|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Gartenschläger have difficulty living?
2. Who hires Bolle as a full-time agent after he presents photographs and data from the BRD?
3. How do the Western and Stasi superiors differ according to Bolle?
4. Where does the Narrator's aunt live?
5. Where does Pommerer live in 1945?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Narrator identify with the German people and not politics?
2. What first attracts the Narrator to Lena?
3. How does Bolle end up in the French legion in Corsica?
4. Why does Pommerer believe his phone troubles are linked to a protest he did?
5. What does Pommerer observe about the DDR leadership and the reconstruction of East Berlin?
6. What is Bolle's ultimate fate after he double crosses both intelligence sides?
7. What amazes the Narrator about his cousin's behavior in Dresden?
8. Why does Gartenschläger attempt to get a self-triggering robot?
9. How does Bolle become a double agent for the DDR?
10. What are some decadent pleasures that the Narrator enjoys in West Berlin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Narrator uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the stories he shares in "The Wall Jumper". Then cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Describe some of the settings for "The Wall Jumper". What is the overall setting? How does the city of Berlin change over time? How is the East different from the West? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did the author choose to use these places in "The Wall Jumper"?
Essay Topic 3
Pommerer and The Narrator are two of the most active characters in discussing their social and political beliefs.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Pommerer had a direct influence upon? What are some events that The Narrator had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support or sympathy to people that attempt to jump the Wall? Which one is stronger and why?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)