|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the postscript, the author writes that "just as any creature is sealed off inside its skin, so the play is sealed off inside ____."
2. What is Claire's ninth husband?
3. The painter gives Mrs. Ill a portrait of whom in Act 3, Scene 2?
4. What does Claire offer to Ill in Act 3, Scene 3?
5. What does Claire tell her visitors they are covered in in Act 3, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Claire's final words to Ill in Act 3, Scene 3?
2. How did the child of Ill and Claire die?
3. What does Ill ask Claire about in Act 3, Scene 3? What is her reply?
4. What does the author suggest the play resembles in the postscript?
5. What is absurd about the proposition made to Claire in Act 3, Scene 1?
6. In Act 3, Scene 2, how do the townspeople view Ill?
7. What does Claire respond to the offer in Act 3, Scene 1?
8. How is Claire's love of power revealed in Act 3, Scene 1?
9. What conclusion has Ill come to in Act 3, Scene 2? Who does he discuss this with in his shop?
10. What plea do the visitors make to Claire in Act 3, Scene 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the plot of the play. Where is the exposition, rising action, climax, and denouement?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of denial in The Visit. Who principally exhibits this theme and why? How does this theme relate to the historical significance of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of the Priest and the Schoolmaster. How are their moral values different? How are the characters alike?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)