|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The painter gives Mrs. Ill a portrait of whom in Act 3, Scene 2?
2. What did the choir perform in Act 3, Scene 1?
3. From what passage of the bible did the Priest make a sermon in Act 3, Scene 1?
4. What does Claire remark that she hates in Act 3, Scene 3?
5. What is Mrs. Ill referring to when she says in Act 3, "They're in fashion today"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What plea do the visitors make to Claire in Act 3, Scene 1?
2. What is expressed in the final song of the play?
3. Where does Ill meet Claire in Act 3, Scene 3? Who is she with?
4. How is Claire's love of power revealed in Act 3, Scene 1?
5. What is absurd about the proposition made to Claire in Act 3, Scene 1?
6. What does Durrenmatt say regarding the setting of the play?
7. What does Durrenmatt mean regarding "not imposing excessive meaning" in the postscript?
8. Who begins to tell the truth to the press in Act 3, Scene 2? Who stops him?
9. What does Durrenmatt say in reference to allegory or symbolism in the postscript?
10. What are Ill's final requests before dying?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the character of Claire to that of Medea, whom is mentioned on multiple occasions in the play. How are they similar?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of the Priest and the Schoolmaster. How are their moral values different? How are the characters alike?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolism of Claire's appearance. What hair color does she have? Is she attractive? How old is the character? What does this symbolism relate to thematically?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)