|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Priest tell Ill is rising in Act 2, Scene 2?
2. How does Claire drink her whiskey?
3. What are the names of Claire's eunuchs?
4. What is Ill's first name in the play?
5. Who do the townspeople remark spent a night in their town in Act 1, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Ill meet Claire in Act 3, Scene 3? Who is she with?
2. What does Durrenmatt say in reference to allegory or symbolism in the postscript?
3. What about Claire's body is symbolic of her character?
4. What plea do the visitors make to Claire in Act 3, Scene 1?
5. What does Ill believe has caused the change in the townspeople in Act 2, Scene 1?
6. How has Ill's character undergone a drastic change in Act 3, Scene 2?
7. How has the mayor's tone changed regarding Ill in Act 2, Scene 2?
8. What are Claire's final words to Ill in Act 3, Scene 3?
9. What other strange questions does Claire ask once at her hotel?
10. What are the townspeople awaiting in the beginning of the play? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the plot of the play. Where is the exposition, rising action, climax, and denouement?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the overall irony of The Visit. What in the outcome of the play is ironic about the two main characters and their situations?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "Greed" as it applies to the play. Which characters embody greed? How is this represented?
This section contains 1,316 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)