|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of government financing does Ayn Rand propose in her essay, "Government Financing in a Free Society?"
(a) Dependent financing.
(b) Voluntary taxation.
(c) Mandatory taxation.
(d) Independent financing.
2. According to Objectivist thought, what does the individual live for?
(b) Moralist principles.
(d) The common good.
3. Rand vies for a political system in which public projects are not ________ society.
(a) Forced upon.
(b) Created by.
(c) Achieved by.
(d) Completed within.
4. The principle of collectivized ethics supposes that one must live for the benefit of what?
(c) Collective whole.
5. What is the extreme example Rand uses to illustrate what can go wrong in a society that doesn't uphold the rights of the individual?
(a) Nazi Germany.
(c) The United States.
(d) Soviet Russia.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which year was the essay, "The Divine Right of Stagnation," written?
2. In which year was the Civil Rights Bill passed?
3. Which form of government imposes laws of force and denies its citizens natural rights?
4. According to Rand, what is the only cure for racism?
5. In which political system does the government own all societal goods and provide the people with what they need?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rand consider to be the source of rights and how does she describe the origin?
2. How does Ayn Rand describe "Socialism" in her essay, "The Monument Builders?"
3. What are Ayn Rand's views on mandatory taxation?
4. How does Louis XIV fit into Ayn Rand's discussion in her essay, "The Monument Builders?"
5. How do people falsely define Individualism, as stated by Nathaniel Branden?
6. According to Rand, do humans need government? How does Ayn Rand define government?
7. Does Ayn Rand believe that a society must devise a moral code? How should a society decide upon a moral code?
8. According to Ayn Rand, what are the benefits one can gain from living a social existence?
9. What is the definition of "power lust" as defined by Ayn Rand in her essay, "The Monument Builders?" Explain.
10. In Rand's essay, "Collectivized Ethics," Rand uses the principle to explain communism, communist thought, and society. Explain Ayn Rand's revulsion toward communism and how it pairs with collectivized ethics.
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)