|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author write gives rise to speech in the postscript?
(a) Good diction.
(b) Ideas and feelings.
(d) Thought and action.
2. What does the Doctor say that Ill died of in the end of the play?
(b) Heart attack.
3. Which character says he's been over-drinking lately in Act 3, Scene 2?
(a) The Mayor.
(c) The Schoolmaster.
(d) The Policeman.
4. The painter gives Mrs. Ill a portrait of whom in Act 3, Scene 2?
(a) Ill's daughter.
5. The author states that producers and directors of the play will likely come nearest the mark of its intention if they approach it in the style of what?
(a) Classical Shakespeare.
(b) Brechtian performance.
(c) Greek tragedy.
6. That author claims in the postscript that "nothing could harm this comedy with a tragic end more than ______."
(a) The avant-garde.
(c) Heavy seriousness.
7. The author in the postscript says that under the circumstances of the play he is not sure of what?
(a) He would have acted differently.
(b) He would have stayed.
(c) He wouldn't have left.
(d) He'd have committed suicide.
8. What does the author claim that Claire does not represent in the play?
(a) The Death Penalty.
(b) The Marshall Plan.
9. What does Claire order her ninth husband to do in Act 3, Scene 3?
(a) Stop thinking.
(b) Go fishing.
(c) Go for a drive.
(d) Think harder.
10. The author in the postscript says the characters speak as befits what in the final scene?
(a) The rich.
(b) The absurd.
(c) The guilty.
(d) The ancient.
11. Where does Act 3, Scene 1 take place?
(a) Petersen's Barn.
(b) Konrad's Village Wood.
(c) The Hospital.
(d) The Church.
12. The Schoolmaster says in his speech to the townspeople in Act 3, Scene 4, "Have we not always been a ____ community?"
13. What does Ill's family leave him to go do in Act 3, Scene 3?
(a) Go for a drive in the country.
(b) Go to church.
(c) See a movie.
(d) Go visit relatives.
14. What does Claire say of Sunshine Square in Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) She burned it down.
(b) She is going to buy it.
(c) She owns it.
(d) She is renovating it.
15. What does Claire offer to Ill in Act 3, Scene 3?
(a) A flower.
(b) An umbrella.
(c) A cigarette.
(d) A suitcase.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who enters to speak to Claire in Act 3, Scene 1?
2. Where do Claire and Ill meet in Act 3, Scene 3?
3. Man One says that every bridesmaid was a what in Act 3, Scene 2?
4. The author states in the postscript that the townspeople must emphatically not be portrayed as what?
5. What does Ill ask for in his final moments in Act 3, Scene 4?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)