|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Darwin find fossil rich deposits and evidence of a recent land elevation?
(a) Ayers Rock
(c) New South Wales
(d) near Perth
2. What are the Kauai pine?
(a) trees as large as giant redwoods
(b) gnarled brush that covers the land
(c) trees that once grew all over the land
(d) pitiful cries of mountain wildcats
3. Who demonstrates their prowess with their spears launched with throwing sticks?
(a) Australian soldiers
(b) Australian school children
(c) Australian aborigines
(d) Australian cowboys
4. How are farms operated in Australia as Darwin rides through the countryside?
(a) with the use of child labor
(b) with forced labor from convicted felons
(c) by large families who do all the work
(d) by large numbers of horseback managers
5. What do Darwin and some crew members walk on when they visit the island of San Pedro?
(a) soft, black sand
(b) hot rocks from a volcano
(c) layers of dry salt
(d) layers of logs several yards thick
6. What causes massive destruction and takes many lives at Valdavia?
(a) landslides off the mountains
(b) huge tsunamis
(c) a cyclone
(d) the eruption of several volcanoes
7. What provides Darwin with more evidence of the relationships between volcanic activity and earthquakes?
(a) the destruction after the Valdivia earthquake
(b) the stories people tell about past disasters
(c) the temperature of the water after the tsunami
(d) the shape of the coast after the volcanoes erupt
8. What does Darwin discover at the saltpeter mine?
(a) thistle forests
(b) nothing remarkable
(c) crystal formations
(d) hot springs
9. What has meant giving up his usual social circles and going off into unknown territories to meet unforeseen hardships?
(a) Darwin's long voyage
(b) Darwin's desire to get out of England
(c) Darwin's post graduate education
(d) Darwin's need for adventure
10. How does Darwin compare the natives of New Zealand to the Tahitians?
(a) better educated and more peaceful
(b) shorter and less attractive
(c) more warlike and unpleasant company
(d) about the same
11. What does Darwin see that is the size of a rabbit but looks like a kangaroo?
(a) a jackalope
(b) a kangaroo rat
(c) a kangaroo cat
(d) a jack rabbit
12. What does Darwin write about the Chilean miners?
(a) They work long hours and enjoy life.
(b) They get paid large salaries.
(c) They spend all their money on drink and clothes.
(d) They are allowed to keep part of what they mine.
13. What does Darwin see from the Blue Mountains?
(a) tall trees growing in the valleys below
(b) vast areas of farmland
(c) cliffs with magnificent views of a harbor
(d) many ships sailing around the continent
14. What does Darwin discover on the way back to Chile by way of the Uspallata pass north of Mendoza?
(a) silicified wood in the form of standing tree trunks
(b) hot springs where he stops to bathe
(c) quarts cliffs of many colors
(d) ruins of an ancient civilization
15. Arriving in Matavai Bay, what do they see coming toward the Beagle?
(a) schools of porpoises
(b) many canoes launching from Tahiti
(c) floating logs from a recent tsunami
(d) Tahitians swimming out to greet them
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Darwin see as they continue through the Andes mountains?
2. What does Darwin see at Chatham Island?
3. What is a principal industry of Chile that Darwin observes?
4. After sailing away from Chile, where does the Beagle go?
5. Where does Darwin find olive and orange trees and many varieties of vegetables?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)