|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes massive destruction and takes many lives at Valdavia?
(a) the eruption of several volcanoes
(b) huge tsunamis
(c) landslides off the mountains
(d) a cyclone
2. What turns out to be a raised plain about 3,000 feet above sea level?
(a) the Blue Mountain foothills
(b) Ayers Rock
(c) the Blue Mountains
(d) the inland sea bed
3. What is the modern name of the large island off the eastern coast of Africa, known at the time Darwin was there as the Isle of France?
4. What does Darwin see on the way to a saltpeter mine?
(c) wild cattle
5. What has Darwin observed on the 3,200 mile trip from the Galapagos?
(a) a blue whale mother and baby
(b) a formation of coral known as an atoll
(c) great white sharks circling the Beagle
(d) a maelstrom
6. What is the strange phenomenon Darwin sees at the mountain summit?
(a) rock flowers
(b) black rain
(c) ice castles
(d) red snow
7. What does Darwin come across that has all the trappings of an English farm?
(a) an experimental farm
(b) a prison farm
(c) a missionary settlement
(d) a settlement of Dutch reformers
8. What is at the center of the atoll called Keeling Island?
(a) a fresh water lake
(b) several small coral reefs
(c) evidence of a volcanic origin
(d) the shallow and calm waters of a lagoon
9. How long has Darwin been at sea by the time he visits New Zealand?
(a) three years
(b) nine months
(c) four years
(d) a year and a half
10. Who are the six sailors who show up at the Beagle?
(a) keepers of a lighthouse
(b) guards from a prisoner ship
(c) survivors of a shipwreck
(d) runaways from a whaling ship
11. What does Darwin begin to notice about the different Galapagos islands?
(a) the animals and plants are all the same
(b) the natural inhabitants of each island differ in slight ways
(c) the birds do not pass from one island to another
(d) each island has different kinds of frogs
12. From where do many of the people living in Port Louis come?
(a) South Africa
13. What does Darwin observe along the rivers of the Andes?
(a) the calmness of the water
(b) the richness of mineral resources
(c) the poverty of the people
(d) the color of the water
14. What must the people do at Iquique?
(a) fight the natives
(b) grow their own food
(c) build strong houses
(d) import everything
15. What does Darwin see that is the size of a rabbit but looks like a kangaroo?
(a) a jack rabbit
(b) a jackalope
(c) a kangaroo cat
(d) a kangaroo rat
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Darwin write about the Chilean miners?
2. What does Darwin speculate about as he observes the snow melt percolating and loosening rocks?
3. Where does Darwin prepare to cross the Andes Mountains through the Portillo pass?
4. Why do Darwin and Mariano Gonzales take ten pack mules on the trek across the Andes?
5. What is the product of the ugly palms Darwin sees going up the mountain?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)