|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Priest tells Ill, "You are your own ____."
2. What is the name of the town in which The Visit takes place?
3. What is Ill's son's name?
4. What was the year in which the paternity trial took place?
5. Who do the townspeople say invented gunpowder in the town?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Act 2, Scene 3 illustrate the theme of denial?
2. Where is the second place Ill goes in Act 2, Scene 2? What does he meet there?
3. What does Ill believe has caused the change in the townspeople in Act 2, Scene 1?
4. What does Ill point out to prove his point in Act 2, Scene 3?
5. Describe the anonymity of the town in which the play is based. How does this reflect the people of the town?
6. What does Claire ask to tour in the town? What do the townspeople note about her presence?
7. What does Ill come to notice about the appearance of his customers in Act 2, Scene 1? What is their reply?
8. Describe the foreshadowing which takes place in Act 1, Scenes 1 and 2 in Claire's questioning.
9. What is the reaction to Ill's points in Act 2, Scene 3? How do they blockade him?
10. Where does Ill go in Act 2, Scene 2? What is alarming to him there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine and analyze the character of Ill. How does this character come to embody a tragic hero? What transition does he make in the course of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the overall irony of The Visit. What in the outcome of the play is ironic about the two main characters and their situations?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "Greed" as it applies to the play. Which characters embody greed? How is this represented?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)