|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ill cry out after the vote in Act 3, Scene 4?
(a) "Help me!"
(d) "My God!"
2. Who took away the child that Claire bore?
(a) The Salvation Army.
(b) Women's Programme.
(c) State Agency.
(d) The Adoption Center.
3. What does Claire say you have husbands for in Act 3, Scene 3?
(a) Display purposes.
(b) Fur coats.
(c) Useful agendas.
4. Which character says he's been over-drinking lately in Act 3, Scene 2?
(a) The Mayor.
(b) The Schoolmaster.
(c) The Policeman.
5. Who enters to speak to Claire in Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) The Priest and the Schoolmaster.
(b) The Priest and the Doctor.
(c) The Doctor and Schoolmaster.
(d) The Mayor and the Doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Claire have the two eunuchs shipped to in Act 3, Scene 3?
2. What does Claire call her ninth husband?
3. Who does Claire recall that Ill used to buy cigarettes from in their youth?
4. The Schoolmaster says in his speech to the townspeople in Act 3, Scene 4, "Have we not always been a ____ community?"
5. The author in the postscript says that under the circumstances of the play he is not sure of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the child of Ill and Claire die?
2. What does the mayor tell Ill in Act 3, Scene 2 when offering him the gun?
3. What is the author's point in writing the postscript?
4. Who begins to tell the truth to the press in Act 3, Scene 2? Who stops him?
5. Why is the vote held twice in the final scene? Why do the reporters leave?
6. What is the outcome of the vote in Act 3, Scene 4? How do the townspeople justify it?
7. How has Ill's character undergone a drastic change in Act 3, Scene 2?
8. In Act 3, Scene 2, how do the townspeople view Ill?
9. Who meets Claire in Act 3, Scene 1? Why?
10. What are Ill's final requests before dying?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)