|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the townspeople do at the end of Act 2, Scene 3?
2. Where was Claire in a plane crash?
3. What does the Priest tell Ill is rising in Act 2, Scene 2?
4. What does the Priest say the townspeople are doing in Act 2, Scene 2?
5. What are the names of Claire's gum chewing brutes?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 1, is the town already set to kill Ill? What is his principle concern?
2. Why does Claire go to the Village Wood? What is revealed in her first visit there?
3. Describe the foreshadowing which takes place in Act 1, Scenes 1 and 2 in Claire's questioning.
4. How does Claire explain the justification for her offer to the town of Guellen at the end of Act 1?
5. How does the mayor end his conversation with Ill in Act 2, Scene 2?
6. Where is the second place Ill goes in Act 2, Scene 2? What does he meet there?
7. In the beginning of Act 2, what does Ill see from his window? What does he do?
8. What about Claire's body is symbolic of her character?
9. Where does Ill go in Act 2, Scene 2? What is alarming to him there?
10. What does Ill realize in his conversation with the mayor in Act 2, Scene 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the overall irony of The Visit. What in the outcome of the play is ironic about the two main characters and their situations?
Essay Topic 2
What opinion of religion does the author express in the play? How is this thematically and symbolically represented?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the character of Claire to that of Medea, whom is mentioned on multiple occasions in the play. How are they similar?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)