|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After gaining skills in sabotage, what does Bolle do?
2. What does Gartenschläger sell his stolen item to a news magazine for?
3. What does Robert think is a fairy tale for those who choose to not know better?
4. What is being torn down in the Narrator's neighborhood via urban renovation?
5. Where does Gartenschläger go with an assistant to gain access to the DDR border tools?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Narrator's experience at the border with the guards and the man with the dog.
2. What is the difference in the experiences that Pommerer and the Narrator have in 1945 with the Russians and Americans respectively?
3. How do Pommerer and the Narrator differ on their views of East and West German workers?
4. What does Pommerer observe about the DDR leadership and the reconstruction of East Berlin?
5. What is Bolle's ultimate fate after he double crosses both intelligence sides?
6. How do Robert and the Narrator differ in their view of news reports and their own role in it?
7. How does the Narrator identify with the German people and not politics?
8. Why does Gartenschläger attempt to get a self-triggering robot?
9. What are Lena's relationships with men prior to meeting the Narrator?
10. Describe the Narrator's first encounter with Frieda in his apartment building.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pommerer and The Narrator are two of the most active characters in discussing their social and political beliefs.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Pommerer had a direct influence upon? What are some events that The Narrator had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support or sympathy to people that attempt to jump the Wall? Which one is stronger and why?
Essay Topic 2
Love and sexuality between the Narrator and Lena is a recurring theme. How does the Narrator's feelings about love change from the beginning of the novel to its end? In what ways has he expanded his awareness and beliefs? Is sexuality connected to love for the Narrator? How does his feelings for Lena develop and change and how does his relationship with her contrast with that of other women that he has had romantic feelings for or an idealized relationship with?
Essay Topic 3
Tensions between certain characters offer insight into unfolding dramatic events. Pick two important individuals that interact with each other in "The Wall Jumper" and discuss their volatile relationship within the context of historical events. How does their conflict advance a theory or effect if any?
This section contains 1,114 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)