|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, "The Divine Right of Stagnation", Nathaniel Branden (1963).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Ayn Rand, the major problem of socialism is the denial of what type of rights?
2. Rand states that the actually effect of socialism have been ________ the alleged goals.
(a) Synonymous with.
(b) Opposite of.
(c) Different from.
(d) Achieved with.
3. Finish the quotation: "Individual rights are the means of subordinating ________ to moral law."
(a) The individual.
4. Which of the following does not fall into the category of what Branden would consider a proper avenue for seeking pleasure?
(b) Working on a project.
(c) Writing a song.
(d) Watching television.
5. According to Ayn Rand, on what basis must the individual give to public works?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which German philosopher does Rand oppose within her own philosophical theory?
2. Which of the following words is not included in those Rand uses to describe desire?
3. In Rand's essay on "The 'Conflicts' of Men's Interests," what are the two ways she claims that goals can be met?
4. No one ever really sacrifices oneself because every direct action is motivated by a person's desire. What does Branden say about this statement?
5. Which country established a socialist system by force?
This section contains 237 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)