|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Narrator and Pommerer argue about the Commission on Order and Security report?
(a) Whether it was sympathetic to their cause.
(b) Whether it was the same as that under Nazism.
(c) Whether it symbolized the power of their government.
(d) Whether it mandated suspicious activity.
2. Whose company does the Narrator enjoy until he dies at 70?
(a) A violinist.
(b) A writer.
(c) A singer.
(d) A dancer.
3. Whose government does the Narrator find more intrusive on citizen privacy?
4. Who rarely meet outside the Narrator's building but can be distinguished by noise?
5. How does Kabe fool his government?
(a) He fights their clinics.
(b) He burns their flags.
(c) He is unemployed and lives off the state.
(d) He spies on them.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Narrator arrives home at midnight, who is he surprised to see working at window level in his building?
2. What covers the land six miles out of Berlin that the Narrator notices before they see greenery?
3. Which is NOT an escape method used by people trying to jump the Wall in the early 1960s?
4. What structure zigzags through the city of Berlin?
5. When the Narrator takes a cab from the station, what does the driver make fun of regarding the West?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the East and West Germans are different at the Schöneﬁeld Airport.
2. What does the woman with bulging eyeballs who visits Pommerer have to say about solidarity?
3. What did the early 1960s see in Berlin in terms of escape methods in Berlin?
4. Describe Berlin from the Narrator's point of view in the airplane.
5. How is the difference in the importance of the Wall shown in Western and Eastern maps?
6. What is the difference in reporting between West and East German politicians on the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan on the evening news?
7. What is the evening of music that Pommerer and the Narrator take in at the Hall of Young Talent like?
8. What is the story that Pommerer tells the Narrator about the Willy boys and their friend Lutz concerning the Wall?
9. How does Kabe outwit both the East and West German governments?
10. How does the Narrator describe Kabe?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)