|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Robert think is a fairy tale for those who choose to not know better?
2. Why do the Narrator and Robert have to leave the cafe near the Kurfürstendamm?
3. Who did Pommerer's family fear would rape them?
4. Where does Bolle erect his device to preach war against the Wall?
5. When was Bolle ransomed by the BRD?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pommerer observe about the DDR leadership and the reconstruction of East Berlin?
2. Why does Gartenschläger attempt to get a self-triggering robot?
3. What does Robert observe about capitalism when he goes to check car models with the Narrator?
4. How do Pommerer and the Narrator differ on their views of East and West German workers?
5. Describe the Narrator's experience at the border with the guards and the man with the dog.
6. What is Bolle's ultimate fate after he double crosses both intelligence sides?
7. What are Lena's relationships with men prior to meeting the Narrator?
8. When the leather-bound storyteller is found to have graffiti, how does he extricate himself from the clutches of the DDR?
9. What first attracts the Narrator to Lena?
10. What are some decadent pleasures that the Narrator enjoys in West Berlin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Journalism and media reporting are important for the spread of information in "The Wall Jumper". Can the media report without bias? Choose 1-2 examples and show where the media reveals a bias. How is this similar or different to the viewpoint of the Narrator?
Essay Topic 2
What is the function of graffiti in "The Wall Jumper"? What does graffiti say about the German socialist system in East Berlin? What does it say about the German capitalist system in West Berlin?
Essay Topic 3
The two belief systems of capitalism and socialism are pitted against each other frequently in "The Wall Jumper". Identify examples of each. In what ways is the Narrator attracted to the capitalist system versus the socialist system and vice-versa? Is it surprising that people jump the Wall on both sides? Discuss in relation to the stories shared by the Narrator and Pommerer.
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)