|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who owns Konrad's Village Wood?
2. Who tries to speak up to the reporters in Act 3, Scene 2?
3. What does Claire offer to Ill in Act 3, Scene 3?
4. Where has Claire sent Hoby in Act 3, Scene 1?
5. Who speaks up with questions when Ill takes the stage at the town meeting in Act 3, Scene 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Claire's love of power revealed in Act 3, Scene 1?
2. What takes place in the climax of the play? Where is this scene located?
3. What does Durrenmatt say regarding the setting of the play?
4. Who meets Claire in Act 3, Scene 1? Why?
5. What does Ill thank Claire for in Act 3, Scene 3?
6. How does Durrenmatt say he relates to the characters of the play in the postscript?
7. What is the outcome of the vote in Act 3, Scene 4? How do the townspeople justify it?
8. What does Claire reveal to her guests in Act 3, Scene 1 regarding Guellen?
9. What is revealed about the townspeople in the final scene of the play?
10. What is the author's point in writing the postscript?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the elements of tragedy in the play. What staging characteristics are similar to Greek Tragedy? What themes are relevant to both?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of the Priest and the Schoolmaster. How are their moral values different? How are the characters alike?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the themes of vengeance and justice in The Visitor. How are these themes manifested and by whom? Are they successful?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)