|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ill tell the townspeople he is going to emigrate to in Act 2, Scene 3?
2. What is the name Claire calls her husband upon her arrival in the town?
3. What does Claire say may be reintroduced to the town upon meeting the Priest?
4. What has escaped in Act 2, Scene 2?
5. What is the actual name of Claire's husband when she arrives in town?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the theme of denial progress in the townspeople through Act 2?
2. What does Ill say to Claire in his attempts to woo her in the Village Wood? How does she respond?
3. Why does Claire go to the Village Wood? What is revealed in her first visit there?
4. What does Ill come to notice about the appearance of his customers in Act 2, Scene 1? What is their reply?
5. What is the reaction to Ill's points in Act 2, Scene 3? How do they blockade him?
6. What does Claire ask to tour in the town? What do the townspeople note about her presence?
7. What questions and answers take place between Ill and the townspeople in the beginning of Act 2, Scene 3?
8. What does Ill realize in his conversation with the mayor in Act 2, Scene 2?
9. Where is Ill going in Act 2, Scene 3? Who does he meet there?
10. Where does Ill go in Act 2, Scene 2? What is alarming to him there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the elements of tragedy in the play. What staging characteristics are similar to Greek Tragedy? What themes are relevant to both?
Essay Topic 2
What opinion of religion does the author express in the play? How is this thematically and symbolically represented?
Essay Topic 3
What do the townspeople sing in the final chorus of the play? How does this represent the author's views of poverty in comparison to greed?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)