|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do both sides of the Wall want to call Kabe?
2. Where have Pommerer's friends in the countryside settled into?
(a) Abandoned farm cottages.
(b) Old industrial buildings.
(c) Broken down jeeps.
(d) New barns.
3. Instead of outsmarting the State, what did Biermann do that evoked criticism from his peers?
(a) Respect it.
(b) Hide from it.
(c) Challenge it.
(d) Accept it.
4. For how many Fridays do the Eastern boys jump the Wall before they are stopped by the West Berlin patrol?
5. When the Narrator takes a cab from the station, what does the driver make fun of regarding the West?
(a) Lack of hygiene.
(b) Lack of jokes.
(c) Lack of rules.
(d) Lack of communists.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the artists in the countryside that the Narrator meets criticize that lost the privilege of going abroad?
2. In what building does Lena find peace in that politics has not touched?
3. What does the Narrator consider easier to understand than Berlin?
4. Where does the Narrator exit from the metro into East Berlin?
5. How does Kabe fool his government?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Wolf Biermann, mentioned in Chapter 1, and how is he described?
2. Describe Berlin from the Narrator's point of view in the airplane.
3. How does Schneider uses the analogy of lovers to explain the German lack of interest in reunification?
4. What is the evening of music that Pommerer and the Narrator take in at the Hall of Young Talent like?
5. What does the Wall symbolize to the West Germans?
6. What did the early 1960s see in Berlin in terms of escape methods in Berlin?
7. Describe how the East and West Germans are different at the Schöneﬁeld Airport.
8. How has television affected the culture of the two German societies?
9. How does Kabe outwit both the East and West German governments?
10. What does the Narrator notice about Soviet propaganda compared to that of the West while traveling with Pommerer?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)