|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pommerer claim that the West is controlled by?
2. Who does the Narrator meet in East Berlin that is forbidden to publish?
3. Where have Pommerer's friends in the countryside settled into?
(a) Broken down jeeps.
(b) Old industrial buildings.
(c) Abandoned farm cottages.
(d) New barns.
4. What do the travelers heading west look upon the other travelers as?
(a) Zoo animals.
5. What causes the arrest of the Eastern boys?
(a) The Russian coverage of the story.
(b) The Eastern coverage of the story.
(c) The American coverage of the story.
(d) The Western coverage of the story.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Narrator consider easier to understand than Berlin?
2. Where does the Narrator meet his friend from East Berlin to play pinball?
3. What is the UN resolution on the evening news about that the Narrator watches on television?
4. In what building does Lena find peace in that politics has not touched?
5. What structure zigzags through the city of Berlin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Narrator describe Gerhard Schlater?
2. What is the story that Pommerer tells the Narrator about the Willy boys and their friend Lutz concerning the Wall?
3. What did the early 1960s see in Berlin in terms of escape methods in Berlin?
4. Who is Wolf Biermann, mentioned in Chapter 1, and how is he described?
5. What is the difference in reporting between West and East German politicians on the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan on the evening news?
6. Describe Berlin from the Narrator's point of view in the airplane.
7. How does Schneider uses the analogy of lovers to explain the German lack of interest in reunification?
8. How do Pommerer and the Narrator differ on their views regarding East and West Germany and change?
9. How does the Narrator view the East from the S-Bahn train station?
10. What does the Wall symbolize to the West Germans?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)