|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What/who is shot in front of Ill's shop in Act 2, Scene 2?
2. What do the townspeople tell Ill in Act 2, Scene 3?
3. What does the Priest tell Ill is rising in Act 2, Scene 2?
4. What is Claire's 8th husband's occupation?
5. How does Claire drink her whiskey?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who delivers exposition about the town in the opening scene of the play? What is revealed?
2. What does Ill say to Claire in his attempts to woo her in the Village Wood? How does she respond?
3. What questions and answers take place between Ill and the townspeople in the beginning of Act 2, Scene 3?
4. In the beginning of Act 2, what does Ill see from his window? What does he do?
5. How does Act 2, Scene 3 illustrate the theme of denial?
6. How has the mayor's tone changed regarding Ill in Act 2, Scene 2?
7. Where is Ill going in Act 2, Scene 3? Who does he meet there?
8. What is the reaction to Ill's points in Act 2, Scene 3? How do they blockade him?
9. What does Ill point out to prove his point in Act 2, Scene 3?
10. What about Claire's body is symbolic of her character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the overall irony of The Visit. What in the outcome of the play is ironic about the two main characters and their situations?
Essay Topic 2
Examine and analyze the character of Ill. How does this character come to embody a tragic hero? What transition does he make in the course of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the terms "action" and "objective" in relation to the character of Claire. Describe some of the actions this character takes and the motivating forces behind them.
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)