|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the author say the characters speak in the final scene in the postscript?
2. The inscription which descends in Act 3, Scene 4 reads, "Life is Serious, ____ Serene."
3. What was Claire's father's occupation?
4. What does Claire offer to Ill in Act 3, Scene 3?
5. The author states in the postscript that the townspeople must emphatically not be portrayed as what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed about the townspeople in the final scene of the play?
2. What is expressed in the final song of the play?
3. Where does Ill meet Claire in Act 3, Scene 3? Who is she with?
4. What does Durrenmatt mean regarding "not imposing excessive meaning" in the postscript?
5. How does Durrenmatt say he relates to the characters of the play in the postscript?
6. How did the child of Ill and Claire die?
7. What is absurd about the proposition made to Claire in Act 3, Scene 1?
8. What plea do the visitors make to Claire in Act 3, Scene 1?
9. What does Durrenmatt say regarding the setting of the play?
10. What does Claire reveal to her guests in Act 3, Scene 1 regarding Guellen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of foreshadowing in The Visit. What are some examples of foreshadowing established as early as Act 1, Scene 1? What does this dialogue foretell?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the elements of Absurdism, Epic Theater, Satire, and Comedy in The Visitor. Name specific examples of each within the text and define the terms in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of denial in The Visit. Who principally exhibits this theme and why? How does this theme relate to the historical significance of the play?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)