|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long of a prison sentence does Bolle receive from a West Berlin court?
2. When Bolle is allowed to travel back and forth through Germany and is not arrested for his espionage, what does he become?
3. When Biermann is exiled, what do his supporters in East Berlin fear?
4. What does Gartenschläger sell his stolen item to a news magazine for?
5. When is the best time to cross the border at Heinrich Heine Strasse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tensions between certain characters offer insight into unfolding dramatic events. Pick two important individuals that interact with each other in "The Wall Jumper" and discuss their volatile relationship within the context of historical events. How does their conflict advance a theory or effect if any?
Essay Topic 2
One of the main themes in the book is ethical and social responsibility. List at least four examples where Schneider employs this specific theme. Is the battle between making ethical choices obvious or subtle? What characters are involved in this kind of battle? Do you think the right person or group won? Does good always triumph over evil in the case of "The Wall Jumper" ethics? Where do these definitions appear vague or incomprehensible?
Essay Topic 3
Consider this quote, "This stillness probably ties in with the Germans' habit of hearing their own noise through their neighbors' ears--a consideration which even three-year-olds are taught to show," (Chapter 1, pg. 16.) How does this reveal the culture in which East Germans lived? What does this say about their society? Compare and contrast in relationship to West Berlin and Western society as a whole at the time.
This section contains 1,195 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)