|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom was Claire's shortest marriage?
(a) The Duke of Winchester.
(b) Count Holk.
(c) The Armenian.
(d) Lord Ishmael.
2. What does Claire say she plans to turn the world into in Act 3?
(a) A brothel.
(b) Her destiny.
(c) A cathedral.
(d) A graveyard.
3. The inscription which descends in Act 3, Scene 4 reads, "Life is Serious, ____ Serene."
4. The author claims in the postscript that he has depicted people in the play and not what?
(a) Two-dimensional ideas.
(c) Cardboard cutouts.
5. What was Claire's father's occupation?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mrs. Ill tell the reporters her husband is in Act 3, Scene 2?
2. What does the author state that Ill ultimately receives in the end of the play?
3. What do the reporters want a photograph of Ill selling?
4. What does Claire tell her visitors they are covered in in Act 3, Scene 1?
5. What does Ill ask for in his final moments in Act 3, Scene 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Ill's character undergone a drastic change in Act 3, Scene 2?
2. What does the mayor tell Ill in Act 3, Scene 2 when offering him the gun?
3. How does Act 3, Scene 3 change the tone of the play and the reader's view of the main characters?
4. Why is the vote held twice in the final scene? Why do the reporters leave?
5. What does Durrenmatt say regarding the setting of the play?
6. What does the author suggest the play resembles in the postscript?
7. What plea do the visitors make to Claire in Act 3, Scene 1?
8. In Act 3, Scene 2, how do the townspeople view Ill?
9. What does Claire respond to the offer in Act 3, Scene 1?
10. What does Ill ask Claire about in Act 3, Scene 3? What is her reply?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)