|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Policeman tells Ill that the proposal made by Claire is what?
2. How do the townspeople begin buying things in Act 2?
3. The sign at the train station in Act 2 says, "Visit the Passion Plays in _______."
4. Who buys Cognac in Ill's store?
5. Where did the millionairess found a hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has the mayor's tone changed regarding Ill in Act 2, Scene 2?
2. What about Claire's body is symbolic of her character?
3. Who meets Claire in Act 3, Scene 1? Why?
4. Who begins to tell the truth to the press in Act 3, Scene 2? Who stops him?
5. Who delivers exposition about the town in the opening scene of the play? What is revealed?
6. What does Durrenmatt mean regarding "not imposing excessive meaning" in the postscript?
7. What are the townspeople awaiting in the beginning of the play? Why?
8. Who has arrived in the town in Act 3, Scene 2? What is the townspeople's concern about this?
9. What is the reaction to Ill's points in Act 2, Scene 3? How do they blockade him?
10. What are Ill's final requests before dying?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine and analyze the character of Ill. How does this character come to embody a tragic hero? What transition does he make in the course of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the plot of the play. Where is the exposition, rising action, climax, and denouement?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss "motif" and "symbolism" in the play. How does the author use these techniques to represent thematic ideas?
This section contains 1,282 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)