|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Darwin see from the Blue Mountains?
(a) vast areas of farmland
(b) many ships sailing around the continent
(c) tall trees growing in the valleys below
(d) cliffs with magnificent views of a harbor
2. What disturbs Darwin about the corn harvest in the area?
(a) the way it is harvested
(b) the color of the corn
(c) the poor quality of the corn
(d) the convict slave labor
3. Where does Darwin find mostly desert with a few mines of low quality here and there?
(a) the central part of Chile
(b) the eastern part of Chile
(c) the coastal part of Chile
(d) the northern part of Chile
4. What does Darwin see at Chatham Island?
(a) rock dwelling monkeys
(b) thriving fishing villages
(c) large pelicans along the coast
(d) huge tortoises weighing up to 200 pounds
5. What does Darwin say is too great and ambitious for affection, yet not great enough for respect?
(a) New Zealand
6. What does Darwin find in relationship to his interest in plants and animals?
(a) almost no new species
(b) specimens too large to take back
(c) strange new species
(d) too much diversity to classify all
7. Where is the Beagle after passing through the Strait of Magellan?
(a) the relatively calm Pacific Ocean
(b) headed toward New Zealand
(c) the Antarctic Sea
(d) the mouth of an unnamed river
8. What theory about volcanic activity and earthquakes does Darwin form that is years ahead of his time?
(a) volcanic activity has nothing to do with earthquakes
(b) fault lines come from underwater volcanoes
(c) fissures run along the same direction as the earthquake fault line
(d) volcanoes create fault lines in the earth
9. What is the product of the ugly palms Darwin sees going up the mountain?
(a) fiber for making ropes
(b) thatching for shack roofs
(c) large dates used to feed cattle
(d) sweet sap from which syrup is made
10. Arriving in Matavai Bay, what do they see coming toward the Beagle?
(a) Tahitians swimming out to greet them
(b) many canoes launching from Tahiti
(c) floating logs from a recent tsunami
(d) schools of porpoises
11. What do reddish brown clouds turn out to be?
(a) a mirage
(b) a destructive swarm of locusts
(c) a reflection of the setting sun
(d) a desert dust storm
12. What unusual thing exists on another island some miles away from Keeling Island?
(a) fresh water wells
(b) strange monoliths
(c) deciduous trees
(d) hot spring geysers
13. Where does Darwin prepare to cross the Andes Mountains through the Portillo pass?
(a) at Valparaiso
(b) at Lima
(c) at Bogota
(d) at Santiago
14. What is at the center of the atoll called Keeling Island?
(a) several small coral reefs
(b) evidence of a volcanic origin
(c) a fresh water lake
(d) the shallow and calm waters of a lagoon
15. How does Darwin describe the town of Port Louis?
(a) as more French than Paris
(b) as uncivilized
(c) as shanties clustered along the shore
(d) as dangeroous and hostile
Short Answer Questions
1. Headed back towards Chiloe, what does Darwin observe at night?
2. What has meant giving up his usual social circles and going off into unknown territories to meet unforeseen hardships?
3. Why do they have a problem with making a meal at 11,000 feet?
4. Why can Darwin not explore the forest of Chiloe?
5. What is the stormy place the Beagle visits where the people raise pigs and potatoes and catch fish?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)