|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Darwin see as the disadvantages such as monetary inflation and a sense of personal anonymity in Sydney?
(a) the effects of rapid growth
(b) its distance from Europe
(c) the number of criminals there
(d) an ineffective government
2. What does Darwin see that is the size of a rabbit but looks like a kangaroo?
(a) a jackalope
(b) a kangaroo rat
(c) a kangaroo cat
(d) a jack rabbit
3. What has Darwin observed on the 3,200 mile trip from the Galapagos?
(a) a blue whale mother and baby
(b) great white sharks circling the Beagle
(c) a formation of coral known as an atoll
(d) a maelstrom
4. Arriving in Matavai Bay, what do they see coming toward the Beagle?
(a) Tahitians swimming out to greet them
(b) many canoes launching from Tahiti
(c) schools of porpoises
(d) floating logs from a recent tsunami
5. Headed back towards Chiloe, what does Darwin observe at night?
(a) the phosphorescent sea creatures
(b) a pod of whales following the ship
(c) the volcanic activity of mount Corcovado
(d) the clarity of the stars
6. What is at the center of the atoll called Keeling Island?
(a) the shallow and calm waters of a lagoon
(b) a fresh water lake
(c) evidence of a volcanic origin
(d) several small coral reefs
7. What unusual thing exists on another island some miles away from Keeling Island?
(a) deciduous trees
(b) fresh water wells
(c) strange monoliths
(d) hot spring geysers
8. What does Darwin see as they continue through the Andes mountains?
(b) rock slides
(c) loose diamonds
(d) mountain goats
9. How does Darwin describe the dress of the Chilean miners?
10. Where does the Beagle head after New Zealand?
(b) the Philippines
(c) Sydney, Australia
11. After the miserable climate around Tierra del Fuego, what does Darwin enjoy about Chile?
(a) the calm sea and white beaches
(b) the clear, dry and warm weather
(c) the gentle, constant rains
(d) the hot desert climate
12. What does Darwin see at Chatham Island?
(a) huge tortoises weighing up to 200 pounds
(b) large pelicans along the coast
(c) rock dwelling monkeys
(d) thriving fishing villages
13. What causes massive destruction and takes many lives at Valdavia?
(a) the eruption of several volcanoes
(b) huge tsunamis
(c) a cyclone
(d) landslides off the mountains
14. Where does Darwin particularly admire the view?
(a) the Aqua del Guanaco spring
(b) the Hacienda de San Isidro
(c) the copper mines of Jajuel
(d) the summit of Bell Mountain
15. What is Darwin's assessment of New Zealand?
(a) It is not a pleasant place.
(b) It is too isolated.
(c) It is not diverse.
(d) It is a paradise.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Darwin compare the natives of New Zealand to the Tahitians?
2. Why does the Beagle stop for three days at the Chonos Archipelago?
3. What does Darwin speculate about as he observes the snow melt percolating and loosening rocks?
4. What disturbs Darwin about the corn harvest in the area?
5. What feeds the inhabitants' pigs and a large kind of crab on Keeling Island?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)