|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, "Isn't Everyone Selfish?" Nathaniel Branden (1962).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Finish the sentence based upon Rand's theory: One must achieve interests by her own efforts only and not at the expense of another's ______.
2. Which instinct does self-sacrifice directly contradict?
3. What does Branden acknowledge as being one of the major causes of mental degradation?
(a) Traditional doctrines.
(b) The government.
(c) Christian dogma.
4. Ayn Rand defines value as something that a person believes is necessary to do what?
(a) Obtain and keep.
(b) Keep and follow.
(c) Obtain and obey.
(d) Learn and keep.
5. What word does Rand state that philosophers substitute for God?
(c) The Church.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who created "good" and evil" according to Rand?
2. How does Rand define "society" in a basic sense?
3. According to "Isn't Everyone Selfish?", one must ask which question about the desired action?
4. In what year was "The Ethics of Emergencies" written?
5. Which of the following is not examined by Rand within "The Virtue of Selfishness?"
This section contains 191 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)