|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of whom does Claire say "They need me, and I need them"?
2. What was the year in which the paternity trial took place?
3. Where did the millionairess found a hospital?
4. Who has acquired a television set in Act 2, Scene 2?
5. What does Ill accuse the townspeople of doing in Act 2, Scene 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What about Claire's body is symbolic of her character?
2. What does Ill point out to prove his point in Act 2, Scene 3?
3. How has the mayor's tone changed regarding Ill in Act 2, Scene 2?
4. What conclusion has Ill come to in Act 3, Scene 2? Who does he discuss this with in his shop?
5. What does Ill thank Claire for in Act 3, Scene 3?
6. What does Ill notice about the customer purchases in Act 2, Scene 1?
7. Why does Claire go to the Village Wood? What is revealed in her first visit there?
8. How does the mayor end his conversation with Ill in Act 2, Scene 2?
9. What does Ill believe has caused the change in the townspeople in Act 2, Scene 1?
10. What takes place in the climax of the play? Where is this scene located?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the terms "action" and "objective" in relation to the character of Claire. Describe some of the actions this character takes and the motivating forces behind them.
Essay Topic 2
What opinion of religion does the author express in the play? How is this thematically and symbolically represented?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the character of Claire to that of Medea, whom is mentioned on multiple occasions in the play. How are they similar?
This section contains 1,293 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)