|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the Narrator meet in East Berlin that is forbidden to publish?
2. How does Kabe fool his government?
(a) He burns their flags.
(b) He is unemployed and lives off the state.
(c) He fights their clinics.
(d) He spies on them.
3. What do Western publicity folk strive to avoid according to the Narrator?
4. What kinds of escape methods from the Wall became popular in the early 1960s?
(c) Drugging guards.
(d) Tightrope walking.
5. Where was Kabe sent because he jumped the Wall?
(a) Constitutional bunker.
(b) Underground cellar.
(c) Psychiatric evaluation.
(d) Polar extremes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who rarely meet outside the Narrator's building but can be distinguished by noise?
2. What does the woman with bulging eyeballs that meets with Pommerer support?
3. What area does not have land mines according to Pommerer?
4. On maps, what does the Narrator notice is missing in West Berlin?
5. When the Narrator arrives home at midnight, who is he surprised to see working at window level in his building?
Short Essay Questions
1. What amazes the Narrator about his cousin's behavior in Dresden?
2. How is the difference in the importance of the Wall shown in Western and Eastern maps?
3. What does Pommerer observe about the DDR leadership and the reconstruction of East Berlin?
4. What does the Wall symbolize to the West Germans?
5. What first attracts the Narrator to Lena?
6. What does the Narrator fear when he wakes up at night in his apartment alone?
7. How does the Narrator get in trouble with the customs man?
8. What is the difference in reporting between West and East German politicians on the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan on the evening news?
9. What does the Narrator observe about power in East Berlin?
10. How has Robert's relationship with Lena changed?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)