|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose performance in the choir does Claire remark upon in Act 3, Scene 1?
2. Who took away the child that Claire bore?
3. Who does not raise a hand in the vote in Act 3, Scene 4?
4. What has Ill's son bought in Act 3, Scene 3?
5. What is Claire wearing in Act 3, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Ill meet Claire in Act 3, Scene 3? Who is she with?
2. What does Durrenmatt say in reference to allegory or symbolism in the postscript?
3. How has Ill's character undergone a drastic change in Act 3, Scene 2?
4. How is Claire's love of power revealed in Act 3, Scene 1?
5. Who has arrived in the town in Act 3, Scene 2? What is the townspeople's concern about this?
6. What does Claire reveal to her guests in Act 3, Scene 1 regarding Guellen?
7. What are Ill's final requests before dying?
8. What conclusion has Ill come to in Act 3, Scene 2? Who does he discuss this with in his shop?
9. How does Act 3, Scene 3 change the tone of the play and the reader's view of the main characters?
10. What plea do the visitors make to Claire in Act 3, Scene 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes of vengeance and justice in The Visitor. How are these themes manifested and by whom? Are they successful?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of power and control in the play. How does Claire embody this theme? What choices has she made which contribute to this?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the elements of tragedy in the play. What staging characteristics are similar to Greek Tragedy? What themes are relevant to both?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)