|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, "Collectivized 'Rights'", Ayn Rand (1963).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What concept is mentioned once in the book that according to Rand, largely influences collectivist, Western thought?
2. What type of scheme does Branden's essay on Mental Health versus Mysticism attempt to illustrate?
(a) Pros and cons.
(c) Cause and effect.
3. From the altruist perspective, saving the life of a stranger is equivalent to saving the life of _________.
(a) A loved one.
(c) All humans.
4. What is it impossible to pursue in a "non-free" society?
(b) Rational interests.
(d) Total freedom.
5. Which of the following vocabulary words were not defined in Branden's essay on Mental Health versus Mysticism?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Ayn Rand, the major problem of socialism is the denial of what type of rights?
2. The function of pleasure is to give a man his own sense of what?
3. According to Branden, which concept is used by Mystics to encourage human self-sacrifice?
4. Rand believes that the enactment of socialism has contributed to the _______ and destruction of individuals.
5. At the conclusion of Rand's essay on the Objectivist ethics, what does she state is the standard value for the Objectivist?
This section contains 215 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)