|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Cody prefer to by during the storm?
(a) On deck, trying to fix things.
(b) Up in the bosun's chair.
(c) Below deck, sleeping.
(d) Below deck, eating.
2. What English landmark do the travelers sit near, on a bench while they eat?
(a) Old Bailey.
(b) Big Ben.
(c) St. Paul's Cathedral.
(d) Windsor Castle.
3. During the storm, what kind of music does Sophie imagine should be playing?
(d) Hard rock.
4. Who brings Bompie an apple pie?
(b) Uncle Dock.
(c) Uncle Stew.
(d) Uncle Mo.
5. What do the voyagers conclude that the blips they're seeing on their radar are?
(a) Small boats.
(c) Wind funnels.
(d) Rain clouds.
6. What job does Uncle Stew get?
(a) A job with a company that tracks ocean temperatures.
(b) A job with a company that charts the ocean's bottom.
(c) A job with a company that makes sail boats.
(d) A job with a company that tracks fish populations.
7. How fast are the winds?
(a) Fifty knots.
(b) Forty knots.
(c) Sixty knots.
(d) Seventy knots.
8. What does Brian say he felt like when the wave hit?
(a) A turnip in a soup-pot.
(b) Ice cream in a blender.
(c) A chicken in a meat market.
(d) A mouse trapped by a cat.
9. What does the crew of The Wanderer do while they eat their food, after arriving on land?
(b) They talk wildly among themselves.
(c) They sing a song.
(d) They tell their story to strangers.
10. What color is the gigantic wave that approaches behind the boat while Sophie is watching and Cody is at the wheel?
11. What does Cody do after dreaming about Sophie's story about Bompie and his father?
(a) Cody gets up and wanders restlessly around the boat.
(b) Cody wakes up his father.
(c) Cody goes up and sits on the deck, staring at the water.
(d) Cody wakes up Sophie.
12. In the two-person watches at the beginning of the ocean voyages, who is Sophie on duty with?
(b) Uncle Dock.
(c) Uncle Mo.
(d) Uncle Stew.
13. What poem does Dock recite from, when the boat reaches sight of land?
(a) Out of the Rolling Ocean, the Crowd.
(b) The ocean said to me once.
(c) The Rime of the Ancient Mariner.
(d) The Ocean's Song.
14. Where does Cody sleep on his first night at Bompie's house?
(a) In a chair.
(b) On a rollaway bed.
(c) On the floor.
(d) On the couch.
15. The first night out on the ocean, what appears in the water around the boat?
(a) Gulper eels.
(b) Sea turtles.
(c) Phosphorescent plankton.
(d) A seaweed forest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Uncle Dock say, when Cody asks if Sophie knows what happened to her parents?
2. What does Brian accuse Sophie of, when she's upset about the job she gets?
3. What does Brian insist Sophie is doing regarding her parents?
4. How does Rosalie appear, when the travelers arrive at the house where she is?
5. What not-so-good news do the travelers get when they call home?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)