|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what building does Lena find peace in that politics has not touched?
(a) A generations-old family house.
(b) A broken down villa.
(c) A courthouse.
(d) An old stately mansion.
2. Who is the Narrator's first landlord in Berlin?
3. On his first visit to the wall, what does the Narrator watch?
(a) Bus loads of visitors.
(b) Singing wrestlers.
(c) Fighting monkeys.
(d) Dancing troupes.
4. Who do the artists in the countryside that the Narrator meets criticize that lost the privilege of going abroad?
(a) An intellectual.
(b) A scientist.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A writer.
5. What does the Narrator travel into East Berlin on?
6. When the Narrator arrives home at midnight, who is he surprised to see working at window level in his building?
7. From what direction does Kabe jump the Wall?
8. Where does the Narrator exit from the metro into East Berlin?
9. What do Western publicity folk strive to avoid according to the Narrator?
10. What is Lena's family concerned about regarding West Berlin and the West in general?
(a) Whether they will lose.
(b) Whether life is livable.
(c) Whether they will fit in.
(d) Whether they will suffer.
11. What are the two bars in the Narrator's building?
(a) Russian and German.
(b) Austrian and Prussian.
(c) English and French.
(d) German and Bolivian.
12. Who clings together in a new life in the West?
(a) Southern Germans.
(b) West Germans.
(c) Northern Germans.
(d) East Germans.
13. What covers the land six miles out of Berlin that the Narrator notices before they see greenery?
(a) Volcanic ash.
(b) Lime dust.
14. Which is NOT an escape method used by people trying to jump the Wall in the early 1960s?
(b) Scuba diving.
15. Where do Pommerer and the Narrator go to watch jazz?
(a) Getty museum.
(b) Underground railroad.
(c) Friedrichstrasse station.
(d) Hall of Young Talent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the UN resolution on the evening news about that the Narrator watches on television?
2. What relations did Kabe strain through his act of jumping the Wall?
3. How many friends does Lena have that dress differently than others in West Germany?
4. After 30 years, what rules are significantly differently in the way people act in West and East Berlin?
5. What is vandalized consistently outside the Narrator's building?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)