|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where has Claire sent Hoby in Act 3, Scene 1?
2. The painter gives Mrs. Ill a portrait of whom in Act 3, Scene 2?
3. What is Claire wearing in Act 3, Scene 1?
4. What is the principle concern that Claire's visitors come to speak to her about in Act 3, Scene 1?
5. Who took away the child that Claire bore?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the mayor tell Ill in Act 3, Scene 2 when offering him the gun?
2. What is absurd about the proposition made to Claire in Act 3, Scene 1?
3. What does Claire reveal to her guests in Act 3, Scene 1 regarding Guellen?
4. What are Claire's final words to Ill in Act 3, Scene 3?
5. Who has arrived in the town in Act 3, Scene 2? What is the townspeople's concern about this?
6. How does Durrenmatt say he relates to the characters of the play in the postscript?
7. How did the child of Ill and Claire die?
8. What conclusion has Ill come to in Act 3, Scene 2? Who does he discuss this with in his shop?
9. What is expressed in the final song of the play?
10. What does the author suggest the play resembles in the postscript?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the terms "action" and "objective" in relation to the character of Claire. Describe some of the actions this character takes and the motivating forces behind them.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolism of Claire's appearance. What hair color does she have? Is she attractive? How old is the character? What does this symbolism relate to thematically?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the themes of vengeance and justice in The Visitor. How are these themes manifested and by whom? Are they successful?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)