|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What pain do West Germans no longer feel strongly?
2. What do the banners that the Narrator sees in the countryside say about the Soviets?
(a) Fight them.
(b) Love them.
(c) Ignore them.
(d) Hate them.
3. Instead of outsmarting the State, what did Biermann do that evoked criticism from his peers?
(a) Challenge it.
(b) Respect it.
(c) Hide from it.
(d) Accept it.
4. What is the UN resolution on the evening news about that the Narrator watches on television?
(a) Soviet invasion of Czech Republic.
(b) American invasion of France.
(c) Soviet invasion of Afghanisthan.
(d) American invasion of Prussia.
5. Why do the Eastern boys jump the Wall?
(a) To meet some girls.
(b) To see a film.
(c) To go to school.
(d) To get food.
6. What is Lena's family concerned about regarding West Berlin and the West in general?
(a) Whether life is livable.
(b) Whether they will fit in.
(c) Whether they will lose.
(d) Whether they will suffer.
7. Where have Pommerer's friends in the countryside settled into?
(a) Broken down jeeps.
(b) New barns.
(c) Abandoned farm cottages.
(d) Old industrial buildings.
8. When the Narrator takes a cab from the station, what does the driver make fun of regarding the West?
(a) Lack of communists.
(b) Lack of jokes.
(c) Lack of rules.
(d) Lack of hygiene.
9. What is the enormous structure in the countryside that the Narrator notices standing out?
(a) A silo.
(b) A statue.
(c) A TV antenna.
(d) A dish.
10. Who clings together in a new life in the West?
(a) Southern Germans.
(b) East Germans.
(c) West Germans.
(d) Northern Germans.
11. What did Kabe claim was too quiet not to jump?
(a) His life.
(b) His neighborhood.
(c) His friend's death.
(d) His dreams.
12. What do BRD politicians emphasize regarding East and West Germany?
13. Who do the artists in the countryside that the Narrator meets criticize that lost the privilege of going abroad?
(a) An intellectual.
(b) A scientist.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A writer.
14. What does Wolf Biermann do for a living?
15. When the Narrator arrives home at midnight, who is he surprised to see working at window level in his building?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Pommerer and the Narrator go to watch jazz?
2. Whose existence do BRD politicians deny?
3. What do both sides of the Wall want to call Kabe?
4. What does the Narrator consider easier to understand than Berlin?
5. What do the travelers heading west look upon the other travelers as?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)