|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Eastern boy that Pommerer tells a story about jumping the Wall?
2. What do the banners that the Narrator sees in the countryside say about the Soviets?
3. What is the cordoned off section belonging to Hitler that people on both sides of the Wall stare at through binoculars?
4. What does the woman with bulging eyeballs that meets with Pommerer support?
5. Who does the Narrator meet in Lena's family in East Berlin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Berlin from the Narrator's point of view in the airplane.
2. What does the woman with bulging eyeballs who visits Pommerer have to say about solidarity?
3. How does the Narrator describe Robert in Chapter 1?
4. What do the artistic neighbors that the Narrator meets with Pommerer in the countryside say about the scientist and the state as compared to writers?
5. What is the evening of music that Pommerer and the Narrator take in at the Hall of Young Talent like?
6. How does the Narrator describe Kabe?
7. How do Pommerer and the Narrator differ on their views regarding East and West Germany and change?
8. How does the Narrator view the East from the S-Bahn train station?
9. What do neighbors in the German countryside gather to discuss that the Narrator observes?
10. How do the DDR and the Western television reflect bias when it comes to news reporting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Love and sexuality between the Narrator and Lena is a recurring theme. How does the Narrator's feelings about love change from the beginning of the novel to its end? In what ways has he expanded his awareness and beliefs? Is sexuality connected to love for the Narrator? How does his feelings for Lena develop and change and how does his relationship with her contrast with that of other women that he has had romantic feelings for or an idealized relationship with?
Essay Topic 2
What is the function of graffiti in "The Wall Jumper"? What does graffiti say about the German socialist system in East Berlin? What does it say about the German capitalist system in West Berlin?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did Schneider mean by calling the book "The Wall Jumper"? Cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)