|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who arrives to distribute food and supplies in 1945 where the Narrator resides?
(a) The Americans.
(b) The Germans.
(c) The Italians.
(d) The Russians.
2. When Biermann is exiled, what do his supporters in East Berlin fear?
(a) A ransom.
(b) A ritual of control.
(c) A change in power.
(d) A lack of spontaneity.
3. Who is the Narrator's aunt?
4. Where are strikes occurring that the Narrator watches on television with Pommerer?
5. Who single-handedly fought against the DDR according to Robert?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is being torn down in the Narrator's neighborhood via urban renovation?
2. When Bolle is allowed to travel back and forth through Germany and is not arrested for his espionage, what does he become?
3. What did the Narrator's uncle do for a living before he died?
4. What position did Bolle have in the south that he tired of?
5. When Bolle offered his services to the US Army for counterintelligence, what happened?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference in the experiences that Pommerer and the Narrator have in 1945 with the Russians and Americans respectively?
2. What does Robert observe about capitalism when he goes to check car models with the Narrator?
3. How is Gartenschläger caught and killed?
4. What first attracts the Narrator to Lena?
5. Describe the Narrator's experience at the border with the guards and the man with the dog.
6. What does Robert think of the police's participation in the violence in town?
7. How does the Narrator identify with the German people and not politics?
8. How does Bolle become an agent for the Stasi?
9. Describe the Narrator's first encounter with Frieda in his apartment building.
10. What does Pommerer observe about the DDR leadership and the reconstruction of East Berlin?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)