|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who considers themselves superior based on clothing, accessories and language?
(a) West Germans.
(d) East Germans.
2. On his first visit to the wall, what does the Narrator watch?
(a) Dancing troupes.
(b) Fighting monkeys.
(c) Bus loads of visitors.
(d) Singing wrestlers.
3. In what building does Lena find peace in that politics has not touched?
(a) A courthouse.
(b) A broken down villa.
(c) A generations-old family house.
(d) An old stately mansion.
4. On maps, what does the Narrator notice is missing in West Berlin?
5. What kinds of escape methods from the Wall became popular in the early 1960s?
(a) Tightrope walking.
(b) Drugging guards.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Narrator and Pommerer argue about the Commission on Order and Security report?
2. What do the travelers heading west look upon the other travelers as?
3. Where does the Narrator exit from the metro into East Berlin?
4. For how many Fridays do the Eastern boys jump the Wall before they are stopped by the West Berlin patrol?
5. When the Narrator takes a cab from the station, what does the driver make fun of regarding the West?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Narrator view the East from the S-Bahn train station?
2. Who is Wolf Biermann, mentioned in Chapter 1, and how is he described?
3. How did Lena's family treat her when she visited with the Narrator in East Berlin?
4. How does the Narrator describe Robert in Chapter 1?
5. What is the story that Pommerer tells the Narrator about the Willy boys and their friend Lutz concerning the Wall?
6. What does the Wall symbolize to the West Germans?
7. What are the Narrator's neighbors in Berlin like?
8. How has television affected the culture of the two German societies?
9. How does Schneider uses the analogy of lovers to explain the German lack of interest in reunification?
10. What do neighbors in the German countryside gather to discuss that the Narrator observes?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)