|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of cigarettes does the butcher buy in Act 3, Scene 2?
2. What was Claire's father's name in the play?
3. Who does Claire say her ninth husband reminds her of in Act 3, Scene 3?
4. Who does the author compare the character of Claire to in the postscript?
5. The author in the postscript says the characters speak as befits what in the final scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ill ask Claire about in Act 3, Scene 3? What is her reply?
2. What is the author's point in writing the postscript?
3. What is the outcome of the vote in Act 3, Scene 4? How do the townspeople justify it?
4. In Act 3, Scene 2, how do the townspeople view Ill?
5. What takes place in the climax of the play? Where is this scene located?
6. What does Ill thank Claire for in Act 3, Scene 3?
7. What are Claire's final words to Ill in Act 3, Scene 3?
8. What does Durrenmatt say regarding the setting of the play?
9. How is Claire's love of power revealed in Act 3, Scene 1?
10. How does Act 3, Scene 3 change the tone of the play and the reader's view of the main characters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes of vengeance and justice in The Visitor. How are these themes manifested and by whom? Are they successful?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the overall irony of The Visit. What in the outcome of the play is ironic about the two main characters and their situations?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the author's notes in the postscript describing the approach to direction and performance of the play. What elements are essential? What should not be emphasized too deeply?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)