|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ill carrying in Act 2, Scene 3?
2. Where does Ill tell the townspeople he is going to emigrate to in Act 2, Scene 3?
3. What is the name of the oil company the millionairess owns?
4. What husband is Claire with when she first arrives in the town?
5. What do the townspeople offer to Ill in Act 2, Scene 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who, as a whole, are Claire's ex-husbands? How does she feel about them?
2. Who comes looking for money in Act 1, Scene 1? Who do the townspeople blame for their situation?
3. What does Claire ask to tour in the town? What do the townspeople note about her presence?
4. Who delivers exposition about the town in the opening scene of the play? What is revealed?
5. In Act 2, Scene 1, is the town already set to kill Ill? What is his principle concern?
6. What does Ill believe has caused the change in the townspeople in Act 2, Scene 1?
7. What does Ill point out to prove his point in Act 2, Scene 3?
8. What does Ill notice about the customer purchases in Act 2, Scene 1?
9. How does the theme of denial progress in the townspeople through Act 2?
10. Describe the anonymity of the town in which the play is based. How does this reflect the people of the town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do the townspeople sing in the final chorus of the play? How does this represent the author's views of poverty in comparison to greed?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the character of Claire to that of Medea, whom is mentioned on multiple occasions in the play. How are they similar?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the terms "action" and "objective" in relation to the character of Claire. Describe some of the actions this character takes and the motivating forces behind them.
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)