Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In addition to botany, what did Claire pass in school?
2. What is the name of the oil company the millionairess owns?
3. What is Ill's son's name?
4. Who did the millionairess have do her portrait?
5. What does the mayor have sitting on his desk in Act 2, Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Durrenmatt say he relates to the characters of the play in the postscript?
2. Who meets Claire in Act 3, Scene 1? Why?
3. Where does Ill go in Act 2, Scene 2? What is alarming to him there?
4. Describe the anonymity of the town in which the play is based. How does this reflect the people of the town?
5. What does Ill point out to prove his point in Act 2, Scene 3?
6. What is the outcome of the vote in Act 3, Scene 4? How do the townspeople justify it?
7. Where is the second place Ill goes in Act 2, Scene 2? What does he meet there?
8. Who has arrived in the town in Act 3, Scene 2? What is the townspeople's concern about this?
9. Why does Claire go to the Village Wood? What is revealed in her first visit there?
10. What does Ill ask Claire about in Act 3, Scene 3? What is her reply?
Discuss the use of foreshadowing in The Visit. What are some examples of foreshadowing established as early as Act 1, Scene 1? What does this dialogue foretell?
Discuss the terms "action" and "objective" in relation to the character of Claire. Describe some of the actions this character takes and the motivating forces behind them.
Discuss the overall irony of The Visit. What in the outcome of the play is ironic about the two main characters and their situations?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)