|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Darwin and Mariano Gonzales take ten pack mules on the trek across the Andes?
(a) in case they stay longer than planned
(b) in case they have to hire extra guides
(c) in case they become snowed in
(d) in case they get lost
2. What does Darwin discover on the way back to Chile by way of the Uspallata pass north of Mendoza?
(a) hot springs where he stops to bathe
(b) quarts cliffs of many colors
(c) ruins of an ancient civilization
(d) silicified wood in the form of standing tree trunks
3. What feeds the inhabitants' pigs and a large kind of crab on Keeling Island?
(b) wild rice
(c) berry bushes
(d) coconut trees
4. Arriving in Matavai Bay, what do they see coming toward the Beagle?
(a) Tahitians swimming out to greet them
(b) schools of porpoises
(c) floating logs from a recent tsunami
(d) many canoes launching from Tahiti
5. After sailing away from Chile, where does the Beagle go?
(a) Iquique in Peru
(b) Lima, Peru
(c) Panama city
(d) Bogata, Columbia
6. How does Darwin get to the Blue Mountains?
(a) riding a camel
(b) in a buckboard wagon
(c) across the Nepean River in a ferry boat
(d) across the Australian desert
7. Who are the six sailors who show up at the Beagle?
(a) runaways from a whaling ship
(b) guards from a prisoner ship
(c) survivors of a shipwreck
(d) keepers of a lighthouse
8. What are the Kauai pine?
(a) pitiful cries of mountain wildcats
(b) gnarled brush that covers the land
(c) trees as large as giant redwoods
(d) trees that once grew all over the land
9. What must Darwin and his guide cross on the way back to Hacienda de San Isidro?
(a) a line of military guarding the border
(b) a rapids in a mountain river
(c) a dry, parched desert
(d) a suspension bridge made of rope and hide
10. How are farms operated in Australia as Darwin rides through the countryside?
(a) with the use of child labor
(b) with forced labor from convicted felons
(c) by large families who do all the work
(d) by large numbers of horseback managers
11. What must the people do at Iquique?
(a) grow their own food
(b) build strong houses
(c) fight the natives
(d) import everything
12. What social condition does Darwin argue against at the end of his book?
13. What does Darwin see from the Blue Mountains?
(a) many ships sailing around the continent
(b) cliffs with magnificent views of a harbor
(c) vast areas of farmland
(d) tall trees growing in the valleys below
14. After the miserable climate around Tierra del Fuego, what does Darwin enjoy about Chile?
(a) the gentle, constant rains
(b) the hot desert climate
(c) the calm sea and white beaches
(d) the clear, dry and warm weather
15. What reception does the Beagle receive at New Zealand?
(a) a war party in canoes
(b) a thousand canoes of Maori
(c) a lackluster welcome from one canoe
(d) no welcome at all
Short Answer Questions
1. Walking along a road cut through the landscape, what does Darwin reflect on?
2. Who demonstrates their prowess with their spears launched with throwing sticks?
3. Where does Darwin spend the night after descending the Blue Mountain plateau?
4. What does Darwin see as they continue through the Andes mountains?
5. Where do the wooden houses best withstand the effects of the massive earthquake?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)