|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what building does Lena find peace in that politics has not touched?
(a) A generations-old family house.
(b) A broken down villa.
(c) A courthouse.
(d) An old stately mansion.
2. Who is the Narrator's first landlord in Berlin?
3. On his first visit to the wall, what does the Narrator watch?
(a) Bus loads of visitors.
(b) Singing wrestlers.
(c) Fighting monkeys.
(d) Dancing troupes.
4. Who do the artists in the countryside that the Narrator meets criticize that lost the privilege of going abroad?
(a) An intellectual.
(b) A scientist.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A writer.
5. What does the Narrator travel into East Berlin on?
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Narrator arrives home at midnight, who is he surprised to see working at window level in his building?
2. From what direction does Kabe jump the Wall?
3. Where does the Narrator exit from the metro into East Berlin?
4. What do Western publicity folk strive to avoid according to the Narrator?
5. What is Lena's family concerned about regarding West Berlin and the West in general?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the similarity in the news reporting of the strike in Poland that both Pommerer and the Narrator observe?
2. How has television affected the culture of the two German societies?
3. How does Bolle become an agent for the Stasi?
4. What do the artistic neighbors that the Narrator meets with Pommerer in the countryside say about the scientist and the state as compared to writers?
5. How does the Narrator view the East from the S-Bahn train station?
6. What does Pommerer observe about the DDR leadership and the reconstruction of East Berlin?
7. Describe the Narrator's first encounter with Frieda in his apartment building.
8. How is the Narrator more aware after the East Berlin visit?
9. How is the difference in the importance of the Wall shown in Western and Eastern maps?
10. What is the difference in reporting between West and East German politicians on the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan on the evening news?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)