|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 3, what music is playing?
2. What does Ill accuse the townspeople of doing in Act 2, Scene 3?
3. What is the name of the hotel in the town of the play?
4. To whom does the mayor make a toast in Act 1, Scene 1?
5. What husband is Claire with when she first arrives in the town?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who comes looking for money in Act 1, Scene 1? Who do the townspeople blame for their situation?
2. What are the townspeople awaiting in the beginning of the play? Why?
3. Where is Ill going in Act 2, Scene 3? Who does he meet there?
4. Who, as a whole, are Claire's ex-husbands? How does she feel about them?
5. How does Claire explain the justification for her offer to the town of Guellen at the end of Act 1?
6. What does Ill realize in his conversation with the mayor in Act 2, Scene 2?
7. What about Claire's body is symbolic of her character?
8. Why does Claire go to the Village Wood? What is revealed in her first visit there?
9. How does the theme of denial progress in the townspeople through Act 2?
10. How does Act 2, Scene 3 illustrate the theme of denial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What opinion of religion does the author express in the play? How is this thematically and symbolically represented?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the play in the context of European history in the Post-WWII era. How did the war and its aftermath influence the author?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the author's notes in the postscript describing the approach to direction and performance of the play. What elements are essential? What should not be emphasized too deeply?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)