|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Rand, a nation has only the right to __________ of its individual citizens.
(a) Revoke the rights.
(b) Create the rights.
(c) Decide the rights.
(d) Protect the rights.
2. In which year was the essay, "The Divine Right of Stagnation," written?
3. Rand states that the actually effect of socialism have been ________ the alleged goals.
(a) Achieved with.
(b) Different from.
(c) Synonymous with.
(d) Opposite of.
4. Which of the following is not in violation of human survival as stated by the objectivist principle?
5. The notion that many people define individualism as the action of not conforming to the standard actions or ideas of the group is _________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Finish the sentence: Humans should think and judge __________, valuing their own intellect above all else.
2. Which country does Rand seek refuge after fleeing Soviet Russia?
3. According to Ayn Rand, this is the only time physical force is warranted.
4. According to Rand, what do humans need if they are to live in a society?
5. The principle of collectivized ethics supposes that one must live for the benefit of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does it mean to live an existence of stagnation, according to Nathaniel Branden? What scenarios does Nathaniel Branden present in his explanation?
2. How does Ayn Rand believe that a government should finance itself in a free society?
3. Explain the notion of "collectivized ethics" as mentioned in Ayn Rand's essay, "Collectivized Ethics."
4. Explain the idea of "Collectivized Rights" as Rand describes.
5. What does Rand consider to be the source of rights and how does she describe the origin?
6. How does Ayn Rand describe "Socialism" in her essay, "The Monument Builders?"
7. How does Louis XIV fit into Ayn Rand's discussion in her essay, "The Monument Builders?"
8. In Rand's essay, "Collectivized Ethics," Rand uses the principle to explain communism, communist thought, and society. Explain Ayn Rand's revulsion toward communism and how it pairs with collectivized ethics.
9. Explain why Ayn Rand is against collectivized ethics.
10. What is the definition of "power lust" as defined by Ayn Rand in her essay, "The Monument Builders?" Explain.
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)