|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What covers the land six miles out of Berlin that the Narrator notices before they see greenery?
2. What is the enormous structure in the countryside that the Narrator notices standing out?
3. Who remains silent when Pommerer's friends and neighbors complain about censorship?
4. How many friends does Lena have that dress differently than others in West Germany?
5. What kinds of escape methods from the Wall became popular in the early 1960s?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do neighbors in the German countryside gather to discuss that the Narrator observes?
2. What is the evening of music that Pommerer and the Narrator take in at the Hall of Young Talent like?
3. What is the story that Pommerer tells the Narrator about the Willy boys and their friend Lutz concerning the Wall?
4. How do the DDR and the Western television reflect bias when it comes to news reporting?
5. What did the early 1960s see in Berlin in terms of escape methods in Berlin?
6. How do Pommerer and the Narrator differ on their views regarding East and West Germany and change?
7. Who is Wolf Biermann, mentioned in Chapter 1, and how is he described?
8. What does the Narrator notice about Soviet propaganda compared to that of the West while traveling with Pommerer?
9. What is the difference in reporting between West and East German politicians on the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan on the evening news?
10. How is the difference in the importance of the Wall shown in Western and Eastern maps?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did Schneider mean by calling the book "The Wall Jumper"? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the Wall? When was the Wall erected? How does it divide Berlin? How does it divide the people of Berlin? What does the Wall symbolize? What international relationships are changed as a result? Who gains or loses power?
Essay Topic 3
Schneider is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, puns, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)