|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the townspeople begin buying things in Act 2?
2. What was the year in which the paternity trial took place?
3. What does the priest have in Act 2, Scene 2 which startles Ill?
4. What season is it in Act 2 of The Visit?
5. What is the name of the town in which The Visit takes place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who comes looking for money in Act 1, Scene 1? Who do the townspeople blame for their situation?
2. What strange questions does Claire ask upon her arrival in the town? What are the replies?
3. What does Ill come to notice about the appearance of his customers in Act 2, Scene 1? What is their reply?
4. How does Act 2, Scene 3 illustrate the theme of denial?
5. What about Claire's body is symbolic of her character?
6. How does Claire explain the justification for her offer to the town of Guellen at the end of Act 1?
7. Where does Ill go in Act 2, Scene 2? What is alarming to him there?
8. Where is Ill going in Act 2, Scene 3? Who does he meet there?
9. Where is the second place Ill goes in Act 2, Scene 2? What does he meet there?
10. What does Ill point out to prove his point in Act 2, Scene 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes of vengeance and justice in The Visitor. How are these themes manifested and by whom? Are they successful?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of denial in The Visit. Who principally exhibits this theme and why? How does this theme relate to the historical significance of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the terms "action" and "objective" in relation to the character of Claire. Describe some of the actions this character takes and the motivating forces behind them.
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)