|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of cigarettes does the butcher buy in Act 3, Scene 2?
2. Where does Act 3, Scene 2 take place?
3. What has Ill's son bought in Act 3, Scene 3?
4. The author states that producers and directors of the play will likely come nearest the mark of its intention if they approach it in the style of what?
5. What is Claire wearing in Act 3, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is expressed in the final song of the play?
2. What takes place in the climax of the play? Where is this scene located?
3. What does Durrenmatt mean regarding "not imposing excessive meaning" in the postscript?
4. In Act 3, Scene 2, how do the townspeople view Ill?
5. What does Durrenmatt say in reference to allegory or symbolism in the postscript?
6. What does the mayor tell Ill in Act 3, Scene 2 when offering him the gun?
7. How is Claire's love of power revealed in Act 3, Scene 1?
8. What does Ill thank Claire for in Act 3, Scene 3?
9. Why is the vote held twice in the final scene? Why do the reporters leave?
10. What does Claire reveal to her guests in Act 3, Scene 1 regarding Guellen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the play in the context of European history in the Post-WWII era. How did the war and its aftermath influence the author?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the town of Guellen. What does the exposition tell us of the town's circumstances?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of the Priest and the Schoolmaster. How are their moral values different? How are the characters alike?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)