Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In addition to botany, what did Claire pass in school?
2. What is the name of the oil company the millionairess owns?
3. What is Ill's son's name?
4. Who did the millionairess have do her portrait?
5. What does the mayor have sitting on his desk in Act 2, Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Durrenmatt say he relates to the characters of the play in the postscript?
2. Who meets Claire in Act 3, Scene 1? Why?
3. Where does Ill go in Act 2, Scene 2? What is alarming to him there?
4. Describe the anonymity of the town in which the play is based. How does this reflect the people of the town?
5. What does Ill point out to prove his point in Act 2, Scene 3?
6. What is the outcome of the vote in Act 3, Scene 4? How do the townspeople justify it?
7. Where is the second place Ill goes in Act 2, Scene 2? What does he meet there?
8. Who has arrived in the town in Act 3, Scene 2? What is the townspeople's concern about this?
9. Why does Claire go to the Village Wood? What is revealed in her first visit there?
10. What does Ill ask Claire about in Act 3, Scene 3? What is her reply?
Essay Topic 1
What do the townspeople sing in the final chorus of the play? How does this represent the author's views of poverty in comparison to greed?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolism of Claire's appearance. What hair color does she have? Is she attractive? How old is the character? What does this symbolism relate to thematically?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the play in the context of European history in the Post-WWII era. How did the war and its aftermath influence the author?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)