|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What/who is shot in front of Ill's shop in Act 2, Scene 2?
2. Who composed a quartet in the town of The Visit?
3. In Act 2, Scene 3, who is playing music?
4. Who does the Priest ask to button his soutane?
5. What husband is Claire with when she first arrives in the town?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 1, is the town already set to kill Ill? What is his principle concern?
2. Where does Ill go in Act 2, Scene 2? What is alarming to him there?
3. What does Claire ask to tour in the town? What do the townspeople note about her presence?
4. Where is the second place Ill goes in Act 2, Scene 2? What does he meet there?
5. Who comes looking for money in Act 1, Scene 1? Who do the townspeople blame for their situation?
6. Where is Ill going in Act 2, Scene 3? Who does he meet there?
7. Describe the anonymity of the town in which the play is based. How does this reflect the people of the town?
8. Who delivers exposition about the town in the opening scene of the play? What is revealed?
9. What about Claire's body is symbolic of her character?
10. What does Ill notice about the customer purchases in Act 2, Scene 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of power and control in the play. How does Claire embody this theme? What choices has she made which contribute to this?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss "motif" and "symbolism" in the play. How does the author use these techniques to represent thematic ideas?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the terms "action" and "objective" in relation to the character of Claire. Describe some of the actions this character takes and the motivating forces behind them.
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)