|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the townspeople begin buying things in Act 2?
2. Where did the millionairess found a kindergarten?
3. What is Claire's 8th husband's occupation?
4. Who does the Priest ask to button his soutane?
5. What is Ill's wife's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What other strange questions does Claire ask once at her hotel?
2. In Act 2, Scene 1, is the town already set to kill Ill? What is his principle concern?
3. What does Ill believe has caused the change in the townspeople in Act 2, Scene 1?
4. What does Ill point out to prove his point in Act 2, Scene 3?
5. What is the reaction to Ill's points in Act 2, Scene 3? How do they blockade him?
6. What strange questions does Claire ask upon her arrival in the town? What are the replies?
7. Describe the foreshadowing which takes place in Act 1, Scenes 1 and 2 in Claire's questioning.
8. What about Claire's body is symbolic of her character?
9. Where is the second place Ill goes in Act 2, Scene 2? What does he meet there?
10. Where does Ill go in Act 2, Scene 2? What is alarming to him there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of denial in The Visit. Who principally exhibits this theme and why? How does this theme relate to the historical significance of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of vengeance and justice in The Visitor. How are these themes manifested and by whom? Are they successful?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the elements of Absurdism, Epic Theater, Satire, and Comedy in The Visitor. Name specific examples of each within the text and define the terms in your answer.
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)