|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Claire call her ninth husband?
2. What does the author claim must not be overlooked in the character of Claire?
(a) Her intelligence.
(b) Sense of evil.
(c) Her beauty.
(d) Sense of humor.
3. That author claims in the postscript that "nothing could harm this comedy with a tragic end more than ______."
(c) The avant-garde.
(d) Heavy seriousness.
4. Who does Claire say will be following after the eunuchs soon in Act 3, Scene 3?
(b) The musician.
(c) The butler.
5. In the postscript, the author writes that "just as any creature is sealed off inside its skin, so the play is sealed off inside ____."
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Ill's daughter in the play?
2. What has Ill's son bought in Act 3, Scene 3?
3. Which character says he's been over-drinking lately in Act 3, Scene 2?
4. The author states that producers and directors of the play will likely come nearest the mark of its intention if they approach it in the style of what?
5. What is Ill doing upstairs in Act 3, Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ill thank Claire for in Act 3, Scene 3?
2. Where does Ill meet Claire in Act 3, Scene 3? Who is she with?
3. What does Claire reveal to her guests in Act 3, Scene 1 regarding Guellen?
4. Who has arrived in the town in Act 3, Scene 2? What is the townspeople's concern about this?
5. How has Ill's character undergone a drastic change in Act 3, Scene 2?
6. What does the mayor tell Ill in Act 3, Scene 2 when offering him the gun?
7. How does Act 3, Scene 3 change the tone of the play and the reader's view of the main characters?
8. What are Ill's final requests before dying?
9. How does Durrenmatt say he relates to the characters of the play in the postscript?
10. How did the child of Ill and Claire die?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)