|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Darwin find fossil rich deposits and evidence of a recent land elevation?
(b) New South Wales
(c) Ayers Rock
(d) near Perth
2. How does Darwin compare the natives of New Zealand to the Tahitians?
(a) shorter and less attractive
(b) better educated and more peaceful
(c) about the same
(d) more warlike and unpleasant company
3. Arriving in Matavai Bay, what do they see coming toward the Beagle?
(a) Tahitians swimming out to greet them
(b) many canoes launching from Tahiti
(c) schools of porpoises
(d) floating logs from a recent tsunami
4. Where is the Beagle after passing through the Strait of Magellan?
(a) headed toward New Zealand
(b) the relatively calm Pacific Ocean
(c) the Antarctic Sea
(d) the mouth of an unnamed river
5. What must the people do at Iquique?
(a) build strong houses
(b) import everything
(c) grow their own food
(d) fight the natives
6. How does Darwin describe the dress of the Chilean miners?
7. What is the product of the ugly palms Darwin sees going up the mountain?
(a) sweet sap from which syrup is made
(b) fiber for making ropes
(c) thatching for shack roofs
(d) large dates used to feed cattle
8. Leaving Lima, where does the Beagle sail?
(a) back to Chile
(b) Panama City
(c) the Galapagos archipelago
(d) Baja California
9. What does Darwin begin to notice about the different Galapagos islands?
(a) the birds do not pass from one island to another
(b) the natural inhabitants of each island differ in slight ways
(c) each island has different kinds of frogs
(d) the animals and plants are all the same
10. What do Darwin and some crew members walk on when they visit the island of San Pedro?
(a) soft, black sand
(b) layers of logs several yards thick
(c) layers of dry salt
(d) hot rocks from a volcano
11. Exploring the Chiloe eastern coastline, what does Darwin observe?
(a) strange granite boulders in the sea
(b) the nearly extinct dodo bird
(c) the volcano Orsono
(d) albatros nests
12. Why can Darwin not explore the forest of Chiloe?
(a) It is held sacred by the natives.
(b) It is too wet to support horse or man,
(c) It is too thick to pass through.
(d) It is filled with poisonous plants.
13. What does Darwin write about the Chilean miners?
(a) They spend all their money on drink and clothes.
(b) They work long hours and enjoy life.
(c) They are allowed to keep part of what they mine.
(d) They get paid large salaries.
14. What does Darwin discover at the saltpeter mine?
(a) crystal formations
(b) thistle forests
(c) hot springs
(d) nothing remarkable
15. From where do many of the people living in Port Louis come?
(c) South Africa
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Darwin and Mariano Gonzales take ten pack mules on the trek across the Andes?
2. What does Darwin speculate about as he observes the snow melt percolating and loosening rocks?
3. Walking along a road cut through the landscape, what does Darwin reflect on?
4. What impresses Darwin about the Tahitians?
5. What is it in which a large wooden spoon seems to dance to the rhythm of the music being played?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)