|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Claire's husband own?
2. What is the name Claire calls her husband upon her arrival in the town?
3. What is Ill carrying in Act 2, Scene 3?
4. In Act 2, Scene 3, what music is playing?
5. Where had Louis Perch emigrated to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the theme of denial progress in the townspeople through Act 2?
2. What does Claire ask to tour in the town? What do the townspeople note about her presence?
3. How has the mayor's tone changed regarding Ill in Act 2, Scene 2?
4. Who comes looking for money in Act 1, Scene 1? Who do the townspeople blame for their situation?
5. Who, as a whole, are Claire's ex-husbands? How does she feel about them?
6. What is the priest's opinion of Ill's problems in Act 2?
7. What does Ill believe has caused the change in the townspeople in Act 2, Scene 1?
8. What strange questions does Claire ask upon her arrival in the town? What are the replies?
9. Who delivers exposition about the town in the opening scene of the play? What is revealed?
10. Describe the anonymity of the town in which the play is based. How does this reflect the people of the town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine and analyze the character of Ill. How does this character come to embody a tragic hero? What transition does he make in the course of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the author's notes in the postscript describing the approach to direction and performance of the play. What elements are essential? What should not be emphasized too deeply?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of foreshadowing in The Visit. What are some examples of foreshadowing established as early as Act 1, Scene 1? What does this dialogue foretell?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)