|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author states that producers and directors of the play will likely come nearest the mark of its intention if they approach it in the style of what?
(a) Brechtian performance.
(b) Greek tragedy.
(d) Classical Shakespeare.
2. Who does the Schoolmaster say he is an admirer of in Act 3, Scene 2?
3. Who does the Schoolmaster compare Claire to in Act 3?
4. What is the principle concern that Claire's visitors come to speak to her about in Act 3, Scene 1?
(b) The Library.
(d) The Schools.
5. What is Mrs. Ill referring to when she says in Act 3, "They're in fashion today"?
(a) High heels.
(b) High collars.
(c) Large hair.
(d) Large breasts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Claire's ninth husband?
2. Where is tea being served to the ladies after the vote in Act 3, Scene 4?
3. Where do Claire and Ill meet in Act 3, Scene 3?
4. Who took away the child that Claire bore?
5. In Act 3, Scene 4, the Schoolmaster says, "For what would be the sense of wealth, which created not a wealth of ____?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed about the townspeople in the final scene of the play?
2. Where does Ill meet Claire in Act 3, Scene 3? Who is she with?
3. In Act 3, Scene 2, how do the townspeople view Ill?
4. What plea do the visitors make to Claire in Act 3, Scene 1?
5. How does Act 3, Scene 3 change the tone of the play and the reader's view of the main characters?
6. What does Claire respond to the offer in Act 3, Scene 1?
7. What is absurd about the proposition made to Claire in Act 3, Scene 1?
8. Who meets Claire in Act 3, Scene 1? Why?
9. How does Durrenmatt say he relates to the characters of the play in the postscript?
10. What are Ill's final requests before dying?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)