|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Lena grow up?
2. After hearing Bolle's tale, whose story does Pommerer share with the Narrator in the bar?
3. Where does Gartenschläger go with an assistant to gain access to the DDR border tools?
4. What does Robert enjoy viewing different models of that the Narrator accompanies to see?
5. What did Pommerer's father leave for him for protection?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference in the experiences that Pommerer and the Narrator have in 1945 with the Russians and Americans respectively?
2. How is Gartenschläger caught and killed?
3. What does Pommerer observe about the DDR leadership and the reconstruction of East Berlin?
4. Why does Pommerer believe his phone troubles are linked to a protest he did?
5. What does Robert observe about capitalism when he goes to check car models with the Narrator?
6. How does the Narrator identify with the German people and not politics?
7. What are some decadent pleasures that the Narrator enjoys in West Berlin?
8. What does a stranger warn Robert and the Narrator about in the cafe and what happens subsequently?
9. What is the similarity in the news reporting of the strike in Poland that both Pommerer and the Narrator observe?
10. How do Robert and the Narrator differ in their view of news reports and their own role in it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The two belief systems of capitalism and socialism are pitted against each other frequently in "The Wall Jumper". Identify examples of each. In what ways is the Narrator attracted to the capitalist system versus the socialist system and vice-versa? Is it surprising that people jump the Wall on both sides? Discuss in relation to the stories shared by the Narrator and Pommerer.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Lena. What is her role in the story? What was Schneider trying to accomplish by creating the Lena' character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
The Narrator uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the stories he shares in "The Wall Jumper". Then cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)