|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the millionairess found a kindergarten?
2. What is the actual name of Claire's husband when she arrives in town?
3. The Policeman tells Ill that the proposal made by Claire is what?
4. What does Ill do at the end of in Act 2, Scene 3?
5. The Priest tells Ill, "You are your own ____."
Short Essay Questions
1. What about Claire's body is symbolic of her character?
2. Describe the anonymity of the town in which the play is based. How does this reflect the people of the town?
3. Where does Ill go in Act 2, Scene 2? What is alarming to him there?
4. How does the theme of denial progress in the townspeople through Act 2?
5. Describe the foreshadowing which takes place in Act 1, Scenes 1 and 2 in Claire's questioning.
6. What questions and answers take place between Ill and the townspeople in the beginning of Act 2, Scene 3?
7. Where is the second place Ill goes in Act 2, Scene 2? What does he meet there?
8. What does Ill point out to prove his point in Act 2, Scene 3?
9. Who delivers exposition about the town in the opening scene of the play? What is revealed?
10. How does the mayor end his conversation with Ill in Act 2, Scene 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of foreshadowing in The Visit. What are some examples of foreshadowing established as early as Act 1, Scene 1? What does this dialogue foretell?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the character of Claire to that of Medea, whom is mentioned on multiple occasions in the play. How are they similar?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of denial in The Visit. Who principally exhibits this theme and why? How does this theme relate to the historical significance of the play?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)