|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What disturbs Darwin about the corn harvest in the area?
(a) the convict slave labor
(b) the color of the corn
(c) the poor quality of the corn
(d) the way it is harvested
2. What does Darwin speculate about as he observes the snow melt percolating and loosening rocks?
(a) how minerals are formed
(b) how plants are introduced
(c) how rich ores are found
(d) how the geology develops
3. What is the strange phenomenon Darwin sees at the mountain summit?
(a) rock flowers
(b) red snow
(c) ice castles
(d) black rain
4. Leaving Lima, where does the Beagle sail?
(a) the Galapagos archipelago
(b) Baja California
(c) back to Chile
(d) Panama City
5. What does Darwin observe along the rivers of the Andes?
(a) the poverty of the people
(b) the richness of mineral resources
(c) the color of the water
(d) the calmness of the water
6. How are Darwin and his Tahitian guides able to get inland on the island?
(a) coming around from the other side
(b) through jungle pathways
(c) along river valleys
(d) climbing over several mountains
7. What does Darwin see on the way to a saltpeter mine?
(a) wild cattle
8. What is the product of the ugly palms Darwin sees going up the mountain?
(a) thatching for shack roofs
(b) large dates used to feed cattle
(c) fiber for making ropes
(d) sweet sap from which syrup is made
9. How does Darwin compare the natives of New Zealand to the Tahitians?
(a) shorter and less attractive
(b) better educated and more peaceful
(c) more warlike and unpleasant company
(d) about the same
10. How does Darwin describe the town of Port Louis?
(a) as more French than Paris
(b) as shanties clustered along the shore
(c) as uncivilized
(d) as dangeroous and hostile
11. After sailing away from Chile, where does the Beagle go?
(a) Bogata, Columbia
(b) Panama city
(c) Lima, Peru
(d) Iquique in Peru
12. What causes massive destruction and takes many lives at Valdavia?
(a) the eruption of several volcanoes
(b) landslides off the mountains
(c) a cyclone
(d) huge tsunamis
13. What turns out to be a raised plain about 3,000 feet above sea level?
(a) the inland sea bed
(b) the Blue Mountain foothills
(c) Ayers Rock
(d) the Blue Mountains
14. Where is the Beagle after passing through the Strait of Magellan?
(a) the relatively calm Pacific Ocean
(b) headed toward New Zealand
(c) the Antarctic Sea
(d) the mouth of an unnamed river
15. What is located at the Bay of Valparaiso?
(a) the last Spanish trading post
(b) the primary Chilean seaport
(c) the first of the southern islands
(d) Horsetail Falls
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the wooden houses best withstand the effects of the massive earthquake?
2. What is the stormy place the Beagle visits where the people raise pigs and potatoes and catch fish?
3. What is it in which a large wooden spoon seems to dance to the rhythm of the music being played?
4. What does Darwin discover on the way back to Chile by way of the Uspallata pass north of Mendoza?
5. What unusual thing exists on another island some miles away from Keeling Island?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)