|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Sophie keep waking up Cody?
(a) She can't sleep.
(b) She's having nightmares.
(c) She keeps asking questions.
(d) She wakes him for his shift on watch.
2. What does Uncle Stew do for a living?
(a) He sells insurance.
(b) He manages an apartment building.
(c) He is a medical assistant.
(d) He is an accountant.
3. What does Cody catch his father juggling, as the group starts out to sea?
4. What name does Cody give the black bird that visits the boat?
(a) Baby Doll.
(c) Little Peep.
5. After the destructive wave hits the boat, how does Cody say he feels?
(a) As if he's watching a movie.
(b) As if he's a part of the ocean.
(c) As if he's in a prison.
(d) As if he's having a dream.
6. The first night out on the ocean, what appears in the water around the boat?
(a) Phosphorescent plankton.
(b) A seaweed forest.
(c) Gulper eels.
(d) Sea turtles.
7. What does Uncle Dock injure in the wave?
(a) His neck.
(b) His arm.
(c) His back.
(d) His leg.
8. What does Brian call the little black bird?
(a) The lonely bird.
(b) The orphan bird.
(c) The omen bird.
(d) The storm bird.
9. Who gets into a fight, as the boat approaches land?
(a) Uncle Mo and Uncle Dock.
(b) Uncle Mo and Cody.
(c) Uncle Stew and Uncle Mo.
(d) Uncle Stew and Brian.
10. Who keeps looking over Sophie's shoulder while she tries to write in her journal in the car?
(b) Uncle Mo.
(c) Uncle Stew.
11. Where does Cody prefer to by during the storm?
(a) Below deck, sleeping.
(b) Below deck, eating.
(c) On deck, trying to fix things.
(d) Up in the bosun's chair.
12. What level does Uncle Dock say the gale is?
13. In Sophie's story, how does the little kid feel when people say the kid's parents have gone to heaven, a wonderful place?
14. What does Uncle Dock say, when Cody asks if Sophie knows what happened to her parents?
(a) She knows because she was told about it later.
(b) She knows because she was there when it happened.
(c) She doesn't know.
(d) She must know at some level, but he doesn't know if she knows consciously.
15. How fast are the winds?
(a) Sixty knots.
(b) Seventy knots.
(c) Fifty knots.
(d) Forty knots.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Uncle Mo give his family as presents?
2. How does Sophie sleep her first night on land?
3. What is the word for D in radio code?
4. What does Cody tell his father, as the sail-less boat is whipped by the waves?
5. How does Rosalie appear, when the travelers arrive at the house where she is?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)