|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mrs. Ill referring to when she says in Act 3, "They're in fashion today"?
(a) High heels.
(b) Large breasts.
(c) High collars.
(d) Large hair.
2. What was the name of the child which Claire bore?
3. What was Claire's father's name in the play?
(a) Godfrey Zisselman.
(b) Godfrey Heinman.
(c) Hildegen Wascher.
(d) Godfrey Wascher.
4. Who does the author compare the character of Claire to in the postscript?
5. Whose performance in the choir does Claire remark upon in Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) The Mayor's.
(b) The Doctor's.
(c) The Policeman's.
(d) The Schoolmaster's.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Claire say you have husbands for in Act 3, Scene 3?
2. The author claims that the events only take their decisive turn during the scene where?
3. In the postscript, how does the author say he considers himself in comparison to the characters of the play?
4. The author in the postscript says that under the circumstances of the play he is not sure of what?
5. Where does Act 3, Scene 1 take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 3, Scene 2, how do the townspeople view Ill?
2. How is Claire's love of power revealed in Act 3, Scene 1?
3. Who begins to tell the truth to the press in Act 3, Scene 2? Who stops him?
4. How did the child of Ill and Claire die?
5. Who has arrived in the town in Act 3, Scene 2? What is the townspeople's concern about this?
6. What plea do the visitors make to Claire in Act 3, Scene 1?
7. How has Ill's character undergone a drastic change in Act 3, Scene 2?
8. What does Ill thank Claire for in Act 3, Scene 3?
9. How does Act 3, Scene 3 change the tone of the play and the reader's view of the main characters?
10. What does the author suggest the play resembles in the postscript?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)