|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Policeman's name in the play?
2. In Act 2, Scene 3, what music is playing?
3. What does the Priest tell Ill is rising in Act 2, Scene 2?
4. What was Claire's maiden name?
5. How old is Ill in The Visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ill come to notice about the appearance of his customers in Act 2, Scene 1? What is their reply?
2. How has the mayor's tone changed regarding Ill in Act 2, Scene 2?
3. What does Ill believe has caused the change in the townspeople in Act 2, Scene 1?
4. Where is the second place Ill goes in Act 2, Scene 2? What does he meet there?
5. What about Claire's body is symbolic of her character?
6. What is the reaction to Ill's points in Act 2, Scene 3? How do they blockade him?
7. What questions and answers take place between Ill and the townspeople in the beginning of Act 2, Scene 3?
8. Describe the anonymity of the town in which the play is based. How does this reflect the people of the town?
9. Who, as a whole, are Claire's ex-husbands? How does she feel about them?
10. How does Claire explain the justification for her offer to the town of Guellen at the end of Act 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of foreshadowing in The Visit. What are some examples of foreshadowing established as early as Act 1, Scene 1? What does this dialogue foretell?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the terms "action" and "objective" in relation to the character of Claire. Describe some of the actions this character takes and the motivating forces behind them.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the town of Guellen. What does the exposition tell us of the town's circumstances?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)