|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who took away the child that Claire bore?
(a) The Adoption Center.
(b) The Salvation Army.
(c) State Agency.
(d) Women's Programme.
2. In terms of performance, the author writes in the postscript that "all that is art should seem to be _____."
3. Who is taking a course in literature in Act 3, Scene 3?
4. What kind of car does Hoby have?
(a) A BMW.
(b) A Porsche.
(c) A Mercedes.
(d) A Cadillac.
5. Where is tea being served to the ladies after the vote in Act 3, Scene 4?
(a) The Golden Apple.
(b) Petermen's Barn.
(c) The City Park.
(d) Ill's shop.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Claire recall that Ill used to buy cigarettes from in their youth?
2. What did the choir perform in Act 3, Scene 1?
3. The painter gives Mrs. Ill a portrait of whom in Act 3, Scene 2?
4. In the postscript, the author writes that "just as any creature is sealed off inside its skin, so the play is sealed off inside ____."
5. Where was the Doctor offered a job in Act 3, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Claire's final words to Ill in Act 3, Scene 3?
2. How does Durrenmatt say he relates to the characters of the play in the postscript?
3. What does Ill thank Claire for in Act 3, Scene 3?
4. How is Claire's love of power revealed in Act 3, Scene 1?
5. What is revealed about the townspeople in the final scene of the play?
6. Who meets Claire in Act 3, Scene 1? Why?
7. How does Act 3, Scene 3 change the tone of the play and the reader's view of the main characters?
8. Who begins to tell the truth to the press in Act 3, Scene 2? Who stops him?
9. How did the child of Ill and Claire die?
10. What does Durrenmatt mean regarding "not imposing excessive meaning" in the postscript?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)