|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, "The Divine Right of Stagnation", Nathaniel Branden (1963).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What political system is characterized by private or corporate ownership of property?
2. What is "an institution that holds exclusive power to enforce certain rules for social conduct in a given geographical area?"
(c) Code of conduct.
3. Which of the following words is not included in those Rand uses to describe desire?
4. What are the two benefits one can gain from living a social existence?
(a) Happiness and trade.
(b) Knowledge and trade.
(c) Knowledge and happiness.
(d) Supply and demand.
5. From the altruist perspective, saving the life of a stranger is equivalent to saving the life of _________.
(b) A loved one.
(c) All humans.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Ayn Rand, on what basis must the individual give to public works?
2. What is it impossible to pursue in a "non-free" society?
3. What is the extreme example Rand uses to illustrate what can go wrong in a society that doesn't uphold the rights of the individual?
4. What country did Rand live in throughout her adulthood?
5. Finish the quotation: "Individual rights are the means of subordinating ________ to moral law."
This section contains 209 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)