|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Claire recall that Ill used to buy cigarettes from in their youth?
2. What was Claire's father's name in the play?
3. Who tries to speak up to the reporters in Act 3, Scene 2?
4. What does the author write gives rise to speech in the postscript?
5. What is Ill doing upstairs in Act 3, Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What plea do the visitors make to Claire in Act 3, Scene 1?
2. What conclusion has Ill come to in Act 3, Scene 2? Who does he discuss this with in his shop?
3. What does Claire respond to the offer in Act 3, Scene 1?
4. Who begins to tell the truth to the press in Act 3, Scene 2? Who stops him?
5. How does Durrenmatt say he relates to the characters of the play in the postscript?
6. What does Durrenmatt say in reference to allegory or symbolism in the postscript?
7. What takes place in the climax of the play? Where is this scene located?
8. What does Ill ask Claire about in Act 3, Scene 3? What is her reply?
9. What is revealed about the townspeople in the final scene of the play?
10. Who meets Claire in Act 3, Scene 1? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the town of Guellen. What does the exposition tell us of the town's circumstances?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of "Greed" as it applies to the play. Which characters embody greed? How is this represented?
Essay Topic 3
What do the townspeople sing in the final chorus of the play? How does this represent the author's views of poverty in comparison to greed?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)