|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sophie compare the experience of the wave to?
(a) Being born.
(b) Being a fish.
(c) Being in a washing machine.
(d) Being baptized.
2. What level does Uncle Dock say the gale is?
3. What do the crew do to practice radio code?
(a) Make fake radio-code calls to each other.
(b) Have special radio-code conversations a half-hour a day.
(c) Call each other by abbreviated radio-code versions of their names.
(d) Ask for food by radio-code names.
4. In Sophie's story, what do Bompie and his father do after Bompie brings his father a pie?
(a) They argue.
(b) They hug.
(c) They laugh.
(d) They cry.
5. What river do the travelers cross to get to England?
(a) The Dee River.
(b) The Avon River.
(c) The Wye River.
(d) The Severn River.
6. What is the difference between the wave in Sophie's dream and the wave that hit the boat?
(a) Its shape.
(b) Its color.
(c) Its texture.
(d) Its size.
7. In Sophie's story, how does Bompie get back to Kentucky after his visit to the ocean?
(a) He bicycles.
(b) He drives.
(c) He hitchhikes.
(d) He walks.
8. On Sophie's first night home, what food does her dad make?
(a) Steak kabobs.
(b) Blackened catfish.
(c) Pork chops.
(d) Barbequed chicken.
9. How do the travelers get from Ireland to Wales?
(a) On a ferry.
(b) In a plane.
(c) Through a tunnel.
(d) On a bridge.
10. What type of ship does Cody contact?
(a) A South American tanker.
(b) A French cargo ship.
(c) A Canadian warship.
(d) An American cruise ship.
11. In Sophie's story, where does Bompie go to see the ocean?
(b) South Carolina.
(c) New Jersey.
12. What does Uncle Dock say, when Cody asks if Sophie knows what happened to her parents?
(a) She doesn't know.
(b) She knows because she was told about it later.
(c) She must know at some level, but he doesn't know if she knows consciously.
(d) She knows because she was there when it happened.
13. What job does Uncle Stew get?
(a) A job with a company that charts the ocean's bottom.
(b) A job with a company that makes sail boats.
(c) A job with a company that tracks fish populations.
(d) A job with a company that tracks ocean temperatures.
14. During the storm, what kind of music does Sophie imagine should be playing?
(b) Hard rock.
15. Who gets into a fight, as the boat approaches land?
(a) Uncle Stew and Uncle Mo.
(b) Uncle Stew and Brian.
(c) Uncle Mo and Uncle Dock.
(d) Uncle Mo and Cody.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Uncle Dock injure in the wave?
2. What is the word for D in radio code?
3. What does Sophie think, as the wave breaks over her and she is inside the water?
4. What does Brian call the little black bird?
5. What color is the gigantic wave that approaches behind the boat while Sophie is watching and Cody is at the wheel?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)