|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ill's wife's name?
2. What has escaped in Act 2, Scene 2?
3. What do the townspeople offer to Ill in Act 2, Scene 3?
4. What does Claire's husband own?
5. Who was Claire's third husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Claire explain the justification for her offer to the town of Guellen at the end of Act 1?
2. Who delivers exposition about the town in the opening scene of the play? What is revealed?
3. Why does Claire go to the Village Wood? What is revealed in her first visit there?
4. What about Claire's body is symbolic of her character?
5. What does Ill point out to prove his point in Act 2, Scene 3?
6. What questions and answers take place between Ill and the townspeople in the beginning of Act 2, Scene 3?
7. Where does Ill go in Act 2, Scene 2? What is alarming to him there?
8. How does Act 2, Scene 3 illustrate the theme of denial?
9. Who, as a whole, are Claire's ex-husbands? How does she feel about them?
10. Describe the anonymity of the town in which the play is based. How does this reflect the people of the town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do the townspeople sing in the final chorus of the play? How does this represent the author's views of poverty in comparison to greed?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of the Priest and the Schoolmaster. How are their moral values different? How are the characters alike?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of foreshadowing in The Visit. What are some examples of foreshadowing established as early as Act 1, Scene 1? What does this dialogue foretell?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)