|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where has Claire sent Hoby in Act 3, Scene 1?
2. What was Claire's father's name in the play?
3. Who does the Schoolmaster compare Claire to in Act 3?
4. The author states in the postscript that the townspeople must emphatically not be portrayed as what?
5. Who does Ill tell the Priest to pray for in Act 3, Scene 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Act 3, Scene 3 change the tone of the play and the reader's view of the main characters?
2. What does the author suggest the play resembles in the postscript?
3. In Act 3, Scene 2, how do the townspeople view Ill?
4. What is expressed in the final song of the play?
5. How did the child of Ill and Claire die?
6. What does the mayor tell Ill in Act 3, Scene 2 when offering him the gun?
7. What does Claire respond to the offer in Act 3, Scene 1?
8. What is the author's point in writing the postscript?
9. What takes place in the climax of the play? Where is this scene located?
10. How does Durrenmatt say he relates to the characters of the play in the postscript?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolism of Claire's appearance. What hair color does she have? Is she attractive? How old is the character? What does this symbolism relate to thematically?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the town of Guellen. What does the exposition tell us of the town's circumstances?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the plot of the play. Where is the exposition, rising action, climax, and denouement?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)