|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Ill in The Visit?
2. Of whom does Claire say "They need me, and I need them"?
3. What color hair did Claire have in her youth?
4. Where does Ill tell the townspeople he is going to emigrate to in Act 2, Scene 3?
5. The sign at the train station in Act 2 says, "Visit the Passion Plays in _______."
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the mayor end his conversation with Ill in Act 2, Scene 2?
2. What are the townspeople awaiting in the beginning of the play? Why?
3. Describe the foreshadowing which takes place in Act 1, Scenes 1 and 2 in Claire's questioning.
4. What about Claire's body is symbolic of her character?
5. Where is the second place Ill goes in Act 2, Scene 2? What does he meet there?
6. What is the priest's opinion of Ill's problems in Act 2?
7. Who delivers exposition about the town in the opening scene of the play? What is revealed?
8. What does Ill realize in his conversation with the mayor in Act 2, Scene 2?
9. In the beginning of Act 2, what does Ill see from his window? What does he do?
10. What strange questions does Claire ask upon her arrival in the town? What are the replies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes of vengeance and justice in The Visitor. How are these themes manifested and by whom? Are they successful?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of the Priest and the Schoolmaster. How are their moral values different? How are the characters alike?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "Greed" as it applies to the play. Which characters embody greed? How is this represented?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)