|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What social condition does Darwin argue against at the end of his book?
2. What does the host at the Hacienda de San Isidro provide for Darwin?
(a) maps of the Chilean coastline
(b) a fresh horse and a guide
(c) a secretary to transcribe his notes
(d) clothes more suitable for the weather
3. What does Darwin discover at the saltpeter mine?
(a) thistle forests
(b) hot springs
(c) crystal formations
(d) nothing remarkable
4. What is the modern name of the large island off the eastern coast of Africa, known at the time Darwin was there as the Isle of France?
5. What turns out to be a raised plain about 3,000 feet above sea level?
(a) the Blue Mountains
(b) the Blue Mountain foothills
(c) Ayers Rock
(d) the inland sea bed
6. What does Darwin observe along the rivers of the Andes?
(a) the color of the water
(b) the richness of mineral resources
(c) the poverty of the people
(d) the calmness of the water
7. Where does Darwin find fossil rich deposits and evidence of a recent land elevation?
(b) near Perth
(c) Ayers Rock
(d) New South Wales
8. To what does Darwin compare the convict slave laborers in Australia?
(a) the slaves of Africa
(b) the slum dwellers of London
(c) the exiles on Devil's Rock
(d) the conscripted military
9. What unusual thing exists on another island some miles away from Keeling Island?
(a) hot spring geysers
(b) deciduous trees
(c) fresh water wells
(d) strange monoliths
10. Where does Darwin particularly admire the view?
(a) the summit of Bell Mountain
(b) the Hacienda de San Isidro
(c) the copper mines of Jajuel
(d) the Aqua del Guanaco spring
11. Walking along a road cut through the landscape, what does Darwin reflect on?
(a) how at one time the land was covered with forests
(b) how civilization improves a land area
(c) how devoid of resources New Zealand is
(d) how far the Beagle has traveled
12. What does Darwin see at Chatham Island?
(a) large pelicans along the coast
(b) huge tortoises weighing up to 200 pounds
(c) rock dwelling monkeys
(d) thriving fishing villages
13. How does Darwin compare the natives of New Zealand to the Tahitians?
(a) better educated and more peaceful
(b) more warlike and unpleasant company
(c) about the same
(d) shorter and less attractive
14. Where is the Beagle after passing through the Strait of Magellan?
(a) headed toward New Zealand
(b) the mouth of an unnamed river
(c) the Antarctic Sea
(d) the relatively calm Pacific Ocean
15. Where does Darwin see plants and animals similar to what he saw on the plains of Patagonia?
(a) at the summit of the mountains
(b) in mountain caves
(c) at Machu Picchu
(d) at their camp at Los Arenales
Short Answer Questions
1. From where do many of the people living in Port Louis come?
2. Leaving Lima, where does the Beagle sail?
3. What causes massive destruction and takes many lives at Valdavia?
4. What happens at Valdivia?
5. What does Darwin speculate about as he observes the snow melt percolating and loosening rocks?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)