|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, "The Divine Right of Stagnation", Nathaniel Branden (1963).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Complete the sentence: In order to act in self interest, man must refuse to sacrifice a ________ value for a _______ one.
(a) Better, worse.
(b) Worse, better.
(c) Lower, higher.
(d) Higher, lower.
2. According to Branden, what must human beings have in order to have pleasure?
(a) A sense of purpose.
(c) Self esteem.
3. According to Branden, which word is intellectually confused with "selfishness?"
(c) Self amorous.
4. In which year was the essay, "The Monument Builders," published?
5. Which German philosopher does Rand oppose within her own philosophical theory?
Short Answer Questions
1. What notion does Branden attempt to refute in his essay, "Isn't Everyone Selfish"?
2. Which of the following is not included in the events of an emergency according to Rand's essay on "The Ethics of Emergencies"?
3. In what year was "The Ethics of Emergencies" written?
4. What are the two things Branden claims that perpetuate within society and threaten self-esteem?
5. According to Branden, which concept is used by Mystics to encourage human self-sacrifice?
This section contains 204 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)