|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Claire say will be following after the eunuchs soon in Act 3, Scene 3?
2. What kind of cigarettes does the butcher buy in Act 3, Scene 2?
3. What does Claire tell her visitors they are covered in in Act 3, Scene 1?
4. What is Claire's ninth husband?
5. Whose performance in the choir does Claire remark upon in Act 3, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ill thank Claire for in Act 3, Scene 3?
2. What does Durrenmatt say in reference to allegory or symbolism in the postscript?
3. What does Claire reveal to her guests in Act 3, Scene 1 regarding Guellen?
4. How does Act 3, Scene 3 change the tone of the play and the reader's view of the main characters?
5. What does the mayor tell Ill in Act 3, Scene 2 when offering him the gun?
6. In Act 3, Scene 2, how do the townspeople view Ill?
7. Who has arrived in the town in Act 3, Scene 2? What is the townspeople's concern about this?
8. What are Ill's final requests before dying?
9. What does Ill ask Claire about in Act 3, Scene 3? What is her reply?
10. What is the author's point in writing the postscript?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do the townspeople sing in the final chorus of the play? How does this represent the author's views of poverty in comparison to greed?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the overall irony of The Visit. What in the outcome of the play is ironic about the two main characters and their situations?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the plot of the play. Where is the exposition, rising action, climax, and denouement?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)