|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author write gives rise to speech in the postscript?
2. Who does the Schoolmaster say he is an admirer of in Act 3, Scene 2?
3. What did the choir perform in Act 3, Scene 1?
4. The inscription which descends in Act 3, Scene 4 reads, "Life is Serious, ____ Serene."
5. What does Claire offer to Ill in Act 3, Scene 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Claire's final words to Ill in Act 3, Scene 3?
2. What does Ill ask Claire about in Act 3, Scene 3? What is her reply?
3. What does Durrenmatt mean regarding "not imposing excessive meaning" in the postscript?
4. Where does Ill meet Claire in Act 3, Scene 3? Who is she with?
5. What does the mayor tell Ill in Act 3, Scene 2 when offering him the gun?
6. What does Durrenmatt say in reference to allegory or symbolism in the postscript?
7. Who has arrived in the town in Act 3, Scene 2? What is the townspeople's concern about this?
8. What does Claire reveal to her guests in Act 3, Scene 1 regarding Guellen?
9. How did the child of Ill and Claire die?
10. What plea do the visitors make to Claire in Act 3, Scene 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of power and control in the play. How does Claire embody this theme? What choices has she made which contribute to this?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the plot of the play. Where is the exposition, rising action, climax, and denouement?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the play in the context of European history in the Post-WWII era. How did the war and its aftermath influence the author?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)