|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Darwin find fossil rich deposits and evidence of a recent land elevation?
(a) Ayers Rock
(c) near Perth
(d) New South Wales
2. Exploring the Chiloe eastern coastline, what does Darwin observe?
(a) the nearly extinct dodo bird
(b) the volcano Orsono
(c) strange granite boulders in the sea
(d) albatros nests
3. What is at the center of the atoll called Keeling Island?
(a) the shallow and calm waters of a lagoon
(b) a fresh water lake
(c) several small coral reefs
(d) evidence of a volcanic origin
4. What do Darwin and some crew members walk on when they visit the island of San Pedro?
(a) layers of logs several yards thick
(b) layers of dry salt
(c) hot rocks from a volcano
(d) soft, black sand
5. Where does Darwin spend the night after descending the Blue Mountain plateau?
(a) at a sheep ranch
(b) at a modern inn
(c) at a cotton plantation
(d) at a mission
6. Why can Darwin not explore the forest of Chiloe?
(a) It is too thick to pass through.
(b) It is too wet to support horse or man,
(c) It is held sacred by the natives.
(d) It is filled with poisonous plants.
7. What are the Kauai pine?
(a) gnarled brush that covers the land
(b) pitiful cries of mountain wildcats
(c) trees as large as giant redwoods
(d) trees that once grew all over the land
8. What does Darwin see as the disadvantages such as monetary inflation and a sense of personal anonymity in Sydney?
(a) the effects of rapid growth
(b) the number of criminals there
(c) its distance from Europe
(d) an ineffective government
9. Why do they have a problem with making a meal at 11,000 feet?
(a) Their supplies are all frozen.
(b) There are few sticks to use for making a fire.
(c) Water boils at a very low temperature at this altitude.
(d) The wind blows out their fire.
10. What does the host at the Hacienda de San Isidro provide for Darwin?
(a) a secretary to transcribe his notes
(b) clothes more suitable for the weather
(c) maps of the Chilean coastline
(d) a fresh horse and a guide
11. What does Darwin speculate about as he observes the snow melt percolating and loosening rocks?
(a) how the geology develops
(b) how minerals are formed
(c) how plants are introduced
(d) how rich ores are found
12. Where does Darwin see plants and animals similar to what he saw on the plains of Patagonia?
(a) at Machu Picchu
(b) at their camp at Los Arenales
(c) in mountain caves
(d) at the summit of the mountains
13. What does Darwin find in relationship to his interest in plants and animals?
(a) strange new species
(b) almost no new species
(c) specimens too large to take back
(d) too much diversity to classify all
14. How does Darwin get to the Blue Mountains?
(a) across the Australian desert
(b) across the Nepean River in a ferry boat
(c) in a buckboard wagon
(d) riding a camel
15. What does Darwin see on the way to a saltpeter mine?
(c) wild cattle
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Darwin find mostly desert with a few mines of low quality here and there?
2. What theory about volcanic activity and earthquakes does Darwin form that is years ahead of his time?
3. What provides Darwin with more evidence of the relationships between volcanic activity and earthquakes?
4. What does Darwin write about the Chilean miners?
5. What is Darwin's assessment of New Zealand?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)