|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of the GPS, ham radio, and radar, what is still working after the massive wave?
(a) The ham radio and radar.
(b) Only the ham radio.
(c) Only the radar.
(d) None of them.
2. In the two-person watches at the beginning of the ocean voyages, who is Sophie on duty with?
(b) Uncle Mo.
(c) Uncle Dock.
(d) Uncle Stew.
3. What do Brian and Sophie notice about the dolphins?
(a) They seem afraid of the boat and its crew.
(b) They seem not to notice the boat and its crew.
(c) They seem to want to investigate the boat and its crew.
(d) They seem to trust the boat and its crew.
4. How many miles has The Wanderer traveled, at the beginning of Chapter 35?
(a) Around 800.
(b) Around 2,300.
(c) Around 1,800.
(d) Around 1,300.
5. What is the trouble of the lone sailor the crew of The Wanderer talks to on the radio?
(a) He is having electrical trouble and needs to know his location.
(b) He is ill and needs someone to cheer him up.
(c) He is having mechanical problems and needs someone to call the Coast Guard.
(d) He is having leakage and needs advice.
6. Where does Cody prefer to by during the storm?
(a) Up in the bosun's chair.
(b) On deck, trying to fix things.
(c) Below deck, sleeping.
(d) Below deck, eating.
7. Does Bompie remember the stories Sophie tells him?
(a) No, he doesn't remember them at all.
(b) Yes, he remembers everything Sophie recounts.
(c) No, except for one story.
(d) Yes, except for the parts about being in the water.
8. When Cody first thinks he spots land, what does it turn out to be?
(a) A ship.
(b) A cloud.
(c) A fog bank.
(d) An iceberg.
9. What does Uncle Mo say that his job is?
10. How does Rosalie appear, when the travelers arrive at the house where she is?
11. What do the travelers eat on the bench near a London landmark?
(b) Hot dogs.
(c) Corn dogs.
12. What do the crew do to practice radio code?
(a) Make fake radio-code calls to each other.
(b) Call each other by abbreviated radio-code versions of their names.
(c) Ask for food by radio-code names.
(d) Have special radio-code conversations a half-hour a day.
13. What purpose do end knots serve?
(a) To stop lines from pulling away from the deck fastenings.
(b) To secure lines to each other.
(c) To secure lines to the mast.
(d) To stop lines from slipping through gromments.
14. What does Brian say he felt like when the wave hit?
(a) Ice cream in a blender.
(b) A turnip in a soup-pot.
(c) A mouse trapped by a cat.
(d) A chicken in a meat market.
15. The first night out on the ocean, what appears in the water around the boat?
(a) Gulper eels.
(b) Sea turtles.
(c) A seaweed forest.
(d) Phosphorescent plankton.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brian accuse Sophie of, when she's upset about the job she gets?
2. What job does Sophie always end up with in the windstorm?
3. Who decides to stay in England and take care of Bompie?
4. Who brings Bompie an apple pie?
5. What does Brian insist Sophie is doing regarding her parents?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)