Around 1,300.
(d) Around 2,300.
12. What goes wrong with the boat's mainsail?
(a) Two gromments are torn out.
(b) A rip appears near the mast.
(c) It tangles with the lines.
(d) It breaks free from a line.
13. Where does Cody prefer to by during the storm?
(a) Up in the bosun's chair.
(b) Below deck, eating.
(c) Below deck, sleeping.
(d) On deck, trying to fix things.
14. In Dock's story about the little girl, who does the girl go to live with immediately after her parents die?
(a) Her grandfather.
(b) Her grandmother.
(c) A foster family.
(d) Her uncle.
15. What is the word for D in radio code?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cody tell his father, as the sail-less boat is whipped by the waves?
2. In his story about Rosalie, what does Uncle Dock trade for a boat rental?
3. What English landmark do the travelers sit near, on a bench while they eat?
4. What does the crew of The Wanderer do while they eat their food, after arriving on land?
5. What does Sophie compare the experience of the wave to?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)