|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Pommerer's family fear would rape them?
2. Who is the co-worker that was found to have Western currency in his apartment and later is declared to be insane?
3. Where is Gartenschläger killed?
4. Who seduces Lena but abandons her?
5. Who does the Narrator see in a long gown in his apartment building?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference in the experiences that Pommerer and the Narrator have in 1945 with the Russians and Americans respectively?
2. How is Gartenschläger caught and killed?
3. How does Bolle become an agent for the Stasi?
4. What are Lena's relationships with men prior to meeting the Narrator?
5. What does a stranger warn Robert and the Narrator about in the cafe and what happens subsequently?
6. Why does Gartenschläger attempt to get a self-triggering robot?
7. What amazes the Narrator about his cousin's behavior in Dresden?
8. What is Bolle's ultimate fate after he double crosses both intelligence sides?
9. What is the similarity in the news reporting of the strike in Poland that both Pommerer and the Narrator observe?
10. Describe the Narrator's first encounter with Frieda in his apartment building.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Wall Jumper" is written primarily in the first-person point of view of the Narrator. Is this point of view more or less effective than telling the story from the third-persona and omniscient perspective?
Essay Topic 2
Schneider powerfully portrays the theme of mental conditioning in Berlin. West Berlin residents consider themselves superior to their neighbors in the East. How are the Germans conditioned? What do they believe? What are they afraid of? Examine this theme in relationship to the quote by Schneider, "Where does the state end and the self begin? How far are we conditioned by the place we are born in?"
Essay Topic 3
What is the function of graffiti in "The Wall Jumper"? What does graffiti say about the German socialist system in East Berlin? What does it say about the German capitalist system in West Berlin?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)