|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the names of Claire's eunuchs?
2. Who did the millionairess have do her portrait?
3. What is Ill's occupation?
4. Who is the woman who runs half naked across the stage in Act 1, Scene 1?
5. The Priest tells Ill, "You are your own ____."
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Ill go in Act 2, Scene 2? What is alarming to him there?
2. Who delivers exposition about the town in the opening scene of the play? What is revealed?
3. What about Claire's body is symbolic of her character?
4. In Act 2, Scene 1, is the town already set to kill Ill? What is his principle concern?
5. Where is the second place Ill goes in Act 2, Scene 2? What does he meet there?
6. What does Claire ask to tour in the town? What do the townspeople note about her presence?
7. What does Ill say to Claire in his attempts to woo her in the Village Wood? How does she respond?
8. How has the mayor's tone changed regarding Ill in Act 2, Scene 2?
9. How does Act 2, Scene 3 illustrate the theme of denial?
10. What does Ill point out to prove his point in Act 2, Scene 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of foreshadowing in The Visit. What are some examples of foreshadowing established as early as Act 1, Scene 1? What does this dialogue foretell?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the elements of Absurdism, Epic Theater, Satire, and Comedy in The Visitor. Name specific examples of each within the text and define the terms in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the author's notes in the postscript describing the approach to direction and performance of the play. What elements are essential? What should not be emphasized too deeply?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)