|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has acquired a washing machine in Act 2, Scene 2?
2. Where was Claire in a plane crash?
3. What is the actual name of Claire's husband when she arrives in town?
4. Ill used to call Claire "my little" what?
5. Who does Ill go to talk to at City Hall in Act 2, Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who delivers exposition about the town in the opening scene of the play? What is revealed?
2. Where is Ill going in Act 2, Scene 3? Who does he meet there?
3. What is the priest's opinion of Ill's problems in Act 2?
4. How has the mayor's tone changed regarding Ill in Act 2, Scene 2?
5. In the beginning of Act 2, what does Ill see from his window? What does he do?
6. What does Claire ask to tour in the town? What do the townspeople note about her presence?
7. How does Act 2, Scene 3 illustrate the theme of denial?
8. What does Ill point out to prove his point in Act 2, Scene 3?
9. What does Ill say to Claire in his attempts to woo her in the Village Wood? How does she respond?
10. Who comes looking for money in Act 1, Scene 1? Who do the townspeople blame for their situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the terms "action" and "objective" in relation to the character of Claire. Describe some of the actions this character takes and the motivating forces behind them.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the author's notes in the postscript describing the approach to direction and performance of the play. What elements are essential? What should not be emphasized too deeply?
Essay Topic 3
What do the townspeople sing in the final chorus of the play? How does this represent the author's views of poverty in comparison to greed?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)