|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the modern name of the large island off the eastern coast of Africa, known at the time Darwin was there as the Isle of France?
2. On his second attempt, what is Capt. Fitz Roy able to navigate successfully?
(a) the Sea of Sighs
(b) the Great Barrier Reef
(c) the Strait of Magellan
(d) the Antarctic Channel
3. How does Darwin compare the natives of New Zealand to the Tahitians?
(a) about the same
(b) shorter and less attractive
(c) more warlike and unpleasant company
(d) better educated and more peaceful
4. What is located at the Bay of Valparaiso?
(a) the first of the southern islands
(b) Horsetail Falls
(c) the primary Chilean seaport
(d) the last Spanish trading post
5. Who demonstrates their prowess with their spears launched with throwing sticks?
(a) Australian aborigines
(b) Australian soldiers
(c) Australian school children
(d) Australian cowboys
6. Leaving Lima, where does the Beagle sail?
(a) the Galapagos archipelago
(b) Panama City
(c) Baja California
(d) back to Chile
7. What does Darwin discover at the saltpeter mine?
(a) thistle forests
(b) crystal formations
(c) nothing remarkable
(d) hot springs
8. Where do the wooden houses best withstand the effects of the massive earthquake?
(a) the houseboats of Chiloe
(b) the town of Concepcion
(c) the Island of Valdivia
(d) where there are solid foundations
9. Who are the unusually tall people compared to other natives of the area?
(a) the Incas
(b) the Patagonians
(c) the Tierrans
(d) the Argentinians
10. What social condition does Darwin argue against at the end of his book?
11. What theory of Darwin's after observing the atolls is still considered valid today?
(a) how the atolls were formed
(b) why atolls are disappearing
(c) how atolls help the ocean ecology
(d) what makes coral grow in a circle
12. Where does Darwin find olive and orange trees and many varieties of vegetables?
(a) at the Bay of Valparaiso
(b) on the sides of Mount Compana
(c) in the Market of Santiago
(d) in the Valley of Paradise
13. What does Darwin begin to notice about the different Galapagos islands?
(a) the animals and plants are all the same
(b) the natural inhabitants of each island differ in slight ways
(c) the birds do not pass from one island to another
(d) each island has different kinds of frogs
14. What is the product of the ugly palms Darwin sees going up the mountain?
(a) fiber for making ropes
(b) thatching for shack roofs
(c) large dates used to feed cattle
(d) sweet sap from which syrup is made
15. What theory about volcanic activity and earthquakes does Darwin form that is years ahead of his time?
(a) fissures run along the same direction as the earthquake fault line
(b) volcanic activity has nothing to do with earthquakes
(c) fault lines come from underwater volcanoes
(d) volcanoes create fault lines in the earth
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Darwin compare the convict slave laborers in Australia?
2. What do Darwin and some crew members walk on when they visit the island of San Pedro?
3. Where does Darwin particularly admire the view?
4. Why must they stop regularly while ascending Peuquenes ridge?
5. What does Darwin see at Chatham Island?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)