|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What impresses Darwin about the Tahitians?
(a) their modesty of dress
(b) their body covering tattoos
(c) their friendliness and good looks, despite their tattoos
(d) their warlike nature
2. What feeds the inhabitants' pigs and a large kind of crab on Keeling Island?
(a) coconut trees
(b) wild rice
(d) berry bushes
3. Why can Darwin not explore the forest of Chiloe?
(a) It is too wet to support horse or man,
(b) It is held sacred by the natives.
(c) It is filled with poisonous plants.
(d) It is too thick to pass through.
4. Why does the Beagle stop for three days at the Chonos Archipelago?
(a) to replenish its supplies
(b) to look for crew members
(c) because of a storm
(d) because of sickness
5. What does Darwin speculate about as he observes the snow melt percolating and loosening rocks?
(a) how plants are introduced
(b) how the geology develops
(c) how minerals are formed
(d) how rich ores are found
6. Why must they stop regularly while ascending Peuquenes ridge?
(a) because the rock formations shift
(b) because of plants Darwin discovers
(c) because the mules get tired
(d) because of the thin air
7. Why do they have a problem with making a meal at 11,000 feet?
(a) The wind blows out their fire.
(b) There are few sticks to use for making a fire.
(c) Their supplies are all frozen.
(d) Water boils at a very low temperature at this altitude.
8. What is the product of the ugly palms Darwin sees going up the mountain?
(a) thatching for shack roofs
(b) fiber for making ropes
(c) large dates used to feed cattle
(d) sweet sap from which syrup is made
9. From where do many of the people living in Port Louis come?
(d) South Africa
10. What is the stormy place the Beagle visits where the people raise pigs and potatoes and catch fish?
(a) the island of Chiloe
(b) the island of Santiago
(c) the Isle of Man
(d) the Virgin Islands
11. On his way up the coast of Chile toward Copiapo, why does Darwin turn inland toward the mining area?
(a) He hears about strange plant life at the mines.
(b) He is bored looking at the sea all the time.
(c) He does not find much of interest along the coast.
(d) The coastline becomes impassable.
12. On his second attempt, what is Capt. Fitz Roy able to navigate successfully?
(a) the Antarctic Channel
(b) the Sea of Sighs
(c) the Great Barrier Reef
(d) the Strait of Magellan
13. How does Darwin compare the natives of New Zealand to the Tahitians?
(a) shorter and less attractive
(b) better educated and more peaceful
(c) about the same
(d) more warlike and unpleasant company
14. Arriving in Matavai Bay, what do they see coming toward the Beagle?
(a) schools of porpoises
(b) floating logs from a recent tsunami
(c) many canoes launching from Tahiti
(d) Tahitians swimming out to greet them
15. What do reddish brown clouds turn out to be?
(a) a destructive swarm of locusts
(b) a desert dust storm
(c) a reflection of the setting sun
(d) a mirage
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Darwin come across that has all the trappings of an English farm?
2. What does Darwin see as they continue through the Andes mountains?
3. How does Darwin describe the town of Port Louis?
4. Where does the Beagle head after New Zealand?
5. What does the host at the Hacienda de San Isidro provide for Darwin?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)