|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ill tells the townspeople he wrote to the Chief Constable where in Act 2, Scene 3?
2. What object has Claire brought with her which she has prominently displayed in the hotel?
3. In Act 2, Scene 3, what music is playing?
4. What is Claire's 8th husband's occupation?
5. What do the townspeople do at the end of Act 2, Scene 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Claire explain the justification for her offer to the town of Guellen at the end of Act 1?
2. What does Ill believe has caused the change in the townspeople in Act 2, Scene 1?
3. What are the townspeople awaiting in the beginning of the play? Why?
4. What is the reaction to Ill's points in Act 2, Scene 3? How do they blockade him?
5. Who comes looking for money in Act 1, Scene 1? Who do the townspeople blame for their situation?
6. What strange questions does Claire ask upon her arrival in the town? What are the replies?
7. What other strange questions does Claire ask once at her hotel?
8. How does Act 2, Scene 3 illustrate the theme of denial?
9. Who delivers exposition about the town in the opening scene of the play? What is revealed?
10. What does Ill come to notice about the appearance of his customers in Act 2, Scene 1? What is their reply?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of denial in The Visit. Who principally exhibits this theme and why? How does this theme relate to the historical significance of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the play in the context of European history in the Post-WWII era. How did the war and its aftermath influence the author?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the overall irony of The Visit. What in the outcome of the play is ironic about the two main characters and their situations?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)