|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ill tell the townspeople he is going first in Act 2, Scene 3?
2. What does the mayor have sitting on his desk in Act 2, Scene 2?
3. How do the townspeople begin buying things in Act 2?
4. What is the Policeman's name in the play?
5. What is Ill's wife's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the mayor tell Ill in Act 3, Scene 2 when offering him the gun?
2. What does Claire reveal to her guests in Act 3, Scene 1 regarding Guellen?
3. What conclusion has Ill come to in Act 3, Scene 2? Who does he discuss this with in his shop?
4. How does Claire explain the justification for her offer to the town of Guellen at the end of Act 1?
5. Who has arrived in the town in Act 3, Scene 2? What is the townspeople's concern about this?
6. Who begins to tell the truth to the press in Act 3, Scene 2? Who stops him?
7. Where does Ill meet Claire in Act 3, Scene 3? Who is she with?
8. What does Ill realize in his conversation with the mayor in Act 2, Scene 2?
9. What strange questions does Claire ask upon her arrival in the town? What are the replies?
10. What does Durrenmatt say regarding the setting of the play?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the overall irony of The Visit. What in the outcome of the play is ironic about the two main characters and their situations?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the town of Guellen. What does the exposition tell us of the town's circumstances?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of foreshadowing in The Visit. What are some examples of foreshadowing established as early as Act 1, Scene 1? What does this dialogue foretell?
This section contains 1,285 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)