|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which monarch erected the palace of Versailles, as stated in Rand's essay "The Monument Builders?"
(c) Louis XVII.
(d) Louis XIV.
2. In which year was Rand's essay, "Collectivized Ethics," published?
3. What political system is characterized by private or corporate ownership of property?
4. In Rand's essay, "Man's Rights," she describes several societies that exhibited a collectivist system. Which society is not included?
(a) Ottoman Empire.
(b) Ancient Greece.
(c) Roman Empire.
(d) Ancient Egypt.
5. What does Nathaniel Branden state is a concept of ethics and politics and simultaneously a concept of ethics and psychology?
(d) Counterfeit individualism.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rand believes that the socialist theory as a whole is _______.
2. According to Rand, a nation has only the right to __________ of its individual citizens.
3. According to Objectivist thought, what does the individual live for?
4. Finish the sentence: According to Ayn Rand, society must provide an organized protection against _________.
5. Finish the sentence: Humans should think and judge __________, valuing their own intellect above all else.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ayn Rand believe that a government should finance itself in a free society?
2. In Rand's essay, "Collectivized Ethics," Rand uses the principle to explain communism, communist thought, and society. Explain Ayn Rand's revulsion toward communism and how it pairs with collectivized ethics.
3. Does Ayn Rand believe that a society must devise a moral code? How should a society decide upon a moral code?
4. How does Louis XIV fit into Ayn Rand's discussion in her essay, "The Monument Builders?"
5. What is Rand's view on the Civil Rights Bill of 1964?
6. Explain the notion of "collectivized ethics" as mentioned in Ayn Rand's essay, "Collectivized Ethics."
7. How must an individual justify his/her action, as stated by Nathaniel Branden in his essay, "Counterfeit Individualism?"
8. What does it mean to live an existence of stagnation, according to Nathaniel Branden? What scenarios does Nathaniel Branden present in his explanation?
9. Explain why Ayn Rand is against collectivized ethics.
10. What does Rand consider to be the source of rights and how does she describe the origin?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)