|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes the arrest of the Eastern boys?
2. What is vandalized consistently outside the Narrator's building?
3. What do the banners that the Narrator sees in the countryside exhort people to do?
4. What relations did Kabe strain through his act of jumping the Wall?
5. Who fail to curse the uncomfortable shuttle bus after landing at the Schonefield airport?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Wall symbolize to the West Germans?
2. What did the early 1960s see in Berlin in terms of escape methods in Berlin?
3. What is the difference in reporting between West and East German politicians on the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan on the evening news?
4. What are the Narrator's neighbors in Berlin like?
5. What do neighbors in the German countryside gather to discuss that the Narrator observes?
6. How does the Narrator view the East from the S-Bahn train station?
7. How did Lena's family treat her when she visited with the Narrator in East Berlin?
8. How has television affected the culture of the two German societies?
9. How does the Narrator describe Gerhard Schlater?
10. Describe Berlin from the Narrator's point of view in the airplane.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pommerer and The Narrator are two of the most active characters in discussing their social and political beliefs.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Pommerer had a direct influence upon? What are some events that The Narrator had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support or sympathy to people that attempt to jump the Wall? Which one is stronger and why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Lena. What is her role in the story? What was Schneider trying to accomplish by creating the Lena' character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Politics play a significant role in the book. Schneider refers to the politics of the East Berlin society of "The Wall Jumper" compared to that of West Berlin. Discuss the use of politics in the novel. How does politics influence the actions of the main characters of the Narrator, Pommerer, and others? Also examine the use of politics in relationships.
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)