|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The inscription which descends in Act 3, Scene 4 reads, "Life is Serious, ____ Serene."
2. What is Claire's ninth husband?
3. Where do Claire and Ill meet in Act 3, Scene 3?
4. Who does Claire say her ninth husband reminds her of in Act 3, Scene 3?
5. What does Claire use to examine her guests in Act 3, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ill ask Claire about in Act 3, Scene 3? What is her reply?
2. What is revealed about the townspeople in the final scene of the play?
3. How does Act 3, Scene 3 change the tone of the play and the reader's view of the main characters?
4. What does Ill thank Claire for in Act 3, Scene 3?
5. What does Claire respond to the offer in Act 3, Scene 1?
6. How is Claire's love of power revealed in Act 3, Scene 1?
7. What is absurd about the proposition made to Claire in Act 3, Scene 1?
8. Who begins to tell the truth to the press in Act 3, Scene 2? Who stops him?
9. Who meets Claire in Act 3, Scene 1? Why?
10. What takes place in the climax of the play? Where is this scene located?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the town of Guellen. What does the exposition tell us of the town's circumstances?
Essay Topic 2
What opinion of religion does the author express in the play? How is this thematically and symbolically represented?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss "motif" and "symbolism" in the play. How does the author use these techniques to represent thematic ideas?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)