|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Darwin spend the night after descending the Blue Mountain plateau?
(a) at a cotton plantation
(b) at a mission
(c) at a sheep ranch
(d) at a modern inn
2. What keeps Darwin on board the Beagle after it sails to Lima?
(a) a cholera epidemic in Peru
(b) his weakened health
(c) his lost passport
(d) the political unrest in Peru
3. Where does Darwin see plants and animals similar to what he saw on the plains of Patagonia?
(a) in mountain caves
(b) at the summit of the mountains
(c) at Machu Picchu
(d) at their camp at Los Arenales
4. What does Darwin see on the way to a saltpeter mine?
(a) wild cattle
5. What does Darwin find in relationship to his interest in plants and animals?
(a) too much diversity to classify all
(b) specimens too large to take back
(c) strange new species
(d) almost no new species
6. What is located at the Bay of Valparaiso?
(a) the last Spanish trading post
(b) Horsetail Falls
(c) the first of the southern islands
(d) the primary Chilean seaport
7. Why do they have a problem with making a meal at 11,000 feet?
(a) The wind blows out their fire.
(b) Their supplies are all frozen.
(c) There are few sticks to use for making a fire.
(d) Water boils at a very low temperature at this altitude.
8. What is a principal industry of Chile that Darwin observes?
(a) mining copper and gold
(b) jewelry making
(c) iron smelting
(d) ship building
9. What provides Darwin with more evidence of the relationships between volcanic activity and earthquakes?
(a) the stories people tell about past disasters
(b) the shape of the coast after the volcanoes erupt
(c) the temperature of the water after the tsunami
(d) the destruction after the Valdivia earthquake
10. What has Darwin observed on the 3,200 mile trip from the Galapagos?
(a) a formation of coral known as an atoll
(b) a maelstrom
(c) great white sharks circling the Beagle
(d) a blue whale mother and baby
11. Leaving Lima, where does the Beagle sail?
(a) back to Chile
(b) the Galapagos archipelago
(c) Panama City
(d) Baja California
12. What does Darwin begin to notice about the different Galapagos islands?
(a) the birds do not pass from one island to another
(b) the natural inhabitants of each island differ in slight ways
(c) each island has different kinds of frogs
(d) the animals and plants are all the same
13. What do Darwin and some crew members walk on when they visit the island of San Pedro?
(a) soft, black sand
(b) layers of logs several yards thick
(c) layers of dry salt
(d) hot rocks from a volcano
14. Arriving in Matavai Bay, what do they see coming toward the Beagle?
(a) Tahitians swimming out to greet them
(b) floating logs from a recent tsunami
(c) many canoes launching from Tahiti
(d) schools of porpoises
15. How does Darwin describe the dress of the Chilean miners?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Darwin and Mariano Gonzales take ten pack mules on the trek across the Andes?
2. Where does Darwin prepare to cross the Andes Mountains through the Portillo pass?
3. What is the stormy place the Beagle visits where the people raise pigs and potatoes and catch fish?
4. Where does Darwin find olive and orange trees and many varieties of vegetables?
5. What does Darwin see as they continue through the Andes mountains?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)