|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the cordoned off section belonging to Hitler that people on both sides of the Wall stare at through binoculars?
2. Who among the jumpers goes West to become a lumberjack?
3. Where was Kabe sent because he jumped the Wall?
4. What is the name of the Eastern boys' friend that joins them in jumping the Wall?
5. What did Kabe claim was too quiet not to jump?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the evening of music that Pommerer and the Narrator take in at the Hall of Young Talent like?
2. What does the woman with bulging eyeballs who visits Pommerer have to say about solidarity?
3. Describe Berlin from the Narrator's point of view in the airplane.
4. How does the Narrator describe Gerhard Schlater?
5. What is the story that Pommerer tells the Narrator about the Willy boys and their friend Lutz concerning the Wall?
6. What do the artistic neighbors that the Narrator meets with Pommerer in the countryside say about the scientist and the state as compared to writers?
7. Who is Wolf Biermann, mentioned in Chapter 1, and how is he described?
8. What does the Wall symbolize to the West Germans?
9. How does the Narrator describe Kabe?
10. How do Pommerer and the Narrator differ on their views regarding East and West Germany and change?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pommerer and The Narrator are two of the most active characters in discussing their social and political beliefs.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Pommerer had a direct influence upon? What are some events that The Narrator had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support or sympathy to people that attempt to jump the Wall? Which one is stronger and why?
Essay Topic 2
What is the function of graffiti in "The Wall Jumper"? What does graffiti say about the German socialist system in East Berlin? What does it say about the German capitalist system in West Berlin?
Essay Topic 3
Tensions between certain characters offer insight into unfolding dramatic events. Pick two important individuals that interact with each other in "The Wall Jumper" and discuss their volatile relationship within the context of historical events. How does their conflict advance a theory or effect if any?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)