|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The notion that many people define individualism as the action of not conforming to the standard actions or ideas of the group is _________.
2. In Rand's essay, "Man's Rights," she describes several societies that exhibited a collectivist system. Which society is not included?
(a) Roman Empire.
(b) Ottoman Empire.
(c) Ancient Egypt.
(d) Ancient Greece.
3. According to Rand, which country was the first to establish a system in which the society was subordinated to the individual rights?
(a) The United Kingdom.
(b) Ancient Greece.
(c) Ancient Egypt.
(d) The United States.
4. What is "the notion of ascribing moral, social or political significance to a man's genetic lineage?"
5. Which political system does Rand mention in "Collectivized Ethics," where she states men are free to produce and compete?
Short Answer Questions
1. What political system is characterized by private or corporate ownership of property?
2. Rand does not believe in public projects because the public project does not benefit whom?
3. According to Ayn Rand, this is the only time physical force is warranted.
4. Which term is defined as "a manifestation of helplessness, of self-loathing and of the desire for the unearned?"
5. Rand describes that socialism can be practiced totally or partially. Which country does she use as an example of a partial socialist government?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the idea of "Collectivized Rights" as Rand describes.
2. How do people falsely define Individualism, as stated by Nathaniel Branden?
3. Explain the notion of "collectivized ethics" as mentioned in Ayn Rand's essay, "Collectivized Ethics."
4. What is the definition of "power lust" as defined by Ayn Rand in her essay, "The Monument Builders?" Explain.
5. In Rand's essay, "Collectivized Ethics," Rand uses the principle to explain communism, communist thought, and society. Explain Ayn Rand's revulsion toward communism and how it pairs with collectivized ethics.
6. What is the focus of the essay, "The Monument Builders?"
7. How does Ayn Rand believe that a government should finance itself in a free society?
8. What are Ayn Rand's views on mandatory taxation?
9. According to Ayn Rand, what are the benefits one can gain from living a social existence?
10. Does Ayn Rand believe that a society must devise a moral code? How should a society decide upon a moral code?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)