|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the cordoned off section belonging to Hitler that people on both sides of the Wall stare at through binoculars?
2. What causes the arrest of the Eastern boys?
3. What pain do West Germans no longer feel strongly?
4. Where do Pommerer and the Narrator go to watch jazz?
5. What is vandalized consistently outside the Narrator's building?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has television affected the culture of the two German societies?
2. What is the story that Pommerer tells the Narrator about the Willy boys and their friend Lutz concerning the Wall?
3. How do Pommerer and the Narrator differ on their views regarding East and West Germany and change?
4. Describe how the East and West Germans are different at the Schöneﬁeld Airport.
5. What does the Wall symbolize to the West Germans?
6. What does the Narrator notice about Soviet propaganda compared to that of the West while traveling with Pommerer?
7. What are the Narrator's neighbors in Berlin like?
8. How does the Narrator view the East from the S-Bahn train station?
9. What do neighbors in the German countryside gather to discuss that the Narrator observes?
10. How do the DDR and the Western television reflect bias when it comes to news reporting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Schneider is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, puns, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Love and sexuality between the Narrator and Lena is a recurring theme. How does the Narrator's feelings about love change from the beginning of the novel to its end? In what ways has he expanded his awareness and beliefs? Is sexuality connected to love for the Narrator? How does his feelings for Lena develop and change and how does his relationship with her contrast with that of other women that he has had romantic feelings for or an idealized relationship with?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did Schneider mean by calling the book "The Wall Jumper"? Cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)