|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many friends does Lena have that dress differently than others in West Germany?
2. Why do the Eastern boys jump the Wall?
(a) To meet some girls.
(b) To get food.
(c) To see a film.
(d) To go to school.
3. What is Lena's family concerned about regarding West Berlin and the West in general?
(a) Whether they will lose.
(b) Whether they will fit in.
(c) Whether life is livable.
(d) Whether they will suffer.
4. What does the woman with bulging eyeballs that meets with Pommerer support?
5. What do the neighbors of Pommerer's friends in the countryside gather to discuss?
(a) Politics and the environment.
(b) Food and cooking.
(c) Guests and strangers.
(d) Art and literature.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is vandalized consistently outside the Narrator's building?
2. What pain do West Germans no longer feel strongly?
3. What does Pommerer claim that the West is controlled by?
4. What do the banners that the Narrator sees in the countryside exhort people to do?
5. What does the Narrator notice has been removed from all the vehicles in the West?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the evening of music that Pommerer and the Narrator take in at the Hall of Young Talent like?
2. What do neighbors in the German countryside gather to discuss that the Narrator observes?
3. What do the artistic neighbors that the Narrator meets with Pommerer in the countryside say about the scientist and the state as compared to writers?
4. What is the difference in reporting between West and East German politicians on the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan on the evening news?
5. How does Kabe outwit both the East and West German governments?
6. What does the Wall symbolize to the West Germans?
7. What did the early 1960s see in Berlin in terms of escape methods in Berlin?
8. How does the Narrator describe Robert in Chapter 1?
9. How does the Narrator describe Kabe?
10. How did Lena's family treat her when she visited with the Narrator in East Berlin?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)