|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Claire's last name?
2. In Act 2, Scene 3, what does Ill note that the townspeople are all owning new?
3. How old is Ill in The Visit?
4. The Policeman tells Ill that the proposal made by Claire is what?
5. Who does Ill go to talk to at City Hall in Act 2, Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the foreshadowing which takes place in Act 1, Scenes 1 and 2 in Claire's questioning.
2. What does Ill notice about the customer purchases in Act 2, Scene 1?
3. In Act 2, Scene 1, is the town already set to kill Ill? What is his principle concern?
4. Who delivers exposition about the town in the opening scene of the play? What is revealed?
5. Describe the anonymity of the town in which the play is based. How does this reflect the people of the town?
6. What does Ill realize in his conversation with the mayor in Act 2, Scene 2?
7. What does Ill believe has caused the change in the townspeople in Act 2, Scene 1?
8. Who, as a whole, are Claire's ex-husbands? How does she feel about them?
9. In the beginning of Act 2, what does Ill see from his window? What does he do?
10. What are the townspeople awaiting in the beginning of the play? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss "motif" and "symbolism" in the play. How does the author use these techniques to represent thematic ideas?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of power and control in the play. How does Claire embody this theme? What choices has she made which contribute to this?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the character of Claire to that of Medea, whom is mentioned on multiple occasions in the play. How are they similar?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)