|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What object has Claire brought with her which she has prominently displayed in the hotel?
2. To whom does the mayor make a toast in Act 1, Scene 1?
3. What season is it in Act 2 of The Visit?
4. What is the Policeman's name in the play?
5. What does the Priest say the townspeople are doing in Act 2, Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What questions and answers take place between Ill and the townspeople in the beginning of Act 2, Scene 3?
2. Where does Ill go in Act 2, Scene 2? What is alarming to him there?
3. How does the theme of denial progress in the townspeople through Act 2?
4. What about Claire's body is symbolic of her character?
5. How has the mayor's tone changed regarding Ill in Act 2, Scene 2?
6. How does Claire explain the justification for her offer to the town of Guellen at the end of Act 1?
7. What is the reaction to Ill's points in Act 2, Scene 3? How do they blockade him?
8. What does Ill notice about the customer purchases in Act 2, Scene 1?
9. How does the mayor end his conversation with Ill in Act 2, Scene 2?
10. What other strange questions does Claire ask once at her hotel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes of vengeance and justice in The Visitor. How are these themes manifested and by whom? Are they successful?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the elements of tragedy in the play. What staging characteristics are similar to Greek Tragedy? What themes are relevant to both?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of the Priest and the Schoolmaster. How are their moral values different? How are the characters alike?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)