|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which year was the Civil Rights Bill passed?
2. According to Rand, a nation has only the right to __________ of its individual citizens.
(a) Decide the rights.
(b) Create the rights.
(c) Protect the rights.
(d) Revoke the rights.
3. Rand calls government taxation laws an initiation of _________.
4. Which country does Rand seek refuge after fleeing Soviet Russia?
(b) The United States.
5. In Rand's essay, "Man's Rights," she describes a right as the freedom of _______.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is "an institution that holds exclusive power to enforce certain rules for social conduct in a given geographical area?"
2. Which country established a socialist system by force?
3. Denying an individual his right to property is synonymous with denying him his right to _______.
4. In Rand's essay, "Man's Rights," she describes several societies that exhibited a collectivist system. Which society is not included?
5. According to Ayn Rand, the major problem of socialism is the denial of what type of rights?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the idea of "Collectivized Rights" as Rand describes.
2. Explain the notion of "collectivized ethics" as mentioned in Ayn Rand's essay, "Collectivized Ethics."
3. In Rand's essay, "Collectivized Ethics," Rand uses the principle to explain communism, communist thought, and society. Explain Ayn Rand's revulsion toward communism and how it pairs with collectivized ethics.
4. How do people falsely define Individualism, as stated by Nathaniel Branden?
5. How must an individual justify his/her action, as stated by Nathaniel Branden in his essay, "Counterfeit Individualism?"
6. What does Rand consider to be the source of rights and how does she describe the origin?
7. Does Ayn Rand believe that a society must devise a moral code? How should a society decide upon a moral code?
8. How does Ayn Rand describe "Socialism" in her essay, "The Monument Builders?"
9. What is Rand's view on the Civil Rights Bill of 1964?
10. What are Ayn Rand's thoughts on racism and how does she define it?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)