|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the principle concern that Claire's visitors come to speak to her about in Act 3, Scene 1?
2. What does the author claim that Claire does not represent in the play?
3. What is Mrs. Ill referring to when she says in Act 3, "They're in fashion today"?
4. Man One says that every bridesmaid was a what in Act 3, Scene 2?
5. What kind of car does Hoby have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Durrenmatt say regarding the setting of the play?
2. What does Ill ask Claire about in Act 3, Scene 3? What is her reply?
3. What are Ill's final requests before dying?
4. Where does Ill meet Claire in Act 3, Scene 3? Who is she with?
5. What does Ill thank Claire for in Act 3, Scene 3?
6. How has Ill's character undergone a drastic change in Act 3, Scene 2?
7. What is revealed about the townspeople in the final scene of the play?
8. How does Act 3, Scene 3 change the tone of the play and the reader's view of the main characters?
9. What is the outcome of the vote in Act 3, Scene 4? How do the townspeople justify it?
10. Why is the vote held twice in the final scene? Why do the reporters leave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the play in the context of European history in the Post-WWII era. How did the war and its aftermath influence the author?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of vengeance and justice in The Visitor. How are these themes manifested and by whom? Are they successful?
Essay Topic 3
Examine and analyze the character of Ill. How does this character come to embody a tragic hero? What transition does he make in the course of the play?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)