Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pommerer fear that his phone troubles are linked to?
2. Who hires Bolle as a full-time agent after he presents photographs and data from the BRD?
3. How do the Western and Stasi superiors differ according to Bolle?
4. Who arrives to distribute food and supplies in 1945 where the Narrator resides?
5. When is the best time to cross the border at Heinrich Heine Strasse?
Essay Topic 1
Schneider powerfully portrays the theme of mental conditioning in Berlin. West Berlin residents consider themselves superior to their neighbors in the East. How are the Germans conditioned? What do they believe? What are they afraid of? Examine this theme in relationship to the quote by Schneider, "Where does the state end and the self begin? How far are we conditioned by the place we are born in?"
Essay Topic 2
One of the main themes in the book is ethical and social responsibility. List at least four examples where Schneider employs this specific theme. Is the battle between making ethical choices obvious or subtle? What characters are involved in this kind of battle? Do you think the right person or group won? Does good always triumph over evil in the case of "The Wall Jumper" ethics? Where do these definitions appear vague or incomprehensible?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did Schneider mean by calling the book "The Wall Jumper"? Cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)