|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Exploring the Chiloe eastern coastline, what does Darwin observe?
(a) the volcano Orsono
(b) the nearly extinct dodo bird
(c) strange granite boulders in the sea
(d) albatros nests
2. What does Darwin see from the Blue Mountains?
(a) many ships sailing around the continent
(b) tall trees growing in the valleys below
(c) vast areas of farmland
(d) cliffs with magnificent views of a harbor
3. Arriving in Matavai Bay, what do they see coming toward the Beagle?
(a) schools of porpoises
(b) floating logs from a recent tsunami
(c) Tahitians swimming out to greet them
(d) many canoes launching from Tahiti
4. Who are the unusually tall people compared to other natives of the area?
(a) the Incas
(b) the Argentinians
(c) the Tierrans
(d) the Patagonians
5. What do reddish brown clouds turn out to be?
(a) a reflection of the setting sun
(b) a mirage
(c) a destructive swarm of locusts
(d) a desert dust storm
6. What is Darwin's assessment of New Zealand?
(a) It is not a pleasant place.
(b) It is too isolated.
(c) It is not diverse.
(d) It is a paradise.
7. What reception does the Beagle receive at New Zealand?
(a) no welcome at all
(b) a war party in canoes
(c) a thousand canoes of Maori
(d) a lackluster welcome from one canoe
8. What does Darwin discover at the saltpeter mine?
(a) crystal formations
(b) hot springs
(c) thistle forests
(d) nothing remarkable
9. Where does the Beagle head after New Zealand?
(a) Sydney, Australia
(d) the Philippines
10. After the miserable climate around Tierra del Fuego, what does Darwin enjoy about Chile?
(a) the hot desert climate
(b) the calm sea and white beaches
(c) the clear, dry and warm weather
(d) the gentle, constant rains
11. To what does Darwin compare the convict slave laborers in Australia?
(a) the conscripted military
(b) the slaves of Africa
(c) the slum dwellers of London
(d) the exiles on Devil's Rock
12. Why must they stop regularly while ascending Peuquenes ridge?
(a) because the rock formations shift
(b) because the mules get tired
(c) because of plants Darwin discovers
(d) because of the thin air
13. Where does Darwin find olive and orange trees and many varieties of vegetables?
(a) on the sides of Mount Compana
(b) in the Valley of Paradise
(c) in the Market of Santiago
(d) at the Bay of Valparaiso
14. What does Darwin begin to notice about the different Galapagos islands?
(a) the birds do not pass from one island to another
(b) each island has different kinds of frogs
(c) the animals and plants are all the same
(d) the natural inhabitants of each island differ in slight ways
15. What does Darwin see as they continue through the Andes mountains?
(a) loose diamonds
(b) rock slides
(c) mountain goats
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Darwin and his Tahitian guides able to get inland on the island?
2. Where does Darwin find fossil rich deposits and evidence of a recent land elevation?
3. What is located at the Bay of Valparaiso?
4. What does Darwin speculate about as he observes the snow melt percolating and loosening rocks?
5. What does the host at the Hacienda de San Isidro provide for Darwin?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)