|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What unusual thing exists on another island some miles away from Keeling Island?
(a) hot spring geysers
(b) deciduous trees
(c) strange monoliths
(d) fresh water wells
2. What does Darwin find in relationship to his interest in plants and animals?
(a) almost no new species
(b) too much diversity to classify all
(c) strange new species
(d) specimens too large to take back
3. What does Darwin discover at the saltpeter mine?
(a) nothing remarkable
(b) thistle forests
(c) hot springs
(d) crystal formations
4. Where does Darwin spend the night after descending the Blue Mountain plateau?
(a) at a mission
(b) at a cotton plantation
(c) at a sheep ranch
(d) at a modern inn
5. How does Darwin describe the dress of the Chilean miners?
6. What does Darwin say is too great and ambitious for affection, yet not great enough for respect?
(b) New Zealand
7. Arriving in Matavai Bay, what do they see coming toward the Beagle?
(a) many canoes launching from Tahiti
(b) schools of porpoises
(c) floating logs from a recent tsunami
(d) Tahitians swimming out to greet them
8. Why do they have a problem with making a meal at 11,000 feet?
(a) There are few sticks to use for making a fire.
(b) Water boils at a very low temperature at this altitude.
(c) The wind blows out their fire.
(d) Their supplies are all frozen.
9. What does Darwin see on the way to a saltpeter mine?
(c) wild cattle
10. How does Darwin describe the town of Port Louis?
(a) as shanties clustered along the shore
(b) as uncivilized
(c) as more French than Paris
(d) as dangeroous and hostile
11. Where does the Beagle head after New Zealand?
(a) Sydney, Australia
(c) the Philippines
12. What causes massive destruction and takes many lives at Valdavia?
(a) huge tsunamis
(b) a cyclone
(c) landslides off the mountains
(d) the eruption of several volcanoes
13. What does Darwin discover on the way back to Chile by way of the Uspallata pass north of Mendoza?
(a) quarts cliffs of many colors
(b) ruins of an ancient civilization
(c) hot springs where he stops to bathe
(d) silicified wood in the form of standing tree trunks
14. What does Darwin observe along the rivers of the Andes?
(a) the poverty of the people
(b) the color of the water
(c) the richness of mineral resources
(d) the calmness of the water
15. From where do many of the people living in Port Louis come?
(c) South Africa
Short Answer Questions
1. How are farms operated in Australia as Darwin rides through the countryside?
2. Where does Darwin find mostly desert with a few mines of low quality here and there?
3. What is the modern name of the large island off the eastern coast of Africa, known at the time Darwin was there as the Isle of France?
4. Where do the wooden houses best withstand the effects of the massive earthquake?
5. Who demonstrates their prowess with their spears launched with throwing sticks?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)