Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In addition to botany, what did Claire pass in school?
2. What is the name of the oil company the millionairess owns?
3. What is Ill's son's name?
4. Who did the millionairess have do her portrait?
5. What does the mayor have sitting on his desk in Act 2, Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Durrenmatt say he relates to the characters of the play in the postscript?
2. Who meets Claire in Act 3, Scene 1? Why?
3. Where does Ill go in Act 2, Scene 2? What is alarming to him there?
4. Describe the anonymity of the town in which the play is based. How does this reflect the people of the town?
5. What does Ill point out to prove his point in Act 2, Scene 3?
6. What is the outcome of the vote in Act 3, Scene 4? How do the townspeople justify it?
7. Where is the second place Ill goes in Act 2, Scene 2? What does he meet there?
8. Who has arrived in the town in Act 3, Scene 2? What is the townspeople's concern about this?
9. Why does Claire go to the Village Wood? What is revealed in her first visit there?
10. What does Ill ask Claire about in Act 3, Scene 3? What is her reply?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of denial in The Visit. Who principally exhibits this theme and why? How does this theme relate to the historical significance of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Examine and analyze the character of Ill. How does this character come to embody a tragic hero? What transition does he make in the course of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the terms "action" and "objective" in relation to the character of Claire. Describe some of the actions this character takes and the motivating forces behind them.
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)