|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens at Valdivia?
(a) a hailstorm
(b) the Beagle hits a reef
(c) the Beagle runs aground
(d) a massive earthquake
2. What does Darwin observe along the rivers of the Andes?
(a) the richness of mineral resources
(b) the color of the water
(c) the calmness of the water
(d) the poverty of the people
3. What is the product of the ugly palms Darwin sees going up the mountain?
(a) thatching for shack roofs
(b) fiber for making ropes
(c) sweet sap from which syrup is made
(d) large dates used to feed cattle
4. Why do Darwin and Mariano Gonzales take ten pack mules on the trek across the Andes?
(a) in case they have to hire extra guides
(b) in case they get lost
(c) in case they become snowed in
(d) in case they stay longer than planned
5. What does Darwin see on the way to a saltpeter mine?
(c) wild cattle
6. What are the Kauai pine?
(a) gnarled brush that covers the land
(b) pitiful cries of mountain wildcats
(c) trees that once grew all over the land
(d) trees as large as giant redwoods
7. On his second attempt, what is Capt. Fitz Roy able to navigate successfully?
(a) the Sea of Sighs
(b) the Strait of Magellan
(c) the Antarctic Channel
(d) the Great Barrier Reef
8. To what does Darwin compare the convict slave laborers in Australia?
(a) the conscripted military
(b) the slaves of Africa
(c) the exiles on Devil's Rock
(d) the slum dwellers of London
9. What theory of Darwin's after observing the atolls is still considered valid today?
(a) what makes coral grow in a circle
(b) why atolls are disappearing
(c) how the atolls were formed
(d) how atolls help the ocean ecology
10. What has meant giving up his usual social circles and going off into unknown territories to meet unforeseen hardships?
(a) Darwin's post graduate education
(b) Darwin's need for adventure
(c) Darwin's desire to get out of England
(d) Darwin's long voyage
11. What do Darwin and some crew members walk on when they visit the island of San Pedro?
(a) layers of dry salt
(b) soft, black sand
(c) layers of logs several yards thick
(d) hot rocks from a volcano
12. Arriving in Matavai Bay, what do they see coming toward the Beagle?
(a) Tahitians swimming out to greet them
(b) schools of porpoises
(c) many canoes launching from Tahiti
(d) floating logs from a recent tsunami
13. Where do the wooden houses best withstand the effects of the massive earthquake?
(a) the Island of Valdivia
(b) the houseboats of Chiloe
(c) where there are solid foundations
(d) the town of Concepcion
14. Headed back towards Chiloe, what does Darwin observe at night?
(a) the volcanic activity of mount Corcovado
(b) a pod of whales following the ship
(c) the phosphorescent sea creatures
(d) the clarity of the stars
15. How does Darwin describe the town of Port Louis?
(a) as shanties clustered along the shore
(b) as uncivilized
(c) as more French than Paris
(d) as dangeroous and hostile
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the host at the Hacienda de San Isidro provide for Darwin?
2. What is a principal industry of Chile that Darwin observes?
3. What keeps Darwin on board the Beagle after it sails to Lima?
4. Why do they have a problem with making a meal at 11,000 feet?
5. What does Darwin see at Chatham Island?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)