|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Finish the quotation: "Individual rights are the means of subordinating ________ to moral law."
(a) The individual.
2. According to Ayn Rand, on what basis must the individual give to public works?
3. Which country does Rand seek refuge after fleeing Soviet Russia?
(c) The United States.
4. According to Ayn Rand, this is the only time physical force is warranted.
(a) Crime of passion.
(c) Self defense.
(d) Government mandates.
5. What political system punishes irrationality and rewards rational thought?
Short Answer Questions
1. In which year was the essay, "The Monument Builders," published?
2. Which political system does Rand mention in "Collectivized Ethics," where she states men are free to produce and compete?
3. Rand does not believe in public projects because the public project does not benefit whom?
4. According to Rand, what do humans need if they are to live in a society?
5. Historically, what did socialist economic planning come about as a reaction to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Ayn Rand believe that a society must devise a moral code? How should a society decide upon a moral code?
2. How must an individual justify his/her action, as stated by Nathaniel Branden in his essay, "Counterfeit Individualism?"
3. What type of projects does the principle of "collectivized ethics" support, and by which means are those tasks carried out? Explain.
4. What does Rand consider to be the source of rights and how does she describe the origin?
5. How does Ayn Rand believe that a government should finance itself in a free society?
6. What is the definition of "power lust" as defined by Ayn Rand in her essay, "The Monument Builders?" Explain.
7. In Rand's essay, "Collectivized Ethics," Rand uses the principle to explain communism, communist thought, and society. Explain Ayn Rand's revulsion toward communism and how it pairs with collectivized ethics.
8. How does Ayn Rand describe "Socialism" in her essay, "The Monument Builders?"
9. Explain the idea of "Collectivized Rights" as Rand describes.
10. Explain the notion of "collectivized ethics" as mentioned in Ayn Rand's essay, "Collectivized Ethics."
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)