|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who rarely meet outside the Narrator's building but can be distinguished by noise?
2. What do the banners that the Narrator sees in the countryside say about the Soviets?
(a) Ignore them.
(b) Hate them.
(c) Love them.
(d) Fight them.
3. Why do the Eastern boys jump the Wall?
(a) To go to school.
(b) To see a film.
(c) To get food.
(d) To meet some girls.
4. What did the Narrator and Pommerer argue about the Commission on Order and Security report?
(a) Whether it was sympathetic to their cause.
(b) Whether it mandated suspicious activity.
(c) Whether it symbolized the power of their government.
(d) Whether it was the same as that under Nazism.
5. Which is NOT an escape method used by people trying to jump the Wall in the early 1960s?
(c) Scuba diving.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Wolf Biermann do for a living?
2. Whose existence do BRD politicians deny?
3. What covers the land six miles out of Berlin that the Narrator notices before they see greenery?
4. What is the remarkable difference between West and East-bound travelers at the Schonefield airport?
5. What does the Narrator consider easier to understand than Berlin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Narrator describe Gerhard Schlater?
2. How did Lena's family treat her when she visited with the Narrator in East Berlin?
3. How does the Narrator describe Robert in Chapter 1?
4. How does Kabe outwit both the East and West German governments?
5. Who is Wolf Biermann, mentioned in Chapter 1, and how is he described?
6. What do the artistic neighbors that the Narrator meets with Pommerer in the countryside say about the scientist and the state as compared to writers?
7. How do the DDR and the Western television reflect bias when it comes to news reporting?
8. What does the woman with bulging eyeballs who visits Pommerer have to say about solidarity?
9. How is the difference in the importance of the Wall shown in Western and Eastern maps?
10. What is the difference in reporting between West and East German politicians on the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan on the evening news?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)