|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Schoolmaster says in his speech to the townspeople in Act 3, Scene 4, "Have we not always been a ____ community?"
2. What is Claire's ninth husband?
(a) A musician.
(b) A film star.
(c) A Nobel Prize winner.
(d) A plastic surgeon.
3. What is Mrs. Ill referring to when she says in Act 3, "They're in fashion today"?
(a) Large hair.
(b) High heels.
(c) Large breasts.
(d) High collars.
4. Who tries to speak up to the reporters in Act 3, Scene 2?
(a) The Schoolmaster.
(b) The Mayor.
(c) The Policeman.
5. What does Claire say of Sunshine Square in Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) She is going to buy it.
(b) She owns it.
(c) She burned it down.
(d) She is renovating it.
6. Who took away the child that Claire bore?
(a) The Salvation Army.
(b) State Agency.
(c) Women's Programme.
(d) The Adoption Center.
7. What does Claire tell her visitors they are covered in in Act 3, Scene 1?
(d) Animal hair.
8. From what passage of the bible did the Priest make a sermon in Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) Luther, thirteen.
(b) Revelations, nine.
(c) First Corinthians, thirteen.
(d) Matthew, thirteen.
9. Who enters to speak to Claire in Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) The Priest and the Doctor.
(b) The Doctor and Schoolmaster.
(c) The Mayor and the Doctor.
(d) The Priest and the Schoolmaster.
10. What does the author write gives rise to speech in the postscript?
(b) Thought and action.
(c) Ideas and feelings.
(d) Good diction.
11. Who does Claire say her ninth husband reminds her of in Act 3, Scene 3?
(a) The Duke of Earle.
(b) Count Alexander.
(c) Count Holk.
(d) Count Zisselman.
12. What does Ill cry out after the vote in Act 3, Scene 4?
(a) "Help me!"
(b) "My God!"
13. What does Ill's family leave him to go do in Act 3, Scene 3?
(a) Go visit relatives.
(b) Go to church.
(c) Go for a drive in the country.
(d) See a movie.
14. That author claims in the postscript that "nothing could harm this comedy with a tragic end more than ______."
(a) The avant-garde.
(b) Heavy seriousness.
15. What do the reporters want a photograph of Ill selling?
(a) An axe.
(b) A dagger.
(c) A fur.
(d) A rifle.
Short Answer Questions
1. In terms of performance, the author writes in the postscript that "all that is art should seem to be _____."
2. How does the author say the characters speak in the final scene in the postscript?
3. Who does the Schoolmaster say he is an admirer of in Act 3, Scene 2?
4. The author states in the postscript that the townspeople must emphatically not be portrayed as what?
5. In the postscript, the author writes that he has portrayed action and not what?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)