|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author writes in the postscript that Ill's family is not wicked, only what?
2. What does the author write gives rise to speech in the postscript?
3. What does the Schoolmaster claim the town is moved by in Act 3, Scene 4?
4. What does the author state that Ill ultimately receives in the end of the play?
5. What is the name of Ill's daughter in the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. What takes place in the climax of the play? Where is this scene located?
2. What conclusion has Ill come to in Act 3, Scene 2? Who does he discuss this with in his shop?
3. What are Claire's final words to Ill in Act 3, Scene 3?
4. What is the outcome of the vote in Act 3, Scene 4? How do the townspeople justify it?
5. How does Durrenmatt say he relates to the characters of the play in the postscript?
6. Where does Ill meet Claire in Act 3, Scene 3? Who is she with?
7. Who meets Claire in Act 3, Scene 1? Why?
8. What is expressed in the final song of the play?
9. How has Ill's character undergone a drastic change in Act 3, Scene 2?
10. What does Durrenmatt mean regarding "not imposing excessive meaning" in the postscript?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the play in the context of European history in the Post-WWII era. How did the war and its aftermath influence the author?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of vengeance and justice in The Visitor. How are these themes manifested and by whom? Are they successful?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the overall irony of The Visit. What in the outcome of the play is ironic about the two main characters and their situations?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)