|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author claim must not be overlooked in the character of Claire?
2. In the postscript, the author writes that "just as any creature is sealed off inside its skin, so the play is sealed off inside ____."
3. Who does Claire say will be following after the eunuchs soon in Act 3, Scene 3?
4. What does the Schoolmaster claim the town is "not" moved by in its actions in Act 3, Scene 4?
5. Who is taking a course in literature in Act 3, Scene 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Durrenmatt say in reference to allegory or symbolism in the postscript?
2. What are Claire's final words to Ill in Act 3, Scene 3?
3. What does Ill ask Claire about in Act 3, Scene 3? What is her reply?
4. How does Act 3, Scene 3 change the tone of the play and the reader's view of the main characters?
5. How did the child of Ill and Claire die?
6. What does Durrenmatt mean regarding "not imposing excessive meaning" in the postscript?
7. What does the mayor tell Ill in Act 3, Scene 2 when offering him the gun?
8. What conclusion has Ill come to in Act 3, Scene 2? Who does he discuss this with in his shop?
9. What is expressed in the final song of the play?
10. What does Claire respond to the offer in Act 3, Scene 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss "motif" and "symbolism" in the play. How does the author use these techniques to represent thematic ideas?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the plot of the play. Where is the exposition, rising action, climax, and denouement?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the elements of Absurdism, Epic Theater, Satire, and Comedy in The Visitor. Name specific examples of each within the text and define the terms in your answer.
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)