|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ill do at the end of in Act 2, Scene 3?
2. Who buys Cognac in Ill's store?
3. The Policeman tells Ill that the proposal made by Claire is what?
4. The sign at the train station in Act 2 says, "Visit the Passion Plays in _______."
5. Who first calls out to Ill in Act 2, Scene 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is the second place Ill goes in Act 2, Scene 2? What does he meet there?
2. What does Ill say to Claire in his attempts to woo her in the Village Wood? How does she respond?
3. What is the priest's opinion of Ill's problems in Act 2?
4. Who delivers exposition about the town in the opening scene of the play? What is revealed?
5. In Act 2, Scene 1, is the town already set to kill Ill? What is his principle concern?
6. What about Claire's body is symbolic of her character?
7. Why does Claire go to the Village Wood? What is revealed in her first visit there?
8. What does Ill realize in his conversation with the mayor in Act 2, Scene 2?
9. How does the mayor end his conversation with Ill in Act 2, Scene 2?
10. Where does Ill go in Act 2, Scene 2? What is alarming to him there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the play in the context of European history in the Post-WWII era. How did the war and its aftermath influence the author?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of power and control in the play. How does Claire embody this theme? What choices has she made which contribute to this?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the terms "action" and "objective" in relation to the character of Claire. Describe some of the actions this character takes and the motivating forces behind them.
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)