|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In addition to botany, what did Claire pass in school?
2. Where does the Schoolmaster say that one of "those little eunuchs" emigrated to?
3. The sedan chair upon which Claire rides was a gift from whom?
4. What/who is shot in front of Ill's shop in Act 2, Scene 2?
5. Who buys Cognac in Ill's store?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 1, is the town already set to kill Ill? What is his principle concern?
2. What does Claire ask to tour in the town? What do the townspeople note about her presence?
3. How does the theme of denial progress in the townspeople through Act 2?
4. Where is Ill going in Act 2, Scene 3? Who does he meet there?
5. What does Ill believe has caused the change in the townspeople in Act 2, Scene 1?
6. What strange questions does Claire ask upon her arrival in the town? What are the replies?
7. Who comes looking for money in Act 1, Scene 1? Who do the townspeople blame for their situation?
8. Where does Ill go in Act 2, Scene 2? What is alarming to him there?
9. What is the priest's opinion of Ill's problems in Act 2?
10. What is the reaction to Ill's points in Act 2, Scene 3? How do they blockade him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes of vengeance and justice in The Visitor. How are these themes manifested and by whom? Are they successful?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the overall irony of The Visit. What in the outcome of the play is ironic about the two main characters and their situations?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the town of Guellen. What does the exposition tell us of the town's circumstances?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)