|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Priest tell Ill is rising in Act 2, Scene 2?
2. Upon whose arrival are the townspeople awaiting in Act 1, Scene 1?
3. What does the Priest tell Ill to do when he flings himself on him in Act 2, Scene 2?
4. What does Ill accuse the townspeople of doing in Act 2, Scene 3?
5. Who first calls out to Ill in Act 2, Scene 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is the second place Ill goes in Act 2, Scene 2? What does he meet there?
2. What does Ill come to notice about the appearance of his customers in Act 2, Scene 1? What is their reply?
3. Where does Ill go in Act 2, Scene 2? What is alarming to him there?
4. Describe the anonymity of the town in which the play is based. How does this reflect the people of the town?
5. What does Ill say to Claire in his attempts to woo her in the Village Wood? How does she respond?
6. How has the mayor's tone changed regarding Ill in Act 2, Scene 2?
7. What is the reaction to Ill's points in Act 2, Scene 3? How do they blockade him?
8. What does Ill notice about the customer purchases in Act 2, Scene 1?
9. Why does Claire go to the Village Wood? What is revealed in her first visit there?
10. How does the mayor end his conversation with Ill in Act 2, Scene 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the overall irony of The Visit. What in the outcome of the play is ironic about the two main characters and their situations?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of denial in The Visit. Who principally exhibits this theme and why? How does this theme relate to the historical significance of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Examine and analyze the character of Ill. How does this character come to embody a tragic hero? What transition does he make in the course of the play?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)